Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What car do you wish you never sold?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Wedgie

A '91 Alfa 164. The last buy that I genuinely missed driving, until a few years ago when we picked up a four liter V6 Land Cruiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Tommyboy40

Strange one but a Volvo 940 estate. Most reliable car I ever owned. I loved the sheer enormity of it in my freelance days

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

I have a few regrets:
    1. 98 Toyota Celica Japanese import, (red top) yamaha engine. Cracking car super fun to drive and surprisingly economic on petrol, drove it abroad and lost it due to personal circumstances
    2. 08 Saab 9-3 1.0 diesel, what a great car, confy, fast and the parts were cheap. Sold it again due to personal circumstances
    3. 10 Alfa romeo giulietta 1.6 diesel, completely ridiculous car but what a looker and so much fun to drive. My heart still skips a beat when I see one on the road.
    The alfa has me set on getting another alfa when I decide to trade in my mazda 6.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Bada Bing Boy

A 99 Mitsubishi Galant VR4, manual saloon. Had to sell it on the cheap at the start of the recession to move to New Zealand.

The only car I think I'll ever own that cost me €20 a day in fuel!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 282 ✭✭Anthonylfc

2008 golf tsi 140bhp , white , 3dr , sunroof etc

Then in 2010 news of baby arrival had to get a family wagon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Mitsubishi Lancer Mivec, my first proper car after the usual learner car, cost me a bomb in insurance as I was 24 and on the learner license but loved it sold at the start of the recession with no job and a baby on the way :(

Toyota Levin a few years later sold it because I lost another job again during the recession and was worried I couldnt afford it on the dole.....got a new job 2 weeks later and was stuck with a crappy rusty 1.4 rover look a like civic :(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

95 EG6 Civic bog standard. Sold in 2001 for 2k.

Regret it every day. Thinking about getting one for family weekend spins.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

Honda CRX

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

My 1990 Rover 414 (R8 version, introduced in 1990) - sold it around 2001. A very comfy car to drive (despite not having power steering). Still miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭twignme

A 1976 MGB GT that I sold in 1984 as I was moving overseas. It was the most amazing car and took the pain away of having owned a disaster of a bucket that was my TR7 before it. I had NO regrets getting rid of the Triumph.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

My HGT punto

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

Nissan 200SX, mine was a creamy white like this one, kept it for 7 years, sold it to a Donegal chap who sprayed it orange and went drifting in it. It didn't last long after that.

NISSAN200SX-994_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Only 2 and I'm trying not to make that 3!

First on the list is the entrance into the world of Mercedes. It was rusty, it was hilariously clocked (service history right up to 239k miles, full MB to 185k!), expensive to run with the mileage I was doing and I absolutely didn't care as I absolutely loved driving this car, it was so much fun. I hadn't the room for it in 2015 and shipped it on. Never seen it since

Large image!
    Another large image!

The only other one I ever regretted was this humble 406... Ironically the Merc above replaced! Spent a lot of time getting the engine turned up the way I wanted and it never disappointed. Others may have been disappointed their cars were getting left behind by a rough looking 406 though :cool:
    IMG_0134.JPG
    13832526603_2c4da0a2f8_h.jpg

But I bought this one back a few years later ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,806 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

OSI wrote: »
    My Mk5 GTI

+1

Of the cars I've owned it is my favourite. I probably would have had at least another one but the VW dealer made me a laughable offer on a new one.

473110.jpg

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Pretty sure we had a similar thread recently?

Anyway first was an '88 Sierra Cosworth Sapphire 2WD in Moonstone Blue - had it from '96 to '01 or '02 but had to let ig go as it spent more time in the garage than on the road. Think I had to let it go for 2 or 3k lol

Second was a '96 Merc C230K (W202), had if from '05 ish to '13 ish - the tax became too much at over a grand. Fantastic tourquey engine. Sold for €400

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

Mitsubishi FTO 1997 GPX Mivec Manual.

Quick enough, gorgeous to look at, no tacky spoilers, Mongoose exhaust not too loud but great sound, comfortable on long drives and raised interest / attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭KevRossi

1989 Peugeot 505 GRD Estate. Fabulous memories of summer of 1998 in that car. Clean as a whistle. Ended out in the Ivory Coast.

1968 Beetle convertible, got it in a scrapyard in Germany for €1100. No interior, no roof, drivetrain seized. Restored it with herself for another €6000. Still on the road 2 years ago.

1959 Isetta. Most fun car I ever had. Still on the road in Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

An early 90's Rover Mini. Was owned by a Mini nut before me who had taken a well minded 60k mile car with afew rust issues and had it completely restored and repainted to a high standard. He had a thread on a Mini website detailing the whole process with pictures of it down to the shell.

It had some wiring issues still so I got it updated with blade fuses, replaced a couple of driveshaft seals and had the carb and timing tuned as it was running rich. After that it flew through the test. Bought a set of minilites for it, and added a bit of bling with chrome wipers, wing mirrors and bumpers. It was a show stopper. But I got a bit sick of the cramped driving, found myself not wanting to drive it any further than around local and sold it to a chap who was buying it as a wedding present for his wife.

I always regret selling it, I'll never get one in as good condition nowadays without paying 3 times what I paid for it.

OSI wrote: »
    My Mk5 GTI.

Was the first car I bought myself and was just the right combination of comfy and fun. It wasn't particularly fast, but it was easy to get into it's fun side and was a pleasure to push on. Put 100k on that car. The Mk7 I replaced it with was faster, comfier and better equipped, but it never had the lighter side that the Mk5 had, always felt like you had to push it a lot further to unleash it's giggly elements.
    +1

Of the cars I've owned it is my favourite. I probably would have had at least another one but the VW dealer made me a laughable offer on a new one.

I have my mk5 for 7 years now and I made the decision a while back that I'm going to keep it for good. While its still worth a few thousand I'd just hate to sell it even if it meant a few thousand towards my next car, will be my main for for another little while yet though.

I'll be building a big garage as part of my house build so even though it eventually wont be in daily use it be inside all the time, I'm actually looking forward to having it inside and parked up for a while as while it is in good condition overall I want to bring it back to top notch excellent condition over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭CorkMan_

I can't say I really regret it but loss of storage meant I'd to sell my BMW E30 in 2016. Had it 11 years but found it's lack of refinement more and more annoying as time went on. Plus it needed a bit of body work around the firewall/front wheel arches. I was in Scotland when my brother in law sold it for me and didn't he give the reg cert to the buyer who has never registered it into their name (I still get tax reminders). So I have no idea where it is etc. It was an original Irish chrome bumper model too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I always try to hold onto a car for at least 2 years and have owned some absolutely great motors, so for me I dont really miss any in particular but would have loved to have been able to have a collection with the FTO, Chaser and Supra, my two Hondas were just commuting cars so no love lost there. I will be moving the Supra on after its NCT and getting another Japanese car.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

My last one ,honda insight hybrid,,,60 plus MPG minimum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Either of my e39 sports models.
    A black 2001 530i sport or a silver 2004 525i sport.
    Both great great cars that I let go for peanuts. Didn't pay huge money for them either mind you but letting them go for so cheap was tough.

Have an f10 530d and and Audi a6 now both 2014 which are great cars but I think I'll always remember the e39s. Saw one on the road today the sports models still have great presence if kept looking right.

Was only 26 when I got the 530i I loved it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Mine was a 1990 Ford Orion 1.3 ohv My first car after I got my full licence.
    It was an ex reps car that was traded in and was lying in stock for a couple of years.
    It needed a load of work at the time - service ,brakes front and rear,clutch ,couple of engine mounts,door handles so I got it at great deal.

I worked in a Ford Dealer at the time and the parts manger (I was a lowly parts junior)told me he`d give me all the parts at cost if I did the work myself.

Id never touched a car in my life but he made me do everything by showing me how to do it at lunchtime over a couple of weeks.

I can remember JD (R.IP. man) sitting there chain smoking his John Player Blue and making me do every bit of work that car needed on my own.

I learned more in those 2 weeks than Ive ever learned in the trade or from anyone again.
    Sadly he passed away a couple of years ago way too young.

If anyone ever sees that car (90D24594) Id buy it back tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

My Mazda 6 MPS. Had to sell it to fund going back to college. Heartbreaking to see it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

My 2000 Honda S2000. Nothing like hitting 9000rpm with the top down on a sunny day. Silver, red and black interior. Bulletproof engine.

Sold on as it tried to kill me one too many times in wet conditions. Will buy another in the next year or two as a weekend toy.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Funny timing, I found a photo from over 10 years ago in my glovebox earlier this evening.

Instantly and always regretted selling this one, 1995 FTO V6 manual MIVEC with some really nice factory options and mods added in Japan, I added a few myself, it was a really well sorted car.
    Sold it to a fellow FTO enthusiast at the start of the first recession, it got stolen from him shortly afterwards and was unfortunately written off.

C2-F05-D9-D-7059-429-E-8-E63-8-A47-E8-ADBD6-F.jpg

Remember this one from the fto-ireland forum. Wanted it but didn't have the cash at the time! Bootiful!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

A grade 4.5 Integra Type R (DC2) that I imported personally from Japan in 2008 after waiting for nearly 12 months for the right car to appear at auction. The car was mint in every way with less than 70k kms and I added a few very tasteful modifications. Then in 2010 we were expecting baby number 1 and also decided to move house and buy outside town and so to raise some extra funds I sold the car. I have regretted it ever since as I didn't need to sell it, we could have managed without the money I got for the car. I seen the car for sale recently and its been stripped off parts, clearly been in an accident and abused in general yet the seller is looking for more money for it now than I sold it for 9 years ago!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

. I seen the car for sale recently and its been stripped off parts, clearly been in an accident and abused in general yet the seller is looking for more money for it now than I sold it for 9 years ago!

There's only one thing for it....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

IrishZeus wrote: »
    My 1991 Honda S2000. Nothing like hitting 9000rpm with the top down on a sunny day. Silver, red and black interior. Bulletproof engine.

Sold on as it tried to kill me one too many times in wet conditions. Will buy another in the next year or two as a weekend toy.

2001 surely :confused:

Advertisement