Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sex Education - Netflix *Spoilers*

• 16-01-2019 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31,749 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Just wondering if anyone else watching this?
    First episode was excellent, funny and snappy, hopefully rest is as good.
    Post edited by The Black Oil on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,135 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

We binged it the other night for a few episodes. Quite enjoyed it but still have to finish out the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

I watched the whole thing really enjoyed it, funny, touching (no pun) at times, great young actors and characters. Big influence from John Hughes and also great sound track of a lot of my teens.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,749 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I have watched the first 2 episodes now it is really excellent, initially I thought it was set in the 80s/90s with the styles, cars and song choices but its seems to be set in the present given the mobile phones used and a lot of the references....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Yeah, I was confused by the aesthetic at first. Definitely an homage to John Hughes.

I'm 5 episodes into it and really enjoying it. Some great lines "that kid who looks like a Victorian ghost"!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Brilliant series, one of the best in a long time.

Quote of the century.
    "I've been holding hands for 45 minutes.
    I need to fornicate."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

On episode 6 and really enjoying it. Does anyone else know why the clothes styles seems the be from the 1970s/80s, and all the cars are from the same period?
    All the while, everyone seems to have a smartphone. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Rothmans wrote: »
    On episode 6 and really enjoying it. Does anyone else know why the clothes styles seems the be from the 1970s/80s, and all the cars are from the same period?
    All the while, everyone seems to have a smartphone. . .
    I think it's done on purpose to give the show that sort of vibe, basically, but they couldn't actually set it in the 70's because the show deals with the issues of the effect of social media on young people today.

It reminds me of Archer a bit. They use whatever era they need to for the plot, and who cares because it doesn't really matter anyway.

I like it, it's clever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

really enjoying it (half way through).
    Thought it was an amercian school but with english accents?
    Thought it was the 80's but mobile phones clearly in use etc.
    Doesnt really matter though, its good fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I liked it. Very likable characters.no over the top camp gay flamboyance that you see in other shows. The Main actors are very good which is rare these days. Becaus of that it's very easy to warm to the characters especially Otis and maeve.

Only thing I don't understand is maeve and the clinic. It doesn't seem to have any relevance to story. A false alarm would have cemented the friendship just as much but without any negatives.

Can't wait for season 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭budhabob

Really enjoying this. Was expecting just blunt humour, but it's quiet a tender show at it's backbone. Really strong performance from a relatively unknown cast (barring the few exceptions).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,749 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Finally finished the last 2 episodes of this show, absolutely loved them. It just got better and better for me.

Hopefully not too long for a second series.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,337 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

gmisk wrote: »
    Finally finished the last 2 episodes of this show, absolutely loved them. It just got better and better for me.

Hopefully not too long for a second series.

It has been renewed

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

Watched the entire season in about 2 days, basically Skins with the tone of Inbetweeners, brilliant show.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,135 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Finished it last night. Loved it.

Gillian Anderson looks fantastic with the silver hair too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Finished it yesterday, best thing I've watched in a long time.
    Really enjoyable, loved it. Just kept on getting better and every character in it was likeable for different reasons, great to see it's getting a 2nd season.
    Watched it all in 2 days, and really hope 2nd series comes along soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Based more towards the teen demographic, couldn't get into this at all.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I really enjoyed this, so much so that I'm sad it's over and sorry I didn't spread it out over more than three nights. I genuinely didn't see it coming about
    Adam being in the closet, I just thought he was a bully with daddy issues. Well of course he's that too, but I wasn't expecting them to throw gay into the mix!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Just finished the series. Great stuff - glad to see its already renewed for a second season as there were some decent cliffhangers in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

For the first 2 episodes I was very... Meh. But the third episode dragged me in, from then on the characters were much more likeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭Pentecost

I’m four episodes in to this. I quite like it, there’s some good performances but a minor irritant is how they’ve turned an English school into an American high school, lockers in the hallway, jocks with lettered jackets, band and swim team etc. They’re very different types of schools in reality from anything I’ve ever seen of them.

Is it just to make it relateable for US audiences? Also the weather seems too nice for England.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Pentecost wrote: »
    I’m four episodes in to this. I quite like it, there’s some good performances but a minor irritant is how they’ve turned an English school into an American high school, lockers in the hallway, jocks with lettered jackets, band and swim team etc. They’re very different types of schools in reality from anything I’ve ever seen of them.

Is it just to make it relateable for US audiences? Also the weather seems too nice for England.

thats an interesting qurk to the show. it drifts over and back like that.

also my school here in tipp has the lockers in the hallways

• Registered Users Posts: 28,005 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

So much of this - the school name and logo is all American, the look of the school is all American, even Otis's house and his commute to school by bike is all American. How many UK schools have a 50m swimming pool with banked seating?

It doesn't feel British at all.

Still enjoying it though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

The whole show is a tribute to John Hughes’ teenage movies, in particular the breakfast club. Not only the school is American but the houses are either unbelievably opulent or you live in a trailer park. No semi detached houses anywhere.

But the writing and acting are English. Annoyed me for a while but then I accepted it.

As for the weather, they got lucky in 2018. I wonder how well a sequel will look in a normal grey summer.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,031 ✭✭✭✭beertons

5 episodes in, I think it's very funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Plus Gillian Anderson is hot

The whole show is a tribute to John Hughes’ teenage movies, in particular the breakfast club. Not only the school is American but the houses are either unbelievably opulent or you live in a trailer park. No semi detached houses anywhere.

But the writing and acting are English. Annoyed me for a while but then I accepted it.

As for the weather, they got lucky in 2018. I wonder how well a sequel will look in a normal grey summer.
    Yeah, I forgot about the trailer park, completely non-British. I wonder was it actually shot in the UK?

OmegaGene wrote: »
    It’s a caravan park and they have loads of them dotted around the U.K. my brother has one in Lowestoft rented out
    With people living there full time? Not holiday parks now.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,031 ✭✭✭✭beertons

With people living there full time? Not holiday parks now.

Aye, a friend of mine owns a mobile home park in Devon. Full-time residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

With people living there full time? Not Holiday parks now.

There are people living in static caravan parks full time in Ireland as well, I know someone who lived in Woodland Villas in Birr for about 15 years. Was very damp as I recall!

Google map link to Woodland Villas in Birr

• Advertisement

OmegaGene wrote: »
    It’s a caravan park and they have loads of them dotted around the U.K. my brother has one in Lowestoft rented out

Weren't there full time tenants in Broadchurch also?

As for other things...
    Lockers in the hallways are common AF
    My folks have dozens of medals from my school swim team at home

Rare for a "normal" school to have its own pool but we used to use the Churchfield pool (Cork) when it was still a 25M pool.

Advertisement