Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blood Moon Monday Morning 21st January at 515am

• 18-01-2019 8:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,174 ✭✭✭

For all this is not to be missed as wont happen for 11 more years

Think theres a lunar eclipse to boot but dont quote me on this.

Weather : Clear and Frosty

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32 tartetatin

Thanks for this Pauldry. I’ll set my alarm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

'Super Blood Wolf Moon' 266 (W), 28 Alt.

14% larger, and 30% brighter than normal. Centered over the Americas (esp. 'DC and the East side), but also visable from far NW of Europe.

From the book of Billy Joel, or Revelations, or something:
    “And I beheld when he had opened the sixth seal, and, lo, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood;”

At 05:15, it going to be cold, very cold for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Reminds me of the July 2018 lunar eclipse. I saw that from Turkey by total chance. Of course though it clouded over as soon as I noticed the moon went red and we had a weak thunderstorm.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 button_smith

Hi all, i was wondering what conditions cause a 'blood' moon ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

Hi all, i was wondering what conditions cause a 'blood' moon ?

As far as I know it is a similar effect to when we see the moon or sun near the horizon. At these times the moon and sun appear redder, than when they are high in the sky. The light that reaches our eyes at these times (when sun/moon is close to horizon) has passed through a much thicker layer of the earth's atmosphere than when we see it high up in the sky.

During a total lunar eclipse, such as early tomorrow morning the moon is entirely in the earth's shadow (for roughly an hour or so). Some light can bend however around the edge of the earth and still reach the moon, and the light which does this is similar to the light we see when the moon / sun is close to horizon (and thus makes it appear reddish in colour).

During past total lunar eclipses I usually noticed that there are different shades to the red/orange during 'totality' (the one hour or so when the moon is full in the earth's shadow). A lighter orange will usually be at the top of the moon and deeper orange / red colour towards the bottom of the moon.

• Advertisement

So it's the frequency of the refracted light hitting the moon...cool, thanks jArgHA. I can't wait to tell the kids when i wake them at 5 ha.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

According to YR.no weather app it's going to be 100% cloud cover in Cork at that time. Guess there's no point in setting the alarm.

dory wrote: »
    According to YR.no weather app it's going to be 100% cloud cover in Cork at that time. Guess there's no point in setting the alarm.

Don't trust Yr.no, it is well worth seeing this and setting the alarm - if there is cloud so be it but at least you won't miss it if it does remain clear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,174 ✭✭✭pauldry

Cloudy in Sligo now.

Hope it clears off later. I see a clear slot before the more general cloud on sat24

So little frost so far this Winter. Grass is pure green. Trying to remember the last time the sky was clear for a prolonged period. I think it was early December.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

What time is good to set the alarms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,584 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

0430 to be outside by 0450 -- but totality lasts until after 0530 if you sleep in. Also cloud may be increasing to obscure the view later in the totality period. My reference book gives 0517h as the absolute central point of the totality. Look west-south-west and reasonably high up still. If you want to see the opening partial phases those will become apparent between 0345 and 0400h.

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    What time is good to set the alarms

If you want to catch some of the partial eclipse and some of the total eclipse either (a) at 4.20am to catch start of totality at 4.40, or else at 5.20am to catch end of totality which occurs at 5.40ish.. It's not going to be balmy out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Crystal clear here in Westmeath. Moon is bright white so have alarm set for around 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

dar_cool wrote: »
    Crystal clear here in Westmeath. Moon is bright white so have alarm set for around 5.

Here too in Sandyford D18. Really clear (and cold!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Fantastic view of it here in Western Canada.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Rougies

Still crystal clear skies here in Dublin, great view of the partial eclipse so far. Cloud approaching fast looking at satellite though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

I am up, having coffee and getting psyched to head outside----brrrrr :P

In the meantime, this is fun:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

So clear right now, I'm witnessing an eclipse at least..
    Phone cameras are sheeeet(just realised)and don't do what I'm seeing justice..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,584 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Can see it here although broken mid-level cloud obscures the details. Just went total.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

There is some thin high cloud, can see the moon, but have seen much clearer total lunar eclipses in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭Ardent

It's spooky to see the moon disappear like that. Had a reasonable view of the partial eclipse in Kildare but cloud cover obscured things - quite cloudy now and don't think I'll bother staying for totality to end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

Good view in Bray for the last hour, really enjoyable on this toasty morning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Only reason I didn't mind being on overnight and sky is completely obscured

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

I had a lovely moment in the Phoenix Park just now--myself and four deer watching :) It was Crystal clear for a time, I was heading to the Cross for a higher vantage and then cloud came. Plus my hands started to hurt from the cold, so homeagain.
    I saw a lot of cars near the Cross, so say a good few are there still.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭LushiousLips

Not very red yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,219 ✭✭✭pad199207

Totality cloudy more than totality here in Kildare. Raging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Completely obscured by high cloud in Dublin 24 since I got up at 4:50 :( so annoying because the east side of the sky is clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,958 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It was clear up until 3am, just the odd break in the clouds since then, so no proper view of the Eclipse:( Typical!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Now I remember why I never get up in middle of the night for things like this, always a waste of time :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Myself and the young fella got to see the eclipse here in kerry a short time ago. Thin veil of cloud but a nice dark red colour. Nice still night, can hear the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

managed too see it, but due too high cloud \ mist ,sadly couldn't make out the redness properly,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,219 ✭✭✭pad199207

Managed to catch a glimpse of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

It was on/off in Dun Laoghaire, very misty sort of high cloud but you could see the red during the earlier part of totality, and it cleared up nicely to see the moon re-emerge. As others notes, frustratingly you could see crystal clear skies to the East! Still very much worth watching.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Could only just about see where the moon is, through the cloud, in Dublin 16.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Clouds never got out of the way in D24. It was a lighter cloud by 6:20am so I could make out where the moon was behind them and I think I could see the shadow, like a bite out of the bottom of it, but not clear enough to see the red or any detail. Disappointing, as the forecasts I checked all said clear skies in the east of the country - instead there were clear skies TO the east, while the all-important southwest side was cloudy :(

I saw a full blood moon in Scotland in Sept 2015 - was amazing to watch, so hope anyone who could see it today enjoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Yes same all the cloud cover at 605. Saw a glimpse of the moon with the shadow.......but no red glow :( Nothing now full cloud cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,666 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Didn’t get a good glimpse of the eclipse due to cloud but the moon was very visible earlier in the night.

https://twitter.com/snowbiewx/status/1087248132080128001?s=21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Pangea wrote: »
    Now I remember why I never get up in middle of the night for things like this, always a waste of time :(

I know.
    This just in.
    Cloudy night in Ireland.

Is anyone really suprised.

Skies were clear all night in the South East up until the time of the actual eclipse when cloud cover spoiled everything :(
    Disappointing especially when reports said it was going to be visible from all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Their is a beautiful red sky over Dublin now is that is any consolation to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

I missed it. I didn't want to disturb everyone in the house but I thought I had a good view from a window.

I looked at first and a house was blocking my view. I waited a bit and a tree was in the way. Waited a few more minutes and another house blocked my view.

Giving up went back to bed hoping I would get at least the tail end of the eclipse. Nope clouded over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Disappointed, got up at silly o'clock, looked like a normal moon obscured by clouds. Promptly returned to bed. D16

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Woke at 0440 went out and lo and behold a crisp clear night, no clouds. I could clearly see the reddish tinge to the moon. Unusual as most astronomical events like these are hidden by clouds but this was spectacular.

it's east Offaly, it is minus 1.1 c, there is mid to high level cloud all over the sky,but seeing the mucky orange ball off into the east coming into obscure focus was....Brill' It was indeed well worth the cold and i hope i'm still around for the next one.

The clouds must have been very localised and intermittent, we were able to see a lot of the early part in Dun Laoghaire before the clouds rolled in but others in Dublin are saying they saw basically nothing at all. Got to see it during the red / totality phase which is the important thing! Only thing I'd have liked to have seen was the few minutes where it acutely transitions from its normal colour to red, and the reverse at the other end of the eclipse - as it happened, both of these parts were clouded. What that did mean was that we saw it in red, then it clouded over for 20 minutes or so, and then when the clouds rolled away it had gone back to white with a big chunk missing :D Would have been cool to get a video of that, but as most here will know getting decent night sky photos with a phone camera is a complete waste of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Went down to Dollymount at 4.15, fantastic clear view of the eclipse and a beautiful red moon until 5, then all disappeared in cloud. Didn't even get a decent photo as my camera set up didn't work.
    ****e phone pic. Could have been so much better!

20190121-043420.jpgpost image

Went down to Dollymount at 4.15, fantastic clear view of the eclipse and a beautiful red moon until 5, then all disappeared in cloud.

How long did the colour transition at either end of the totality period actually take? In Dun Laoghaire, cloud cover just happened to coincide with both ends of the totality, so we had white moon -> cloud cover -> red moon -> cloud cover -> white moon again. It was pretty much entirely obscured during the transitions. Was it an abrupt thing like with a solar eclipse, where it's like "sun disappearing, sun disappearing, *BOOM!* corona flares, *BOOM* sun reapparing" or was the colour change more subtle and spaced out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

It was clear to full eclipse. It went clear moon, gradual very obvious eclipse, at full eclipse the bottom third and left side were red. A man beside me got incredibly detailed close up photos with a 200mm lens. Then the clouds turned up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,421 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I woke at 5am and said I'd just give myself a minute more to rest in bed before getting up.

I woke at 6:45

• Advertisement
Advertisement