Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What car do you wish you never sold?

Options
  • 13-02-2019 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Most people who are into cars have sold at least one that they regret!
    What cars have you sold that you wish you could have back?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Jerry5 wrote: »
    Most people who are into cars have sold at least one that they regret!
    What cars have you sold that you wish you could have back?

Are you A) not into cars B) not interested in your own thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Jerry5

Are you A) not into cars B) not interested in your own thread?

Why do you say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Maybe you might start with yours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

My fast(ish) Mazda .

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Maybe you might start with yours?

I had a 96 Mini Cooper Jap Import that I had restored, When we bought our house I needed the extra cash for a deposit so had to let it go. Was gutted!

I didn't learn though I got a 03 Estoril Blue M3 and thought I had to let it go because we were expecting a new arrival and needed a 4 door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

so many!

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Philb76

91 Peugeot 205xs had it two years was only car ever owned that i got back wot i paid for it really reliable good fun to drive and was nippy had a manual sunroof lovely grey colour no power steering the rest no regrets at all and couldn't wait to see the back of a couple

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭shooter69

A 3.0 V6 Touareg , loved that yoke and never missed a beat , was a commercial and as the kids arrived I knew it’s days were numbered ...saw it recently still on the road and looking in great nick !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

My second favourite car ever (currently own the favourite of them all). It was a dazzling red 1971 Ford Cortina Mk3 1300. With go faster stripes and all.

Bought it in 76. Having my head turned by the new Jap models with fancy dashboards, I traded it in, in 1980 for a brand new rust bucket. Have always regretted it. Was driving through Clare in about 1994 and it passed me (going in the opposite direction). Heart leaped for joy. SNI 71, if any of ye have it in the back yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Loads

Let off an a4 at tail end of Celtic tiger.
    Spotless and remapped. Was just hitting 100k miles. Bought a nearly new passat to replace, no comparison.

Had a golf gti mark 2 as a second car. Didn't have the time or space to do up. Let off for peanuts....

Had a 330d and got company van. Let off to a cousin for small money. Only car I had ever kept for more than 2 years. Left company again and lost van. Should still be driving it. Come back.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Saab 93 is biggest regret, sold it after the company went bust for not sure exactly why......

Second would maybe be A6, some day would just love it again for a long drive

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Saab 93 is biggest regret, sold it after the company went bust for not sure exactly why......

Second would maybe be A6, some day would just love it again for a long drive

Was going to post the same thing! Let it go during the recession as I thought I didnt need two cars. Kept a polo as it was cheaper to run. Regret it to this day and I'm really thinking of getting another! Or the new 9-5

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Aska

2001 Evo 6. (01 DL 6)

Cannont find it anywhere, probably wrote off now as not show up on any searches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

godtabh wrote: »
    Was going to post the same thing! Let it go during the recession as I thought I didnt need two cars. Kept a polo as it was cheaper to run. Regret it to this day and I'm really thinking of getting another! Or the new 9-5

I seen a Saab one up North, was in pristine condition...was going to buy but Misses would go mad if I landed with another car :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

2004 Clio 1.5dci 2 door.

Absolutely cracking car.

UK car, re-registered in Ireland in 2007.

Hopefully she's still going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Baybay

07 VW Eos, bought new. Loved it but put a few too many kms on it so let it go after three years. See it occasionally & still love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I have 3 cars that should never have left the yard.

Subaru Legacy S1 RS, took years to find one, this one had a decently upgraded STI engine fitted and was a bit of an animal, a rolling road back in the day had it at close to 400 bhp... sadly the engine sh1t itself and it was parked up with plans to restore it back to original but unfortunately the recession put a stop to the restoration plan and I couldn’t bear to see it deteriorate so I sold it on to someone who could look after it better than I could at the time... Prices of these have risen a lot and they’re rare, doubt I’ll ever get my hands on another :(

Subaru Impreza STI wagon, sold this to purchase the next car Focus RS. Broke my heart when I had it but it’s one of the cars I regret selling. Had a conservative map put on it with plenty of pops and bangs but my god could that yoke move and with the all wheel drive it stuck to the road...

Ford Focus RS, a rare 2002 press launch car #188 of 4500. As original as you could get and a hoot to drive. Torque steer was a b..stard if you weren’t ready for it. I do hope to get another later this year if I can but value is flying up on these too. In terms of a front wheel drive, it’s definitely my favorite.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭scannerd

91 toyota soarer tt 2.5, nice smooth solid dayly with the right foot smile button

scannerd wrote: »
    91 toyota soarer tt 2.5, nice smooth solid dayly with the right foot smile button

Always loved these, beautiful car

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Two cars

My first car was a 94 bullet proof Corolla. Parents bought it brand new, put 50,000miles on it in 3 years and sold it to an aunt. I bought it from her 12 years later with 56,000 miles on it, gave it a new clutch and tyres and learnt to drive in it. Passed it on to my sister and she sold it last year. I was tempted to buy it, couldn’t get insuranced for a reasonable price due to age of car, but still should have taken it.

01 1.4 golf. Had 2 cars in household and only needed one. Decided to keep the wife’s 1.4 focus because it was a few years younger. The golf was sluggish and used more oil than petrol, but I only regret selling it because the focus was sluggier and in general just bloody awful :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Funny timing, I found a photo from over 10 years ago in my glovebox earlier this evening.

Instantly and always regretted selling this one, 1995 FTO V6 manual MIVEC with some really nice factory options and mods added in Japan, I added a few myself, it was a really well sorted car.
    Sold it to a fellow FTO enthusiast at the start of the first recession, it got stolen from him shortly afterwards and was unfortunately written off.

C2-F05-D9-D-7059-429-E-8-E63-8-A47-E8-ADBD6-F.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Tesla P90D. Not in Ireland. But US. Sold due to family requirements. Miss ludicrous mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,482 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Of all things, a 93 Astra GSi, was my first decent car after starting off in succession of Fiestas.

Insurance nearly bankrupted me, it tried to kill me repeatedly, I tried to kill it repeatedly.
    For all that, it was hilarious to drive, went on all manner of adventures. If memory serves me right the introduction of the NCT saw me selling it on for something stupidly low.

2j2hnxu.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Glen Immal

2cv6
    Most fun car I ever owned - like a four seat motorbike with an umbrella on top,
    Any nay sayers usually changed their tune when they had a drive in it.
    Would be worth a fortune now if in good condition

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

A 92 Sierra 2ltr dohc with efi.The body work was getting rough and the exhaust was in bits but she was fun to drive in wet weather and she would try and put you in the ditch at every opportunity.a great car for doughnuts.

Here is a few pics of the M3 and Mini. I know where both are waiting for the day the new current owners are willing to part!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mrpdap

Had a gorgeous 1990 bmw 316
    Still sad about letting it go

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭M7roadrunner

Very original 1995 E34 525i sport, Avis Blue with black leather, I sold it to get into its younger equivalent and had asked the buyer to allow me first refusal if he ever decided to get rid.
    Spotted it on DoneDeal a few months after for sale in a different part of the country with some yellow tinted fogs and some porkies on the details.
    I felt sad.
    I haven’t seen it since.

A 99 fiesta car-van I had years ago, was a mighty yoke and would have been fierce handy to have around the place as a spare car.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

A 93 Ford Capri Gt4 in green. The car I learned to drive in and had all sorts of adventures with.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement