Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ultra Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Pete Kostelnick now into the last 20km of his Alaska to Florida self-supported run.

A bit over 8000km in 98 days, not a bad average!

Tracker here

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

The secret of endurance athletes, at least according to the BBC.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20181106-the-secrets-of-endurance-athletes

A 100 miles trail run at 7:14 pace. :eek: That's just out of this world!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1960515123/overview

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

He’s something else. Some of his pbs are nuts.

12 hours PB (101.66 miles)
    100 miles (11:47:21)
    50 mile time (5:12:36)
    American Record for 200k (16:33:28).

https://youtu.be/oeFNtPKqQLI

Backyard Ultra from Laz.

Crazy stuff. Love following these races but would never do one. They’re hellish

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,506 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

Looks like Enduro is set for a very impressive 7th place finish in Oman by UTMB - https://omanbyutmb.livetrail.run/teteCourse.php

Well done Enduro!
    Excellent 8th place finish and 1st in O50 category - 140km with almost 8000m climbing, that's some day out!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,506 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

NY Times profile of Courtney Dauwalter. :eek:
    HOMEWOOD, Calif. — At 1:40 in the morning, running through the woods near Lake Tahoe, Courtney Dauwalter began hallucinating.

She saw live puppets playing on a swing set on the side of the trail. Trees and rocks turned into faces. She was on her second night without sleep, 165 miles into a 205-mile race through the mountains, pushing her body to levels considered physically impossible not long ago, and seeing very strange things in the night.

Dauwalter had been on her feet for almost 40 hours and was leading the field of 215 runners as she set her sights on a course record for September’s Tahoe 200, one in a series of very, very long ultramarathons, the latest craze among distance running’s lunatic set. Their hero is Dauwalter, a 33-year old with a reputation for outrunning men and shattering course records. She has won 11 ultramarathons and finished second in seven other endurance races.

She saw live puppets playing on a swing set on the side of the trail. Trees and rocks turned into faces. She was on her second night without sleep, 165 miles into a 205-mile race through the mountains, pushing her body to levels considered physically impossible not long ago, and seeing very strange things in the night.

Hallucinations in ultra marathons that run through the night are actually very common. Not that mine ever involved puppies.

Saves a fortune on certain kinds of recreational drugs, too! :p

• Advertisement

It took her a year but Camille Herron has figured out the 24 hrs.
    The result? A new world record! Two world records in one go, in fact!! :eek:

https://www.fastrunning.com/running-athletics-news/world/womens-world-24hr-record-broken/21601

To put that into context, running 162.9 miles would put her into serious contention for a medal in the men's world championships!

Wonder was she fuelling on beer this time?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ultrawoman

Wonder was she fuelling on beer this time?

She had one bottle when she was going through a rough patch and walked a few laps. It seemed to do the trick.
    Fantastic race to follow. Some runner.

Good Sports Illustrated interview with her below:

https://www.si.com/edge/2018/12/12/camille-herron-24-hour-run-world-record-track-desert-solstice-162-miles?fbclid=IwAR0hhgTSFp-nPNGdOs0WoiaZtuIlEOEa-9VFT6C1TvfdnVXknycmTwgCtvU

I'll have to add that to my training plan for my next 24hr - will let you know how it works out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Enduro

Also last weekend we had the world 24 hour champion, and at that point WR holder, Patrycja Bereznowska racing in Wicklow in the RAW 100 miles. Irish international Yvonne Naughton did very well indeed to win the race Female category, with Patrycja in second. An equally great run from another Irish International Mark Doyle to win the Male category also against some good international opposition.

And in the 50 miler I was not at all surprised to see Tom Hogan win big, and blow my old course record away.

Given the stormy conditions it was great to see such large numbers complete both distances. Irish ultrarunning is on a lovely upward curve.

Anyone have experience of running Windschoten 100km?

Looking to pencil it in to my plan for next year - 10x10km loop, flat, traffic free, 10 am. start is a luxury!
    Seems too good to be true, presume it may sell out early?

Looking to pencil it in to my plan for next year - 10x10km loop, flat, traffic free, 10 am. start is a luxury!

I haven't run it myself but they have held the World/Euro championships in 2015, and from what I've heard it was an excellent race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

I haven't run it myself but they have held the World/Euro championships in 2015, and from what I've heard it was an excellent race.

I raneed it as part of the world champion in 2011. It's very flat and the locals were out in force supporting with garden parties etc. I'd highly recommend it.

ultrapercy wrote: »
    I raneed it as part of the world champion in 2011. It's very flat and the locals were out in force supporting with garden parties etc. I'd highly recommend it.

Like the sound of that. I see you can also request to stay with a host family if signing up for the 100km.

Will definitely look to sign on when entries open, they even do a refund minus €10 admin fee up until mid-August, very reasonable. Course record at 6h14m ain't bad, there might be hope for me breaking 10 hours yet!

