Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When the system breaks

Options
  • 03-02-2019 11:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭

I’m reading through this forum and I’m seeing a serious lack of understanding in why there is a growing number of people who have checked out of society and could not give a flying fluck what any of you think really.

Say Margaret Cash or the dishonest people screwing the claim system or people out begging or stealing from shops or just sitting at home on the dole.

These people have no interest in society because society had no interest in them until it was too late.
    Children are being dragged up by parents all over the country. These parents were probably dragged up or have mental issues or addiction problems or god knows what.

Why would a child who has grown through that suddenly hit working age and then decide modern society is great and they have to toe the line to keep things civilized.
    Why wouldn’t they favor disorder over order. At least during disorder they have a chance of getting ahead. What other option is there for the son of a traveller? A job in tesco? A token acting job on a few rte dramas?
    Society is an opt in thing and with all the waste in the public service why would these outsiders think society is a good thing to buy into.

This whole set up only works if the majority people get something out of it and what seems to be happening is less and less people are doing well out of society and more people are suffering. My dad was a manaul worker and could buy a house. His father was a plasterer and he had a house in a nice area.
    I’m a plumber and through some lucky breaks managed to buy a house but lads I work with are really struggling to pay rent and tread water.

At what point will a large number of people say ah feck this and check out of life as we know it and start trying to just take what they want?

Comments

At what point will a large number of people say ah feck this and check out of life as we know it

Jonestown was one.

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

I’m reading through this forum and I’m seeing a serious lack of understanding in why there is a growing number of people who have checked out of society and could not give a flying fluck what any of you think really.

Say Margaret Cash or the dishonest people screwing the claim system or people out begging or stealing from shops or just sitting at home on the dole.

These people have no interest in society because society had no interest in them until it was too late.
    Children are being dragged up by parents all over the country. These parents were probably dragged up or have mental issues or addiction problems or god knows what.

Why would a child who has grown through that suddenly hit working age and then decide modern society is great and they have to toe the line to keep things civilized.
    Why wouldn’t they favor disorder over order. At least during disorder they have a chance of getting ahead. What other option is there for the son of a traveller? A job in tesco? A token acting job on a few rte dramas?
    Society is an opt in thing and with all the waste in the public service why would these outsiders think society is a good thing to buy into.

This whole set up only works if the majority people get something out of it and what seems to be happening is less and less people are doing well out of society and more people are suffering. My dad was a manaul worker and could buy a house. His father was a plasterer and he had a house in a nice area.
    I’m a plumber and through some lucky breaks managed to buy a house but lads I work with are really struggling to pay rent and tread water.

At what point will a large number of people say ah feck this and check out of life as we know it and start trying to just take what they want?

Jonestown was one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

East Asia is West Asia, Debt is Freedom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Flyingsnowball

A lot of talk of Jonestown but I would say Jobstown May be seen by historians as the start of a break in Irish society.
    I doubt Margaret cash will drink the coolaid anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

so OP your saying someone who works in retail are losers and then some low lives have a right to abuse system on those people who try to make a living basically.

I see the point in hating general system and those at the top but your answer sure lets fck up people that are vulnerable, and try to make ends meet by stealing from those who have 0 and f all to do with your issue, and then conveniently blame it on society to say its because they dont have other choice.

• Advertisement

<parrot squawk>

You'll bigone long before I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

anigif_enhanced-buzz-1928-1409324910-12.gif

scamalert wrote: »
    so OP your saying someone who works in retail are losers and then some low lives have a right to abuse system on those people who try to make a living basically.

I see the point in hating general system and those at the top but your answer sure lets fck up people that are vulnerable, and try to make ends meet by stealing from those who have 0 and f all to do with your issue, and then conveniently blame it on society to say its because they dont have other choice.

Not really. I’m saying people in retail used to live a life that was liveable. Now it’s pretty much not much better than social welfare. Why would somebody who’s parents never worked join society to have that option instead of just stealing from rich old people in posh areas? There was nobody helping them learn right and wrong when their parents were coming home and drunk and giving them ptsd the only workers they interacted with were probably bailiffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

"join the people on the dole, they lost interest years ago"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

instead of just stealing from rich old people in posh areas? There was nobody helping them learn right and wrong when their parents were coming home and drunk and giving them ptsd the only workers they interacted with were probably bailiffs.

hope your van gets stolen one day or maybe when your old someone breaks into your house, you sound like total scumbag.

• Advertisement

scamalert wrote: »
    hope your van gets stolen one day or maybe when your old someone breaks into your house, you sound like total scumbag.

Jaysis. I think only one of us here is a scumbag and it’s not me.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Spleerbun

Jonestown was one.

Ride me sideways was another one

• Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It's all one big swirling toilet.

It's all one big swirling toilet.

It’s like a fecal merry go round

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭10fathoms

Thinly veiled "I have a house" thread

10fathoms wrote: »
    Thinly veiled "I have a house" thread

Won’t be worth much when the looters try take it. I won’t blame them really. I just hope it happens while I’m strong enough to fight them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,036 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

If you're talking locally, I think Ireland is far too apathetic for something like that.

Beyond that, I'm curious to know what you've read to make you think like that. Yes, there are a few extreme viewpoints, but most are based on a degree if ignorance.

If what your talking about is the traditional (if somewhat innacurate) anarchist faction, and that will never get the support it needs that frightens the **** out of most people. The system might not work, but it does provide some element of security - and security is more important than a working system.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

If you're talking locally, I think Ireland is far too apathetic for something like that.

Beyond that, I'm curious to know what you've read to make you think like that. Yes, there are a few extreme viewpoints, but most are based on a degree if ignorance.

If what your talking about is the traditional (if somewhat innacurate) anarchist faction, and that will never get the support it needs that frightens the **** out of most people. The system might not work, but it does provide some element of security - and security is more important than a working system.

What I’ve read? What I’ve read? I eat lunch some days in a container with labourers some from Estonia and some from jobstown. They don’t give a fiddlers anymore. Engineers are near begging them to work for fear of getting put in the boot of a car and stuck on top of some Darndale bonfire.
    It’s only the people who have something to hold onto that need society and that number is lessening everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

What I’ve read? What I’ve read? I eat lunch some days in a container with labourers some from Estonia and some from jobstown. They don’t give a fiddlers anymore. Engineers are near begging them to work for fear of getting put in the boot of a car and stuck on top of some Darndale bonfire.
    It’s only the people who have something to hold onto that need society and that number is lessening everyday.

Would you say it's time to crack each other's head open and feast on the goo inside?

dav3 wrote: »
    Would you say it's time to crack each other's head open and feast on the goo inside?

I’d honestly say when the next building recession hits it’ll be all out chaos. I’m going to do what I can to get by. I was honest in the last bust and got no thanks for it. I’m not saying I’m going to start stealing from people or anything but I work with lads who couldn’t give a fiddlers at the moment and that’s while they have a job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Tiguan Joe

Whenever the illuminati stop putting fluoride in the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭emo72

You need people to invest in society. At the foundation of the state politicians and the Catholic church encouraged people to buy houses thereby investing in society.

It worked, if you own a house you have something you can lose.

If people can no longer afford to buy, or more accurately get a mortgage, then why give a flying feck.

The op makes a very valid point, this is going to be a problem going forward. I could afford to buy a house on a shopkeepers wage in the 90s, that's not possible now. You need a much bigger education and wage to aspire to the same level.

When **** goes down, don't say "I didn't see that coming". Because it's kind of obvious.

Tiguan Joe wrote: »
    Whenever the illuminati stop putting fluoride in the water.

You know what joe it’s been mentioned to me a lot lately not to drink the water people tell me it’s bad for the stomach. I reckon they believe if they get enough people off the water they will join the rebellion

I like free water though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

emo72 wrote: »
    You need people to invest in society. At the foundation of the state politicians and the Catholic church encouraged people to buy houses thereby investing in society.

It worked, if you own a house you have something you can lose.

If people can no longer afford to buy, or more accurately get a mortgage, then why give a flying feck.

The op makes a very valid point, this is going to be a problem going forward. I could afford to buy a house on a shopkeepers wage in the 90s, that's not possible now. You need a much bigger education and wage to aspire to the same level.

When **** goes down, don't say "I didn't see that coming". Because it's kind of obvious.

You make a very good point and something myself and a few friends are experiencing, we just pick up throw away jobs and go travelling when we've saved up a bit of money, we'll never own a house or even afford rent, so there's no incentive there to be slaving away.

You make a very good point and something myself and a few friends are experiencing, we just pick up throw away jobs and go travelling when we've saved up a bit of money, we'll never own a house or even afford rent, so there's no incentive there to be slaving away.

It will be an honor to fight you tooth and nail for everything I’ve worked for. I understand that if you win I only got where I am because of circumstance but if you win I never deserved what I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,036 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

You're opening post started with the line, "I'm reading through this forum and...", so where the Estonian labourers come into this I don't know.

I agree with you on the last line, but security IS something people have to hold onto. Both the physcial element - in the form of an asset or income - or the idea of societal security. Order is as important to people as their base.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Yis are reading too much sheeeet about sheeeet you'd never read if you weren't reading to much sheeeet!?
    Social media has peoples heads foooked up,.

You're opening post started with the line, "I'm reading through this forum and...", so where the Estonian labourers come into this I don't know.

I agree with you on the last line, but security IS something people have to hold onto. Both the physcial element - in the form of an asset or income - or the idea of societal security. Order is as important to people as their base.

The big idiot thing amongst the rich is that they can just pay the poor to be their security when the **** hits the fan. Think about that. Say you have all them factories and farm and gold and money. In a world where you have to fight to keep what you have.

You going to trust a security guard?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I see where you're coming from OP even if you articulate your point in a roundabout way and base it on very anecdotal evidence (your younger work colleagues).

What's happening I believe is that we have reached a point where many key aspects of the Western capitalist economy - that of a secure future in a given career, improving standard of living and affordable home ownership - are going into reverse or going seriously askew.

All the while the media does its best to distract the masses by bread and circuses - cheap food, cheap drink/drugs, cheap holidays/travel and clothes and vacuous television/celebs/magazines/social media etc.

For those on the losing side, there may well be the attitude of nothing left to lose but to drop out of "society" etc.

The "squeezed middle" are being pushed from the "professional" class above and the "welfare" class below. Essentially the demise of the aspiring working class and lower middle class.

Established political party systems that don't (or won't) recognise this very important trend so finger pointing and blaming the "other" goes mad and we have a rise of the far right wing, Brexit and Trump. A former sociology lecturer of mine in college in the 1990s predicted all this. Rinse and repeat...

We live in interesting times.

• Advertisement

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I see where you're coming from OP even if you articulate your ooint in a roundabout way and base it on very anecdotal evidence (your younger work colleagues).

What's happening is thay we have reached a point where many key aspects of the Western capitalist economy - that of a secure future in a given career, improving standard of living and hone owbership - are going into reverse or going seriously askew. For those on the losing side, there may well be the attitude of nothing keft to lose but to drop out of "society" etc.

The "squeezed middle" that are being pushed from the "professoinal" class above and the "welfare" class below. Established political partiy systems that don't (or won't) recognise this very important trend so fingwe pointing goes mad and we have a rise of the far right wing, Brexit and Trump. My sociology lecturer in college in the 1990s predicted all this. Rinse and repeat...

We live in interesting times.

They arnt even my younger work colleagues if It was just that I’d put it down to youth. There are lads in there mid 40s thinking like teenagers which I never seen in a majority group of men before. The dads of the group have no reason to promote society as we know it

Advertisement