Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salmon Weir gets new bridge

Options

Comments

Honestly I can't see any cyclists, coming from Newcastle road, ever using it. From the Nun's Island direction sure

• Registered Users Posts: 23,552 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Are pedestrians and cyclists not traffic? How did we get this city manager?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,880 ✭✭✭what_traffic

People cycling from Newtownsmith, ya for sure can see it been used, but from West of the Corrib currently.........cannot see it happen.

Very little cycle traffic from Nuns Island direction as that its a one-way system but it could be two-way for people on bikes if they put in the signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

If pedestrian traffic drops cos it main ly moves over to new bridge, things generally get safer for cyclists crossing the existing bridge don't they?

NOt sure how people navigate that at the moment with a cycle. It's difficult enough with people walking in 2 directions on each of the pavements without having extra wheeled traffic. & cars can be right on top of the kerb nearly.

Think I have seen a couple of solitary cyclists wheeling bikes across but don't know what happens when there happen to be more than that. presumably they must use that route since it's the main way to get into town from a few places. Not sure how things have lasted this long without having an alternative.

LIke thinking about it, has to be Salmon Weir Bridge or Nun's Island or taking a longer way around via either the milennium bridge or the canal/Henry St. Which may be 101 for Galway Geography but really does show how limited the choice of routes is if one is trying to navigate town from the Westside

Not really, people on bikes still have to stick to the road as the footpaths are still going to be footpaths? Right?

Can only see significant change once the Salmon Weir Bridge becomes a bus gate, probably a 07h00 -> 19h00 bus gate ( do not see the need for it to be 24h one)

• Advertisement

a few shots from yesterday which show the layout or at least presumably where the bridge will touch ground

couple of shots from Friday 9th. That road taht leads down to Newtownlands is completely closed for the near future. I think I saw people thinking they would be able to drive down it on one of my recent trips into town. Think you can get through to the car park and possibly the girls school from teh Sally Longs end at the moment but road has a lot of this fencing down it.

I noticed the clothes shop on it is moving premises, not sure if Papa Rich and the cafe will be there permanently. Probably adressed elsewhere anyway.

Note how the Cathedral is more visible from east with the greenery chopped down

Only from a very specific space. Was it worth arboricide for it though?

Council uploaded this pic to social media on 16 Sept

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭bobbyss

They have a basic bridge across now at the city side. If you are walking from UoG how to access the new bridge? Does this mean we will never lean on the bridge now and look up river at the fishermen? Speaking of leaning on the bridge I do remember it being all shiny with people leaning over it to see the (rare) sight of someone catching a salmon. All that shininess is gone. What happened that?

North footpath is been kept on the Salmon Weir bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 9,020 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Yeah its a protected view so they have to keep it so you'll still be able to watch those fishermen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Would it not have made more sense to change the Salmon Weir to a pedestrian bridge and build a new bridge for vehicles?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Ya pretty much, don't know what the plan is here for the dimensions are though. Will the North footpath be left as per current state or are they going to widen it once the footpath on the south is removed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I presumed before the plans were announced that they'd do the same thing as they did on the Wolfe Tone bridge. That is, just build out an overhang to create a wider pedestrian path on one side. When they announced it would be an altogether separate bridge I guessed with the university they envisaged much heavier foot traffic and wanted to support bikes and e-scooters too. Or maybe there was an architectural reason why the current bridge couldn't be widened?

The current bridge is a protected structure so couldn't be modified. There's an argument alright for adding walkways similar to Wolfe Tone.

I guess this way they keep the weir view, provide views of the river and provide a view of the existing bridge.

I can understand that justification but in terms of infrastructure and connectivity it looks like a worse option.

The main impediment to building a new bridge to service buses etc appears to be cost due to the additional engineering requirements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,020 ✭✭✭Ficheall

If they're not removing the footpaths on the Salmon Weir, then surely people will keep using them instead of crossing at the cathedral "roundabout" to use the new bridge. If you cross at the far side of the cathedral and come around the back then the new location could be easier to cross, but I doubt that's going to be easier for many users..

They are keeping 1 path, on the weir side so yeah, anyone travelling from the Uni side will likely still use the Salmon Weir bridge, but those coming from the town will likely use the new bridge. At least that would be my guess

At this rate we'll be lucky to see the Galway to Dublin greenway opened in the 2030's

Ya that's how I see it as well until the bus gate itself is installed, after that - will be interesting to see how patterns change. With the large reduction in vehicular traffic on the Salmon Weir it will far easier to cross via foot to access this NEW bridge when coming from the Uni side.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Large volume reductions don't always make for easier crossings.

Often fewer vehicles means they move faster.

If bicycles are using Salmon Weir then it's likely to be challenging still.

True - I say that all the time when it comes to cycling. Heavy car traffic on the bike can make it easier to make right turns for example as car traffic speeds are lower. But its even easier for people on foot or bike when you take them out of the equation completely.

I believe majority of people on bikes will use the Salmon Weir rather than the NEW bridge.

What type of bus gate that is to be installed at the Salmon Weir. Will ABP / NTA advise on that. Specify the type that the Council should use?

Further reading for people who are interested.

https://www.galwaycity.ie/busconnects-galway-cross-city-link

www.crosscitylinkgalway.ie  

Post edited by what_traffic on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

planning policy is a parody of itself sometimes.... we're spending significant public funds to build a dedicated pedestrian bridge (yes yes, cycles too).... and they have to keep a footpath on the existing structure because there's one sentence in a planning document that says it's a protected view, and that's the opinion of probably a single planner who likely has since left the planning coliseum!

plain nuts.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

In fairness, it is a pretty impressive view.

And a footpath without bicycles is far preferable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,700 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

You could actually see many many salmon under the bridge, especially if you had polaroid glasses. I always had a look whenever I crossed. I often saw fisherman put a fly right on their nose but 99% of the time the salmon would completely ignore it. Salmon that have just come in off the sea and are waiting to go upstream to spawning areas tend not to feed. The fisherman would hook the rare salmon that would react to the fly.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

Advertisement