Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salmon Weir gets new bridge

• 07-02-2019 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,856 ✭✭✭what_traffic

https://connachttribune.ie/salmon-weir-gets-new-bridge-465/
    "
    €3.5 million sourced under the EU Designated Urban Centres Grant Scheme
    The National Transport Authority has agreed to co-fund the bridge and has committed a further €3.68 million, bring the total to €7.18 million – with City Council to fund the remaining costs.
    "

https://merrionstreet.ie/MerrionStreet/en/ImageLibrary/20181126_URDF_List.pdf

Galway Metropolitan Area

Category A
    Lead Partner Proposal County Region Typology 2019 Funding Allocation
    Galway County Council
    Ardaun Upgrade of Martins Roundabout
    Galway NWRA RSI IUD €2,703,000.00
    Galway City Council
    Cycling and Walking Galway NWRA CP €2,900,000.00
    Total €5,603,000.00

So I wonder is this where €2,900,000.00 is probably going to be spent? At least it is a "true" Urban area

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I'm thinking it's been 4 or 5 years since first hearing about this. Every time I cross it I think about it. Glad it's finally kicking off. Hope the same happens for O'Briens bridge too.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Moved out from old thread about banning cars on bridges.

The construction of a pedestrian and cyclist bridge at Salmon Weir will get underway by the end of 2020, a meeting of Galway City Council was told on Monday.
    A very good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

biko wrote: »
    Moved out from old thread about banning cars on bridges.
    A very good idea
    "will get underway by the end of 2020"

2 flipping years away..... No rush lads

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

This has the potential to alleviate a lot of traffic congestion in town.

I walk or cycle across the SW bridge every day, and it's abundantly clear that it is a major bottle neck backing up traffic into Woodquay and onto the Headford Road. The minute you get past the bridge and onto University Road the flow of traffic immediately frees up. This is due in large part to the narrowness of the bridge and the volume of buses/larger vehicles using it which constantly jar the flow of traffic.

The paths are ridiculously narrow, not being wide enough for two people to walk side by side. I've been clipped several times by bus mirrors when walking on the path. And trying to cross the bridge on a bike when the traffic is heavy is a joke. The way the bridge squeezes both pedestrians and cyclists further slows the traffic.

Ideally, all pedestrians and bikes should use the new foot bridge and the SW bridge should be exclusively for vehicles. I saw an article in the Advertiser this week referring to the fact that the foot bridge will be one way, with one of the paths being left open on the bridge. This sounds disappointing but I'll wait to see some concrete plans.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

ronnie3585 wrote: »

I walk or cycle across the SW bridge every day, and it's abundantly clear that it is a major bottle neck backing up traffic into Woodquay and onto the Headford Road. The minute you get past the bridge and onto University Road the flow of traffic immediately frees up. This is due in large part to the narrowness of the bridge and the volume of buses/larger vehicles using it which constantly jar the flow of traffic.

The paths are ridiculously narrow, not being wide enough for two people to walk side by side. I've been clipped several times by bus mirrors when walking on the path. And trying to cross the bridge on a bike when the traffic is heavy is a joke. The way the bridge squeezes both pedestrians and cyclists further slows the traffic.

Ideally, all pedestrians and bikes should use the new foot bridge and the SW bridge should be exclusively for vehicles. I saw an article in the Advertiser this week referring to the fact that the foot bridge will be one way, with one of the paths being left open on the bridge. This sounds disappointing but I'll wait to see some concrete plans.

For pedestrians coming from Woodquay direction, they will still have to cross the road to access the college through Fisheries Field, which is now the main access point to the college from that direction. This will require a pedestrian crossing, which will slow down traffic further. But I think the long term plan is to remove all vehicle traffic except public transport from the bridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

How would you enforce a one-way foot bridge? I wouldn't worry too much about that. Even if they did try and bring it in, it wouldn't last.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭westgolf

If you reverse that suggestion and put the heavy traffic on the new one with straight access to courthouse not angled it would work better.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

They should bring up the footpaths on the old bridge to deter people from using it when the new bridge comes in

Traffic is slow on the bridge for a number of reasons, pedestrians coming out onto the road slowing traffic, cyclists, large trucks/buses stuck when car are in the yellow box, etc etc. With the footpath gone it takes away some of these issues

westgolf wrote: »
    If you reverse that suggestion and put the heavy traffic on the new one with straight access to courthouse not angled it would work better.

I don't disagree, however you would be talking about a significantly more expensive structure

• Registered Users Posts: 4,856 ✭✭✭what_traffic

What is proposed is going to have even greater affect on Woodquay/Headford Rd and University Road, new bridge is for pedestrians and cyclists going West, existing Salmon Weir will be for Buses and Cyclists going East. Private Cars will not be able to go over at this crossing point.

• Advertisement

Zzippy wrote: »
    For pedestrians coming from Woodquay direction, they will still have to cross the road to access the college through Fisheries Field, which is now the main access point to the college from that direction. This will require a pedestrian crossing, which will slow down traffic further. But I think the long term plan is to remove all vehicle traffic except public transport from the bridge.

Its not long term - this is what is been proposed from the get go in 2021 I'd say by the time it is constructed. Page 6 of today's City Tribune - Uinsinn Finn Galway City Council Senior Engineer: the project was directly linked with the Galway Transportation Stategy - whereby the existing Salmon Weir Bridge will become public transport only.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

westgolf wrote: »

Yes, and IIRC that was the original plan that was mooted several years ago. Not sure why they changed it.
    They should bring up the footpaths on the old bridge to deter people from using it when the new bridge comes in

Traffic is slow on the bridge for a number of reasons, pedestrians coming out onto the road slowing traffic, cyclists, large trucks/buses stuck when car are in the yellow box, etc etc. With the footpath gone it takes away some of these issues

That will also remove one of the great experiences of Galway in my opinion - leaning over the parapet to see scores of wild Atlantic salmon hanging in the current below, and watching an angler swim a fly over them in hope. I dont know any other city in the world where you can see that. With most of the traffic gone those issues you describe go away too, just the odd bus and cyclist passing would not have issues. By all means take away the footpath on the city centre side but I hope they leave the other one.

That will also remove one of the great experiences of Galway in my opinion - leaning over the parapet to see scores of wild Atlantic salmon hanging in the current below, and watching an angler swim a fly over them in hope. I dont know any other city in the world where you can see that. With most of the traffic gone those issues you describe go away too, just the odd bus and cyclist passing would not have issues. By all means take away the footpath on the city centre side but I hope they leave the other one.

They mention in the City Tribune article that the NORTH Path is to be retained for the above reasons and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Yes, and IIRC that was the original plan that was mooted several years ago. Not sure why they changed it.

Yeah I guess keeping the NUIG side footpath would be good, not to mention the amount of people who would still walk along it to get pictures if their wasn't a footpath, though as noted above, would be much nicer for the traffic to go on the new bridge with the old one left for walkers/cyclist

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Laviski

New bridge should be for traffic

Perfect case of Ireland on how to do things backwards and keep paying for the consequences for years
    Instead of doing it right the first time and paying for it once in budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,628 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Laviski wrote: »
    New bridge should be for traffic

Perfect case of Ireland on how to do things backwards and keep paying for the consequences for years
    Instead of doing it right the first time and paying for it once in budget.

Agreed.

Do you know why the bridge is where it is? I've heard it provided a straight line between the front door of the jail (previous use of the cathedral site) and the back door of the courthouse.

If that's the case, then it's crazy to be keeping the bridge as is for "heritage" purposes when the jail is already gone and there's a plan to move the courthouse too (AFAIK there is.)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,138 ✭✭✭✭zell12

..Do you know why the bridge is where it is? I've heard it provided a straight line between the front door of the jail (previous use of the cathedral site) and the back door of the courthouse.
    Yes, that is the reason.

I refuse to believe that people in power are stupid enough to ban private traffic from the bridge, the level of incovienence it would cause is absolutely massive. How are you supposed to get from the woodquay or anywhere in that area of the city to the cathedral, hospital or university? It would cause mayhem and not a hope it will be allowed to happen.

It’s more bridge crossings we need not less. Forcing people to drive miles and miles rather than a few hundred metres is as backward a suggestion as you will get

Here we go

Will be interesting the effect it will have on Woodquay, Nuns Island and University Road when operational by removing the through traffic. Bus timetable reliability for the West and North services will improve.
    How Council roll it out from the start will be interesting. They don't have a good track record on such initiatives.

• Advertisement

Will be interesting the effect it will have on Woodquay, Nuns Island and University Road when operational by removing the through traffic. Bus timetable reliability for the West and North services will improve.
    How Council roll it out from the start will be interesting. They don't have a good track record on such initiatives.

Nuns Island is up for a general renovation/development by the Council + NUIG too. Could potentially become one of the nicest areas in Galway. It has a lot of untapped potential.

xckjoo wrote: »
    Nuns Island is up for a general renovation/development by the Council + NUIG too. Could potentially become one of the nicest areas in Galway. It has a lot of untapped potential.

NUIG have major plans for Nuns Island which involve knocking most of what's there and building new Uni buildings and student accommodation.

It's one of the reasons they have been so generous to the Bish. They are desperate to get their hands on the Bish land in Nuns Island

NUIG have major plans for Nuns Island which involve knocking most of what's there and building new Uni buildings and student accommodation.

It's one of the reasons they have been so generous to the Bish. They are desperate to get their hands on the Bish land in Nuns Island

What have they done for the Bish? Genuine question. Not aware of them ever having actually done anything.

What have they done for the Bish? Genuine question. Not aware of them ever having actually done anything.

https://connachttribune.ie/plans-still-in-pipeline-for-bish-move-to-dangan-101/

Jesus. That's been "in the pipeline" since at least the 90s. Except it was only on the cards for one of the two groups :pac:. Maybe now that the university has something to gain it might actually happen.

Jesus. That's been "in the pipeline" since at least the 90s. Except it was only on the cards for one of the two groups :pac:. Maybe now that the university has something to gain it might actually happen.

The Uni always had this plan.

They operate in terms of decades with their planning and property acquisitions

Agree. Thankfully NUIG are involved and not just the City Council. They have way more financial muscle. + as Caspian Fat Sinus has rightly pointed out - take a more long term view.

Agree. Thankfully NUIG are involved and not just the City Council. They have way more financial muscle. + as Caspian Fat Sinus has rightly pointed out - take a more long term view.

I wouldn't go assuming they're as forward planning as they pretend to be. The people that made the wise decisions 30+ years ago are long gone. They've been doing a nice job of renovating the look of the campus in the last dozen years but the practical side has been lacking.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't go assuming they're as forward planning as they pretend to be. The people that made the wise decisions 30+ years ago are long gone. They've been doing a nice job of renovating the look of the campus in the last dozen years but the practical side has been lacking.

You only have to observe the patterns of their land & property purchases to see the long term plans

Advertisement