Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What are your goals for 2019?

Comments

High 30s?jesus

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

bluewolf wrote: »
    High 30s?jesus

It gave some nurses cause for concern :) . I was in for some tests and my heart rate monitor kept alarming.

It was proper resting HR though, I think a lot of people measure their's sitting down, which is enough to slightly elevate the HR. Mine was measured in lab conditions, lying still for a couple of minutes. I volunteered for an experiment in James's hospital, that involved running at various speeds on a threadmill and measuring how quickly my HR recovered. It was something to do with measuring base metabolic rate.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Brian? wrote: »
    It gave some nurses cause for concern :) . I was in for some tests and my heart rate monitor kept alarming.

Had the same with the monitor...it happened more at night which was a giant pain in the hole when you've just managed to get to sleep on your trolley

I had a beepy monitor when mine went below 58 or something but it wasn't often!
    Fitbit has it generally going up and down between 58 and 70

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

To be alive on 1.1.20.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭Worztron

Define normal?

At my fittest my resting HR was in the high 30s. Now it's in the low 50s. With the amount of cycling I'm doing it will be back down to the low 40s soon.

It's not a great measure of fitness, but it's one indicator that you're on the right track.

https://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/features/5-heart-rate-myths-debunked

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Worztron wrote: »

That article agrees with me. Was that your point?

they/them/theirs

That article agrees with me. Was that your point?

Excerpt from the article: "About 50-70 beats per minute is ideal".

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Excerpt from the article: "About 50-70 beats per minute is ideal".

Contradicting excerpt:

“The better shape you're in, the slower your heart rate will be when you're not moving around.”

I think you’re confusing the recommendation here. 50-70 is a healthy range for most people. Over 70 is possibly unhealthy. That doesn’t mean that under 50 is unhealthy.

I’d be very surprised to find any study showing a low heart rate was something to worry about. Or even any doctor who’d recommend getting less fit to raise your heart rate above 50.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

From the same article:

Myth: If my heart rate is slow, it means I have a weak heart.

Not necessarily. A slow heart rate can be a sign that you're healthy and fit. An athlete's heart muscle is in better shape, so it doesn't have to work as hard to keep up a steady beat.

In general, Patel says, slow rates are only a problem if you also pass out, feel dizzy, are short of breath, or have chest pain. See your doctor if you have any of those symptoms.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

I’ve never posted here before, and mine’s a really really basic one compared to some of yours, but join the gym, and actually go, whether it’s before class, after, or during a break. Starting on Monday and looking forward to it :)

Contradicting excerpt:

“The better shape you're in, the slower your heart rate will be when you're not moving around.”

I think you’re confusing the recommendation here. 50-70 is a healthy range for most people. Over 70 is possibly unhealthy. That doesn’t mean that under 50 is unhealthy.

I’d be very surprised to find any study showing a low heart rate was something to worry about. Or even any doctor who’d recommend getting less fit to raise your heart rate above 50.

I never said under 50 was unhealthy.

Kitty6277 wrote: »
    I’ve never posted here before, and mine’s a really really basic one compared to some of yours, but join the gym, and actually go, whether it’s before class, after, or during a break. Starting on Monday and looking forward to it :)

Moving around sometimes is better than not moving around at all. What's working for me is forgetting about headphones and seeing the gym as a time to unwind, have some me time and a digital detox. It's becoming a happy place

I never said under 50 was unhealthy.

Ok. So what was your point about HR?

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

Moving around sometimes is better than not moving around at all. What's working for me is forgetting about headphones and seeing the gym as a time to unwind, have some me time and a digital detox. It's becoming a happy place

That’s a good idea, I might try that. I’m definitely guilty of spending way too much time on my phone so maybe the gym is a place to cut that out.

• Advertisement

Ok. So what was your point about HR?

My point was clear regarding a good range HR for people. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109078159&postcount=42

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

ffs, does anyone give a sh1te about the minute details of Heart rates? moar goals please.

ffs, does anyone give a sh1te about the minute details of Heart rates? moar goals please.

You're right.

More goals.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭GapMinder

Lose and keep off 15kg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭rustynutz

Goals for 2019:

After being plagued with knee issue last year, I got a scope during the week which will hopefully help, so get back to full fitness and staying injury free are my biggest priorities, if that happens:

Do G2 grading in Krav Maga
    Go for Krav Instructor course

To help with cardio for the above goals, cycle 50k once a week (can't run anymore due to knee), and mountain bike for 45 - 60 mins once a week.

Yoga, started it in 2018, keep it up in 2019

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Could you re-measure that?

Right so did it again a couple of times and everytime it is about 48/49.

I don"t get dizzy spells or anything like that. I workout 4-5 times a week. When i am working out my bpm can go as high as 175 depending on how hard I am pushing it. Usually it is between 150 and 165 anything lower and i know I'm not pushing it.

Floppybits wrote: »
    Right so did it again a couple of times and everytime it is about 48/49.

I don"t get dizzy spells or anything like that. I workout 4-5 times a week. When i am working out my bpm can go as high as 175 depending on how hard I am pushing it. Usually it is between 150 and 165 anything lower and i know I'm not pushing it.

Hi Floppybits. Your resting HR looks fine anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Hi Floppybits. Your resting HR looks fine anyway.

Well I guessed that, i was surprised it was that low. I was expecting it to be in the mid to late 50s. So am happy with that.

Now just to shift the weight so I am sleeker, faster model rather than the current turning circle of a cruise ship. 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Goals

1. Lose 2.5 stone - Was 220 at Jan 1 2019 so get down to 185 (6'2)
    2. Build muscle at the same time - i have potential for a good athletic build so would be good to work on that.
    3. incorporate gym into my lifestyle so i don't fall off the wagon. So far going in mornings before work is working out great and I'm finding packing the clothes the night before really helps the temptation not to roll over in bed. I'm finding good benefits in my overall energy and a sense of accomplishment before even entering work. I just want to still be going to the Gym in december at the same rate I am Today.
    4. Aesthetically- if i accomplish 1+2 - be able to wear T shirts as they should be. Most of the weight accumulates around my middle so T shirts and tops dont tend to look well.
    5. Move up from my starter programs into the big boy gym!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Fromescon1968

Reps4jesus wrote: »
    Rinse and repeat of last years goals for me (Ruptured bicep in May put a halt to last year)

140 bench and 200 squat at 93kg (and then staying at or below that weight)

My goal for 2019 is to loose 3kg, to make my abs look nicer and to have the second baby :)

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Fuddyduddy

Deano7788 wrote: »
    More my next goals rather than for the full year, but anyway (and all in comp):

Squat: 250kg. Should be achievable.
    Bench: 135kg. Bit more difficult, but bench has started to move really well the last while.
    Deadlift: 272.5kg (600lbs). Currently trialling sumo, so unsure of when but confident I’ll hit this in 2019 if I stay injury free.
    Total: at least 650kg.

Would also like to hit 400 wilks (even though the IPF won’t be using this anymore) and fill out the 105s more, currently weighing 98kg roughly.

Strong squat to bench ratio. Are you built for squatting or just find benching difficult? Impressive strength though!

My goals are:

140kg bench
    100kg standing OHP
    190kg HB ATG squat
    220kg+ deadlift

And then not be a complete fat **** at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Fuddyduddy wrote: »
    Strong squat to bench ratio. Are you built for squatting or just find benching difficult? Impressive strength though!

My goals are:

140kg bench
    100kg standing OHP
    190kg HB ATG squat
    220kg+ deadlift

And then not be a complete fat **** at the same time.

Bit of both to be honest. Definitely built for squatting out of the 3 lifts, very lower body dominant physique wise, although moving up a weight class is helping to address this somewhat.

Bench has always been my worst lift, but have managed to make good progress the past 13 months thankfully. Started out last year with a 105kg Bench, having failed 107.5kg in a comp the month before. Managed to hit 125kg in my October comp and it seems to have progressed even further since. Would be confident of hitting in the 130s in my next comp.

Did manage to add 55kg to my squat in the same time though :pac:. Doubt I’ll manage to do the same this year but did manage to equal my best triples on comp squat (202.5kg) from before October on low pin squats last night so that seems to be progressing well still.

That's a lot to add to your squat
    How many times a week you squat

Bit of both to be honest. Definitely built for squatting out of the 3 lifts, very lower body dominant physique wise, although moving up a weight class is helping to address this somewhat.

Bench has always been my worst lift, but have managed to make good progress the past 13 months thankfully. Started out last year with a 105kg Bench, having failed 107.5kg in a comp the month before. Managed to hit 125kg in my October comp and it seems to have progressed even further since. Would be confident of hitting in the 130s in my next comp.

Did manage to add 55kg to my squat in the same time though :pac:. Doubt I’ll manage to do the same this year but did manage to equal my best triples on comp squat (202.5kg) from before October on low pin squats last night so that seems to be progressing well still.

Pretty solid progress on everything though, even if you think you're lower body dominant; fair play!

What's your bench press frequency looking like? I had decent progress with higher 3 (sometimes even 4) days per week, and lots of variation between intensity and exercise selection.

