Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gardai stage 3 : can they ask if you've visited a third party for prep

Options
  • 29-01-2019 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Long time lurker first time poster guys 👋. Had the stage 3 interview this morning, fairly certain I've failed.

i was asked at the end by chairperson did I go to a third party for interview prep.

Is this an acceptable qeustion? Or is it grounds for an appeal.

Just wondering, I wasn't offended but a little thrown off by it, kinda clutching at straws in hopes of a resit probably better off to leave it and just reapply the next time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭MrBlack93

Not a chance that'd be grounds for an appeal. Straightforward question and maybe it was a subtle hint that you should've did more preparation for the interview

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭vespahead

MrBlack93 wrote: »
    Not a chance that'd be grounds for an appeal. Straightforward question and maybe it was a subtle hint that you should've did more preparation for the interview

Yep understood what was meant by it ðŸ‘ðŸ‘. As I said clutching at straws and half knew the answer before I asked

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭paddyCPW

vespahead wrote: »
    Long time lurker first time poster guys ��. Had the stage 3 interview this morning, fairly certain I've failed.

i was asked at the end by chairperson did I go to a third party for interview prep.

Just wondering, I wasn't offended but a little thrown off by it, kinda clutching at straws in hopes of a resit probably better off to leave it and just reapply the next time?

They can ask this, to see what you say under pressure. What did you answer to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭CZ 453

I was asked the same. Forgot I'd actually done one. Said no first then said actually I did. They must've thought I was telling a fib but I actually forgot I did an online one. Ha.

On your case. You should try and relax until you get your result. A lot of people come out of those interviews thinking the same thing. Did they tell you when you'd hear? I'm waiting.

CZ 453 wrote: »
    I was asked the same. Forgot I'd actually done one. Said no first then said actually I did. They must've thought I was telling a fib but I actually forgot I did an online one. Ha.

On your case. You should try and relax until you get your result. A lot of people come out of those interviews thinking the same thing. Did they tell you when you'd hear? I'm waiting.

Yeah I agree, a lot of people think they fail it, but they actually pass it. I was one of them and scored well.

• Advertisement

paddyCPW wrote: »
    They can ask this, to see what you say under pressure. What did you answer to this?

I said I had, I did hesitate though

I said I had, I did hesitate though

You'll be fine, don't worry about it.

I was very close to saying no, I'd say they well know who has and hasn't by the consistency of answers and sure it would only show you are going through extra expense/effort if you have.

Didn't tell me when I'd hear or not, trying to not over think that aswell.

Was told that it could be as soon as Friday from another person

I was very close to saying no, I'd say they well know who has and hasn't by the consistency of answers and sure it would only show you are going through extra expense/effort if you have.

Didn't tell me when I'd hear or not, trying to not over think that aswell.

Was told that it could be as soon as Friday from another person

Generally you hear back within 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Irishman87545

Yeah he could have asked out of curiosity , possibly alot of your interview answers are structured similar to anyone else whose done the prep course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Carles Puyol

There's no way I'd be answering yes to that question in the interview, true or not.

Let me just preface this by saying don't assume you've failed until you know for certain. It's natural for most people to think they've done worse than they did.
    As for your query, I don't think it would be grounds for an appeal unless you could show/claim it biased the examiner in any way. But if it was at the end of the interview they probably had you graded already so more than likely a futile exercise.

Tbh, even if you do fail I wouldn't appeal unless you're over 35. If you are unsuccessful, learn from your mistakes and apply again this year. All the indications are that there will be another recruitment campaign in the coming months.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Holeymoley11

Keep the head up! You prob passed! and if not don't let it get to you
    I failed the first time on the interview and it motivated me even more going into the 2nd time as you know
    exactly what your up against!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭bottar1

I don't think it's an unfair question. I don't think they would judge you if you had. Most people do prepare for interviews and if anything that's a good thing that you took things seriously, really wanted something and took all the opportunities to increase your chances...

No point dwelling on it now, just wait for results.

Long time lurker first time poster guys ��. Had the stage 3 interview this morning, fairly certain I've failed.

Did you get your result today? Some did.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 TR 2525

Did you get your result today? Some did.

Results are out. Passed it thank god 😊

TR 2525 wrote: »
    Results are out. Passed it thank god ��

Congrats. Looks like a good few months for the next stage.

Congrats. Looks like a good few months for the next stage.

Hopefully it won’t be too long. It’s hard to know. All we can do is wait to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Henry2006

Results are out. Passed it thank god 😊

My daughter passed too. This is her second time as failed the pct in September 2016. I think the format is different this time, is the medical first or pct ?

Henry2006 wrote: »
    My daughter passed too. This is her second time as failed the pct in September 2016. I think the format is different this time, is the medical first or pct ?

Same as myself failing in 2016! tell her congrats!

I did medical first then about 2-3 months PCT

Make sure BMI be under 30 and you will be graaand!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Texmex

Physical first then medical. Congrats to your daughter.ðŸ˜

• Advertisement

Texmex wrote: »

If you fail the physical do you have to start again from the beginning or can you retake the physical in the next group.

If you fail the physical do you have to start again from the beginning or can you retake the physical in the next group.

You get to retake the physical, usually within 3 months of failing it.

Thanks a mill, last time it was the medical first

Same as myself failing in 2016! tell her congrats!

I did medical first then about 2-3 months PCT

Make sure BMI be under 30 and you will be graaand!

Thanks a mill, great you have those behind you

Thanks a mill, great you have those behind you

Just a note I think someone up above said it was physical first then medical I dont know if they changed that? I did the medical first and im thinking it would make more sense to do a medical ( to see if you are Healthy) to do the physical

Just a note I think someone up above said it was physical first then medical I dont know if they changed that? I did the medical first and im thinking it would make more sense to do a medical ( to see if you are Healthy) to do the physical

Yep that was me. They changed it this year to physical first then medical. You also need to get a form signed by your Gp to ensure that you are fit for the physical. So form for Gp is sent to you first, then a few weeks later you get date for physical, then medical. :-)

Yep that was me. They changed it this year to physical first then medical. You also need to get a form signed by your Gp to ensure that you are fit for the physical. So form for Gp is sent to you first, then a few weeks later you get date for physical, then medical. :-)

Ahhh that's interesting enough! didn't know that! More red tape tho :cool:
    and have you everything complete yourself?

Ahhh that's interesting enough! didn't know that! More red tape tho :cool:
    and have you everything complete yourself?

Physical coming up next week. Things are moving pretty quickly this campaign (for me anyway) . Hopefully it keeps going that way.

Thanks for that, I did think it was different this campaign. She had everything done in September 2016 vetting completed, met with super etc but failed on the beep test so had to start right back at the beginning so knows she will really need to work on fitness this time

• Advertisement

Physical coming up next week. Things are moving pretty quickly this campaign (for me anyway) . Hopefully it keeps going that way.

Ah great stuff!! best of luck!! had my phsy in Dec wasn't too bad!

Advertisement