Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WRU Dragons vs IRFU Munster, Sat 26th January 3pm, ES1

Options
  • 25-01-2019 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭

Dragons:
    Jordan Williams, Jared Rosser, Tyler Morgan, Jack Dixon, Will Talbot-Davies, Josh Lewis, Rhodri Williams;
    Brok Harris, Richard Hibbard (c), Lloyd Fairbrother, Joe Davies, Matthew Screech, Harrison Keddie, Nic Cudd, Ollie Griffiths

Replacements: Rhys Lawrence, Rhys Fawcett, Dan Suter, Lewis Evans, Taine Basham, Rhodri Davies, Jason Tovey, Zane Kirchner

Munster:
    Mike Haley; Darren Sweetnam, Dan Goggin, Tyler Bleyendaal (C), Ronan O’Mahony; Bill Johnston, Alby Mathewson;
    Jeremy Loughman, Rhys Marshall, Stephen Archer; Jean Kleyn, Billy Holland; Fineen Wycherley, Conor Oliver, Arno Botha.

Replacements: Kevin O’Byrne, Liam O’Connor, Ciaran Parker, Darren O’Shea, Gavin Coombes, Neil Cronin, Calvin Nash, Jaco Taute.

While they are shed of many of their starters, Munster will view this trip to Wales as a winnable game as they try to remain top of Conference A. Glasgow will be favourites to win tonight at home to Ospreys so Munster will most likely need to leave Newport with a win to remain ahead in the race for a bye to the semi-finals.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

https://munsterrugby.ie/preview/team-named-munster-side-to-face-dragons/

ROM starting over Nash and Taute on the bench ahead of Arnold is a bit odd. On the other hand it's great to see Johnston starting at 10 and LOC is back on the bench after a long injury absence. Cloete is still presumably injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,714 ✭✭✭✭phog

https://munsterrugby.ie/preview/team-named-munster-side-to-face-dragons/

ROM starting over Nash and Taute on the bench ahead of Arnold is a bit odd. On the other hand it's great to see Johnston starting at 10 and LOC is back on the bench after a long injury absence. Cloete is still presumably injured.

Cloete was the extra backrower in the warm ups last week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Yeah I thought Nash and Daly had pushed ahead of him.
    Looking forward to seeing how Johnston manages the game, Tyler at 12 will take some of the pressure off him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Bleyendaal getting more starts at 12 than 10 this season, suggests his chances of getting a contract are reduced given we're reasonably well stocked there and would only have, at most, one away during RWC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I have to say fair play to Loughman. He's getting some seriously decent game time down there. I didn't rate him much at Leinster and wasn't sure how well he'd go down there but he's gotten himself Champions Cup minutes.

What are his chances at cementing himself as second choice down there?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

aloooof wrote: »
    Bleyendaal getting more starts at 12 than 10 this season, suggests his chances of getting a contract are reduced given we're reasonably well stocked there and would only have, at most, one away during RWC.

I can see him getting a short term deal. Even with only Carbery away that leaves only Johnston and JJH at 10 with possibly 8 games to play before the internationals return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭BoardAtWork

I have to say fair play to Loughman. He's getting some seriously decent game time down there. I didn't rate him much at Leinster and wasn't sure how well he'd go down there but he's gotten himself Champions Cup minutes.

What are his chances at cementing himself as second choice down there?

Very unlikely. He's definitely behind Kilcoyne and Cronin and hasn't shown much to challenge them for a spot in the squad. LOC is he can find his pre-injury form, should push ahead of him too.

I can see him getting a short term deal. Even with only Carbery away that leaves only Johnston and JJH at 10 with possibly 8 games to play before the internationals return.

Hanrahan is also out with a hip injury, which is a worry due to his problems there in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Defunkd

ROM is a surprise for me but he is a good finisher.
    TB is surely getting an extension...he's Captained the team nearly every time he starts. They must see something more in him.
    Solid team, i hope they click early on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

If anything I think him starting at 12 means he has an even greater chance of staying on.

Munster are very well stocked at 13, however Rory Scannell is the only real option at 12 if Bleyendaal goes. The way Munster are playing recently lends itsself to having a second playmaker in the 12 shirt. The majority of centres in Munster are not suited to that playstyle.

