Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Seat Mega Thread! Please post all your car seat questions here!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Earleybird wrote: »
    Hi guys, trying to decide on a new seat for our 14 month old. I like the Joie 360 but have concerns from a safety perspective as I don't believe it's gone through the i size regulations. The alternative (we're looking for a swivel chair) is the maxi cosi assixfix plus. Any advice? Thanks

If you’re looking to rear face the baby, I’d avoid the maxi cosi, it’s only rf to 87cm, not much longer than an infant carrier.
    The britax dualfix, recaro zero and cybex sirona are all swivel seats that rear face to 18kg.
    Have you plotted your child’s height and weight on a growth chart to get an idea of when they will hit the 18kg? It’s worth doing, especially if they’re higher up the charts. My middle guy is just gone three, hasn’t been weighed in a while, but I know when he was weighed in the summer time, he was 16.5kg, so he wouldn’t have gotten very long out of an 18kg seat at all.

Nuna rebl plus is another one

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Earleybird

jlm29 wrote: »
    If you’re looking to rear face the baby, I’d avoid the maxi cosi, it’s only rf to 87cm, not much longer than an infant carrier.
    The britax dualfix, recaro zero and cybex sirona are all swivel seats that rear face to 18kg.
    Have you plotted your child’s height and weight on a growth chart to get an idea of when they will hit the 18kg? It’s worth doing, especially if they’re higher up the charts. My middle guy is just gone three, hasn’t been weighed in a while, but I know when he was weighed in the summer time, he was 16.5kg, so he wouldn’t have gotten very long out of an 18kg seat at all.

Thanks for the reply, we reckon she'll probably reach 18k before she's 4 but happy to replace when required if a bit earlier. Many thanks for recommendations, I'll check them out on which.co.uk, I understand this is a fairly useful site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

Hi,
    Does anyone know if a seat with the following features exist?
    1. Rear facing
    2. ISOFIX
    3. No support leg, but some other means of support, for example a top tether
    4. Group 0+, 1 (up to 18KG)

The closest I could find is the Maxi-Cosi AxissFix Plus i-Size , but this is only rear facing until approx 2 years old.

I suspect that this is the weight limit for isofix without support leg, but maybe someone has some suggestions?

Thanks

Hi,
    1. Rear facing
    2. ISOFIX

The closest I could find is the Maxi-Cosi AxissFix Plus i-Size , but this is only rear facing until approx 2 years old.

I suspect that this is the weight limit for isofix without support leg, but maybe someone has some suggestions?

Thanks

I think they all have support legs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Hi,
    1. Rear facing
    2. ISOFIX

Thanks

If you are on fb try joining this group. They are so helpful when it comes to rear facing car seats. They really know their stuff!!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/456353881062172/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,275 ✭✭✭Ardent

MaxiCosi Rodi XP ISOFIX now 43% off at £75:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073XK2KCN/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_PKfqCbHXWWMX4

Does anyone have this seat? Any good?

Hi.
    I'm looking for the narrowest high back Booster I can find. One that uses a seat belt I know I could put my 4 year old on a Booster but if I could find a high back that fits I'll go with it.
    I'm thinking one with no side arms 46 cm is the smallest I have found so far. 4 year old 19kg

Also the narrowest seat secured with a seat belt and has a 5 point harness. If I could make this more narrow it would give extra room. 50 cm is the one I have. 2 year old 15kg

Have no budget yet as such because they can be passed along. See what's available first

Hi.
    I'm looking for the narrowest high back Booster I can find. One that uses a seat belt I know I could put my 4 year old on a Booster but if I could find a high back that fits I'll go with it.
    I'm thinking one with no side arms 46 cm is the smallest I have found so far. 4 year old 19kg

Also the narrowest seat secured with a seat belt and has a 5 point harness. If I could make this more narrow it would give extra room. 50 cm is the one I have. 2 year old 15kg

Have no budget yet as such because they can be passed along. See what's available first

The britax adventurer is definitely one of the narrowest hbb, if not the narrowest.
    Are you looking for a forward or rearward facing seat with a harness? The diono radian 5 is quite narrow, and can go in either direction

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

Hi.

Best I could come up with was the mifold
    23cm wide
    Child has to be over four tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭sillysocks

We have the Britax Advansafix III. It’s extended harness to 36kg. Are you trying to fit three seats into a car? If you are getting an extended harness can be worth it because they’re buckled at the front rather than trying to squeeze your hand in between the seats to do a seatbelt up.
    I think it’s around 47cm, the good thing is the bottom is a bit raised and under the seat is narrower so it can slot in beside a booster seat easier.
    You have to be careful though, not all versions of Advansafix have the extended harness so if you need that be careful it’s the version that does.

https://www.thebabyroom.co.uk/eu/Britax-Romer-ADVANSAFIX-III-SICT-Car-Seat?fv=251&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2qHdt4GJ4AIVarXtCh000wt8EAQYCCABEgIFf_D_BwE

Thanks for all this help.so far. I'll look at these this evening.

sillysocks wrote: »
    We have the Britax Advansafix III. It’s extended harness to 36kg. Are you trying to fit three seats into a car? If you are getting an extended harness can be worth it because they’re buckled at the front rather than trying to squeeze your hand in between the seats to do a seatbelt up.
    I think it’s around 47cm, the good thing is the bottom is a bit raised and under the seat is narrower so it can slot in beside a booster seat easier.
    You have to be careful though, not all versions of Advansafix have the extended harness so if you need that be careful it’s the version that does.

https://www.thebabyroom.co.uk/eu/Britax-Romer-ADVANSAFIX-III-SICT-Car-Seat?fv=251&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2qHdt4GJ4AIVarXtCh000wt8EAQYCCABEgIFf_D_BwE

The newer advansafix isn’t harnessed to 36kg afaik, it’s seat belted beyond 18kg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Can anyone advise when it's safe to take the wedge cushion out of a maxi cosi pebble please?

lazygal wrote: »
    Can anyone advise when it's safe to take the wedge cushion out of a maxi cosi pebble please?

In the cabriofix it’s 11lb, keeping the head hugger. I wonder is it the same for the pebble!

jlm29 wrote: »

In the cabriofix it’s 11lb, keeping the head hugger. I wonder is it the same for the pebble!
    I would say it is, he's 15 lb so time for it to go judging on this?

I would say it is, he's 15 lb so time for it to go judging on this?

I’d say so, if he looks squashed I’d take it out!

Great thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

Folks - where is the best place to sell a rear-facing car seat and base?
    We have upgraded my little one to an Axkid Minikid.
    As a result, we have a nice Maxi Cosi 2-way Pearl i-Size car seat & Maxi Cosi 2 way fix base that need a new home.

Suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Folks - where is the best place to sell a rear-facing car seat and base?
    We have upgraded my little one to an Axkid Minikid.
    As a result, we have a nice Maxi Cosi 2-way Pearl i-Size car seat & Maxi Cosi 2 way fix base that need a new home.

Suggestions?

Try joining this group and selling it there.

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=ireland%20-rear%20facing%20car%20seats%20for%20toddlers%20and%20children&epa=SEARCH_BOX

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Purchased 2 Axkid moves for our Tuscon. After installing there is little to no room in the front. Anybody familiar with this? Im very disappointed as I've spent a lot of time researching before purchasing and knew the space would be a bit more limited in the front but not to this extent. We have twins so its behind both seats as well! Are all rear-facing car seats the same?

Purchased 2 Axkid moves for our Tuscon. After installing there is little to no room in the front. Anybody familiar with this? Im very disappointed as I've spent a lot of time researching before purchasing and knew the space would be a bit more limited in the front but not to this extent. We have twins so its behind both seats as well! Are all rear-facing car seats the same?

They’re not all the same, but a lot of them are! 18kg seats might take a bit less space from the front, but sometimes it just depends on the car. I had a minikid in a Ford Focus, and I could barely sit in front.
    Can you adjust the recline on the seats? Or install them with a bit less leg room?
    If there’s an rsa check it fits near you any time soon, those guys are great at the adjustments!

They’re not all the same, but a lot of them are! 18kg seats might take a bit less space from the front, but sometimes it just depends on the car. I had a minikid in a Ford Focus, and I could barely sit in front.
    Can you adjust the recline on the seats? Or install them with a bit less leg room?
    If there’s an rsa check it fits near you any time soon, those guys are great at the adjustments!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭chocfan

Hi all

We have a Pebble Plus and were planning on buying the 2way pearl as the next seat because it's the same base and I like the idea of extended rear facing

I just saw that Mothercare are doing a carseat sale and they have a seat called the Pearl Pro that I've never heard of. Does anybody know if this has replaced the 2 way Pearl? Can't seem to find info online

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Too late now but the britax max way is a very neat seat and passed the swedish plus test.
    Rear facing generally do take up a fair amount of space. Visability out side back seat windows can also be an issue.

For this reason I am biting the bullet and buying a 7 seater for my next car as you can move the middle row of seats back individually. I know this is of no help to you!!!!!

Does anyone have the cybex s fix HBB? if so how do you find it......it was recommended to me by incarsafety over the new besafe one (which I was planning on ordering!!!).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Millem wrote: »
    Does anyone have the cybex s fix HBB? if so how do you find it......it was recommended to me by incarsafety over the new besafe one (which I was planning on ordering!!!).

That’s interesting! I was going to buy the Besafe too in a month or two. Did they say why they recommend the Cybex? It’s a better price anyway!

That’s interesting! I was going to buy the Besafe too in a month or two. Did they say why they recommend the Cybex? It’s a better price anyway!

I know stop! It has thrown a spanner in the works for me!! I was all set to order 2 £450. You get a discount on 2 seats.

He prefers cybex and britax seats. He said cybex have a super testing centre ( Z fix £200 for one)is newer one but wider as it grows. S fix is slightly cheaper. Takes up slightly less space.
    He also recommended britax kidfix new one...can't think of name....it has a 3 in it. One is £220.
    S fix (£160 for one)will take up less space.

He really was not enthusiastic on the besafe one (£250 for one). Apparently Sides should only be taken off when seat is in middle spot with 2 seats or person either side.
    Chest pad and loop thing needs to be fitted correctly every time. Lots of pictures online it will show you correct and incorrect way.
    I told him he is doing himself out of money ;)!!!!

There was probably more info but can’t remember!!!!
    I really don’t mind about the cost whichever is the best.
    Would prefer it to take up less space.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Millem wrote: »
    I know stop! It has thrown a spanner in the works for me!! I was all set to order 2 £450. You get a discount on 2 seats.

He prefers cybex and britax seats. He said cybex have a super testing centre ( Z fix £200 for one)is newer one but wider as it grows. S fix is slightly cheaper. Takes up slightly less space.
    He also recommended britax kidfix new one...can't think of name....it has a 3 in it. One is £220.
    S fix (£160 for one)will take up less space.

He really was not enthusiastic on the besafe one (£250 for one). Apparently Sides should only be taken off when seat is in middle spot with 2 seats or person either side.
    Chest pad and loop thing needs to be fitted correctly every time. Lots of pictures online it will show you correct and incorrect way.
    I told him he is doing himself out of money ;)!!!!

There was probably more info but can’t remember!!!!
    I really don’t mind about the cost whichever is the best.
    Would prefer it to take up less space.

Thanks for sharing!

I know the guy who does the Check it Fits campaign is a big BeSafe fan and recommended them to us a few times before but that was for the infant carrier and next seat so I just presumed BeSafe for HBB too. Definitely something to think about :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

A questions for ye all.. Looks like no. 2 is on the way and thinking about car seats already. Just ponder we have the Joie stages, and was thinking maybe we could use this as the little ones (the new ones) seat and get an older one for the little Miss who will be close on 2 when the time comes.

Does anyone have any recommendations, would prefer to stay away from the isofix ones.. Was looking for something that would suit older that maybe turns into a booster seat, but with some comfort to it..

Advertisement