Did you fly to Groningen? (can't see any direct flights). Otherwise seems to be almost 3 hours from Schipol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭ArtieFufkin

Like the sound of that. I see you can also request to stay with a host family if signing up for the 100km.

Will definitely look to sign on when entries open, they even do a refund minus €10 admin fee up until mid-August, very reasonable. Course record at 6h14m ain't bad, there might be hope for me breaking 10 hours yet!

Did you fly to Groningen? (can't see any direct flights). Otherwise seems to be almost 3 hours from Schipol.

I think (from memory) that you can get a train direct from Schipol to Groeningen. That's what I did a few years back- not for the race, for a gig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 sutrra

Hi , planing for xmas holidays to go jn Killarney, and try to go on Carantouhill, is there some easy route with a nice trail, or all the routes are with some tehnical stuff and will be hard to get on top. Planing on going with some normal kit that we use as mandatory kit on races, with some extra midlayer.

Check out the routes on Kerry Mtn Rescue page.

Some routes aren’t that technical at all. But the summit is pretty dangerous to descend from if weather comes in.

Devils ladder route is known as tourist route.

You’ll need to know how to use a map and compass going up. Especially this time of year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

sutrra wrote: »
    Hi , planing for xmas holidays to go jn Killarney, and try to go on Carantouhill, is there some easy route with a nice trail, or all the routes are with some tehnical stuff and will be hard to get on top. Planing on going with some normal kit that we use as mandatory kit on races, with some extra midlayer.

Check out the Zig Zag route. I’ve seen people running that, one with a baby on his back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭El CabaIIo

jamule wrote: »

Jesus, that's some progress for a guy who didn't start running that long ago. In reality, he's probably going to need a 2:14/2:15 to have a shot. I wonder what the rest of the lads are going to do with the World Championship on next year though(it will scratch any fast Autumn marathons for them) so the window to run fast will be smaller than it was for Rio)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

jamule wrote: »

While it is a great story should be worth nothing that prior to his “running seriously” he still clocked a 9.42 2 mile (9.00 3k) and with Tim Toffleson as a friend as well he has no doubt been getting good training guidance and his background in cross country shows that he has been doing a lot right for quite some time.

Great to see the addition of depth to Irish marathon running for sure but it’s a very big jump from 2.20 to 2.16 (not impossible)

To put it into context a bit David Flynn debuted on a slower course (DCM while not overly slow is not notoriously fast like the reputation of CIM) in 2.19 this year and not one mention of him in the mix for Olympics

Will be Interesting to see how he progresses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

So, MCI are running a 24 hour event alongside their Back2Back marathons in Limerick on 2/3rd March.
    While that's welcome news and close enough to home for me, 2 months notice is a bit short for me to be giving this one a go.

Any takers? Will probably be there for the B2B, but otherwise sticking to my training for Belfast 24 in June.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So, MCI are running a 24 hour event alongside their Back2Back marathons in Limerick on 2/3rd March.
    While that's welcome news and close enough to home for me, 2 months notice is a bit short for me to be giving this one a go.

Any takers? Will probably be there for the B2B, but otherwise sticking to my training for Belfast 24 in June.

I'd ideally like to see them adding a 12hr event, would def have interest in it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Football Friend11

Hi guys, probably a stupid question but I’ve signed up for the connemarathon ultra as my first and been following the training plan on the site for the last few weeks and all good so far, just this Saturday it says ‘Time Trial’, now I assume this is running as fast as I can but it doesn’t mention a distance or maybe I’m being silly and can’t see it. Can anyone offer some advice?. Thanks. Link to the plan below.

http://www.connemarathon.com/18-weeks/ultra.pdf

Hi guys, probably a stupid question but I’ve signed up for the connemarathon ultra as my first and been following the training plan on the site for the last few weeks and all good so far, just this Saturday it says ‘Time Trial’, now I assume this is running as fast as I can but it doesn’t mention a distance or maybe I’m being silly and can’t see it. Can anyone offer some advice?. Thanks. Link to the plan below.

http://www.connemarathon.com/18-weeks/ultra.pdf

It's a generic plan, so don't sweat it. Whatever you do won't be "wrong". If it were me, I'd do a Tempo run of some sort (Not 100% as fast as you can, but working hard over 20 - 40 minutes, or something like that).

Anyway, the reason I was on this thread...

A funny little article on runner's world here. Personally speaking, the results sound like crap to me, but maybe the underlying trends do exist in general and I'm the oddball!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Enduro wrote: »
    Anyway, the reason I was on this thread...

A funny little article on runner's world here. Personally speaking, the results sound like crap to me, but maybe the underlying trends do exist in general and I'm the oddball!

Good luck with the Spine! Am looking forward to watching the dots and the videos.

Good luck with the Spine! Am looking forward to watching the dots and the videos.

Thanks!. Must try and do a preview.

Coming up to 72 hours in the Spine Race.
    Live tracking http://live.thespinerace.com/

Enduro in a solid 3rd place about 20 miles behind the 2 leaders having taken a good few hours more sleep than them. He should arrive at Greenhead checkpoint in the next few mins.

Jasmine Paris is storming it, and with just 30 miles to the finish she should be well inside Enduro's course record of 95 hours. She has about 8km over Eugeni who is currently resting at the final major checkpoint in Bellingham.

Best of luck to all on the final leg.

• Advertisement

Enduro straight through that checkpoint, must be determined to chase down 2nd place!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Itziger

Enduro looked in a spot of bother there in a clip from a C.P. I saw earlier (think it was yesterday morning). Looked quite stiff/sore. Didn't realise they were nearing the end. I'd say he'd be happy with podium at this stage, no?

Some win for your one if she can hold on.

Enduro straight through that checkpoint, must be determined to chase down 2nd place!

Just checked there. He's 20 miles behind the Catalan, man!! That would be the chase to end all chases.

Itziger wrote: »

Just checked there. He's 20 miles behind the Catalan, man!! That would be the chase to end all chases.

Catalan man is taking some much delayed sleep right now. Agree it is unlikely he will be caught, but it would be great if Enduro could put him under pressure. First 3 may all finish inside course record if conditions hold up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Jasmine Paris is storming it, and with just 30 miles to the finish she should be well inside Enduro's course record of 95 hours. She has about 8km over Eugeni who is currently resting at the final major checkpoint in Bellingham.

Inspiring is a word that I think is bandied about too much but this lady is just that.

She's still breastfeeding so she's expressing while she's on the run. A woman has not won the spine outright since it was first staged in 2012 so it would be fantastic to see her get over the Cheviots and nail it.

If Enduro's course record is to be broken, I think that he'd be happy to see it broken by such an incredible athlete.

Check out her blog here.

Great to see Enduro get a well deserved podium too. The next 24 hours will make for interesting dot watching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Neady83 wrote:
    She's still breastfeeding so she's expressing while she's on the run.

This is just incredible! Thanks for sharing the blog link, will be a good read later!

To be fair, Enduro did predict a possible win and course record for Jasmin in his race preview!

https://eoinkeith.wordpress.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Follow the dots here. Watching it when I can on and off all day. Did not realise who Enduro was until now - face reddens. 18 miles and pretty steady between Eugeni (2nd) and Eoin (3rd).

Credit to James Thurlow for doing the sums on this one

50041741_10155708308876695_9117098641687838720_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=dbffc9eeeecba308d6b8d5912c129b15&oe=5CCF8B6F

The difference between Enduros splits from his record setting run in 2016 and Jasmins splits from the race this year so far (though weather and therefore conditions underfoot play a part). She may well get in 11 hours ahead of the record.

That's incredible performances from all of the top athletes, but if we have learned one thing from previous years is that funny things can and do happen right until the end in that race.

Enduro will put the pressure on and hope for a break, even if the gap looks insurmountable at the moment.

Jasmin looks unbelievable, though. Superhuman!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Neady83 wrote: »
    Inspiring is a word that I think is bandied about too much but this lady is just that.

She's still breastfeeding so she's expressing while she's on the run. A woman has not won the spine outright since it was first staged in 2012 so it would be fantastic to see her get over the Cheviots and nail it.

If Enduro's course record is to be broken, I think that he'd be happy to see it broken by such an incredible athlete.

Check out her blog here.

Great to see Enduro get a well deserved podium too. The next 24 hours will make for interesting dot watching.

Brilliant reading, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

That's incredible performances from all of the top athletes, but if we have learned one thing from previous years is that funny things can and do happen right until the end in that race.

Enduro will put the pressure on and hope for a break, even if the gap looks insurmountable at the moment.

Jasmin looks unbelievable, though. Superhuman!

She has less than 6miles to go now, and Eugeni is 8miles behind her, barring an accident it is in the bag with a big course record. She's a superstar!

Barring an accident or disastrous nav errors (less likely these days with GPS devices), I also think Eugeni definitely has 2nd place. But it's an exceptional year, so I think Enduro might be content to take 3rd. He needs to keep an eye behind him too, as John Knapp in 4th has been going well.

Has been nice to see Enduro being a bit more sensible with sleep/rest this year, he has been more strategic than usual I think...
    They just put up a little video of him leaving Bellingham CP just now, he seems in good spirits :)

They just put up a little video of him leaving Bellingham CP just now, he seems in good spirits :)

Snap, he looks to be in great form heading onto the Cheviots and like the true gent that he is, he said that he's very very impressed by Jasmine smashing his record to pieces saying that "it's a phenomenal piece of running"

Enduro's lead has shrunk though. He needs a good stretch now and hope that Knapp is shagged as well. Hopefully he hangs on for 3rd. Lads, to suggest anything else was on these last 24 hours is wishful thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

She finished a short while ago there. 83.12.23. Smashing the previous record in the process and in great knick at the finish line. What an athlete.

Hang on in there Enduro.

• Advertisement
Advertisement