Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Munster vs Southern Kings, Fri 15th Feb 7:35pm; Eir Sports 2

• 14-02-2019 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭

Munster:
    Mike Haley; Andrew Conway, Chris Farrell, Rory Scannell, Darren Sweetnam; Tyler Bleyendaal (C), Neil Cronin;
    Jeremy Loughman, Niall Scannell, John Ryan; Jean Kleyn, Billy Holland; Fineen Wycherley, Chris Cloete, Arno Botha.

Replacements: Rhys Marshall, Liam O’Connor, Stephen Archer, Darren O’Shea, Gavin Coombes, Alby Mathewson, JJ Hanrahan, Dan Goggin.

Southern Kings:

15. Masixole Banda
    14. Yaw Penxe
    13. Meli Rokoua
    12. Berton Klaasen
    11. Bjorn Basson
    10. Bader Pretorius
    9. Stefan Ungerer

1. Schalk Ferreira
    2. Michael Willemse
    3. De-Jay Terblanche
    4. Andries Van Schalkwyk
    5. John-Charles Astle (captain)
    6. Stephan De Wit
    7. Martinus Burger
    8. Ruaan Lerm

Replacements:

16. Alandre Van Rooyen
    17. Alulutho Tshakweni
    18. Pieter Scholtz
    19. Stephan Greeff
    20. Andisa Ntsila
    21. Sarel Pretorius
    22. Tertius Kruger
    23. Ulrich Beyers

An absolutely stacked Munster starting XV has been named for what should be a comfortable victory over the visiting Southern Kings.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Very strong side. Would have liked to see Bill get the nod or bench spot though. And he did media so this seems strange...

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Very strong side. Would have liked to see Bill get the nod or bench spot though. And he did media so this seems strange...

That's an odd one alright. Hopefully it's not injury related.

That is a powerful side, even devoid of 6 nations players.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,951 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

the betting spread hasnt change after that announcement... so still there at -29 if anyones interested

• Registered Users Posts: 24,174 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Would have preferred to see a little bit more experimentation here for this one. There really isn't a weaker fixture in the season for any province to use for development. 13 of the 23 that beat Exeter will feature tomorrow night.

I'm hoping/assuming that guys like Oliver and Johnston are injured but they were involved in training this week so I'm somewhat confused by their absences.

Game should be enjoyable as an opportunity to see some tries and get some match fitness for a few guys.

• Advertisement

Southern Kings:

15. Masixole Banda
    14. Yaw Penxe
    13. Meli Rokoua
    12. Berton Klaasen
    11. Bjorn Basson
    10. Bader Pretorius
    9. Stefan Ungerer

1. Schalk Ferreira
    2. Michael Willemse
    3. De-Jay Terblanche
    4. Andries Van Schalkwyk
    5. John-Charles Astle (captain)
    6. Stephan De Wit
    7. Martinus Burger
    8. Ruaan Lerm

Replacements:

16. Alandre Van Rooyen
    17. Alulutho Tshakweni
    18. Pieter Scholtz
    19. Stephan Greeff
    20. Andisa Ntsila
    21. Sarel Pretorius
    22. Tertius Kruger
    23. Ulrich Beyers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

I'd imagine Chris Farrell gets taken off after 60 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

JVG has been very conservative with his selections in these type of games.
    Haley has played a huge amount already this season it would have been a good opportunity for his back up to get minutes there.
    TB has played very poorly in his last few outings and yet Johnston can't make the 23 against a side that won't get within 20 points.

Perhaps Bleyendaal is being given a chance to earn a contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Jesus! A vintage beating coming up for the Kings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Jewelers

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Jesus! A vintage beating coming up for the Kings.

do munster really give beatings in musgraves though , and that kings side is okish

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Buer wrote: »
    Would have preferred to see a little bit more experimentation here for this one. There really isn't a weaker fixture in the season for any province to use for development. 13 of the 23 that beat Exeter will feature tomorrow night.

I'm hoping/assuming that guys like Oliver and Johnston are injured but they were involved in training this week so I'm somewhat confused by their absences.

Game should be enjoyable as an opportunity to see some tries and get some match fitness for a few guys.

A fair point, but also I think this is an area that the provinces (Munster at least) have been getting better at.

In seasons past, we'd have a clear, distinct A and B team, who probably wouldn't even know each other if they met on the street. ;) The "B" team would start the season and be.. mediocre, the "A" team would come in en masse leading up the Heineken Cup and be better but very rusty. Swapping back then during international windows..

I don't think that's the best way to go. In the above team, we have three 'breaking through' players in Cronin, Loughman and Wycherly starting; and a few more from the fringes on the bench. To me, that's about the right number. Less fringe players than that, and it's a waste of an opportunity to give them experience. More than that, and you risk a bit of a messy/disjointed game.

IMO it's not just about getting them on the field and getting a result, you want them to be playing in the moves/style and at the pace of the senior team. Having 3 fringe players surrounded by established players should lead to useful experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Stone Gossard

Thought the King's FB was called Massive Panda when I looked first!

Thought the King's FB was called Massive Panda when I looked first!

Masixole Banda how does that look like massive panda do you have a bear fetish ?

Jewelers wrote: »
    Masixole Banda how does that look like massive panda do you have a bear fetish ?

I think that's a given now isn't it?!

I think that's a given now isn't it?!

does he **** in the woods ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Jewelers wrote: »
    do munster really give beatings in musgraves though , and that kings side is okish

This season
    49-13 v Ospreys.
    44-14 v Edinburgh.

3 x 25+ point wins there last season.

Munster normally win big in Cork have been hammering nearly everyone at home this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Defunkd

Would have preferred to see a little bit more experimentation here for this one.

It's getting late for experimentation.
    3 games after tonight - HC SF
    3 games after that - domestic league ends.

These 10's need more gametime. I'd have no concerns for cover in any other position, well, maybe 15.

Bill Johnston aside, I'm not sure how much leeway Munster would have to experiment, since we don't know how much influence the Irish management has. They are probably obliged to start the wider Ireland squad members (Niall Scannell, Ryan, Farrell and Conway) who are made available. Conway is the second option at fullback but if he has to start on the wing then it makes sense to keep Haley in the lineup. Neil Cronin is starting at 9 when players ahead of him are available. Jeremy Loughman is getting opportunities due to Kilcoyne's callup and Cronin's injury. Coombes will only become a senior player next season and he's selected ahead of Oliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Lovely February night weather here. Wind seems to be blowing in all directions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

King's carrying well..... Strangely

Well worked try... but it was so easy

King's carrying well..... Strangely

The Kings are good in attack. It's the other side of the ball that's the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Hope farrells alright, the guy can't catch a break this season

How many balls has Scannell kicked out of the ground?..3?

How did they not score there?

Kings will be getting a sinbin soon. Penalty after penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭padraig.od

What has happened to Farrell?

I make it 4 balls out now...

Goggin made a bad error there.. overlap and a certain try butchered with a poor pass attempt

• Advertisement

padraig.od wrote: »
    What has happened to Farrell?

Tweaked his knee.. taken off as a precaution Flannery said

Advertisement