Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Calling high horse
    Man down in aisle 4 help needed !!!

The only thing I can suggest is do a factory reset. You could spend hours trying to fix the issue when a wipe would be quicker. Open a ticket with Nvidia support see what they suggest, let them know you're having issues in case you need to RMA

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

The only thing I can suggest is do a factory reset. You could spend hours trying to fix the issue when a wipe would be quicker. Open a ticket with Nvidia support see what they suggest, let them know you're having issues in case you need to RMA

Yeah, cheers. I was hoping the Factory Reset would be my last option! pain in the ass to have to set up everything again. I'll contact Nvidia first and see what they have to say.

I was just wondering if anyone else here recently updated the Controller firmware?

Also, is there anyway to make a snapshop of the system (similar to an Android phone) so that if there's a factory reset, you can reinstall all the same apps again?

chewed wrote: »
    Yeah, cheers. I was hoping the Factory Reset would be my last option! pain in the ass to have to set up everything again. I'll contact Nvidia first and see what they have to say.

I was just wondering if anyone else here recently updated the Controller firmware?

Also, is there anyway to make a snapshop of the system (similar to an Android phone) so that if there's a factory reset, you can reinstall all the same apps again?

What's really strange is that, although I can't access wifi or Ethernet, the StbEmu app is fully working! No other app works and the clock/date is wrong on the device. Google Play app says I'm not connected!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

ERG89 wrote: »
    Had the same problem. I contacted Nvidia to fix it as it's been like that a week or so.
    Have to wait from the RMA team to see if they'll fix or replace it

I have this issue also. How did you contact the RMA team? Keep us up to date how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

cronos wrote:
    I have this issue also. How did you contact the RMA team? Keep us up to date how it goes.

Went to their website, went to support & Live Chat. It took around 30 minutes to get someone on that. Said what was wrong, then showed them proof of purchase and gave my details.
    They emailed me this evening saying to send back the controller to Holland :confused: & they'd send me a replacement. They sent me on labels to put in and outside the box too.
    Obviously They have to recieve the old one to get the new one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

ERG89 wrote: »
    Went to their website, went to support & Live Chat. It took around 30 minutes to get someone on that. Said what was wrong, then showed them proof of purchase and gave my details.
    They emailed me this evening saying to send back the controller to Holland :confused: & they'd send me a replacement. They sent me on labels to put in and outside the box too.
    Obviously They have to recieve the old one to get the new one.

Sound. Think I'll have to do this myself. How long ago had you bought the shield?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭corks finest

Yep. Tried rebooting everything. Makes no difference. Can't connect to anything

If I was me I would turn off the modem/router for a couple of minutes and unplug the shield and start again
    My LG tv said enthernet wasn’t connected the other day and it was, I hadn’t changed anything very strange
    Don't just turn it off,unplug it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

OmegaGene wrote:
    ERG89 how long have you had the shield ?

Just 2 months. The left analogue stick basically sticks in place when I move it to the left. Feels looser than the right.
    Normally I would ignore it but if I'm using it in a menu like YouTube or Netflix it goes haywire. Never mind playing something on steam.

I ended up wiping the Shield this morning with a factory reset. Probably not a bad thing to do as I've so much crap installed on it over the past year.

I used to use ES File Explorer, but I remember someone recommending an alternative version on this thread?

Ethernet connecting okay ?

Yeah, perfect. No issues anymore. I spent an hour earlier this morning trying to fix it, but had no luck. So the Factory Reset has fixed everything.

• Advertisement

I ended up wiping the Shield this morning with a factory reset. Probably not a bad thing to do as I've so much crap installed on it over the past year.

I used to use ES File Explorer, but I remember someone recommending an alternative version on this thread?

Xplore file manager is great on the Shield.

Xplore file manager is great on the Shield.

Thanks! I'll check that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭xckjoo

The developer of RetroX has just posted that he's back recovered and working on RetroX again (slowly), he's added new features (game cheats) but that RetroX is now moving to an annual paid model with a more expensive lifetime subscription. Anyone who's already bought keeps lifetime forever, but from 28th January the annual sub will by the cost we paid for lifetime. If You've not bought get buying folks or it'll cost ye every year!

RetroX before Arc or similar? Hoping for the easiest setup and maintaince. I've spent too long over the years messing with that kind of stuff :D

Is it true retrox needs an Internet connection to work? That might be a bit of a deal breaker for me. If the internet is down I'm more likely to want to use it

xckjoo wrote: »
    RetroX before Arc or similar? Hoping for the easiest setup and maintaince. I've spent too long over the years messing with that kind of stuff :D

They do the same job, but Retrox is pretty much plug and play and built from the ground up for the Shield. Just show it the path to your collection of games, as long as you follow the collection guide to get your folder structure and naming right. Arc is a frontend for multiple other emulators requires lots of setting up

They do the same job, but Retrox is pretty much plug and play and built from the ground up for the Shield. Just show it the path to your collection of games, as long as you follow the collection guide to get your folder structure and naming right. Arc is a frontend for multiple other emulators requires lots of setting up

Cheers. RetroX sounds ideal but looks like there's one or two issues. I guess I'll give it and arc a try

Cheers. RetroX sounds ideal but looks like there's one or two issues. I guess I'll give it and arc a try

No issues with Retrox, not sure where your getting that idea. It works perfect for me. Well worth paying for

• Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭banie01

So encountering an odd issue with one of my Shields.
    The UK player apps (BBC and ITV) are not appearing on boot.
    Now this is likely a regionalisation/localisation issue but, 2 other shields on the same network aren't having the issue at all.

Language set to English UK, location set to off.
    Have enabled the apps via FX File explorer and they are visible and usable until a reboot and then the issue starts all over again.

The shield has been factory reset and issue persists, even if I do new set up via a UK VPN.

Any ideas?

No issues with Retrox, not sure where your getting that idea. It works perfect for me. Well worth paying for

100% agree!
    Having used and setup many of the alternative emulators from Retroarch and every other popular iteration covering retro games.
    Retrox really is the simplest and most fully featured emulator I've used.
    No real messing about, easy to add games and systems without getting bogged down in either option screens or .XML editing.
    Really a user driven system and with a menu and system selection GUI that leaves anything else I've tried in the shade.

You say you’ve enabled the apps via fx file so I take it they are side loaded ?
    Why not get them from the play store and use them as normal, that is what worked for me as I’ve nothing side loaded

Nope not side loaded at all, the system apps are for some reason disabled on reboot.

FX has an option to view app status and permissions and to reenabke them ;)

The need for an Internet connection at launch is putting me off a bit. Its rare for it to be down but I started in the dial up days so still have some engrained habits. Must check to see if it's still a requirement or if I'm reading old info.
    Appreciate the feedback by the way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

Lads what's the best file explorer to use on the shield. Not liking es file explorer at all

The need for an Internet connection at launch is putting me off a bit. Its rare for it to be down but I started in the dial up days so still have some engrained habits. Must check to see if it's still a requirement or if I'm reading old info.

Yes the developer has said this is being addressed in an upcoming update. There have been lots of updates in the past 2 months, pretty much every time I've launched it there has been an update but that should level off soon

Yes the developer has said this is being addressed in an upcoming update. There have been lots of updates in the past 2 months, pretty much every time I've launched it there has been an update but that should level off soon

Looks like it's on hold at the moment so he can concentrate on other features but he seems to want to implement it
    http://www.retrox.tv/roadmap/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭54and56

Well, in the (hopefully) rare event that your main internet service is down and if Retrox just needs an internet connection at startup to do some sort of data light check why not enable a WiFi hotspot from your phone's 3G/4G internet service, connect your Shield to it and see if that would suffice as a workaround until it is addressed in a future update?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

That file explorer, X-plore. The free one from the play store good enough or should I be paying for it ?

That file explorer, X-plore. The free one from the play store good enough or should I be paying for it ?

Free is fine

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

Free is fine

Thanks High Horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭BandMember

Ok, so, I've installed Retrox and got some games which I have put on USB and connected to my Shield - is there a very simple way to set up/install the games? If anyone has a link to a step by step tutorial or YouTube guide that they could share, that would be great. Thanks!

BandMember wrote: »
    Ok, so, I've installed Retrox and got some games which I have put on USB and connected to my Shield - is there a very simple way to set up/install the games? If anyone has a link to a step by step tutorial or YouTube guide that they could share, that would be great. Thanks!

http://www.retrox.tv/games/

You need to follow the guide to make a collection, make sure you get the file and folder structure correct for your collection and only use supported game file types. Then just add the whole collection as a single folder and let Retrox scan it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭BandMember

http://www.retrox.tv/games/

You need to follow the guide to make a collection, make sure you get the file and folder structure correct for your collection and only use supported game file types. Then just add the whole collection as a single folder and let Retrox scan it

Thanks for that, worked a treat and was set up in no time! :D

Advertisement