Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thurles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,731 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Would it not be safe enough to say that McDonalds would do as good, if not better in Thurles day to day as it does in Cashel? I mean Cashel has a population of around 4,500 vs Thurles which has 8,000. You don't have big match days or Féile's in Cashel and a service station similar to where McDonalds is in Cashel wouldn't have been a bad idea near the roundabout in the Horse and Jockey. Plus you wouldn't have the traveller community living beside it either with their kids in and out causing hassle for the staff and patrons alike.

I'd imagine 90% of footfall in McDonald's Cashel is coming in off the motorway.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

She was on the business programme (I think) on radio 1 a couple of days back. She said the higher vat and rise in minimum wage made it impossible to make a profit.

That's rubbish. It's in a terrible location with a terrible footfall. You would never think of going there it's too far off the radar. Combine that with a terrible layout for such a business and it's future couldn't be optimistic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Not sure would it be as high as 90, fair amount for sure but when ever I'm up there I recognise over half the people from town

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Quirke planned to build a McDonalds in 2011. The usual objectors McKevitt, Aherne, RGDATA etc objected to this. ABP refused the whole development.

The second name there objected against Tesco moving to Clongour in 2008 saying the Erin foods site would be more suited and yet objected to Baycross Developments 2011/12 planning application.

Note that Portlaoise was smaller than Thurles when it got a Penneys. Clonmel wasn’t that much bigger too when it opened there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

There's the exact same access from the motorway at the Horse and Jockey as there is in Cashel.
    The second name there objected against Tesco moving to Clongour in 2008

Quite glad Tesco didn't go ahead. It's right beside my home place and would be a right eyesore IMO.

Such a pity the driving range is gone too. The one in Cashel is a disaster.

• Advertisement

There's the exact same access from the motorway at the Horse and Jockey as there is in Cashel.

Quite glad Tesco didn't go ahead. It's right beside my home place and would be a right eyesore IMO.

Such a pity the driving range is gone too. The one in Cashel is a disaster.

Yeah but you said Thurles, horse and jockey is a good 8km away.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Would it not be safe enough to say that McDonalds would do as good, if not better in Thurles day to day as it does in Cashel? I mean Cashel has a population of around 4,500 vs Thurles which has 8,000. You don't have big match days or Féile's in Cashel and a service station similar to where McDonalds is in Cashel wouldn't have been a bad idea near the roundabout in the Horse and Jockey. Plus you wouldn't have the traveller community living beside it either with their kids in and out causing hassle for the staff and patrons alike.

Most of the traffic through Cashel Maccies is en route from somewhere on the M8 to somewhere else. You can just pull in off the motorway, go to the toilet, get petrol, buy fags and pick up a MacDonalds all in one 20 minute stop that’s 20 minutes at any time of the day or night.
    Imagine trailing in off the motorway all the way in to Thurles to get stuck in traffic at any of the school pick up/drop off times? No way!
    The only reason it’s in Cashel is because of the motorway.
    Same with Roscrea.
    Thurles just couldn’t justify it. If you go downtown here any night including Saturday night it’s like a ghost town.
    9 or 10 match days a year wouldn’t justify a MacDonalds.
    I’m sure MacDonalds are constantly looking for new business opportunities all the time and if they thought that they’d turn a profit then they’d be here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Harcrid

The Cashel services has to be the worst designed ugliest one in the country. Not enough parking, confusing layout and everything jammed into one small area.

Did anyone hear a rumor about an alarming incident at Dunnes shopping centre on Saturday night?
    So far I’ve heard that a 14 year old jumped off the roof and died, alternatively it was a lady of Asian persuasion who survived.
    If it’s true they’ll have to get security down there at night.

Surprised there's not already a a thread on it.

Seen it nominated for worst town in Ireland and was thinking of practical solutions to breath life back into the town.

I know the celtic tiger didn't really make an appearance in the town but it still has plenty going for it. Race track, train station, greyhound stadium, Semple Stadium, good schools, good Gaa clubs, motorway close by.

Big problem is lack of jobs, no reason for young people to stay there. Having so many independent politicians doesn't help.

First thing I'd do is get rid of the cars in the square, plenty of other places to develop parking, doesn't hold that many cars in any case. I'd put paving down and a few seats similar to Cashel town centre.

Secondly, there needs to be be another bridge over the river, preferably a ring road. As it stands cars are directed into the square just to get over the river leading to congestion.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Hoping a Thurles to Clonmel Greenway will be the missing piece of the jigsaw not just in Thurles but all the way from South to Mid Tipperary. Thats a long way off though

• Advertisement

splinter65 wrote: »
    Did anyone hear a rumor about an alarming incident at Dunnes shopping centre on Saturday night?
    So far I’ve heard that a 14 year old jumped off the roof and died, alternatively it was a lady of Asian persuasion who survived.
    If it’s true they’ll have to get security down there at night.

I heard it was a 16 year old Chinese girl who didn't survive. I'm hoping that the "didn't survive" is just sensationalist but it always alluded me as to why those sections were always open with no fence or barriers up. If it was for aesthetic reasons, paint them white.

I passed by there on my way from the Anner when the cinema was finished and there was a large gathering of people near the front entrance but they were just chatting. A few minutes later someone I was in the Anner with passed by and said that the Gardai, ambulance and fire brigade were there and they had a section screened off.

I heard it was a 16 year old Chinese girl who didn't survive. I'm hoping that the "didn't survive" is just sensationalist but it always alluded me as to why those sections were always open with no fence or barriers up. If it was for aesthetic reasons, paint them white.

I passed by there on my way from the Anner when the cinema was finished and there was a large gathering of people near the front entrance but they were just chatting. A few minutes later someone I was in the Anner with passed by and said that the Gardai, ambulance and fire brigade were there and they had a section screened off.

Would a 16 year old dying after jumping off a commercial building not be the subject of national news? I’ve always thought that it’s a dangerous building too. My daughters friend waited that night for 45 minutes for an ambulance to come to her from Tipp Town for a severe asthma attack as the ambulances at the hospital of the Assumtion had all attended that incident.
    It demonstrates how ill equipped we are to deal with a major incident.

Would a 16 year old dying after jumping off a commercial building not be the subject of national news? I’ve always thought that it’s a dangerous building too. My daughters friend waited that night for 45 minutes for an ambulance to come to her from Tipp Town for a severe asthma attack as the ambulances at the hospital of the Assumtion had all attended that incident.

You'd think it would be the subject of national news. All I know about the incident is hearsay and it's quite unlike Thurles for everyone to not know what actually happened.

It doesn’t sound like it but your daughter was incredibly lucky. Thurles is either on call and understaffed or most days unstaffed. Sometimes the ambulances can come from Limerick unbelievably even as far as Galway at times. A few months back there was only one ambulance covering the whole of Limerick City. We need our district hospital back. Rory O’Hanlon touted Cashel as the replacement despite it being different health boards, Harney said Centre of Excellence in Nenagh when they closed Cashel then Limerick. Don’t get ill in Thurles!

Still nothing more on that Dunnes incident. It has been kept very quiet whatever happened.

Still nothing more on that Dunnes incident. It has been kept very quiet whatever happened.

I overheard a conversation yesterday that the girl was wearing a uniform from a local restaurant (won’t say the name) at the time. If true that rules out she was Asian as there’s no non nationals working there.

Apparently someone went down to this business and asked who she was. If this happened at 11pm then it’s just gossip as that particular restaurant closes at 8pm

I don’t think we’ll ever get the true story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Wonder who the IT company is looking for software developers in Thurles... would be great for the town and surrounding areas if it came to pass

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭kaizer13

Is there a reliable taxi operator serving Thurles?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Tina82

Not really especially during the day time ... try Joe Carroll 086 2440088.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭kaizer13

Tina82 wrote: »
    Not really especially during the day time ... try Joe Carroll 086 2440088.

Thanks Tina82

• Advertisement

We need to beware of people who are always upbeat and caring for others. It’s often just a front for despair. RIP to 2 young women in the prime of their lives leaving behind heartbreak and confusion.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

For some reason, people are gossiping about what locals have killed themselves. This NOT the place for that.

I've had to delete some posts.

anyone know what was gong on in the pike this evening. when i passed at around 5.30 there was a guy with a film camera inside the door filming a younglad

anyone know what was gong on in the pike this evening. when i passed at around 5.30 there was a guy with a film camera inside the door filming a younglad

In the chipper?

In the chipper?

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭shmeee

Gary Lyons (Lyonsey) was around town today recording for some TV Show.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Great sporting school, always was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Lads... Huge long shot here.. lost me wallet up there last night at the club semi final.. definitely had it at semple. Didn't notice it gone until got back home. I probably dropped it on the way back to the car. Was parked up past the tom Harvey motors place. Actually by the signs telling the speed limit.. not too worried bout the bank cards, but me season ticket was in it. Gutted over it.. if it was found what's the chances of it being handed in somewhere? And where would that somewhere be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

Ring the local garda station. Also try ringing the shop at Tom Harvey's forcourt.

Advertisement