Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I Heart Running!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

17th-23rd December

Monday 70mins easy, 6.2m@11.23
    Tuesday 6x3mins @CV, managed 3 reps and then had to abandon the session:(
    45mins S&C class
    Wednesday 50mins easy, 4.4m@11.03
    45mins S&C class
    Thursday 70mins easy, 6.3m@11.18
    Friday 5x5mins @ threshold, 5.9m
    Saturday rest
    Sunday 6m hill run

Total 33.2m

24th-31st December

Monday 70mins easy, 6.7m@10.59
    Tuesday rest
    Wednesday 70mins easy, 6.2m@10.02
    Thursday rest
    Friday 30mins tempo@8.26, wu&cd, 5.9m
    Saturday rest
    Sunday 5.9m hill run
    Monday half marathon trail run

Unexpected PB today. I didn’t really have a plan for this run, I just wanted to enjoy it and so purposely didn’t look at my watch throughout. I met some lovely people and had some nice chats along the way and then at 11/12 miles a guy I was running with said if we stay at this pace we’ll get in at 1:48..... I couldn’t believe it, my Dublin half Pb was 1:48:49... so I immediately stopped chatting and suddenly felt the pressure to get a pb.
    I finished the race in at 1:47:29. Delighted with myself and it was a lovely way to finish a great year of running!

Total 24.8m + HM

Total miles for the year 1436m

Ha ha - you are a right chatter box on these fun runs! Imagine what pace you could have done if you’d saved your energy :D Also impressive is doing it the day after a hill run!! You are in great shape. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Great running. Well you did say you wanted to beat my first HM time...now you can target my second attempt! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Ha ha - you are a right chatter box on these fun runs! Imagine what pace you could have done if you’d saved your energy :D Also impressive is doing it the day after a hill run!! You are in great shape. Well done.

I know... I can’t help myself, I think it helps to take the pressure off a bit but I really should learn to stop, I think I’ll have to wear headphones next time :)

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Great running. Well you did say you wanted to beat my first HM time...now you can target my second attempt! ;-)

YAY :D I had forgotten I said that in May, brilliant!!
    I might need a few more years to hit your second attempt though!

I know... I can’t help myself, I think it helps to take the pressure off a bit but I really should learn to stop, I think I’ll have to wear headphones next time :)

To be honest I can’t either usually unless I’m under pressure - I let you do the talking in Clon when I was finding it tough ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭ariana`

You're going from strength to strength and deservedly so. That was a big PB to pull off, congratulations, super end to an amazing year where you proved that there's no magic bullet, it's just consistent sensible training that gets results. Unfortunately it's not all logged here but we'll forgive you that, better late than never eh :D;)

I knew ever since that run with Lazare back in the autumn of '17 that you would nail all your targets as time went by. It's been great following your progress since then. :)

1st-6th Jan

Not the best start of the year for me, was sick all week and didn’t get out of any runs

7th-13th Jan

Mon 75mins easy, 7.1miles @ 10.50/mi
    Tues 70mins easy, 6.4 miles @ 10.50/mi
    45mins S&C class
    I skipped my session and did an easy run because my head was still bunged up
    Weds 70mins easy, 6.7miles @ 10.19/mi
    45mins S&C class
    I tried to do most of this run on the grass because my calves were so tight. I had to stop a few times to stretch
    Thurs rest
    Fri 3x8mins @ threshold, 8.03,8.05,8.03, 5.8miles
    I was dreading this session and I was so tempted to do another easy run but knew I’d regret it if I did. I was glad I got it done and felt really good running it
    Sat 1hr45mins, 10.4miles @ 10.03/mi
    Sun rest

Total miles 36.6miles

14th-20th January

Mon: 70mins easy, 6.6mi@10:31
    Tues: 10x300m@1mile pace (6:51) 1min rec, I wasn't watching my watch and did 11 by accident. This is the fastest pace I've ever ran!! I only managed to hit pace 6/11 times :o
    45mins S&C class
    Weds: 60ish mins easy, 6mi'10:20
    Thurs: Rest
    Fri: 4x8mins@HM (8:00-8:16), 90sec rec, 6.5m. Loved this one
    Sat: Rest
    Sun: Castlecomer IMRA race 5.3miles@9.45

Total: 29.5miles

Ugh... don't know what's wrong with me, I really felt my calves tight on Tuesdays session and for the rest of the week my lower legs felt dead, I praying I'm not on the verge of injury! I'm trying to stretch them out and foam roll as my as possible but I think I'll have to book a sports massage.

I skipped my long run this weekend because I was doing the IMRA race.
    I loved it, I found some parts of it really though, even though the elevation wasn't too high there was a lot of rolling hilly bits in quick succession and it was the first time in a race where I understood what it felt like to be pushed to my limits, I did have to walk a little bit to catch my breath :eek: but I'm hoping the hill running will improve my road racing and my cardio strength.

Get that sports massage ASAP. Make sure you are foaming rolling your quads and glutes too. Hopefully it’s just a tightness.

