Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oranmore train station car parking

• 21-01-2019 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,
    Just wondering can anyone advise on how busy Oranmore train station gets in the morning with regard to parking etc. I will be commuting from Ennis to work in Galway city centre during the week and was hoping to park in Oranmore train station and get train into city centre.

So main questions are
    1.What time does carpark usually fill up,are there many spaces?
    2. Does anyone do this currently and can advise whether this is feasible(i.e) are trains usually on time etc?
    3.Closing time and daily parking charge?

Many thanks for any advice

Comments

A colleague gets the train from Ennis to Galway daily, but has a stupidly long commute time due to the time table.

I know Oranmore station doesn't charge for parking at the moment but that is under review so who knows if it will continue

• Registered Users Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

The OH gets the 8:30 train she always gets a parking spot.

The trains are on time and it's only 7 mins. to Galway.

No charge for parking, don't know if/when it closes.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭what_traffic

DaCor wrote: »
    I know Oranmore station doesn't charge for parking at the moment but that is under review so who knows if it will continue

Yup covered here
    https://connachttribune.ie/concerns-paid-parking-on-the-cards-for-oranmore-train-station-users/
    A sure sign that Oranmore station is heavily used.
    Pity its so far away from the village itself, area around it will be developed in time though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Yup covered here
    https://connachttribune.ie/concerns-paid-parking-on-the-cards-for-oranmore-train-station-users/
    Pity its so far away from the village itself, area around it will be developed in time though.

Only with more and more houses estates if the current trend out there continues. Planners need to have a bit of forward thinking

Yup covered here

Only with more and more houses estates if the current trend out there continues. Planners need to have a bit of forward thinking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,650 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What else do you think should be going in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

Used to do a daily pickup and dropoff there and have never seen the car park completely full. So unless it changed since last May or thereabouts you should be grand on space.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

I was there Thursday last week. I arrived around 9:45 and the place was jammed. All the actual car parking spaces were full so cars were parked in the bus parking and along the sides and in the bike lane out towards the road. But I have no idea at what time it fills up. I got the 18:10 train back, and a lot of the cars were gone at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Passed the train station in Oranmore yesterday morning at around 10am and the cars were nearly out to the main road, it was packed I never seen that before

reap-a-rat wrote: »
    I was there Thursday last week. I arrived around 9:45 and the place was jammed. All the actual car parking spaces were full so cars were parked in the bus parking and along the sides and in the bike lane out towards the road. But I have no idea at what time it fills up. I got the 18:10 train back, and a lot of the cars were gone at that stage.

If this kind of behavior is happening and parking is occurring in un-designated spaces, then they will definitely bring in Car Parking Charges. Guaranteed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

If this kind of behavior is happening and parking is occurring in un-designated spaces, then they will definitely bring in Car Parking Charges. Guaranteed

I'd say if they bring in charges, the car park will empty out and people will park on the road instead. Or else won't use the train and will instead contribute more to the traffic chaos in town.

reap-a-rat wrote: »
    I'd say if they bring in charges, the car park will empty out and people will park on the road instead. Or else won't use the train and will instead contribute more to the traffic chaos in town.

Perhaps, but doubt it. Irish Rail have form at other locations when demand like this occurs. Still have to pay for car parking if you drive at a snails pace into Galway City Centre. Its all about time saving. May shift the problem onto Galway County Council if parking occurs on the Coast Road, but they will probably action on this as well + they currently manage the existing car park(http://www.irishrail.ie/travel-information/oranmore. Might put focus on providing shuttle service from Oranmore to the Station itself to coincide with the train timetable?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭IBrows89

I think after 9am it gets very full and people park all over the place.

As for opening times it's open 24/7 as far as I know, I've never seen and gate or fence blocking the entrance and pass it nearly every day.

May shift the problem onto Galway County Council if parking occurs on the Coast Road, but they will probably action on this as well + they currently manage the existing car park(http://www.irishrail.ie/travel-information/oranmore.

Car Park Details
    Owned & Operated = Galway County Council
    Spaces = 140
    Operating Hours: 24hrs
    Disabled Parking: Yes
    Rates: Free (at present)

Electric Car Charging Service: Yes

Taxi (services and rank)
    Search Eircom PhonebookOnline

Bus Services
    www.dublinbus.ie and www.buseireann.ie

Bikes
    Yes, bike racks available

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ash77

Thanks for all the replies,has put my mind at ease a bit now regarding the commute and parking. Plan to be there before 8 so parking hopefully shouldn't be an issue based on info.

I hope they don't introduce carpark charges in future as it will just be counter productive leading to more cars on the road.

But this is Ireland so who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭bobbyss

A sure sign that Oranmore station is heavily used. Pity its so far away from the village itself, area around it will be developed in time though.

Yes that's a real pity just like Ballinasloe. For people who don't drive and everyone else in fact it would have been great to be able just to pop off a train and you are there. It woukd hzve increased business for sure. I am sure there are reasons why they didn't do that when constructing.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭BIGT4464

Would you not get a bike? A fold-able e bike maybe, Oranmore is practically in the city already. You could park in the village.

BIGT4464 wrote: »
    Would you not get a bike? A fold-able e bike maybe, Oranmore is practically in the city already. You could park in the village.

Where exactly in the village do you recommend for all day parking???

Where exactly in the village do you recommend for all day parking???

Don't know Oranmore very well but I think there's some kind of all weather pitch near the library. Is that public parking near there? There's a small housing estate in the middle of the village that can be accessed I think from the Village or that by pass on the other side. You could park there all day. Unless it's like a Foster Court type set up;which I don't really understand as it's publically accessible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

There's plenty of places to park in the village for free. On the street, in the parking in front and behind the astro pitch. The community centre. Any of the industral estates or housing estates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,779 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Parking all day in an estate where you don't live or centre where you don't buy anything or work in is a pretty douchebag thing to do. Oranmore centre is pretty hard enough to navigate without every inch of footpath mounted with cars.

flazio wrote:
    Parking all day in an estate where you don't live or centre where you don't buy anything or work in is a pretty douchebag thing to do. Oranmore centre is pretty hard enough to navigate without every inch of footpath mounted with cars.

Footpath mounted parking is illegal I think. If you are allowed to park in an estate and there are simply no other places to park what are you supposed to do?

This thread has gone a bit off topic re parking in Oranmore village- why the current Oranmore Train Station Car Park is overflowing with cars (it has 140 spaces) should be the starting point. Where are the people coming from that park cars there should be the first question?

This thread has gone a bit off topic re parking in Oranmore village- why the current Oranmore Train Station Car Park is overflowing with cars (it has 140 spaces) should be the starting point. Where are the people coming from that park cars there should be the first question?

I know one who comes from outside Gort and catches the train for the one stop into town. Another from a similar area is thinking about parking there and cycling to Parkmore (not doing it yet, still considering it).

This carpark is effectively the city's ONLY operational park and ride location - and is functioning well at this role despite the minimal offering on the Ride side!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭BIGT4464

A bit alright. This guy should be able to get the train from Ennis, if this was a joined up place, but it is not. Council's should do more for park&rides, but they dont bother.

https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/call-for-tiered-parking-at-oranmore-train-station/

"
    A councillor is calling for tiered car parking at Oranmore Train Station due to the lack of spaces at the site.
    "

https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/call-for-tiered-parking-at-oranmore-train-station/

"
    A councillor is calling for tiered car parking at Oranmore Train Station due to the lack of spaces at the site.
    "

This problem was foreseen before the station was built but they decided to do nothing about it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,849 ✭✭✭thesandeman

This problem was foreseen before the station was built but they decided to do nothing about it

Who's they?

Who's they?

Planners, consultants etcs

• Advertisement

At that point it was a risk, not a problem. If they'd built a multi-story carpark, there would have been a risk of it being vastly underused, and a waste of money.

Advertisement