Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Donegal Spewsday

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

Great stuff. The colleges are one of the foundations of the city's success. Hope they all have a great time and stay safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭ratracer

Should be a good week for some of the pubs so! It’d be great to be a carefree student again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,297 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Doesn't seem too mental so far. Drove through Woodquay and there was a small enough crowd outside both Barr an Caladh and the Hole.

Forecast is good for the week too so there won't be much rain to drive them indoors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Students are such softies nowadays with their Cleancut Meals and their vape pens.

Back in my day lecturers used to get one of those safari jeeps and would boot it all around the city centre wrangling students back in for 4 o'clock lectures.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I hope they have the craic.

Good luck to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

What lovely comments so far. Where are all the ones from xmas day...

I'd love to be in there with them, I always thoroughly enjoyed rag week (I think, memory wasn't the strong point of the week drinking from morning to nightclub close everyday :pac:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Live and let live. There's no harm in it and you're only young once.

I'm a journalist and I remember a year or two ago doing interviews at The Hole in the Wall and also doing vox pops with people passing by.

One old lad - say he would've been 80 if not older - said "I wish I could've done that back in my day, hope they've a great time!"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

We were all young once.hopefully the week passes quietly and they all go home at the weekend without any tragedy happening.each to their own and once they aren’t harming anyone they’re just young ones blowing off steam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Was in town today and saw 2 students falling out onto the road outside McGettingans pissed with drink

• Advertisement

The craic

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Was in town today and saw 2 students falling out onto the road outside McGettingans pissed with drink
    Shocking, are you okay?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,888 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Live and let live. There's no harm in it and you're only young once.

I'm a journalist and I remember a year or two ago doing interviews at The Hole in the Wall and also doing vox pops with people passing by.

One old lad - say he would've been 80 if not older - said "I wish I could've done that back in my day, hope they've a great time!"

That was probably Stephen Fahy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Very well behaved so far by Donegal Tuesday standards.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Had to dodge a student tripping out onto the road on Salmon Weir bridge earlier. Van behind me beeped at the same guy as he stepped out in front of him too. Stopped at next lights and along comes the young lad banging on yer man's window and giving him guff for beeping. I'd say he was lucky the lights went green just then...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Very well behaved so far by Donegal Tuesday standards.
    fairly tame from bit I've seen around town. Leaving Galway now but just seen a small number of Donegal jerseys and not much else. (Much fewer than previous years...)

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

Why are the public pathways from the hole in the wall pub back to Eglinton Street allowed to be used for queuing. Bouncers outside obviously working for the pub in question. Extra garda on duty at the taxpayers expense, not the expense of the hole in the wall which is the main culprit for all this donegal Tuesday sh*%te.. Are any of the licensed premises going to be held in part responsible or is it just a case of endless bitchin about it being the fault of the college... Im sure the residents of bohermore and surrounding areas would like a few answers after the crap they have had to deal with the last couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Severely locked crew by hole in the wall today around 3 ish. 99% were good natured and having the craic and so what if they were b*llixed at that time :)

There were messers but mostly worried about the ones (there were a few) falling into traffic and belting cars. The latter were just gobsh*tes, but the former I'd worry about as drivers tend not to be as on guard for drunk obstacles at 3pm. I had one fall into me on the bike, too drunk to apologise but gave me a wave! :pac:

Reports of some of the g-sh*tes up Bohermore egging houses. It's a pity because it's only a minority behaving this badly.

smurf492 wrote: »
    Why are the public pathways from the hole in the wall pub back to Eglinton Street allowed to be used for queuing. Bouncers outside obviously working for the pub in question. Extra garda on duty at the taxpayers expense, not the expense of the hole in the wall which is the main culprit for all this donegal Tuesday sh*%te.. Are any of the licensed premises going to be held in part responsible or is it just a case of endless bitchin about it being the fault of the college... Im sure the residents of bohermore and surrounding areas would like a few answers after the crap they have had to deal with the last couple of days.
    Would you prefer the alternative of it being more messy and more chance of accidents?
    Cordon off footpath. Keeps people on footpath more and not on road *should at least obv not guaranteed*

• Registered Users Posts: 25,666 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Would you prefer the alternative of it being more messy and more chance of accidents?
    Cordon off footpath. Keeps people on footpath more and not on road *should at least obv not guaranteed*

You're not wrong.

But it is illegal as well. People who've had to obey this law in their own businesses tend to get upset when other people break it.

• Advertisement

People queue for things on the street all the time, this is one day of the year just cross the road and walk in the other path ffs. Where do people expect them to queue if not on the path?

People queue for things on the street all the time, this is one day of the year just cross the road and walk in the other path ffs. Where do people expect them to queue if not on the path?

Not the point.

The issue is that a private business took control of the public footpath.

Why should Mr Fahy be able to do that, when other businesses can't?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Not the point.

The issue is that a private business took control of the public footpath.

Why should Mr Fahy be able to do that, when other businesses can't?
    All the nightclubs in town do it don't they.

They do and it isnt issue there. There would be far more potential issues if you dont corden off footpath for people queueing for these places

Yes. But it's still illegal.

Some illegal things which are ok at night l, when regular pedestrians aren't around, aren't appropriate during the day when they are.

Mr Fahy's licence says he should not be serving people who are intoxicated. If he kept to the terms of that, then no barriers would be needed.

Yes. But it's still illegal.

Some illegal things which are ok at night l, when regular pedestrians aren't around, aren't appropriate during the day when they are.

Mr Fahy's licence says he should not be serving people who are intoxicated. If he kept to the terms of that, then no barriers would be needed.
    It isnt illegal and gardai would prefer it to the greater likelihood of incidents if you dont have barriers.
    And every pub/bar/nightclub serves people who are intoxicated and .... your attitude is ridiculous.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

It is beside the point but The Hole In The Wall owners or staff did not come up with the concept of Donegal Tuesday. It originated there alright but not because of management.

Anyway by all accounts it seems quieter this year.

It was definitely quieter and less violent this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

Andrew00 wrote: »
    It was definitely quieter and less violent this year

Great. Have to say I was heartened with the comments in here about people enjoying themselves. Was not expecting it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,358 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Top thread title ha ha :D:D:D

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement