Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

gimli2112 wrote: »
    there's a serious amount of games coming up that interest me. Division 2 is a day 1 for me, Anthem seems it could be something I'd like but I know very little about it, Metro Exodus I liked the first 2 - never finished them but this looks fantastic on console and RE2 already purchased.

Don't forget DmC5! This year is turning out to be very front loaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭Varik

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Thought that game came out ages ago. And what's the mystery when the list the contents? Strange. I guess the mystery is why someone would buy it. The jigsaw is the single player content

Same, not really sure where the joke is there for him.

It did come out ages ago and the tweet shows slight $30 discount now.

Didn't get it but from looking online it lights up and does the eerie sounds effects like in the zombies games. So can see a COD or more likely a COD zombie fan liking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

The Hong Kong Massacre finally gets a release date and an accompanying trailer.

Needs more slow-mo doves...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

gizmo wrote: »

haha that looks great, Hard boiled the game :D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Those top down shooters don't normally do anything for me but that looks good.
    Liked the music too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,876 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

That looks awesome. Wasn't on my radar at all, not showing in the store yet and trailer showing Jan 22nd release? Hope it's being released over here without some prick thinking I need a censored version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

So is it just Hotline Miami with high quality graphics?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Oh god, if they will add soundtrack similar to Hotline Miami then I will cream my pants! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,604 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Well that's me sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

nix wrote: »
    haha that looks great, Hard boiled the game :D:pac:

This looks unreal! What a trailer. :pac:

Only on Steam and PS4? Boooo

• Advertisement

Mechanically yes, albeit with the addition of a slow motion ability and the dive/roll/slide moves which are staples of the HK-action movies from which the game draws its inspiration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Mechanically yes, albeit with the addition of a slow motion ability and the dive/roll/slide moves which are staples of the HK-action movies from which the game draws its inspiration.

Don't get me wrong, this had me totally interested as I thought the Hotline games were great. I wonder would the slo-mo ability make the game a lot easier to play and Ron what makes the Hotline games great.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

gimli2112 wrote: »
    there's a serious amount of games coming up that interest me. Division 2 is a day 1 for me, Anthem seems it could be something I'd like but I know very little about it, Metro Exodus I liked the first 2 - never finished them but this looks fantastic on console and RE2 already purchased.
    As someone who saw Division 1 and didn't understand the appeal of a loot-shooter with realistic graphics but damage-sponge enemies:

What's so appealing about The Division 2?

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    As someone who saw Division 1 and didn't understand the appeal of a loot-shooter with realistic graphics but damage-sponge enemies:

Its the same game with more content and slightly better graphics. The core game is the same and the fundamental systems operate the same.

Don't get me wrong, this had me totally interested as I thought the Hotline games were great. I wonder would the slo-mo ability make the game a lot easier to play and Ron what makes the Hotline games great.
    I wouldn't necessarily say it makes it easier. The game seems to play quite differently to HM, with more of on an emphasis on style than simply survivability. For instance, the slow-mo ability lasts for approximately 5 seconds but gets a burst of regen when you kill someone while it's active, opening the door to chaining kills to keep it going. However, when the level is completed, the time spent with slow-mo is tracked which, I assume, affects some sort of score at a certain point. So I guess it'll depend on how you want to play?

You can judge for yourself in the gameplay video from back in November anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I played the Division several times since launch and it was different types of broken at various stages. Really enjoyed it, grew bored and went back to it. After one of the latter patches they got the gear and guns pretty right. You could make various builds which were very different and there was quite a bit of grinding to optimise them, the grind itself wasn't unenjoyable and once you understood how the optimisation worked it was good to have something to work towards.

I had 2 or 3 characters maxed before I really understood what I was working towards.

It wasn't for everyone but what is and it spent a lot of goodwill early on. I put a savage amount of hours into it and expect to go again with 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The bullet sponge got a bit of a reality check, if an enemy is that tough it's for a reason like he's wearing a EOD suit which you can tear through and see as armour is damaged and if you break off armour hitting those areas do normal damage as if a normal human.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I couldn't get past the bizarro design choices that said a guy with a wooly bobble hat can take 60 bullets to the head and still survive in The Division and I never looked at it again after playing it for a free beta weekend. I'd been really looking forward to it too, but frak that noise. I can sort of forgive it in Destiny because even though you won't necessarily auto-kill things with headshots, you do huge damage and they're wearing sci-fi armour and shields, not 2020's near-future baseball caps.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,389 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Mortal Kombat 11 Public event took place. Main notes:

- Confirmed fighters so far are Scorpion, Sub-zero, Raiden, Sonya Blade, Baraka, Skarlet and new character Geras
    - Sonya voiced by Ronda Rousey. Character model also now looks a bit more like Ronda.
    - Variations return from MKX, but merged with customisation from Injustice 2 to create your own variations and customise character look, moves and attributes
    - Few minutes of start of story mode shown
    - Xrays kinda removed. Some standard moves will trigger xray appearance closeups but new Fatal Blow supermove (replacing xray supermove) becomes available when your health goes below 30%
    - Collectors edition includes a Scorpion mask. They didn't confirm what material it'll be made out of though so expect nylon and hope for the best :D

Shiminay wrote: »
    I couldn't get past the bizarro design choices that said a guy with a wooly bobble hat can take 60 bullets to the head and still survive in The Division and I never looked at it again after playing it for a free beta weekend. I'd been really looking forward to it too, but frak that noise. I can sort of forgive it in Destiny because even though you won't necessarily auto-kill things with headshots, you do huge damage and they're wearing sci-fi armour and shields, not 2020's near-future baseball caps.

Division is not a shooter, it's an RPG. Always was from the first announcement. How can people still not grasp this years later?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Rob2D wrote: »
    Division is not a shooter, it's an RPG. Always was from the first announcement. How can people still not grasp this years later?

I think its the guns :pac:

nix wrote: »
    I think its the guns :pac:

I shoot man with my shoot bang and man no go down. Why this happen?! GRRRRRRR:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Rob2D wrote: »
    Division is not a shooter, it's an RPG.

It's a looter shooter and a skinner box. It has numbers and bullet sponges which doesn't make it an RPG even if it also has RPG elements. Modern games are usually a salad of genres and mechanics.

Halo composer getting flak for not liking the Gillette ad
    https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2019/01/sjws-target-halo-composer-marty-odonnell-for-abandoning-gillette-due-to-their-anti-male-agenda/75321/

ESA at it again
    https://nichegamer.com/2019/01/17/esa-met-the-world-health-organization-over-gaming-disorder-classification/

Star Control is back
    https://nichegamer.com/2019/01/17/star-control-origins-returns-to-steam/

Activision tags players who don't buy enough stuff with a warning symbol (like the one I tagged this post with)
    https://youtu.be/qqELVXoAieI

Ubisoft says sorry for having straight people in their DLC
    https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-01-17-ubisoft-apologises-for-forcing-heterosexual-romance-in-assassins-creed-odyssey-dlc

Steam available in China but still no word on their biased censoring blitz
    https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2019/01/steam-launches-in-mainland-china-in-2019-valve-still-fails-to-discuss-banned-anime-games/75198/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭DS86DS

Penn wrote: »

- Confirmed fighters so far are Scorpion, Sub-zero, Raiden, Sonya Blade, Baraka, Skarlet and new character Geras
    - Sonya voiced by Ronda Rousey. Character model also now looks a bit more like Ronda.
    - Variations return from MKX, but merged with customisation from Injustice 2 to create your own variations and customise character look, moves and attributes
    - Few minutes of start of story mode shown
    - Xrays kinda removed. Some standard moves will trigger xray appearance closeups but new Fatal Blow supermove (replacing xray supermove) becomes available when your health goes below 30%
    - Collectors edition includes a Scorpion mask. They didn't confirm what material it'll be made out of though so expect nylon and hope for the best :D

A timeless classic that never gets old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭DS86DS

Anybody got any news about Skull & Bones from Unisoft? Nothing much of note online bar that it will be released in 2019/ 20.

DS86DS wrote: »
    Anybody got any news about Skull & Bones from Unisoft? Nothing much of note online bar that it will be released in 2019/ 20.

No, nothing new to add but this game is a standalone version of the sea missions in Black Flag. I was tracking the development for awhile, it looks cool but I am not sure where the game is at the moment.

Yeah, that's what the issue was. Having straight people in the game :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,138 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Who even roleplays gay/straight in AC Odyssey? My Kassandra rides anything with a pulse.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Who even roleplays gay/straight in AC Odyssey? My Kassandra rides anything with a pulse.

No need to ask what option you picked with Alkibiades and the goat then :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,920 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Even after being told Sonya was based on Ronda, with a side by side picture, I still don't see it.
    No need to ask what option you picked with Alkibiades and the goat then :D

For someone who hasn't played it, I'm assuming I'm misreading this :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement