Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obesity crisis in Ireland Mod Note post 1

Options

Comments

Rice cakes? They are nutritionally complete crap! :D Man, I’m glad I can keep weight down without having to resort to high GI styrofoam.

I had a southern fried chicken takeaway today (balance).
    The rice cakes were used as variety ...I hadn't had rice cakes in maybe a year :)
    And I've lost 1.5 lbs this week :)
    So keep p1ssing but there's no contest :)
    I do love the attention you give me..... I won't be your Valentine though just in case that is what you're building up to :)
    You're like a puppet on my string now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Augeo wrote: »
    I had a southern fried chicken takeaway today (balance).
    The rice cakes were used as variety ...I hadn't had rice cakes in maybe a year :)
    So keep p1ssing but there's no contest :)
    I do love the attention you give me..... I won't be your Valentine though just in case that is what you're building up to :)
    You're like a puppet on my string now :)

We’re both replying to each other here. I wouldn’t be highlighting my replies because it is also highlights yours.

There’s been some thoughtful responses to you on this thread from other posters and you’ve been pretty much nothing but dismissive of them and sometimes downright rude. Knock yourself out but those replies are there for all to see.

We’re both replying to each other here. I wouldn’t be highlighting my replies because it is also highlights yours.

There’s been some thoughtful responses to you on this thread from other posters and you’ve been pretty much nothing but dismissive of them and sometimes downright rude. Knock yourself out but those replies are there for all to see.

And if you are still in weight loss mode, be aware that maintenance is the hardest part.

I wasn't talking to you about rice cakes iirc :)
    You had to get sneery when you saw an "opportunity". You literally couldn't resist....how sad.
    I'm dismissive of horsesh1t. The latest thoughtful reply to me was from someone who didn't understand what a 500kcal/day excess is. Speeling on about how they'd burn off half a pound in no time after stopping the excess eating of a week.
    Of course they had a link to some other speel ....very thoughtful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Spiel.

*Eats more cake :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Being a racist is judging someone on something they have no control over whatsoever - the color of their skin, their ethnic origin, whatever. Not quite the same as judging someone who eats to excess, whatever the reason behind their choices, but at a fundamental level it is a choice.

There are some people who are overweight because they've got severe underlying issues, but the vast majority of overweight people in Ireland are, plainly, that way because they enjoy indulgence and poor food choices too much, with lack of exercise and activity a significant secondary factor.

The more that is understood about obesity, the more the genetic contribution becomes clearer. We have less choice about a whole range of behaviours than we like to imagine. Each of us has a range of weight we can achieve predetermined by our genes. The challenge for obese people is to get to the low end of their range even if that is still a high BMI.

• Advertisement

You do this by eating meat, fish, eggs, cheese, butter, green veg, greek yogurt, nuts and by eating few carbohydrates.

I believe you are pretty correct here pumpkin4life. Would you be concerned however that if the whole world chose to eat this kind of a diet that there wouldn't be enough of these relatively luxurious foods to go around? Like there is a reason most people ate high carb diets until recently - those foods are inexpensive to produce energy/resource wise relative to high protein foods.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Old Rudge

You were 17st 4 years ago and you are still dieting?

Old Rudge wrote: »
    You were 17st 4 years ago and you are still dieting?

I was 16.5 stone in April 18. I went on a 700kcal/day deficit for 6 months losing 3 stone.

I then maintained that weight (by choice) for 3 months by eating 3000kcals/day. .....which was a struggle really .....although I ate that and more for years. That insatiable hunger mentioned in various studies didn't come to the party.

I decided to lose another stone (perhaps, maybe more maybe less, I have strength targets as well as weight targets) 3 weeks ago so I'm limiting my intake to approx 20% below maintenance kcals..... it's going superbly well, thank you.

I'm not dieting as such as 2400kcals/day is an awful lot of food :) I'm merely reducing my intake. I'm training as well but at my heaviest I still trained.

I was 16.5 stone in April 18. I went on a 700kcal/day deficit for 6 months losing 3 stone.

I then maintained that weight (by choice) for 3 months by eating 3000kcals/day. .....which was a struggle really .....although I ate that and more for years. That insatiable hunger mentioned in various studies didn't come to the party.

I decided to lose another stone (perhaps, maybe more maybe less, I have strength targets as well as weight targets) 3 weeks ago so I'm limiting my intake to approx 20% below maintenance kcals..... it's going superbly well, thank you.

I'm not dieting as such as 2400kcals/day is an awful lot of food :) I'm merely reducing my intake. I'm training as well but at my heaviest I still trained.

You had it all lost in 2015 and was back to 16.5st in 2018.

No hunger then either? Are you a fat cnut at 16.5 st?

Why do you yo yo?

Weight loss is simple no?

You had it all lost in 2015 and was back to 16.5st in 2018.

No hunger then either? Are you a fat cnut at 16.5 st?

Why do you yo yo?

Weight loss is simple no?

I was not down to 13.5 stone in 2015.
    I lost weight back then in an uncontrolled, as hoc fashion.
    I put it back on largely through living in hotels for 25% of the subsequent time on work trips. I chose to eat large breakfasts, large lunches and 3 course meals in the evenings. Choice. My choice.
    Also my training partner died ...I got to 17 stone as I stopped training...https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=96113497 thought I carried it well but in hindsight I was a fat cnut. You'll find that fat cnuts eat lots, I was eating a calorie excess....by choice.
    Weight loss is conceptually simple as I have stated :)
    I find calorie counting & eating whole foods makes it simple in practise too :)
    When I was a fat cnut I knew I could lose the weight when I chose to.....simple science.
    I'm also 100% confident I can now control my weight as I like :)

There's more chance of you bring a fat cnut going forward then me, IMO

• Advertisement

I was not down to 13.5 stone in 2015.
    I lost weight back then in an uncontrolled, as hoc fashion.
    I put it back on largely through living in hotels for 25% of the subsequent time on work trips. I chose to eat large breakfasts, large lunches and 3 course meals in the evenings. Choice. My choice.
    I thought I carried it well but in hindsight I was a fat cnut.
    Weight loss is conceptually simple as I have stated :)
    I find calorie counting & eating whole foods makes it simple in practise too :)

Your post history in fitness forum says something else...

For something simple you seem to struggle.

All bravado with poor self esteem at an educated guess.

But keep bluffing and don't spare the emojis

Your post history in fitness forum says something else...

For something simple you seem to struggle.

All bravado with poor self esteem at an educated guess.

But keep bluffing and don't spare the emojis

Lol.....the figures are there, no bluffing.
    Calorie counting is incredibly simple.
    I've oodles of self esteem. I don't need to go trawling through someone's posts to discredit them after they had to explain what a 500kcal/day excess is to me & I also don't claim I'm naturally lean or however you phrased it.
    :)

I've put in the post from back then in my earlier comments. That explained some of the yo yo ing too .

Lol.....the figures are there, no bluffing.
    Calorie counting is incredibly simple.
    I've oodles of self esteem. I don't need to go trawling through someone's posts to discredit them after they had to explain what a 500kcal/day excess is to me & I also don't claim I'm naturally lean or however you phrased it.
    :)

Keeping it off is not so simple though for you.

At your best day at 13.5 you are still overweight.
    Are you a fat cnut when obese or just overweight?

I expect you'll gain weight again and always struggle why?

Are you comfortable being a fat cnut? How will your self esteem be when you are back to 17st?

Why do you use the term fat cnut? Do you feel better putting other people down? If so why?

Effortlessly lean was my wording. Never calorie counted. Why is it easy for me and hard for you?
    You might need more than emojis to explain it now, hope it doesn't give you a headache

UKeeping it off is incredibly easy for me....it's no struggle.
    I had great confidence at 17 stone....my weight doesn't effect my self esteem.
    I'm under 13.5 stone now....at 13.5 stone I've a 32 inch waist and was quite lean so wouldn't be overweight. Quite muscular.... 130kg bench press etc etc ....24 minute 5 kms.

Your expectations of me gaining weight are incorrect. Why you think I will is your question to answer. Probably some w@nkology paper to be linked.

You allege you are effortlessly lean, I don't know or care why it's easy for you truth be told. Probably a scrawny little fnvker :) a skinny maggot :)

You might have a poor diet. You might not eat enough. You could be talking through your hoop :)

You could be a fat cnut for all I know or care :)

You seem a tad agitated. I know you might be embarrassed after not understand what a 500kcal / day excess is but there's no need. You know now.
    I'm genuinely happy to help you understand basic stuff.

I used the fat cnut term as its after hours. I'm not referring to a specific person.

You are trying to put me down now, are you feeling better?
    Irony...delicious stuff.

Off you go trawling my posts now ....good lad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

bop1977 wrote: »
    Make operation transformation a junior cert subject. Get them before they become to fat.

All that will do is have them making up lame excuses as to why they got fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Operation Transformation is just an entertainment show though. nobody involved in that show, from Kathryn Thomas to the panel of judges, actually cares about improving health or educating the nation. Its a soundbite cashing in on the health craze in Ireland the past decade and a way to get ratings. I particularly despise that Aoife one, the dietician, she speaks down to the contestants who mostly try their best only to have her looking down her nose at them whilst lecturing and patronising them.

Its like X Factor where each judge has a role to play and ham it up for the cameras, I feel sorry for the people on this who actually think the presenters and the ethos of the show is to help them when in reality they are just pawns in a tv show.

Hamlet could just as well have been talking about humanity’s struggle with weight here:

‘There’s a divinity that shapes our ends,
    Rough-hew them how we will.’

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Lots of talk about diet on the thread but little mention about excercise.

Dakota Dan wrote: »

You won't out train a bad diet or a consistent kcal excess.

Both have their contribution to make but diet seems to be considerably more important. The Herculean labours of our cyclist friend above are beyond the physical capabilities of most people and probably don’t make that much difference:
    A SIMPLE calculation lies at the heart of a lot of mainstream weight loss advice. If calories out exceed calories in, you will lose weight. It is why both exercise and diet are said to be key to staying trim, and why many of us feel we can make amends for overindulging by joining the gym or dusting off our running shoes.

But if you have ever increased how much exercise you do and found it did little to shed the pounds, you have probably had an inkling that the sums don’t add up. Despite tipping the balance in favour of calories out, the scales don’t budge. This is the so-called exercise paradox. Until recently, it has been explained away by the logic that exercise leaves people hungry so they eat more.

Working out a lot doesn’t appear to burn more calories than doing a little. In fact, going mad in the gym doesn’t seem to burn any more calories than moderate activity a few days a week and taking the stairs, for instance.

Researchers are scratching their heads as to how to reconcile this. And while it might be bad news for those who had hoped to run off those festive dinners, there is a flip side. Those who exercise intensively through a sense of guilt or obligation might be happier, and possibly wealthier, taking it easier.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg24132130-400-why-doing-more-exercise-wont-help-you-burn-more-calories/

• Advertisement

When obesity is discussed, no one ever asks why does a lean man stay lean instead they ask how can we make a fat person lean.

I've been very active all my life; but twice in the last 2 years I've had a couple of periods of over 5 weeks with no exercise. Zero difference in weight.

If I eat differently, eat a lot of crap it makes no difference my body fat will stay stuck at 12-14%. I don't have to think about it.

Ask mhe to get to 6% and stay there long term is the equivalent of asking a 40% bf male to get to 20% and stay there.
    I won't get call a fat cnut though.

Lean peoples body fat regulation system works. If they overeat their bodies compensate by increasing NEAT primarily. Dr James Levine had a good study where they could identify lean/obese people by just how much they got up/ rather than continually sat at work. An obese person in a deficit and exercising will typically drop there already lower NEAT

Obese peoples bodies, in most cases are broken. There is no fix in the long term for most. That's pretty sad but true.

Education for young mothers, before they are pregnant is best strategy for the coming generations.

Prof. O’Rahilly’s research has been looking at the mystery of persistently slim people like you for quite some time. It’s a key part of the puzzle and again it points to our genes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Ardillaun wrote: »
    Prof. O’Rahilly’s research has been looking at the mystery of persistently slim people like you for quite some time. It’s a key part of the puzzle and again it points to our genes.

Choose your parents carefully.

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

If you eat properly and do 8-10 hours of physical work every day there is no need for exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Operation Transformation is just an entertainment show though. nobody involved in that show, from Kathryn Thomas to the panel of judges, actually cares about improving health or educating the nation. Its a soundbite cashing in on the health craze in Ireland the past decade and a way to get ratings. I particularly despise that Aoife one, the dietician, she speaks down to the contestants who mostly try their best only to have her looking down her nose at them whilst lecturing and patronising them.

Its like X Factor where each judge has a role to play and ham it up for the cameras, I feel sorry for the people on this who actually think the presenters and the ethos of the show is to help them when in reality they are just pawns in a tv show.
    They think they're so bad-ass when they get to give out to the participant. Particularly Dr. Eva who was on it before - enjoyed acting a right weapon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭AllForIt

If you eat properly and do 8-10 hours of physical work every day there is no need for exercise.

Do you mean like use a knife and fork and tar the roads?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Our civilisation is crashing, some fat, some starving.

But it makes great TV.

I don't hold out much hope.

The more I read about metabolism, the more odd it gets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Trump Is Right

Here's a thought I had regarding obesity...

Is it possible that our species could evolve and adapt to being a larger creature over time?

Blue whales are enormous creatures, averaging about 30,000 stone when mature, and yet they can often out-live us humans... (assuming we don't hunt them or destroy their habitat).

On land, the average elephant weighs about 800+ stone... and they can match the average human lifespan in the western world.

Perhaps with an abundance of food and calories available, it could be inevitable that most of our species will get bigger? There is definitely evidence that we are getting taller as a species, and it appears to be happening quite rapidly in relative terms...

Just putting this out there as a thought experiment... :D

Okay move along now... back to your bickering and finger wagging!! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Here's a thought I had regarding obesity...

Is it possible that our species could evolve and adapt to being a larger creature over time?

It’s certainly one possibility -

I’ve already gotten a head-start on evolution myself :p

Advertisement