For e.g Flat bench with normal grip one day with a given rep range and RPE, the next incline bench, the next flat again but with closer grip than usual.

The main thing is that weight is being added to the bar over time.

55kg added to your squat is insane; I wish!!

That's a lot to add to your squat
    How many times a week you squat
    Pretty solid progress on everything though, even if you think you're lower body dominant; fair play!

What's your bench press frequency looking like? I had decent progress with higher 3 (sometimes even 4) days per week, and lots of variation between intensity and exercise selection.

For e.g Flat bench with normal grip one day with a given rep range and RPE, the next incline bench, the next flat again but with closer grip than usual.

The main thing is that weight is being added to the bar over time.

55kg added to your squat is insane; I wish!!

Squat and deadlift twice a week and bench 3 times. That’s what my coach has had me doing for the majority of the last year, with bench occasionally 4 times.

Starting numbers last year were 190/105/227.5 and hit 245/125/265 in October.

• Advertisement

Squat and deadlift twice a week and bench 3 times. That’s what my coach has had me doing for the majority of the last year, with bench occasionally 4 times.

Starting numbers last year were 190/105/227.5 and hit 245/125/265 in October.

Nice.

Another thing that I find helps pressing quite a bit is high volume assistance movements. Lots of overall delt/rear delt work.More mass to move mass so to speak and joints feel more stable.

Nice.

Another thing that I find helps pressing quite a bit is high volume assistance movements. Lots of overall delt/rear delt work.More mass to move mass so to speak and joints feel more stable.

I never found accessory/isolation work, even at high volumes, carried over to my bench.

Volume, yes...obviously, but through variations of benching rather than more isolation type work.

But I have a poor bench :)

I think they helped me
    I'm just terrible at actually doing them

I never found accessory/isolation work, even at high volumes, carried over to my bench.

Volume, yes...obviously, but through variations of benching rather than more isolation type work.

But I have a poor bench :)

I think the only thing that helped my bench was forgetting about pushing accessory lifts and throwing in a lot of upper back work. I still had a terrible bench but it improved.

they/them/theirs

I think the only thing that helped my bench was forgetting about pushing accessory lifts and throwing in a lot of upper back work. I still had a terrible bench but it improved.

Agree with this too. Feels a lot more stable with a bigger upper back to push from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Agree with this too. Feels a lot more stable with a bigger upper back to push from.

You seem strong enough yourself. Do you compete? What’s your current numbers? What weight are you, if you don’t mind me asking

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    You seem strong enough yourself. Do you compete? What’s your current numbers? What weight are you, if you don’t mind me asking

I'm just building my strength back this year. Was never 'powerlifting' strong and only ever trained for one competition but I was a strength coach for 6 years.

BW 91kg

Bench 132.5kg
    Standing OHP 87.5kg
    Squat 177.5kg
    Deadlift around 215kg.

Nothing spectacular but I do enjoy studying the science behind lifting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I'm just building my strength back this year. Was never 'powerlifting' strong and only ever trained for one competition but I was a strength coach for 6 years.

BW 91kg

Bench 132.5kg
    Standing OHP 87.5kg
    Squat 177.5kg
    Deadlift around 215kg.

There some big pressing numbers

BW 91kg

Bench 132.5kg
    Standing OHP 87.5kg
    Squat 177.5kg
    Deadlift around 215kg.

Our squat and deadlift numbers are similar.

Our pressing numbers are not so similar :D

• Advertisement

I would always have a fair bit of pulling work in there. Just felt that the difference was more volume with bench variations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

BW 91kg

Bench 132.5kg
    Standing OHP 87.5kg
    Squat 177.5kg
    Deadlift around 215kg.

Nice numbers @ 91kg

Most of them are my 19 goals at similar bw 88kg/5'10

I have just stated after nearly 10 years out of the gym, back nearly a year, starting to plateau, gains slowing alot

Bench 120kg ( 19 goal is 130kg and 100kg to feel light :) )
    OHP 85kg ( 19 goal 80kg for reps, 90kg 1 rm)
    Squat 160kg ( 160kg reps, 180kg 1 rm)
    Deadlift 200kg - raw no straps ( 19 goal is 220kg)

Following 5/3/1 plan and following Bill Starr for OHP ( my fav lift)

Want to try a powerlifting comp too

Thats my 19 and stay healthy

Mike9832 wrote: »

1914937_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

2017... lose 4st... tick
    2018..lose a bit more and start a weights programme...tick down by 5.5st overall
    increase my squat above 120kg
    deadlift above 120kg,
    bench is dire struggling at 60kg break that in 2019
    above are all for 5*5s (so maybe that's the problem)BW 90kgs

am 43 so don't expect any miracles- a bit of improvement while maintaining weight loss will do me grand

Hit a snag early in Jan with my 2 year cardiologist check up, he told me I shouldn’t be lifting heavy weights with my condition, I had 2 stents put in aged 30 and no issues since but best to avoid any I suppose.

