Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NFL Protest Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Wasn't that shown to be false and just a attempt by some to muddy the water for their cause? I thought he came out and denied it himself.

Tebow was constantly kneeling down and praying during games - this was the 3rd qtr in the play-off game against the Steelers

12142011_14letters1-8127105.jpg

This was a week later before the play-off game against the Pats

636640766870522997-tebow0608.JPG?width=1080&quality=50

Tebow claims he never knelt during the anthem - he probably didn't - but I am sure that people are scouring through every game he ever played trying to find out if he did (and good luck to them - I wouldn't bother).

The difference between Tebow and Kaepernick - is that Tebow was constantly invoking religion - it was 'in your face' type stuff. Kaepernick's protest was never of the same character - he was not attempting to be an evangelist - his first protest was sitting in the background during a pre-season game. In fact - he wasn't the only player to sit that day - apparently the Seahawks Jeremy Lane sat beside him. Unlike Kaepernick - Lane (who also engaged in further protests) continued to play for the Seahawks - the Texans even traded for him in 2017 only for the trade to be void because Lane was injured.

It is also worth nothing that many players and coaching staff on the sidelines constantly do things other than stand for the anthem - as seen from this photo. But then again, the issue isn't that you fail to stand and 'respect' - its that you are willing to protest against injustice.

5c575ca02951e6bb3742e468d4b7bf2d.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Ford came out supporting the rights of players to protest how the see fit. Look forward to some videos of hillbillies setting their pickup trucks on fire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

To be fair, the Tebow anthem protest of abortions story is false - https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/tim-tebow-kneel-anthem

Shame he didn't make it in a way, the Jesus-offs between him and Russell Wilson would be absolutely epic.

Nike sales up 31% since taking on Kaepernick. Their stock is also right back where it was

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/what-boycott-nike-sales-are-31-percent-kaepernick-campaign-n908251

And I absolutely guarantee some of those were from people who tore up or burned their stuff and then almost immediately went out to buy more. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Billy86 wrote: »
    Nike sales up 31% since taking on Kaepernick. Their stock is also right back where it was

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/what-boycott-nike-sales-are-31-percent-kaepernick-campaign-n908251

And I absolutely guarantee some of those were from people who tore up or burned their stuff and then almost immediately went out to buy more. :pac:
    Wasn't there a report that he's been with them since ~2012?
    I know it's Labor Day weekend sales, but Nike knew it wasn't going to hurt them.
    Just as there are fools who'll burn stuff, there are fools that buy stuff at $175 https://kaepernick7.com/collections/...roducts/jersey

• Advertisement

Wasn't there a report that he's been with them since ~2012?
    I know it's Labor Day weekend sales, but Nike knew it wasn't going to hurt them.
    Just as there are fools who'll burn stuff, there are fools that buy stuff at $175 https://kaepernick7.com/collections/...roducts/jersey

Not that I'm aware of - the NFL has been with Nike since 2012 but no sign of Kaepernick from a Google search. And even if he were, nobody has been aware of it until a week or two back with said ad which is what the article was highlighting: Nike sales jumped by 31 percent after debuting quarterback-turned-activist Colin Kaepernick as a new company spokesman — and market observers say the president’s public displays of anger may have backfired by drawing more attention to Nike.

Labor Day weekend also does not account for a 31% increase in sales, especially for a product that apparently is being boycotted. Adidas stock went down a similar level to Nike's at the same time, but has not recovered. This is similar to when the same crowd smashed up the Keurig coffee machines only to then have the guy they were smashing them on behalf of go and buy them hundreds of new ones. End result: Keurig made a nice little bit of change and had a sales boost directly thanks to the same people who smashed theirs up as an act of (wait for it...) protest.

(wouldn't work as a link, so embedded)
    https://twitter.com/seanhannity/status/944051859479777280

I also think the $175 jersey thing is a big missed opportunity on his part and a dumb price point. If he sold them at the same price as regular NFL jerseys (which seems to be about $80-100) he could have really got one over on the NFL by having hundreds of those in the stands every week. So a missed opportunity there, but a huge win for Nike and Kaepernick at the expense of the NFL and in no small part due to Donald Trump's attempts to influence things in the other direction.

Labor Day weekend also does not account for a 31% increase in sales
    The article I saw said it was over the Labor Day extended weekend.
    So a missed opportunity there, but a huge win for Nike and Kaepernick at the expense of the NFL
    I don't think the NFL is doing too badly.

The article I saw kinda summed this all up really. Two years later the discussion is about Kap, protesting, the flag, the military, Trump, Nike........ and the actually issue not getting the coverage.

The article I saw said it was over the Labor Day extended weekend.
    Yes, but it also says that last year by comparison the jump was 17% - so it basically doubled the jump of last year despite there apparently being a boycott going on. Labor Day weekend does mean a bump in sales, but only about half of the 31% bump Nike just saw.
    I don't think the NFL is doing too badly.

The article I saw kinda summed this all up really. Two years later the discussion is about Kap, protesting, the flag, the military, Trump, Nike........ and the actually issue not getting the coverage.
    You're right that the NFL is doing pretty great all in all - the talk of "falling TV ratings" is gibberish because of the likes of Gamepass and other similar setups, which have NFL breaking record revenue year on year.

I'm also not surprised to see a lack of coverage on the issue as it's something a large amount of anti-protesters simply do not want to acknowledge and are hostile towards having pointed out to them, and then you have the US President breaking the laws of his own country while also making it into a large political issue to distract from his own unfortunate headlines.

This is often the case with protests, that those against them want to deal with everything but the issue itself - hence why those protesting have felt the need to resort to doing so. Sometimes the issue does not get addressed and sometimes it does, but in the case of the latter it often takes a long time for that to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

Didn't go as well as they though it would those boycotting and Burning Nike stuff

Nike stock hits all-time high, sparking climb in corporate value of roughly $5 billion since Kaepernick deal was announced

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/14/nike-stock-closes-at-a-record-high/

Can't be attributed to the KAp thing definitively but seen as those who hate Kap used the 3% decrease we might as well use their argument back against them

Kaepernick settled with the NFL and looks like he got paid...

https://twitter.com/mikefreemanNFL/status/1096495453548564480

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Fair play to Kaep. I like it when good guys win.

No collusion, no collusion. :pac:

Good on him though, he thoroughly deserves it and I doubt the prosecution ever needed to do more than just play every snap taken by Brett Hundley in 2017 to confirm that.

D9Male wrote: »
    Fair play to Kaep. I like it when good guys win.
    When I saw the news, I actually thought the NFL won. Even at the top figure of $80m, they've made this go away for peanuts for them. In the end, both sides settled, so not sure who won.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

When I saw the news, I actually thought the NFL won. Even at the top figure of $80m, they've made this go away for peanuts for them. In the end, both sides settled, so not sure who won.

The nfl gave up trying to win once someone traded for flacco!

He won I imagine and it will be seen that way. They paid someone to stop going to court. They knew they'd lose

They knew they'd lose
    Then why did Kaep settle? He could have gotten more maybe, and won in court to strengthen the outcome in his favor?
    All we actually know is that they both settled, with no view of the actual details; it could be that Kaep wasn't sure he'd win and so settled.

Then why did Kaep settle? He could have gotten more maybe, and won in court to strengthen the outcome in his favor?
    All we actually know is that they both settled, with no view of the actual details; it could be that Kaep wasn't sure he'd win and so settled.

Because civil suits in America can be dragged on for a decade with a massive bill for the suing party.

Because civil suits in America can be dragged on for a decade with a massive bill for the suing party.
    There’s a bill for both parties. If Kaep was sure to win, he’d get costs as well.

All we actually know is that both parties settled. I assume Kaep got some good money, and the NFL make it go away. Seems more of a win for the NFL to me, collusion case is no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Twitter saying around 60-80m for Kaep. I would call that a win for him, unlikely he would have earned much more in salary in the last few years and the fact the NFL paid him that shows they knew the jig was up.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,860 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

So Kaepernick accepts a big settlement and it's all hush, hush and people are happy about it.?
    I thought this wasn't about money, thought it was about black kids and the cops?
    So because Kaepernick gets his money it doesn't matter anymore?
    Basically he has accepted a settlement offer and it is all about him. People got conned by an athlete yet again.

eagle eye wrote: »
    So Kaepernick accepts a big settlement and it's all hush, hush and people are happy about it.?
    I thought this wasn't about money, thought it was about black kids and the cops?
    Basically he has accepted a settlement offer and it is all about him. People got conned by an athlete yet again.

I'm not sure where you are getting that the cause he protested for doesn't matter anymore. You're conflating two separate things there, as his protest during the anthem has nothing to do with settling here.

The lawsuit was essentially demanding lost earnings from the league and from all reports he's gotten that and more. What would have been the better result from taking it to trial? If anything there could be more in this settlement to benefit his cause than anything a judge could give.

I do wonder where all those posters are that were so adamant that he had absolutely no case and that he'd be laughed out of court.

• Advertisement

He was blacklisted and kept out of the league for his political beliefs. That is what the lawsuit was over. And he very clearly was. Some of the back ups in the league are easily worse than him

Foxtrol wrote:
    I do wonder where all those posters are that were so adamant that he had absolutely no case and that he'd be laughed out of court.
    Well I'd be one of those that didn't think he had a case because he had lost his way and become a poor QB before the kneeling started.

He was blacklisted and kept out of the league for his political beliefs. That is what the lawsuit was over. And he very clearly was. Some of the back ups in the league are easily worse than him
    Well and if I was a coach I wouldn't have signed him for two reasons, firstly because he was no good and secondly because if the potential for locker room conflict because of the kneeling.
    I don't think anybody could take a case against you over that because it's just good management.

Well I'd be one of those that didn't think he had a case because he had lost his way and become a poor QB before the kneeling started.

So I take from your lack of response to my other points that you also accept that you were talking out of your arse regarding the connection between accepting the settlement and the wider cause he was protesting

Foxtrol wrote:
    So I take from your lack of response to my other points that you also accept that you were talking out of your arse regarding the connection between accepting the settlement and the wider cause he was protesting
    I'm saying it might all have been a con job to get a nice payday.

I'm saying it might all have been a con job to get a nice payday.

You've really moved into tin foil hat territory there.

Pretty big risk he was taking running a 'con' over 2.5 years while giving away a lot of money to charity during that period, especially when you claimed he didn't have a case to begin with.

Blake bortles has a job. To this day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

2 teams have had Nathan Peterman on their roster too.

He was blacklisted and kept out of the league for his political beliefs.
    He was offered some deals I believe (Bronco’s), but wasn’t happy with the money. Reported to have wanted $20m to play in the AAF when approached. Ravens went for him, but fans went nuts. So he wasn’t exactly blacklisted.

With the Nike money and now this payoff, IMO he’s taken the money first and foremost. Totally up to him, but he hasn’t really suffered much and not the martyr some portray him as.

I personally do think he was at least good enough to be a backup for a number of teams; but he’s nowhere near the player he was in his first few years.

But he now has the chance to really make a difference and go down the political avenue if he so desires.

• Advertisement

Bortles is better than him and that's not saying much for either of them.

Advertisement