Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gillette | Toxic masculinity advert.

Options
  • 15-01-2019 4:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭

Honestly, this advert floored me in all types of ways.

It seems they thought that it was a good idea to hire a student fresh marketting at UIC. How progressive of them. This is taking the p*ss and at this stage , the video has 134k dislikes. Judging by the responses they may learn from this mistake.

"The boys watching today, Will be the girls of tommorrow"-Gillette 2019"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Weird. They're still selling a product so it feels cringey and disingenuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Feels like a creepy propaganda video.

Are you sure that it's actually a real advert sanctioned by Gillette? It could be some sort of spoof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

In the unlikely event that someone has never heard of Gillette how is this shite going to convince them to buy their razors? Fuck off with your lecture and tell me what your product does and how well it does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭worded

"The boys watching today, Will be the girls of tommorrow"-Gillette 2019" LOL

I’ve stopped shaving for years now and I’d say the more rugged look has decimated shaving blade profits

They would have men shaving their legs if they could

Feels like a creepy propaganda video.

Are you sure that it's actually a real advert sanctioned by Gillette? It could be some sort of spoof.

It's on the official Gillette YouTube channel.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jan/15/gillette-metoo-ad-on-toxic-masculinity-cuts-deep-with-mens-rights-activists

• Advertisement

Where's the 'boys of today will be the girls of tomorrow' line coming from?

Ad obviously says 'men of tomorrow' and I honestly don't see what the fuss appears to be about? Seems like a decent ad to me, although im unsure how it'll sell razors. More a 'this is our progressive stance' video, rather than advertisement. But again, can't see any issue with it. Maybe I'm lost?

Ad obviously says 'men of tomorrow' and I honestly don't see what the fuss appears to be about? Seems like a decent ad to me, although im unsure how it'll sell razors. More a 'this is our progressive stance' video, rather than advertisement. But again, can't see any issue with it. Maybe I'm lost?

Why should it be the job of men to police other mens behaviour? Imagine an ad for L'Oreal in which they lecture women to break up fights between girls or show drunk women from a hen party walking through the town grabbing mens arses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

Surprised they didn’t show men shaving their balls and having mani/pedis...what a load of ****e...

Gillette need to grow a pair of balls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

It's getting hammered everywhere
    It reeks of woke bullshít and preaching.
    It'll either be pulled or sales will nosedive.

Whoever they NOW have in their ad department needs their P45 pronto!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Do you not find it a tad heavy handed? One of the more bizarre moments is the lad admonishing his friend (?) for looking at an attractive girl "not cool, not cool".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Do you notice the fact that every single antagonist in the add is a White Man?

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭mickuhaha

Is Gillette qualified to work as mental health coordinator for society? Did he not sell jets or something....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Why does it show one guy actively stopping another from pursuing a woman as she walks past ? Isn't that how we've come so far as a species, are men not supposed to actively pursue women in what is basically the desire to get laid, When did it become so wrong for men to approach women, how does she know when a potential partner is interested if the guy can't even approach her. Men should know when to back off but shouldn't he at least get the chance to try and make an impression

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Any publicity is good publicity, especially if you're Gillette. It's not going to stop me buying razors, blades and foam from them. It's just another way to get into people's heads...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Do you notice the fact that every single antagonist in the add is a White Man?

there's a black on black thing going on in it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    It's getting hammered everywhere
    It reeks of woke bullshít and preaching.
    It'll either be pulled or sales will nosedive.

Whoever they NOW have in their ad department needs their P45 pronto!

You can't say that anymore.

With PAYE modernisation, P45s are a thing of the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

I'd say sales are at a bit of a low these last years with beards being popular and a hell of a lot of younger men only trimming their stubble with clippers. The old fashioned wet shave is only an option for some men these days.
    Also, isn't this the same company who gave millions to assholes like Lance Armstrong and Tiger Woods? Real role models those two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

I wouldnt be surprised if their tagline of 'the best a man can get' is changed to the best an individual can get

Be terrible if we upset someone somewhere by targeting a male shaving product to its target audience of men

Hopefully Tampax follow suit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

I'll stick with the Aldi blades. If Gillette want my business again they need to look at their price tag, not their message.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Why is society obsessed with feminising men ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Ninthlife wrote: »
    I woupdnt be surprised if their tagline of 'the best a man can get' is changed to the best an individual can get

Be terrible if we upset soneone sonewhere by targeting a male shaving product to its target audience of men

Hopefully Tampax follow suit

Yes hopefully, men can have periods too you know ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,948 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Men are shaving less (more hipster beards than ever knocking around), so Gillette want to sell more of their blades for women, which with Gillette being so generous, women have to pay even more for. Nothing woke, just good old fashioned capitalism.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭Sonic Youth

Myself, my wife and her son all love this ad!

I'm dropping some hints around the house in the hope that my wife and her boyfriend decide to buy me a Gillette razor for my birthday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JMNolan

A continuance of the "Men = Bad. Women = Good" message. Business as usual.

I have two sons, I feel bad for them that the messages they will keep encountering in later life is that they are inferior due to their gender. Equality indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

The thing is this is not today's world, this is a small minority of loud far left ideologs who have been brain washed to look at the world through a lens of oppressed vs oppressor(seeing normal society as an oppressor that needs to be overturned) and as such in order to influence society they are seeking jobs in media(TV, film, social media and advertising) to spread their twisted propaganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭banie01

In the unlikely event that someone has never heard of Gillette how is this shite going to convince them to buy their razors? Fuck off with your lecture and tell me what your product does and how well it does it.

TBH I haven't used a Gillette product since that bollox Henry screwed us out of World Cup qualification...

Something about that smarmy bástard waffling on about the best a man can get, filled me with rage! ;)

As for toxic masculinity...
    It's one of those worrying trends.
    The type of one where if you "recognise" and acknowledge it, you are a cool and progressive all round great guy!
    Or where if you don't subscribe to the notion...
    You are clearly blinded to it by your own toxic masculinity and place in the patriarchy!

I for one look forward to this going full circle and bodyform and Always ultra becoming platforms for anti-feminist propaganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ExoPolitic

It's a new razor for Caitlyn Jenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Meh...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

lawred2 wrote: »
    Meh...

The best a meh can get?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I see the snowflakes have been triggered.

Advertisement