Started running a bit more and got my 5km down below 30 mins.
    Lost another 1/2 stone and kept up my lifting at above levels.

Hope the rest of ye had better luck?

More my next goals rather than for the full year, but anyway (and all in comp):

Squat: 250kg. Should be achievable. Hit this in April, hit 275kg beginning of November and tripled 250kg with reps to spare a few days ago so easily hit.
    Bench: 135kg. Bit more difficult, but bench has started to move really well the last while. missed this just below lockout in November :o
    Deadlift: 272.5kg (600lbs). Currently trialling sumo, so unsure of when but confident I’ll hit this in 2019 if I stay injury free. Ended up having to switch back to conventional 4 weeks out from the November comp due to hip pain, managed to hit a 2.5kg of 267.5kg off of basically no training for this stance for months so I'll take it.
    Total: at least 650kg. Totalled 672.kg

Would also like to hit 400 wilks hit this and over 600 IPF points (even though the IPF won’t be using this anymore) and fill out the 105s more, currently weighing 98kg roughly. Walking around at about 102kg so gone well enough

Mixed year :pac:. Mainly positive though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,368 ✭✭✭bladespin

bladespin wrote: »
    Keep my numbers up, 240 workouts in 18 and full food log, want to match that.

Aiming for 10 to 12% bf for summer as well.

Another inch on the guns would be nice too lol.

Good luck all.

Didn't quite go to plan last year, started the year with a blast at GVT but came down with viral arthritis in late Feb which knocked me on my arse for over 6 weeks, tried to get the odd session in when I could, ended up in the Beacon with it and an amazing doc who worked a miracle for me, hit 202 workouts in the end.

Did manage to get down to 12% for the end of July, that's a distant memory now after an 'indulgent' Christmas :) Also managed oto push the arms up by about a half inch or little more, happy out with that.

Aims for 2020, keep the workouts going, would love to get to 10% or even lower for the genofit scan in the end of June.

Get ripped!

Best of luck all.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Advertisement

Keep showing up consistently and get some PRs
    break past a 60kg bench??

Got prs
    Got 62.5kg bench :p
    That was back in May. Haven't bothered peaking or testing since

1) To be told I'm able to squat and deadlift again

2) To train regularly with a view to competing at the end of the year, early 2020.

1) Surgeon didn't say not to so I was able to. However, it transpired that low bar isn't going to be an option. My hip won't let me get low enough and it was uncomfortable even at 80kg. So high bar from now on so spent most of the year working on that as it's never been something I've done for more than a 4-week block or two. Didn't pull from the floor until towards the end of the year.

2) Aim is still to do a comp around March. Had an MRI on the hip and back with the surgeon at the end of Feb to see if it's the same or worse than this time last year which will determine id the next comp is my last

Nice numbers @ 91kg

Most of them are my 19 goals at similar bw 88kg/5'10

I have just stated after nearly 10 years out of the gym, back nearly a year, starting to plateau, gains slowing alot

Bench 120kg ( 19 goal is 130kg and 100kg to feel light :) )
    OHP 85kg ( 19 goal 80kg for reps, 90kg 1 rm)
    Squat 160kg ( 160kg reps, 180kg 1 rm)
    Deadlift 200kg - raw no straps ( 19 goal is 220kg)

Following 5/3/1 plan and following Bill Starr for OHP ( my fav lift)

Thats my 19 and stay healthy

Didnt do powerlifting comp but did nearly reach all my targets :)

135kg bench, 120kg x 5
    95kg OHP from floor, 85kg x 5
    175kg squat, 160kg x 5
    210kg dead raw, 225kg with straps ( still struggle with raw deadlifts )

20 target, to get to 95kg bw, 91kg now

140 bench
    100 OHP
    190 squat
    225 raw

135kg bench, 120kg x 5
    95kg OHP from floor, 85kg x 5
    175kg squat, 160kg x 5
    210kg dead raw, 225kg with straps ( still struggle with raw deadlifts )

Nice.

That's funny with the straps on deadlift...I have used straps on back-off sets and I find they put me off!

Nice.

That's funny with the straps on deadlift...I have used straps on back-off sets and I find they put me off!

Do you use mixed grip or conventional?

My brother does mixed grip and doesn't like them either, can't get used to them

I use conventional grip and find them great getting the weight off the ground and my grip isn't great either when I go heavy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement