Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old TV programmes you liked but no one else remembers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

I occasionally sing the theme tune to The Poddington Pea's to my cats but change the lyrics to be more cat-oriented; when my wife first heard me do it, she thought I was having a breakdown, but then it got into her head and she sings it more than me. Neither of us have ever seen the show, but those 80s themes were so catchy that they just burn into your mind :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOypeZAmfEw

• Registered Users Posts: 12,383 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I occasionally sing the theme tune to The Poddington Pea's to my cats but change the lyrics to be more cat-oriented; when my wife first heard me do it, she thought I was having a breakdown, but then it got into her head and she sings it more than me. Neither of us have ever seen the show, but those 80s themes were so catchy that they just burn into your mind :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOypeZAmfEw
    I also sing to my cats. Glad I'm not alone in this. Everyone (cats included) thinks I'm bonkers .

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Taxedalot

Anyone remember Logan's Run?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,581 ✭✭✭✭briany

Baddiel and Skinner Unplanned. This was a fairly popular show at the time, but people don't reminisce about it the same way they might with Fantasy Football League. Basically, the show was Baddiel & Skinner with a live studio audience, and they would take questions from the audience , and just riff on the different funny topics that came up.

I always enjoyed it, especially when they appointed a secretary from the audience to take down the minutes of what was talked about on a whiteboard, and the secretary was a bit mad. For example, one time the secretary (chosen by Baddiel) turned out to be a stalker of Frank's.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Can anyone remember a quasi-medieval fantasy series that I think was aimed at kids where the baddie was a knight who had a dragon whom he controlled by pointing his sword and then the dragon would shoot fire at whatever it was, ? I remember a climatic battle where the baddies armies are facing the rival army and he summons the dragon and points his sword at the rival army who are then toast. Anyway this young boy who I think was the hero got the sword off him and pointed it at him so the dragon ended up breathing fire at him and killing him. I saw it on RTE circa early 80's, have a feeling it was a UK series.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Can anyone remember a quasi-medieval fantasy series that I think was aimed at kids where the baddie was a knight who had a dragon whom he controlled by pointing his sword and then the dragon would shoot fire at whatever it was, ? I remember a climatic battle where the baddies armies are facing the rival army and he summons the dragon and points his sword at the rival army who are then toast. Anyway this young boy who I think was the hero got the sword off him and pointed it at him so the dragon ended up breathing fire at him and killing him. I saw it on RTE circa early 80's, have a feeling it was a UK series.

Cartoon, puppets, real people?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

my3cents wrote: »
    Cartoon, puppets, real people?

It was live action with real actors. From what I recall of the dragon you could only see his head and neck, he would appear from over the horizon. He looked like maybe a big papier mache head filmed in close up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Bod

With his Aunt Flo, Farmer Barleymow and Frank the Postman.

Taxedalot wrote: »
    Anyone remember Logan's Run?

Was too young to watch it but i remember it being on TV. Like a lot of these TV series, did it end with a finale or did it just peter out (if that's the term) without any conclusion at the end? i.e. did they live happily ever after? :D

branie2 wrote: »
    Buck Rogers in the 25th Century; it was my first introduction to science fiction

god love you- I hope you got therapy since :P

my intro to sci fi was Star Trek repeats in the 70's followed by Star Wars A New Hope:P

• Advertisement

No mention of Worzel Gummidge yet?

OK Crowman- stop pushing your own agenda around here!!!:mad::(

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Might have been mentioned but I live that French animated series about the Human body. Explaining different biological functions each week. I was amazed by it. Anyone know it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Might have been mentioned but I live that French animated series about the Human body. Explaining different biological functions each week. I was amazed by it. Anyone know it?

Just twice! - once upon a time...life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Torchy the Battery Boy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Not quite a program but it had a great storyline to it... kinda reminds me of The Shining.

AKA John, did you put the cat out?

Never the Twain, a comedy about two rival antique dealers. I thought I'd mentioned it as Windsor Davies, who played Oliver Smallbridge in the series, died recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,210 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Count duckula - think David Jason (del boy from only fools and horses) voiced the main character.

He did

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

The Trapdoor. Kids show with lots of squidgy beasties

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

It ain't half hot, Mum, also with Windsor Davies. All I remember is him shouting "you 'orrible lot".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

wishbone. know it was a kids show but loved it:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Just remembered Clutch Cargo and the creepy real mouths in the cartoon faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,652 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Muckka wrote: »
    I think there should be an RTE archive channel.
    Year's ago the programme s were more educational, informative and interesting.

Radharc, to the water's and the wild, and many more.

The blackbird and the bell was great too.

If RTE deleted their archive's shame on them.

Something like this, perhaps?
    https://www.rte.ie/archives/exhibitions/1378-radharc/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭AllForIt

branie2 wrote: »
    Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea

I loved that. So bad it was good. Well not that bad. It was creepy. On RTE early Saturday mornings.

Fun fact, Richard Basehart did the voice-over on the intro to Knight Rider. David Hedison who was second in command played the lead role in the original "The Fly" , later played by Jeff Goldblum in the remake.

Branie2 mentioned "The Fugitive". We lived in the UK when this showed, and it was the only night of the week we were allowed to stay up late (till 9 !!!). Anyway, we moved to Ireland and missed the very last episode. Aaargh. What actually happened was that we didn't have BBC over here, but it was shown on RTE - believe it or not, RTE were always one week ahead of UK. At least that's how it was explained to 10 year old me wanting to know if Kimble caught the One-armed-man, before being caught himself.

Kids these days just have no idea of the concept of missing something when it was broadcast.

Stuff wasn't endlessly repeated, or so it seemed at the time. There was no "+ 1" channel, no VHS, no DVD, no DVR, no YouTube, no Netflix, no downloads.

If you missed it, you missed it. I remember crying at being dragged away from Queen's Christmas Eve concert to go to midnight Mass, 1975 I think. A live concert broadcast was very, very rare, and if you didn’t catch it as it happened, you didn't catch it.

Marengo wrote: »
    Was Robin Givens in it? Who married Tyson.

Most recently appearing as the quite hot Mayor of Riverdale

Marengo wrote: »

Landmark was one and Mart and Market for cattle prices when i was 4 or 5 :)

Halls Pictorial memorably sampled the bould Michael Dillon of Mart and Market saying "bullocks" and mixed it with political speeches - edgy enough for those days.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Why Don't You?
    Magpie.
    Crackerjack.

Well known shows, but lots of my age group don't remember them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,756 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

madmaggie wrote: »
    It ain't half hot, Mum, also with Windsor Davies. All I remember is him shouting "you 'orrible lot".

Windsor Davies died very recently at the age of 88.

Advertisement