I actually believe that if Bleyendaal puts a few good games together then Scannell could begin to feel the pressure as I think 9. Murray, 10. Carbery, 12. Bleyendaal, 13. Farrell could be a very potent attacking midfield

• Registered Users Posts: 8,134 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Loughman has surprisingly done well at Munster. He seems to be making a good impression.
    Glad to see R.O.M. He may end up moving on this year though. He's a good player when healthy.
    Munster by 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭leakyboots

ROM would be a good signing for Connacht if he's presumably moving on, handy winger

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

I would have assumed he'd be left go, because of his injuries and the other Munster options all being Irish-qualified. But with Keatley now leaving, I'm not so sure.

Carbery is likely to be away (or rested) more, which would just leave JJ and Johnston. While I'm a fan of JJ's, I'm still not convinced he's a great 10; plus it'd leave us very short if there were just one injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Isn't he Irish-qualified too in a year? Don't think he'll get near the jersey realistically but an extension gives us that option. Not that it should be the reason for an extension - I'd be monitoring his form over the next 2 months and if he states a strong enough case he might get a contract.

I think people forget that amidst the constant injuries from the Glasgow game after Foley passed right up to before the Sarries semi final he was superb, one of our best players that season and we finally got to see why he was nicknamed The General. We got nullified in that game up front and he'd more neck injury woes then if I remember rightly that he's only now coming back from.

Maybe he's had too many chances for an extension but I wouldn't put it past him coming back to that level again if he can stay injury free. With a better pack in front of him too he might strut his stuff again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Definitely - he didn't play for ages after signing; so no one really knew much about him. When he got the first stretch of games, it was a definite case of "this guy's a bit handy!". Loved his try in the Glasgow game. Seemed to get a bit of a case of the kicking yips in more recent games (it's going around lately....)

If he could stay injury free I'd love to keep him on. Though if it comes down to numbers/budget, I think I'd be more keen to keep Alby, playing alongside the other out-half options. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

How come TB, Matthewson and Marshall are all in the 23? I thought under the Kolpak rule, only 2 of them would be allowed.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    How come TB, Matthewson and Marshall are all in the 23? I thought under the Kolpak rule, only 2 of them would be allowed.

TB has been IQ since the beginning of last season. Also does that rule apply in the Pro14?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

TB has been IQ since the beginning of last season. Also does that rule apply in the Pro14?

Yes it does. Currently Leinster's woe with JGP/Fardy/Lowe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I thought he was but another poster mentioned him being qualified in a year. Makes sense now.

• Advertisement

Yes it does. Currently Leinster's woe with JGP/Fardy/Lowe.

I've seen it being an issue in Europe, but I'd not heard anything about it being an issue in the Pro14. Suppose I hadn't been giving it that much notice.

leakyboots wrote: »
    Isn't he Irish-qualified too in a year? Don't think he'll get near the jersey realistically but an extension gives us that option. Not that it should be the reason for an extension - I'd be monitoring his form over the next 2 months and if he states a strong enough case he might get a contract.

I think people forget that amidst the constant injuries from the Glasgow game after Foley passed right up to before the Sarries semi final he was superb, one of our best players that season and we finally got to see why he was nicknamed The General. We got nullified in that game up front and he'd more neck injury woes then if I remember rightly that he's only now coming back from.

Maybe he's had too many chances for an extension but I wouldn't put it past him coming back to that level again if he can stay injury free. With a better pack in front of him too he might strut his stuff again.

If he's kept on and finds form, I don't think he'd have any issue establishing himself as 3rd choice Irish 10 behind Carberry. It is a big if though.

I'd imagine that Munster will try to keep him on if he proves his fitness before the end of the year. If he can cover 10/12 to a high standard, and Hanrahan covers 10/15, there should be plenty of gametime to go around.

I know that Hanrahan has signed on for another two years, but the re-emergence of his hip issues is a worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Conditions and pitch look awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

This feels more like a B&I cup game...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

Is that Jackman commentating? That must be a bit weird for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭sioda

This is shockingly bad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

What's the record for the number of kicks in a rugby game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

Well. This is pretty dire.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

This is the worst game I’ve ever seen at pro level. Conditions are appalling but fear god

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭sioda

Has to be said great hands when the ball is caught

Advertisement