Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blood Moon Monday Morning 21st January at 515am

• 18-01-2019 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭

For all this is not to be missed as wont happen for 11 more years

Think theres a lunar eclipse to boot but dont quote me on this.

Weather : Clear and Frosty

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 tartetatin

Thanks for this Pauldry. I’ll set my alarm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

'Super Blood Wolf Moon' 266 (W), 28 Alt.

14% larger, and 30% brighter than normal. Centered over the Americas (esp. 'DC and the East side), but also visable from far NW of Europe.

From the book of Billy Joel, or Revelations, or something:
    “And I beheld when he had opened the sixth seal, and, lo, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood;”

At 05:15, it going to be cold, very cold for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Reminds me of the July 2018 lunar eclipse. I saw that from Turkey by total chance. Of course though it clouded over as soon as I noticed the moon went red and we had a weak thunderstorm.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 button_smith

Hi all, i was wondering what conditions cause a 'blood' moon ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

Hi all, i was wondering what conditions cause a 'blood' moon ?

As far as I know it is a similar effect to when we see the moon or sun near the horizon. At these times the moon and sun appear redder, than when they are high in the sky. The light that reaches our eyes at these times (when sun/moon is close to horizon) has passed through a much thicker layer of the earth's atmosphere than when we see it high up in the sky.

During a total lunar eclipse, such as early tomorrow morning the moon is entirely in the earth's shadow (for roughly an hour or so). Some light can bend however around the edge of the earth and still reach the moon, and the light which does this is similar to the light we see when the moon / sun is close to horizon (and thus makes it appear reddish in colour).

During past total lunar eclipses I usually noticed that there are different shades to the red/orange during 'totality' (the one hour or so when the moon is full in the earth's shadow). A lighter orange will usually be at the top of the moon and deeper orange / red colour towards the bottom of the moon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 button_smith

So it's the frequency of the refracted light hitting the moon...cool, thanks jArgHA. I can't wait to tell the kids when i wake them at 5 ha.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

According to YR.no weather app it's going to be 100% cloud cover in Cork at that time. Guess there's no point in setting the alarm.

dory wrote: »
    According to YR.no weather app it's going to be 100% cloud cover in Cork at that time. Guess there's no point in setting the alarm.

Don't trust Yr.no, it is well worth seeing this and setting the alarm - if there is cloud so be it but at least you won't miss it if it does remain clear

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭pauldry

Cloudy in Sligo now.

Hope it clears off later. I see a clear slot before the more general cloud on sat24

So little frost so far this Winter. Grass is pure green. Trying to remember the last time the sky was clear for a prolonged period. I think it was early December.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

What time is good to set the alarms

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

0430 to be outside by 0450 -- but totality lasts until after 0530 if you sleep in. Also cloud may be increasing to obscure the view later in the totality period. My reference book gives 0517h as the absolute central point of the totality. Look west-south-west and reasonably high up still. If you want to see the opening partial phases those will become apparent between 0345 and 0400h.

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    What time is good to set the alarms

If you want to catch some of the partial eclipse and some of the total eclipse either (a) at 4.20am to catch start of totality at 4.40, or else at 5.20am to catch end of totality which occurs at 5.40ish.. It's not going to be balmy out there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Crystal clear here in Westmeath. Moon is bright white so have alarm set for around 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

dar_cool wrote: »
    Crystal clear here in Westmeath. Moon is bright white so have alarm set for around 5.

Here too in Sandyford D18. Really clear (and cold!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Fantastic view of it here in Western Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Rougies

Still crystal clear skies here in Dublin, great view of the partial eclipse so far. Cloud approaching fast looking at satellite though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

I am up, having coffee and getting psyched to head outside----brrrrr :P

In the meantime, this is fun:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

So clear right now, I'm witnessing an eclipse at least..
    Phone cameras are sheeeet(just realised)and don't do what I'm seeing justice..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Can see it here although broken mid-level cloud obscures the details. Just went total.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

There is some thin high cloud, can see the moon, but have seen much clearer total lunar eclipses in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,275 ✭✭✭Ardent

It's spooky to see the moon disappear like that. Had a reasonable view of the partial eclipse in Kildare but cloud cover obscured things - quite cloudy now and don't think I'll bother staying for totality to end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

Good view in Bray for the last hour, really enjoyable on this toasty morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Only reason I didn't mind being on overnight and sky is completely obscured

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

I had a lovely moment in the Phoenix Park just now--myself and four deer watching :) It was Crystal clear for a time, I was heading to the Cross for a higher vantage and then cloud came. Plus my hands started to hurt from the cold, so homeagain.
    I saw a lot of cars near the Cross, so say a good few are there still.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭LushiousLips

Not very red yet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭pad199207

Totality cloudy more than totality here in Kildare. Raging.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Completely obscured by high cloud in Dublin 24 since I got up at 4:50 :( so annoying because the east side of the sky is clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,618 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It was clear up until 3am, just the odd break in the clouds since then, so no proper view of the Eclipse:( Typical!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Now I remember why I never get up in middle of the night for things like this, always a waste of time :(

Advertisement