Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New England Patriots Thread Mod Warning Post #253

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,086 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

saw the highlights.

as great as Brady is, that NE offensive line was absolutely astonishing. to be able to give Brady that much time, and take that much pressure off him was astounding.

it's like the team finds the regular season too mundane and decide to be the real deal come post-season.

Incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

Wow what a bat**** crazy game. Hogan's catch was insane! Will probably fade into memory with the Brady, Gronk and Edelman clutch plays but Hogan's was the game winner IMO! Trey Flowers is a beast, pay the man!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

spiderdan wrote: »
    Trey Flowers is a beast, pay the man!!
    I reckon he'll be gone (hopefully with a ring). He may want top money, but he won't get that in NE. Would like to keep him, and pair him with similar talent, but they'll probably move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

I reckon he'll be gone (hopefully with a ring). He may want top money, but he won't get that in NE. Would like to keep him, and pair him with similar talent, but they'll probably move on.

Bill has a lot of picks at the draft this year --- I'd love if he stayed but as you say, he wont get $$$ at NE.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,990 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Brady's accuracy on that last drive was something else, ball reaching Edelman microseconds before the defender could get there. His touch on the td for Dorsett was lovely too.

So many amazing performances. Hogan with a career highlight reel catch, and the one which was (wrongly imo) ruled incomplete.

White with some disgusting clutch catches, especially the one on 3rd where it looked like he reached backwards around the defender. He was also really strong between the tackles.

The run blocking was brutal. Develin's hit for Michel's 2nd was Savage, pancaked his man. Gronk was immense too.

My heart can't take Pats playoff games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

The run blocking was brutal. Develin's hit for Michel's 2nd was Savage, pancaked his man. Gronk was immense too.

Other teams don't even bother with his position anymore, it's gone out of fashion.

Be we still value the Full Back position, we have James Develin and he is a God.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭Shedite27

No issues with any of the calls other than the face mask call on Brady which was a bit bogus but that is also down to the new rules.
    Edelman did not touch the ball on the punt return and the Pats had a bogus call against them for pass interference near the end so they evened themselves out i think.
    I'm glad in hindsight that the Pats turned the ball over straight after the Edelman "non-fumble". I'm sure there'd have been a lot written about it if we scored on every drive after that to win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,291 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Since when did the Patriots run the ball so freely and creatively..

That game was great drama

• Registered Users Posts: 11,031 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

lawred2 wrote: »
    Since when did the Patriots run the ball so freely and creatively..

That game was great drama

Patriots are nearly always one of the top teams in running the ball. They just do it by committee so don't have a star name that gets the media attention. It was clear from picking up an RB in the first round of the draft that it was going to an important focus again.

Chiefs also have one of the worst run defenses in the league which helped a bit last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,473 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It was fitting that, while Brady had a great game, the game was won on the ground behind a block by Develin and Gronk.

Next stop.. Atlanta!

• Advertisement

I don't even know what to say anymore about Tom Brady, what can you say? There are no words left in the dictionary. A lot of personnel moves before the season started, left me not expecting much from our offense this season. Yet were going to another Superbowl. The way things are going, we probably won't need to draft Brady's heir for another 4-5 years.
    If we can keep the OL at the level they were at in the last game, Brady isn't even being touched let alone sacked or knocked down. He's playing pitch and catch and there's no reason he can't do that till 45!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,604 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It'll be interesting to see how we deal with Cooks.
    Of course the first thing we need to do is shut down the run on them. If we do that then it's all in Goff's hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

These Patriots are scheduled to become free agents on March 13

ERFA - Cody Hollister
    RFA - Jonathan Jones

UFAs

Gostkowski
    Hogan
    Jason McCourty
    Patterson
    Malcom Brown
    Flowers
    Shelton
    Ryan Allen
    Trent Brown
    Waddle
    Dorsett
    Simon
    Ulrick John
    McClellan
    Humber
    Schewnke
    Rowe
    Hill

I presume Gost and Trent Brown would be priorities. I'm sure Flowers would be welcomed back, but history would suggest otherwise!

Pretty much all of those are locks to be gone. I don't know of any outstanding kickers coming up in the draft or if there would even be appetite to replace Gostkowski so I assume he'll be back. We're probably going to see one of Brown and Flowers gone, and probably the vast majority of the rest will be gone too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭me89

Everyone is complaining and saying it was a terrible game but I really enjoyed it #6 :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I really enjoyed the game, there was some great defensive plays and it keep the excitement right up to the end as the game could have swung either way.

What a great defensive struggle. Paying for it now as I didnt book the day off work like normal but i'm glad I stayed up to watch it.

Our defense played well above the sum of their individual talents, very few big names but get the job done against a new era QB and coach.

Come on Tom, lets make it 10 bowl appearances before retiring at least!!

No chance we can afford to keep Flowers next year, he's been immense this season.

How was Develin not 1st team All Pro? The foundation of our running game, best FB in the game imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Anyone remember when the Pats were good anymore in 2014 (but went on to play in 4 of the next 5 SB's, winning 3)?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFuffcVDKKg

No chance we can afford to keep Flowers next year, he's been immense this season.
    There are a lot of top DE's free to move this year and tackles too. I think there is a good chance that we get to hang on to both Flowers and Brown.
    How was Develin not 1st team All Pro? The foundation of our running game, best FB in the game imo.
    Develin didn't get many mentions last night and he was immense. He cleared holes and blocked exceptionally well last night. It's nothing new either, an all rounder, he can catch the ball too. Absolutely should have been all-pro this season and last season too. Best full back in the league and there is nobody even close to him.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    There are a lot of top DE's free to move this year and tackles too. I think there is a good chance that we get to hang on to both Flowers and Brown.

Develin didn't get many mentions last night and he was immense. He cleared holes and blocked exceptionally well last night. It's nothing new either, an all rounder, he can catch the ball too. Absolutely should have been all-pro this season and last season too. Best full back in the league and there is nobody even close to him.

Genuinely baffling to me. His blocks against the Chiefs were savage, loved the one for Michel's 2nd td. Absolutely pancaked his man.

The problem is the death of the fullback position across the league. Most teams don't even have a fullback on the roster and wouldn't have a full back/ h back on the field for the vast majority of their snaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

You're not wrong Elm, but would than not make him more likely to be a 1st team All-Pro?

D9Male wrote:
    You're not wrong Elm, but would than not make him more likely to be a 1st team All-Pro?
    There used to be a full back slot on it but they changed it to flex a coupe if years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Okay, silly me.

I think it is hard to justify him being AP if there is no dedicated FB slot. I wouldn't have him within an asses roar of Elliot, Gurley or Barkley.

ELM327 wrote: »
    What a great defensive struggle. Paying for it now as I didnt book the day off work like normal but i'm glad I stayed up to watch it.

Our defense played well above the sum of their individual talents, very few big names but get the job done against a new era QB and coach.

Come on Tom, lets make it 10 bowl appearances before retiring at least!!

Beat the Steelers in the AFC Championship Game. Go on to win SB LIV. 7 for NE, 7 for Brady, 9 for Belichick. Fetch 'em the pipe & slippers. (in that order).

eagle eye wrote: »
    Absolutely should have been all-pro this season and last season too. Best full back in the league and there is nobody even close to him.

Kyle Juszczyk is a better FB. In 2018 he had 5 times the receiving yards and 4 times the rushing yards, while still doing the bread and butter of the FB position.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Kyle Juszczyk is a better FB. In 2018 he had 5 times the receiving yards and 4 times the rushing yards, while still doing the bread and butter of the FB position.

Fullback is not really about receiving or rushing yards though. The main criteria for a fullback should be blocking in both the pass and run game.

Perhaps it's my pats fan bias but it's hard to put anyone even in the same league as Develin at the position right now. He's just pancaking everyone!

ELM327 wrote: »
    Fullback is not really about receiving or rushing yards though. The main criteria for a fullback should be blocking in both the pass and run game.

Perhaps it's my pats fan bias but it's hard to put anyone even in the same league as Develin at the position right now. He's just pancaking everyone!

That’s like saying you shouldn’t include Cam Newtons running ability in assessing him because your belief is that the main criteria for a QB is throwing or similarly excluding the catching ability of Bell when ranking him as a RB.

More than fan bias, I’d wager you haven’t watched much of Juszczyk in the last 2 years. He can block in both pass and run but also offers so much more on top of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

Agreed -Develin is by far the greatest fullback of all time.

Advertisement