Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Wow, this makes me smile.

It took only 2 years of constant complaining to the government and EU and the thread of the EU commission to fine Transport for Ireland significant money for them to get to this point.

But I'm happy to see that they now have this under controll.

All fairs dues to you for this. I noticed you posting on the topic over the last few years in a general sense but I must confess I didn’t see the break out thread you did - looks like you fought the good fight, and won for all of us!

Some shilling if anyone lands here and hasn't signed up yet - if you want your first free card with Revolut hit me up with PM (hopefully I'm within forum rules?)

For clarity - PM me before downloading the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Odd one today, and possible due to the amount I topped up with.

Normally when I top up using a Permanent TSB card I have to verify they top up. However today I just topped up by a small amount, about €12, and it just went directly onto my Revolut without any additional authorisation. Is this normal?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Hurrache wrote: »
    Odd one today, any possible due to the amount I topped up with.

Normally when I top up using a Permanent TSB card I have to verify they top up. However today I just topped up by a small amount, about €12, and it just went directly onto my Revolut without any additional authorisation. Is this normal?

Sometimes I have to verify my BOI card, sometimes not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Cheers. I'm thinking it maybe was treated as a contactless transaction due to the amount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,760 ✭✭✭DopeTech

I never have to verify topup. With AIB.

Hurrache wrote: »
    Odd one today, and possible due to the amount I topped up with.

After a while, they start just trusting your top up card.
    You can probably now switch on Auto Top which is dead handy I find.
    https://www.revolut.com/help/getting-started/topping-up/by-card/topping-up-automatically

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Maybe for bigger amounts they check but after an app update sometimes you gota re-verify too

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

If I get a UK Revolut Physical Card is there a annual government charge or similar?

Thanks

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    If I get a UK Revolut Physical Card is there a annual government charge or similar?

Thanks

In Ireland, yes - you still pay stamp duty. It's on as a 12C charge per ATM transaction up to an annual limit of €5:
    https://community.revolut.com/t/irish-customers/3901/2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Dardania wrote: »
    In Ireland, yes - you still pay stamp duty. It's on as a 12C charge per ATM transaction up to an annual limit of €5:
    https://community.revolut.com/t/irish-customers/3901/2

Thanks. Sorry I should have been clearer. Does UK government charge an annual fee on UK cards?

Cheers

Thanks. Sorry I should have been clearer. Does UK government charge an annual fee on UK cards?

Cheers

Not from what I've seen, on any of my UK cards (be they Revolut or another else like TransferWise, Curve or Monese)

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭msmx5

No UK charge - I've had the card for over three years and have never paid a government charge on it.

(I don't make ATM withdrawls in Ireland)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

I don't think so, nope. Last year the UK even banned retailers charging extra fees on debit cards last year. Certain ATMs might cost you, but you'd be notified on screen.

I've never used a UK card in an Irish Atm, so not sure if you'd get charged the 12c. I'm pretty sure the fee only applies to Irish residents so if the card was to be addressed to the UK, I guess you wouldn't get charged the 12c, and you're 1 step closer to buying that Ferrari

• Registered Users Posts: 8,761 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Cheers

No

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭TheChizler

-=al=- wrote: »
    I've never used a UK card in an Irish Atm, so not sure if you'd get charged the 12c. I'm pretty sure the fee only applies to Irish residents so if the card was to be addressed to the UK, I guess you wouldn't get charged the 12c, and you're 1 step closer to buying that Ferrari
    Technically it's if the card has an Irish billing address, not where you're resident or where the bank is located.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

App been down last couple of hours.

Working fine for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Davexirl

App down for me and i am over in Liverpool, was hoping to exchange more Euros over to sterling. ****e time for it to go down.

Davexirl wrote: »
    App down for me and i am over in Liverpool, was hoping to exchange more Euros over to sterling. ****e time for it to go down.

For future reference try and avoid exchanging money at the weekend you get a worse rate

• Advertisement

OmegaGene wrote: »
    For future reference try and avoid exchanging money at the weekend you get a worse rate
    Marginally. Unless you're spending several hundred it's not worth the hassle planning IMO.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Marginally. Unless you're spending several hundred it's not worth the hassle planning IMO.

I buy quite a few high end items on when I’m on holiday big money tends to be spent abroad by the time you pay for meals and Uber’s and shopping
    All adds up but each to their own

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Said hassle being a few taps in the app for about 20 secs

Said hassle being a few taps in the app for about 20 secs
    More the hassle of planning your purchases. I rarely know what I'm planning to get at the weekend.

That tip while true is very confusing for newcomers to Revolut IMO. Most people find the concept hard to grasp initially and is just another level of complication.

More the hassle of planning your purchases. I rarely know what I'm planning to get at the weekend.

That tip while true is very confusing for newcomers to Revolut IMO. Most people find the concept hard to grasp initially and is just another level of complication.

It’s not really complicated just change the money before the weekend it’s simple and if you have some left over change it back, much the same as when we used going to a currency exchange place when you go on holiday in the old days
    The entire purpose of Revolut is to save money so I don’t see the point paying 1.5% more on purchases
    Each to their own but that’s my 2 cent

I agree. Unless you know exactly how much you'll be spending it's not worth it.

You run the risk of exchanging too much and having to exchange it back.

And why is that a problem ? It takes all of a second to exchange the money back or you can just keep a balance in that currency

OmegaGene wrote: »
    And why is that a problem ? It takes all of a second to exchange the money back or you can just keep a balance in that currency

The idea is that you change money over to save a little bit, but what if the rate worsens by the time you get to exchange it back.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    The idea is that you change money over to save a little bit, but what if the rate worsens by the time you get to exchange it back.

It's an equal 'risk' that the rate improves instead and you make a profit. If you change at the weekend, it's a certainty that you lose on the rate.

• Advertisement

Quackster wrote: »
    It's the same 'risk' that the rate improves instead and you make a profit.

I planned on buying a watch a few weeks back and exchange a few quid and it didn’t pan out for various reasons so I exchanged it back because the rate was in my favour and I made €67/€70 out of it.
    I have a balance in serveral currencies if you watch the market you can set alerts for good times to buy, it’s all in the planning

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement