Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French author, 50, says he's incapable of loving a woman of 50

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭DS86DS

Think this might mean that a 69-year-old man, whose wife was 8.5 years younger than him (and whom he married when she was nearly 37 and he was 45 and they remained together until he died) wouldn't fancy you, Candie, a woman in her early 30s I believe.

Then again, maybe that's not what the poster means - it's hard to know, when they communicate in insults so much.

You don't get it.

Think this might mean that a 69-year-old man, whose wife was 8.5 years younger than him (and whom he married when she was nearly 37 and he was 45 and they remained together until he died) wouldn't fancy you, Candie, a woman in her early 30s I believe.

Then again, maybe that's not what the poster means - it's hard to know, when they communicate in insults so much.

Well it's hard to hear, GaP, but somehow I'll cope.

He is deceased though, which makes it easier to deal with the implied and hypothetical rejection. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

DS86DS wrote: »
    You don't get it.

Do we have to just guess what you mean? Is Bowie's ghost haunting you and preventing your fingers from reaching the keys you need to come out and say what you mean? That's a pretty Bowie-ish haunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

glasso wrote: »
    obviously most men prefer younger women but this guy got some serious reaction against him for stating his preference. what do you think?

justified? or just older women threatened that they are sexually irrelevant?

A popular French author and television presenter has caused outrage after claiming he was “incapable” of loving a woman aged over 50.

Yann Moix, 50, told a glossy magazine: “Come on now, let’s not exaggerate! That’s not possible … too, too old.”

In the interview with Marie-Claire magazine’s French edition, Moix, the author of several prize-winning novels, added that women in their 50s were “invisible” to him.

“I prefer younger women’s bodies, that’s all. End of. The body of a 25-year-old woman is extraordinary. The body of a woman of 50 is not extraordinary at all,” he said.

Moix has won several literary prizes including the prestigious Prix Goncourt for a first novel and the Prix François Mauriac from the Académie Française for his 1996 debut work Jubilations Vers le Ciel, has directed three films and is the host of a popular TV talkshow.

His comments caused outrage on social media.

The journalist and writer Colombe Schneck, aged 52, published a photo of a backside on her Instagram account. “Voila, the buttocks of a woman aged 52…what an imbecile you are, you don’t know what you’re missing, you and your tiny, paunchy brain.”

Feminist author Mona Chollet said Moix was a “sad sire”, while Laura Hulley, from the political section of the British Embassy in Paris, tweeted: “Happy new year, sexists everywhere!”

Former first lady Valerie Trierweiler tweeted here about Moix in the context of the fourth anniversary of the terrorist attack on satirical newspaper Charlie Hebdo.

French MP Olivia Gregoire, a spokeswoman for Macron’s La République en Marche (LREM) party, tweeted: “Very classy Yann Moix. Very very classy. But like stupidity and vulgarity have no age, it’s reassuring in his case as I doubt many women want (these qualities).”

Do most men not like younger women,

Do we have to just guess what you mean? Is Bowie's ghost haunting you and preventing your fingers from reaching the keys you need to come out and say what you mean? That's a pretty Bowie-ish haunting.

He is and I always make sure that I'm lying on my back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

He is and I always make sure that I'm lying on my back.
    Ah ok. Apologies.

Think he said himself that he was both into dudes and ladies.

goat2 wrote: »
    Do most men not like younger women,
    Lots do anyway. Most probably fancy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Candie wrote: »
    He is deceased though, which makes it easier to deal with the implied and hypothetical rejection. :P

This thread is a Gift that keeps on giving.

There's some real Mensa candidates in here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I think Bruce Springsteen and Christoph Waltz are both good examples of good-looking older men. I love Christoph Waltz. He is gorgeous.

Candie wrote: »
    Jagger is not an example of aging well. He's shrivelled and wizened looking, regardless of his apparent fitness. I've members of my own family who would leave him in the dust.

I totally agree, I think he looks awful. And like many aging celebrities, both male and female, the clear effort to look younger only make things worse. If these celebs just accepted the aging process, they’d be better off.

But Jagger is often trotted as an example of aging well which never fails to bemuse me. It mostly seems to be down to his lepping around various stages because it can’t be about how he looks, right? RIGHT?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4 Nadal Topspin

Men generally peak about 10 to 15 years after women typically peak in my opinion.

I think Bruce Springsteen and Christoph Waltz are both good examples of good-looking older men. I love Christoph Waltz. He is gorgeous.
    Bruce Springsteen looks amazing.

I don't think Waltz is gorgeous myself (although he still looks great) but his talent and charisma and proficiency with languages are seriously attractive traits I think.

• Site Banned Posts: 4 Nadal Topspin

Rod Stewart doesn't look too bad for a man in his 70's.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Rod Stewart doesn't look too bad for a man in his 70's.
    Rod looks like a walnut in a wig!
    Now Bryan Ferry ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

Men generally peak about 10 to 15 years after women typically peak in my opinion.

And I think it can also depend on the genes - what is applicable to irish may not be applicable to ... eastern european for example

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

For me its usually about 20 mins before!!

Lol at women putting down George Clooney.

"I can't have him so he's not really that great"

Such childishness. Men on average can't get female celebrities like Kim Kardashian, but we are adult about it and still say she's hot anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Such childishness. Men on average can't get female celebrities like Kim Kardashian, but we are adult about it and still say she's hot anyway.
    There has literally been pages of posters (women I assume) giving examples of good looking older men. I was getting a wee inferiority complex.

People are merely pointing out that he was better-looking in his 30s than he is now. Which is true.

In ten years time, do you think men will say Kim is as good-looking as she is now? And if they note that she isn’t, does that mean that they are just saying that because they can’t have her?

I’m sure you’ve noted a female celebrity at some point or other who you don’t think is as good-looking as she was. Again, does this mean you think that because you can’t have her? Or are you thinking it because it’s true?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Someone pointed out that he's not as good looking when he was younger, which it true. The exact same thing that's been said about various female celebrities in this thread..of course you would have to twist it to mock women ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Your statements of fact and logic are just going to bounce off and literally zero effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

I'd say he's had work done too, no way those lips are defying gravity by themselves!

Mads Mikkelson is aging very well. Nearly painfully pretty as a young man, different kind of appeal now in his 50s but I'd say he'll still be hot af into his 70s.

Weird the way this thread ended up being for tearing men's appearances apart :pac: fcukit it's almost the weekend, let's crack out the wine and start ranking them, might as well really lean in to this.

and there it is.

women don't have a ''different kind of appeal''.

Men on average can't get female celebrities like Kim Kardashian, but we are adult about it and still say she's hot anyway.
    Poor effort seeing as it contradicts what you've been saying for pages.

I am worried that this thread is resulting in a lot of ignored and hungry cats.

• Site Banned Posts: 5 Omelette10

greencap wrote: »
    and there it is.

"There's something about him", even ugly men can have that appeal. So many women find Gordon Ramsay sexy, look at the state if his face, but he's got a sexy personality that arouses a lot of women.

Generally speaking women are attracted to confidence, dominance, charisma, status and social skills. Looks of course matter too, but the former traits have a more powerful affect on women in my opinion.

Omelette10 wrote: »
    and there it is.

"There's something about him", even ugly men can have that appeal. So many women find Gordon Ramsay sexy, look at the state if his face, but he's got a sexy personality that arouses a lot of women.

Generally speaking women are attracted to confidence, dominance, charisma, status and social skills. Looks of course matter too, but the former traits have a more powerful affect on women in my opinion.
    Oh god no! Personality and features

Out of the frying pan and insta ban.

Stop flirting with me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

and there it is.

Strongly disagree, as someone who's also attracted to women.

And is that the point du jour you've decided is the crux of your argument? I can't keep track love.

And is that the point du jour you've decided is the crux of your argument? I can't keep track love.

Men's attraction mechanism works differently to women's, while personality can indeed make a woman more attractive, it is much more limited in it's scope compared to the power of a man's personality.

Look at Conor McGregor for example, he would have no problem attracting beautiful women even if he had no money or fame. He's got the personality that attracts.

• Advertisement

Omelette10 wrote: »

Meen's attraction mechanism works differently to women's, while personality can indeed make a woman more attractive, it is much more limited in it's scope compared to the power of a man's personality.
    Who's meen?

Advertisement