Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think nurses will get their payrise?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

crusier wrote: »
    I begrudge others a pay rise even if they deserve it because I hate what I'm doing and I don't want anyone else to be rewarded for professional work in a life saving profession. Most of them are in a career they sought and that should be enough for them. Most are Women also so they are not equal. I'm Irish and I'm bitter, but I demand perfect treatment when I go to hospital, I am pathetic

They are well rewarded.

They are in line for further agreed increases.

Of course we do. Most of the social and industrial unrest taking place not only in Ireland, but across the world in recent years has been the result of wages not keeping place with price inflation in the decades since the post-war consensus was substituted for neoliberalism. The cost of living has increased faster than average wages, resulting in a declining quality of life. Maximising quality of life across the board for this and future generations should be the first priority of a democratic government, therefore policy-wise, either wages need to increase or the cost of living needs to decrease.

Or should people just accept declining quality of life over time?

Total horseh1t in Ireland.
    20/30 years ago many lived in cold houses with an open fire as the only heat option.
    The quality of life in Ireland today is exponentially better.
    And 20% of housing built now gets given to folk for SFA effectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I begrudge others a pay rise even if they deserve it because I hate what I'm doing and I don't want anyone else to be rewarded for professional work in a life saving profession. Most of them are in a career they sought and that should be enough for them. Most are Women also so they are not equal. I'm Irish and I'm bitter, but I demand perfect treatment when I go to hospital, I am pathetic

At least you are honest unlike some of the respondents here.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I'm sitting in James hospital waiting on a clinic. There are at least 2 nurses dealing with patient files. Multiply that by all the clinics this afternoon.

Why aren't clerical staff doing it? And they say the wards are understaffed!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

You and every Fine Gael voter.
    I see it as being tough but we should endevour to help those worse off not penalise them for the bad management of government.
    We seem to have a habit of what you say above. Meanwhile the lads at the top are doing great. When the next crash comes it'll be bail outs and sweet deals for the lads austerity for the rest of us and looking at the poor, sick and elderly as the problem, as is the Fine Gael distraction.

• Advertisement

Aside from bitter posts its the sheer illogicality of some of it, the poster will want top class care for their child, parents, family members top class midwifery for themselves or their partner but still say F..them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭facehugger99

No doubt some posters believe there is no maximum wage to which a nurse is not entitled.

Perhaps we could pay them each a salary of €1 billion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

No doubt some posters believe there is no maximum wage to which a nurse is not entitled.

Perhaps we could pay them each a salary of €1 billion?

It's my understanding that they've a right to ask for whatever they like and nobody has the right to stop them. It is however the governments job to negotiate on behalf of the tax payer. The idea that Nurses and Midwives asking for a pay rise are the enemy is a Fine Gael spun one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

salonfire wrote: »
    They are well rewarded.

They are in line for further agreed increases.

According to you ! Well done .. the nurses seem to believe they aren’t. Every news channel and paper had reports from people coming/going from a&e etc and everyone of them said they supported the nurses .. Leo and pascal are going to have to come up with something I think.
    After a few more days of strikes and the number rescheduled of ops will be near 150k

• Registered Users Posts: 16,074 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

mariaalice wrote: »
    Aside from bitter posts its the sheer illogicality of some of it, the poster will want top class care for their child, parents, family members top class midwifery for themselves or their partner but still say F..them.
    Exactly . And to retain qualified experienced nurses we need to look at why they are leaving in droves . The sheer workload and stress is driving experienced nurses into early retirement and private clinics . Without the senior staff the system will collapse
    Everyone wants the very best care for themselves and their families and so they need to look at how best to achieve that care .
    I personally took early retirement missing out on a better pension because of the stress on my mind and body . The ward lost a senior nurse and this is repeated over and over and over .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭omega man

Many support them because of emotion and not necessarily logic.
    How any increase is funded and how to avoid further public service counter demands must be accepted as key obstacles.
    The ‘pay nurses whatever they want’ mantra is cheap populist talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭1641

I suppose you could classify some of the posts as bitter - because of the poster's apparent surprise that everyone is not supportive of pouring even more money into the health service.:P

As regards expecting top class health care, that is a very reasonable expectation given the amount given to the HSE. Unfortunately we don't get it.

" Ireland spends €4,706 per head of population on healthcare, one-third more than the average across 35 member countries of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). The State’s spend last year was the seventh highest per person in the OECD" . On top of that spend via taxation, very many people pay more in order to have private health insurance - because they cannot rely on the public system to deliver, despite pouring money into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Exactly . And to retain qualified experienced nurses we need to look at why they are leaving in droves . The sheer workload and stress is driving experienced nurses into early retirement and private clinics . Without the senior staff the system will collapse
    Everyone wants the very best care for themselves and their families and so they need to look at how best to achieve that care .
    I personally took early retirement missing out on a better pension because of the stress on my mind and body . The ward lost a senior nurse and this is repeated over and over and over .
    We keep hearing these anecdotes, and yet if the experienced staff are fleeing and the young staff are underpaid, why is the average wage still so high?

Truth is, I hear anecdotes just like these from friends and family in every industry. They're meaningless.

mikhail wrote: »
    We keep hearing these anecdotes, and yet if the experienced staff are fleeing and the young staff are underpaid, why is the average wage still so high?

Truth is, I hear anecdotes just like these from friends and family in every industry. They're meaningless.

Its immaterial to me if you think my experience is anecdotal . I know my life and my reasons for how I found courage to resign . I resigned at 55 and the best thing for me that I did

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

I'm not making a mockery of their skills or intelligence but its hardly medicine.

General nursing doesn't need to be a degree level qualification. I'll stick by that.

No need to be nasty.
    we could relegate nurses to wiping bums and handing out meds but that would be a very poor generalisation of their job.
    They deserve every penny they want.

Its immaterial to me if you think my experience is anecdotal . I know my life and my reasons for how I found courage to resign . I resigned at 55 and the best thing for me that I did

Sure we'd (most working folk) all love early retirement at 55, it doesn't take courage it takes the financial means to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭trellheim

General nursing doesn't need to be a degree level qualification. I'll stick by that.
    Project 2000 and all the other stuff switching nursing from voca to degree is miles past. Whether you disagree or not is irrelevant, you're entitled to your opinion though.

Nursing is a degree profession and thats not going to change; they deserve the pay hike.

Augeo wrote: »
    Sure we'd (most working folk) all love early retirement at 55, it doesn't take courage it takes the financial means to do so.
    I said resigned .
    Actually it took courage as I took another job .And wait till I was 60 to access my very small pension .

trellheim wrote: »

Nursing is a degree profession and thats not going to change; they deserve the pay hike.

We forever hear what they deserve. After what amount do they not deserve?

I said resigned .
    Actually it took courage as I took another job .And wait till I was 60 to access my very small pension .

You also said ............
    I personally took early retirement............... .

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »
    You also said ............

Its called early retirement as you leave before your pension is complete . I missed out on 5 years contributions also and had to work elsewhere to survive . Sorry for misunderstanding .

hawkelady wrote: »
    According to you ! Well done .. the nurses seem to believe they aren’t. Every news channel and paper had reports from people coming/going from a&e etc and everyone of them said they supported the nurses .. Leo and pascal are going to have to come up with something I think.
    After a few more days of strikes and the number rescheduled of ops will be near 150k

Not me but the OECD. Note, this graph accounts for the cost of living in each of comparative countries.

https://img2.thejournal.ie/inline/4463819/original/?width=630&version=4463819

Its immaterial to me if you think your anecdote is important. See? I can be dismissive too.

Same old, same old entitled whinging with you nurses. You're never satisfied. The only thing I see here is a militant union I've long since lost any time for looking for a 12% across the board pay rise a couple of months before an event that casts massive uncertainty over the state finances for years to come. I see a union that screwed new entries to protect their members' pay during a national crisis, and are now shocked, shocked, that entry level jobs are harder to fill. I hope they dock the lot of them their increments under the public pay agreement they're reneging on.

salonfire wrote: »
    Not me but the OECD. Note, this graph accounts for the cost of living in each of comparative countries.

https://img2-thejournal-ie.cdn.ampproject.org/ii/w680/s/img2.thejournal.ie/inline/4463819/original/?width=580&version=4463819

That does not take in to account working conditions though.

That does not take in to account working conditions though.

Nobody is arguing against improving the work conditions.

Pay rises does not equate to better work conditions.

Its immaterial to me if you think your anecdote is important. See? I can be dismissive too.

Same old, same old entitled whinging with you nurses. You're never satisfied. The only thing I see here is a militant union I've long since lost any time for looking for a 12% across the board pay rise a couple of months before an event that casts massive uncertainty over the state finances for years to come. I see a union that screwed new entries to protect their members' pay during a national crisis, and are now shocked, shocked, that entry level jobs are harder to fill. I hope they dock the lot of them their increments under the public pay agreement they're reneging on.
    To be fair, nurses probably make a lot more difference in the world than most other professions. Also, your stance comes across quite spiteful. Whilst I don't agree with the 12% increase, I don't think the solution is to further penalise the nurses.

Whilst I don't agree with the 12% increase, I don't think the solution is to further penalise the nurses.
    Well, I hope the sick and dying of the country appreciate the difference the nurses are not making to agitate for something we agree they don't deserve.

Well, I hope the sick and dying of the country appreciate the difference the nurses are not making to agitate for something we agree they don't deserve.

Mate. What are you talking about? Do you think there were no nurses in any hospitals yesterday? Dying? Get real son and lay off the hyperbole.

Christ you are like that person who says why do pharmacists get paid so much? All they do is put labels on bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,229 ✭✭✭✭noodler

"they deserve it" is not an argument.

Hearing it way too often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,060 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Mate. What are you talking about? Do you think there were no nurses in any hospitals yesterday? Dying? Get real son and lay off the hyperbole.

Christ you are like that person who says why do pharmacists get paid so much? All they do is put labels on bottles.

Unfortunately all the sick and dying can't get into the hospitals, they're still on the 500000 patient waiting list

Advertisement