Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 2 - The Assessment Centre

1113114115116117119»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Faugha

Oh and that’s my first ever AC and fast tracked so I’m happy enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

Faugha wrote: »
    I had 5 mins approx to hit the competencies - bear in mind my personality is not coming across in whstvyou read. All I can say is that after almost £500 with of coaching and help from officers etc it got me a fast track. So each to their own and what works for you may not work for others.

My point is don't forget to be yourself. They are looking at YOU. If you be yourself but apply all the competencies and behaviours then you will be fine.
    If you be yourself the other stuff like ILEAPS/T will just flow naturally.

500 quid for this return of all goes well was money well spent.

I am a supporter of coaching, but a lot of the AC stuff is down to practice.

What you do well is what you do often.

That AC I got to I went in blind with no coaching, paid the price.

I had 5 mins approx to hit the competencies - bear in mind my personality is not coming across in whstvyou read. All I can say is that after almost £500 with of coaching and help from officers etc it got me a fast track. So each to their own and what works for you may not work for others.

My point is don't forget to be yourself. They are looking at YOU. If you be yourself but apply all the competencies and behaviours then you will be fine.
    If you be yourself the other stuff like ILEAPS/T will just flow naturally.

500 quid for this return of all goes well was money well spent.

Point notes and I agree with be yourself but il be honest, it was a role play and I played the game. The actor said very very little as I did my bit and then said “so what would you like to talk to me about”

I’m not to bothered really, I’d have s stood on my head and sang the French national anthem if it meant a pass.

Yeah £500 was steep but I went on a few different classes as took no chances.

Maxi or whatever his new name is didnt use a coach. And got fast tracked, yes he did have the the experience of doing it before but I can guarantee he just applied the competencies and behaviours whilst being himself.

At the end of the day how you get to the castle doesn't matter as 23 weeks in GV plus 3 years in district is where you will be tested for real

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭jwhdkl5736

Maxi or whatever his new name is didnt use a coach. And got fast tracked, yes he did have the the experience of doing it before but I can guarantee he just applied the competencies and behaviours whilst being himself.

At the end of the day how you get to the castle doesn't matter as 23 weeks in GV plus 3 years in district is where you will be tested for real

Maxi is posting under the auspices of ML515 for various reasons. Someone worked out who my name was in real life and asked me at a bus stop....:eek:

And yeah, Banter is right. I think the whole coaching thing wasn't required at all to pass, said that before I got AC results. All the info you need is here. All I done, again as banter said was apply the competencies in a very obvious and literal way using the 'ILEAPS' framework discussed here.

Also, got my new PCA date. :)

If having a tutor gives you that confidence boost by all means crack on.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭jwhdkl5736

That's what I think it is, just a sense of being better prepared. I think it's placebo but there is 100% no pay walls to getting on in the recruitment process.

ML515 wrote: »

That's what I think it is, just a sense of being better prepared. I think it's placebo but there is 100% no pay walls to getting on in the recruitment process.

However once you have been to a tutor, make notes as once you get the basic concepts in your head you can just practice with a mate and in some cases just talking to people helps.

Also Empathy I think a lot of near miss fails are due to not showing it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

I get the feeling that if I have failed the AC it will be down to two things, poor performance in the last exercise (running out of time) and not approaching the last roleplay with an open mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Ponif

The best advice I got from a group tutoring session was to always keep in mind the core competencies, live and breathe them and you should be right as rain for the role plays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

Ponif wrote: »

The best advice I got from a group tutoring session was to always keep in mind the core competencies, live and breathe them and you should be right as rain for the role plays.

I attended a training session for my AC. Not because I wanted to learn more but because I wanted to practice the role plays on people I didn't know. Which is exactly what I got. And I do think it helped me.

But also at my PCA familiarisation and the actual PCA I seen quite a few faces from the AC training, so it obviously helped them individuals.

Ponif wrote: »

I remember the very same thing being said

The AC training was invaluable for me and a friend. We are private sector workers, we don’t ever have to think of competencies, and I am not an 18 yr old, it’s a long time since I left uni and competencies weren’t the big craze at the time when it came to interviews and applications. On a day to day basis I probably wouldn’t inherently think to say “he or she”, I would have assumed that “the builders” or the “bus driver” were men. If a man said his partner was assaulted I would have assumed it was a woman. But that’s just the world I am from as are many people, doesn’t make us bad, I suppose it just means we havnt been as enlightened, so for me the group tutoring simply got me into a way of thinking, identifying the things that would catch me out and learning the things to say. It broadened my mindset and that’s no bad thing.

The AC training was invaluable for me and a friend. We are private sector workers, we don’t ever have to think of competencies, and I am not an 18 yr old, it’s a long time since I left uni and competencies weren’t the big craze at the time when it came to interviews and applications. On a day to day basis I probably wouldn’t inherently think to say “he or she”, I would have assumed that “the builders” or the “bus driver” were men. If a man said his partner was assaulted I would have assumed it was a woman. But that’s just the world I am from as are many people, doesn’t make us bad, I suppose it just means we havnt been as enlightened, so for me the group tutoring simply got me into a way of thinking, identifying the things that would catch me out and learning the things to say. It broadened my mindset and that’s no bad thing.

Not to mention appropriate use of open and closed questions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭MD4PSNI

Evening all..

Thought there would be a bit of a buzz in here at the minute but maybe everyones keeping quiet 🙈

Completed AC, hard to know how it went. Second time doing it (completed in 2013 campaign) and felt this time around was a little more didficult.

Hope everyone in todays groups done well ðŸ‘ðŸ¼

MD4PSNI wrote: »
    Evening all..

Thought there would be a bit of a buzz in here at the minute but maybe everyones keeping quiet 🙈

Completed AC, hard to know how it went. Second time doing it (completed in 2013 campaign) and felt this time around was a little more didficult.

Hope everyone in todays groups done well ðŸ‘ðŸ¼

Apologies - bit of an emojie junkie here lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Army654

Had mine very recently there, believe I will be back next year without a doubt lol

Army654 wrote: »
    Had mine very recently there, believe I will be back next year without a doubt lol

I felt the same in the 2013 one, came out with an A!! Couldnt believe it. Its so hard to judge tho!

Hope it goes well

Advertisement