Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail jobs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 PGzDuffman

Yeah well the women of Ireland don’t want you on here discouraging others and making it an unfair process so I’m pretty sure your on your own.
    Don't feed the troll mate

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭CiboC

GM228 wrote: »
    The only other test is what is known as the AART test where you are given pictures etc.

I chose Monday for my next session, and am glad I did - I had an awful dose of a viral head cold thing last Friday when I did the first set of test and am only getting over it now - would certainly not have been up to heavy concentration tasks on Wednesday or Thursday of this week!

Was the time interval in the observation test really as short as that shown in the example posted? It seems quite a challenge if so!

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Rootsblower

CiboC wrote: »
    I chose Monday for my next session, and am glad I did - I had an awful dose of a viral head cold thing last Friday when I did the first set of test and am only getting over it now - would certainly not have been up to heavy concentration tasks on Wednesday or Thursday of this week!

Was the time interval in the observation test really as short as that shown in the example posted? It seems quite a challenge if so!

How will you concentrate on driving a train with a head cold so

:confused: You know it's not a permanent condition....??

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

It's not crazy to think illness might put someone at a disadvantage in an exam setting....
    Weren't you telling people earlier in the thread not to get ahead of themselves asking questions about driving the trains and just concentrate on passing the tests, and now you're saying if you get head colds don't bother being a train driver 🙄

• Advertisement

It's not crazy to think illness might put someone at a disadvantage in an exam setting....
    Weren't you telling people earlier in the thread not to get ahead of themselves asking questions about driving the trains and just concentrate on passing the tests, and now you're saying if you get head colds don't bother being a train driver 🙄

If you can’t do a concentration test with a head cold then I fail to see how you will drive a train with a head cold, I think it’s a legitimate question

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

If you can’t do a concentration test with a head cold then I fail to see how you will drive a train with a head cold, I think it’s a legitimate question

Just pointing out that illness in any scenario will put someone at a disadvantage. Especially in exams. Also just pointing out you said previously not to get ahead of ourselves but now you're jumping ahead and making discouraging comments.

Just pointing out that illness in any scenario will put someone at a disadvantage. Especially in exams. Also just pointing out you said previously not to get ahead of ourselves but now you're jumping ahead and making discouraging comments.

I am not discouraging people, the legitimate question is, if a person can’t do a concentration test (whilst having a head cold) for a job that requires massive concentration for hours on end, how will they do said job if they have a head cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Willie Stroker 1976

I am not discouraging people, the legitimate question is, if a person can’t do a concentration test (whilst having a head cold) for a job that requires massive concentration for hours on end, how will they do said job if they have a head cold.

Can’t you call in sick IR if under the weather?

how will they do said job if they have a head cold.

I simply pointed out that I was glad to have picked Monday to give myself a change to shift the bug I had picked up and so give myself the best chance with the next set of tests.

Jaysus, some on here seem to want to pick a row over anything.

As for driving a train while sick, I am quite sure that, like any other employment, it is possible to call in sick if you really are not fit for work on any particular day...

• Advertisement

Can’t you call in sick IR if under the weather?

Of course u can but the point I’m making is that many things affect your concentration but to be successful driving trains you need to forget about these and be disciplined and do your job
    If you can’t do that your gonna find out very quickly driving trains is not the job for you. You can’t call in sick for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Doghouses

They have lemsip at most depots just for tho scenario I heard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Doghouses wrote:
    They have lemsip at most depots just for tho scenario I heard

Honest question but you do you find your behaviour here rewarding?

Honest question but you do you find your behaviour here rewarding?

You beat me to it

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Willie Stroker 1976

Doghouses is just a clown. Simple as. Must be bored of life to take time out to troll on boards.ie

Doghouses is just a clown. Simple as. Must be bored of life to take time out to troll on boards.ie

First time I've seen someone troll on the C&T forum, AH would be more reactionary to their nonsense.

Why picking on everything I say. I’m not a troll I just trying to join in and be part of the group ����*✈️

Can anyone answer this
    I was looking at train timetables and a lot of full trips could be around 3 hours one way.
    How long in one day will you generally be actually driving
    Will your starting point always be where you finish
    Would you say drive to Dublin to Waterford then have to have your lunch in Waterford for example then maybe somewhere else another day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Doghouses wrote: »
    Can anyone answer this
    I was looking at train timetables and a lot of full trips could be around 3 hours one way.
    How long in one day will you generally be actually driving
    Will your starting point always be where you finish
    Would you say drive to Dublin to Waterford then have to have your lunch in Waterford for example then maybe somewhere else another day
    Considering the vast insider information you claim to possess i would have though you know this, troll

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

First time I've seen someone troll on the C&T forum, AH would be more reactionary to their nonsense.

You're obviously new here so.

• Advertisement

Del.Monte wrote:
    You're obviously new here so.

This forum yes as like many others applied for the position and am grateful for the info and knowledge available here.Boards.ie no.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

This forum yes as like many others applied for the position and am grateful for the info and knowledge available here.Boards.ie no.

Most of the information/queries seemed to be along the lines of - how many days off will I get if I get a job. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

You have missed a load of fun over the years :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Most of the information/queries seemed to be along the lines of - how many days off will I get if I get a job. :rolleyes:

Well now that you mention it :)
    although in seriousness, some official insight into the work involved, expected progression, whats in the training & the shift pattern possibilities might actually let people know what they are in for, and save IE time and effort in selecting and training people as some people might realise in advance that it wont suit them/they wont like it. It might be better for IE and applicants to know that in advance.
    Or maybe they will provide information like that after they filter through the applications to some point?

1874 wrote: »
    Well now that you mention it :)
    although in seriousness, some official insight into the work involved, expected progression, whats in the training & the shift pattern possibilities might actually let people know what they are in for, and save IE time and effort in selecting and training people as some people might realise in advance that it wont suit them/they wont like it. It might be better for IE and applicants to know that in advance.
    Or maybe they will provide information like that after they filter through the applications to some point?

Expected progression?? What do u mean

Regarding shifts, I have already said and I imagine IE said it too that the job runs on a 24/7 363 days per year so any shift pattern is possible.

I’d be the first to criticize IE but in fairness every depot is different regarding rosters.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭blueband

Regarding shifts, I have already said and I imagine IE said it too that the job runs on a 24/7 363 days per year so any shift pattern is possible.

I’d be the first to criticize IE but in fairness every depot is different regarding rosters.

I expect it means how long does it take to advance through the salary scale to the top point and what does it require?
    May also mean promotion potential to more senior positions in the company beyond driver

As I understand there's no train service 24hrs day, most run to about midnight and start times are about 6ish for the earliest.
    So I assume the earliest shift probably starts no earlier than about 4.30am and latest finish around 1am?
    Am I way off?

blueband wrote: »
    I expect it means how long does it take to advance through the salary scale to the top point and what does it require?
    May also mean promotion potential to more senior positions in the company beyond driver

As I understand there's no train service 24hrs day, most run to about midnight and start times are about 6ish for the earliest.
    So I assume the earliest shift probably starts no earlier than about 4.30am and latest finish around 1am?
    Am I way off?

Promotional prospects are poor outside Dublin, remember that the training is a big financial investment on behalf of the company I’ve been told that it costs around €100k to train a driver though I don’t believe it. The company doesn’t generally promote drivers too quickly until they’ve recouped the cost of training and then some. During unforeseen driver shortages which seem to happen regularly they can’t afford to lose drivers so they don’t promote them. The only promotion guaranteed to be a driver is inspector over drivers. You must be a driver to get this job and have at least 3 or 5 years experience I’m not sure. I haven’t seen one of these jobs come up in at least 8 years.

Salary scale is 10 years.

Some depots especially Dublin based depots have actual night work. Just cos trains ain’t running doesn’t mean there ain’t drivers on duty shunting trains and prepping them to go out on early morning services.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭It wasnt me

blueband wrote: »

Am I way off?

Your not to far off

In the luas depots theres always 1 driver rostered on through the night who brings the trams through the wash and sanding station also through different lanes and into the maintenance depot
    Basically depot moves,control room is 24hr manned.
    Earliest shift could be 3.30 and in as a spare driver before first shifts start.
    Most drivers and a mentor driver i had would of gladly took a steady 9 to 5 with a steady salary as the shifts played havoc with there lives.

These jobs although set up for life are mentally taxing and stressful.
    Nothing pleasant about getting up at 3am coming into work as a spare driver on a monday morning in the depths of winter.
    You dont read or hear about the near misses of people jumping or people trying to kill themselves.
    Thats the stark reality of these jobs and in no way am i trying to put people off these roles.
    It can be a whole different ball game when you get inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

By expected progression, I mean what do IE expect, ie partly the timeline and do you train to be a train driver first or do you train up to other related roles alongside to get experience/knowledge of everything around the operational workings of the job and carry them out as or after you already trained/wait your turn to fulltime driving.

• Advertisement

I think it would of been beneficial to have a Q&A with management where applicants could have ironed out some of the queries relating the role. I myself have a few which could effect by ability to take the job.
    I know you have to be flexible which I would be willing to do but to what extent?
    For example do they roster around certain requirements or locations?
    Rather then taking all this time off work not to mention the cost of the medicals that they will have to incur.
    Even if they got the shortlist down to around 50 then had one .... 10 could’ve dropped out before the medical
    I could see a scenario where someone gets the the final interview with management and drops out

Advertisement