• Advertisement

Thanks K, i’ve One booked for Monday. You were actually the first person I thought of when it started :pac:

21st-27th Jan

Mon: 70mins easy, 6.2miles @ 11.10
    Tues: 8x3mins @ CV, 400m rec, 6.6miles
    45mins S&C class
    This session was not good! Fitness wise I felt fine but my calves were dead, I had no speed in them at all. My CV pace is 7:36-7:46 but I only managed 7:49, 7:48, 7:55, 7:43, 7:51, 7:55, 7:43, 7:51 and 7:55. I was really feeling sorry for myself after this
    Wed: rest
    Thurs running rest and 45mins S&C class
    Fri: rest again!
    Sat: 30min tempo, 7.6miles
    I decided to do this session at a parkrun. My plan was to do my warm up on the way to the parkrun but left my house late and ended up rushing (as per usual) so my heat rate was high by the time I got there. I just made it in time for the start, of course I ended up dashing off and my first mile was too fast. I managed to keep it in range for the next 2 miles. I messed up the end of the session when I paused my watch and ended up doing 35mins tempo. My legs were tired and tight after this
    Sun: Rest

Total: 20.4miles, not the best week!

28th Jan- 3rd Feb

Mon: I went for a much needed sports massage. It was so sore but oh so good! He told me my calf pain is coming from my achilles, I've no injury but I have to massage them out myself and do more foam rolling
    Tues: 60mins easy, 5.7miles @ 10.37
    45mins S&C class
    Wed: 12x75min@CV, 6.1miles
    I felt so much better doing this session, I got all of them in range apart from the first 2 but once I settled into it I enjoyed it
    Thurs: 60mins easy, 5.6miles @ 10.52
    45mins S&C class
    Fri: Rest
    Sat:4x10mins@HM, 8.5miles
    I got a bit carried away with this session but my legs were finally feeling strong again. My HM pace is 8:16 but I did this at 8min/miles, I wasn't watching my watch and I just wanted to run at a comfortable fast pace. I felt really good at the end of this session.
    Sun: 2hrs easy, 11.6miles@10.32

Total: 37.7miles

Interesting reading this now I know the plans so much better and also when i’m Starting the HM one too in a few weeks. 12 reps at cv pace sounds fun! I really like the idea of 4xHM pace one - I like those slightly longer intervals.

Hope the foam rolling etc is going well.

4th-10th February

Monday: 65mins easy, 6.5miles @10.03, I had company for this so it was a little faster than usual
    Tuesday: running rest, 45mins S&C class
    Wednesday: 10mins, 7mins, 3mins @tempo (8.28), thres(8.07), CV(7.39) wu&cd, 5.1miles
    Thursday: 60 min easy, 5.6miles @ 10.44
    45mins S&C class
    Friday: 30min tempo, wu&cd, my tempo pace should be between 8.20-8.33 but with the winds I could only hit 8.39
    Saturday: 1hr45 easy, 10.1miles @10.26
    Sunday: 30mins recovery, 3.1miles @10.53

Total: 37.1miles

A good week, legs are feeling good again :)

4th-10th February

Monday: 65mins easy, 6.5miles @10.03, I had company for this so it was a little faster than usual
    Tuesday: running rest, 45mins S&C class
    Wednesday: 10mins, 7mins, 3mins @tempo (8.28), thres(8.07), CV(7.39) wu&cd, 5.1miles
    Thursday: 60 min easy, 5.6miles @ 10.44
    45mins S&C class
    Friday: 30min tempo, wu&cd, my tempo pace should be between 8.20-8.33 but with the winds I could only hit 8.39
    Saturday: 1hr45 easy, 10.1miles @10.26
    Sunday: 30mins recovery, 3.1miles @10.53

Total: 37.1miles

A good week, legs are feeling good again :)

That's a great week. Delighted to hear the legs are feeling good again.

I just realised your Tempo pace is faster than my Threshold pace :eek: Once upon a time our paces were fairly similar :o

ariana` wrote: »
    That's a great week. Delighted to hear the legs are feeling good again.

I just realised your Tempo pace is faster than my Threshold pace :eek: Once upon a time our paces were fairly similar :o

It won’t be too long until they are the same again! I probably benefited from not doing the marathon last year but I always thought you were a better runner than me!

That was great mileage. You don;t normally run 6 days, do you?

That was great mileage. You don;t normally run 6 days, do you?

No, I usually skip Sundays recovery run but my eldest made it on to the schools cross country team so I promised I’d run with her one day a week! :)

No, I usually skip Sundays recovery run but my eldest made it on to the schools cross country team so I promised I’d run with her one day a week! :)

How handy is that!! Well done to her too though!

It won’t be too long until they are the same again! I probably benefited from not doing the marathon last year but I always thought you were a better runner than me!

I probably wouldn't go so far as to say that you benefited from not doing it but i definitely didn't benefit from doing it if that makes sense :cool: But it gives me something to spend this year chasing :D

Well done to E. Fair play to her, very exciting and lovely that you can bond over running now too. One of mine joined an Athletics Club and i love bringing him on a Saturday morning and hearing all about it, it's a change from all the ball sport talk that goes over my head :pac:

• Advertisement

11th-17th February

Mon: 60mins, 5.6miles @10.48

Tues: 16x90secs@thres, 30secs rec, wu&cd, 8miles
    I had to do my S&C classes in the morning this week so I jogged a mile to the 45 min class and then went straight to the park for my session. I did these on one stretch of the park and so had the wind against and behind me which messed up my paces a good bit. My threshold pace should be between 7:57-8:08 but I was between 7:32-8:09

Weds: 65mins, 6.4miles @10:01

Thurs: 4x12mins@HM (8:11), 2:30mins rec, 10.4miles
    Thursday is usual a rest day but the way things worked out this week I decided to get my session done instead of leaving it to Saturday. Again I did this session straight after 45mins S&C class.... bad idea.. my legs were so tired. when I was doing my cooldown I felt like I'd just run a marathon! My paces were 8:14, 8:18, 8:19 and 8:21, not great

Fri: Rest

Sat: 1hr45mins lsr, 10miles @10:20. Lovely run the Pheonix park

Sun: Rest

Total: 40.8miles

I was jealous looking at your Phoenix park run on Strava. I’ve only ever run through it twice - for DCM 17 and 18. I’d love a long run round it sometime!

Great mileage again. Looking forward to getting mine back up too in the next few weeks.

I was jealous looking at your Phoenix park run on Strava. I’ve only ever run through it twice - for DCM 17 and 18. I’d love a long run round it.

You’ll have to arrange a weekend up with in Dublin so ;)

18th-24th February

Monday: 70mins easy @ 10:55, 6.4miles
    Tuesday: 45mins S&C class in the morning, I'd planned to get out for my session in the evening but with mid-term and husband working late it didn't happen
    Wednesday: 6x4mins@CV, 2min rec, wu&cd, 8.2miles.
    I had to do this session in the evening so I couldn't go to the park and ended up running around housing estates so it wasn't ideal. My first 4mins was a disaster trying to cross roads and dodge cars, I didn't hit my planned pace even though I felt I was running hard. I eventually found a quite enough road and did the next 5 up and back. I was really disappointed with this session and really started to doubt my training for Bohermeen :(
    CV pace 7:36-7:46, Actual pace 8:02, 7:51, 7:46, 7:46, 7:49 and 7:54
    Thursday: 45mins S&C class (morning) 70mins easy @ 10:31, 6.7 miles (evening)
    Friday: Rest
    Saturday: 35min tempo , wu&cd, 8.1miles. Tempo pace 8.30-8.33, Actual pace 8:30min/mi
    I had a rare late night out on Friday so I was in no mood for this session. When I went out I thought I'd probably end up doing an easy paced run but once I got going I was fine and actually really enjoyed it
    Sunday: 2hr lsr @ 9:58. 12.1miles
    I had company for this so ended up running a little faster than usually

Total: 42.6miles

25th Feb-3rd March

Monday: 3miles recovery @ 10:37
    Tuesday: 70mins easy @ 10:21
    Wednesday: 2x20mins @ HM, 5min rec, wu&cd, 8.4miles
    I always dread this session on the plan especially when I'm running alone and doing loops of the park but the thoughts of it are always worst than the reality!. My current HM pace is 8:11min/mi and I ended up doing 8:08 & 8:10 which i was happy with.
    45mins S&C class in the evening
    Thursday: 70mins easy @10:31
    Friday: Rest
    Saturday: Parkrun
    I probably ran this a little fast the week before a race. I didn't look at my watch throughout and just tried to run comfortably strong, my splits were 7:58, 8:06 & 7:48
    Sunday: 70mins easy @ 10:29, 6.7miles

Total: 37.1 miles

More great training! So what's the plan for Bohermeen? I'm looking forward to catching up with you over a cuppa and sandwich.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    More great training! So what's the plan for Bohermeen? I'm looking forward to catching up with you over a cuppa and sandwich.

I'm just going to run like hell and see what happens. I said before I'd love 1:45:xx but realistically I don't think I have it in me yet, maybe later on in the year but I'll go for it and hopefully get a PB

I'm just going to run like hell and see what happens. I said before I'd love 1:45:xx but realistically I don't think I have it in me yet, maybe later on in the year but I'll go for it and hopefully get a PB

You have it in you and more. You'll be racing alongside me shortly!!

18th-24th February

Wednesday: 2x20mins @ HM, 5min rec, wu&cd, 8.4miles
    I always dread this session on the plan especially when I'm running alone and doing loops of the park but the thoughts of it are always worst than the reality!. My current HM pace is 8:11min/mi and I ended up doing 8:08 & 8:10 which i was happy with.

This is a super session and the fact that you nailed it should give you great confidence lining up.

Absolutely love your strategy :D

You'll do great, no doubt about it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Some cracking training C. Best of luck for the weekend.

• Advertisement

Thanks ariana & Lazare

Advertisement