Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ultra Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

Hi guys, probably a stupid question but I’ve signed up for the connemarathon ultra as my first and been following the training plan on the site for the last few weeks and all good so far, just this Saturday it says ‘Time Trial’, now I assume this is running as fast as I can but it doesn’t mention a distance or maybe I’m being silly and can’t see it. Can anyone offer some advice?. Thanks. Link to the plan below.

http://www.connemarathon.com/18-weeks/ultra.pdf

It's a generic plan, so don't sweat it. Whatever you do won't be "wrong". If it were me, I'd do a Tempo run of some sort (Not 100% as fast as you can, but working hard over 20 - 40 minutes, or something like that).

Anyway, the reason I was on this thread...

A funny little article on runner's world here. Personally speaking, the results sound like crap to me, but maybe the underlying trends do exist in general and I'm the oddball!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Enduro wrote: »
    Anyway, the reason I was on this thread...

A funny little article on runner's world here. Personally speaking, the results sound like crap to me, but maybe the underlying trends do exist in general and I'm the oddball!

Good luck with the Spine! Am looking forward to watching the dots and the videos.

Good luck with the Spine! Am looking forward to watching the dots and the videos.

Thanks!. Must try and do a preview.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Coming up to 72 hours in the Spine Race.
    Live tracking http://live.thespinerace.com/

Enduro in a solid 3rd place about 20 miles behind the 2 leaders having taken a good few hours more sleep than them. He should arrive at Greenhead checkpoint in the next few mins.

Jasmine Paris is storming it, and with just 30 miles to the finish she should be well inside Enduro's course record of 95 hours. She has about 8km over Eugeni who is currently resting at the final major checkpoint in Bellingham.

Best of luck to all on the final leg.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Advertisement

Enduro straight through that checkpoint, must be determined to chase down 2nd place!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Itziger

Enduro looked in a spot of bother there in a clip from a C.P. I saw earlier (think it was yesterday morning). Looked quite stiff/sore. Didn't realise they were nearing the end. I'd say he'd be happy with podium at this stage, no?

Some win for your one if she can hold on.

Enduro straight through that checkpoint, must be determined to chase down 2nd place!

Just checked there. He's 20 miles behind the Catalan, man!! That would be the chase to end all chases.

Itziger wrote: »

Just checked there. He's 20 miles behind the Catalan, man!! That would be the chase to end all chases.

Catalan man is taking some much delayed sleep right now. Agree it is unlikely he will be caught, but it would be great if Enduro could put him under pressure. First 3 may all finish inside course record if conditions hold up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Jasmine Paris is storming it, and with just 30 miles to the finish she should be well inside Enduro's course record of 95 hours. She has about 8km over Eugeni who is currently resting at the final major checkpoint in Bellingham.

Inspiring is a word that I think is bandied about too much but this lady is just that.

She's still breastfeeding so she's expressing while she's on the run. A woman has not won the spine outright since it was first staged in 2012 so it would be fantastic to see her get over the Cheviots and nail it.

If Enduro's course record is to be broken, I think that he'd be happy to see it broken by such an incredible athlete.

Check out her blog here.

Great to see Enduro get a well deserved podium too. The next 24 hours will make for interesting dot watching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Neady83 wrote:
    She's still breastfeeding so she's expressing while she's on the run.

This is just incredible! Thanks for sharing the blog link, will be a good read later!

To be fair, Enduro did predict a possible win and course record for Jasmin in his race preview!

https://eoinkeith.wordpress.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Follow the dots here. Watching it when I can on and off all day. Did not realise who Enduro was until now - face reddens. 18 miles and pretty steady between Eugeni (2nd) and Eoin (3rd).

Credit to James Thurlow for doing the sums on this one

50041741_10155708308876695_9117098641687838720_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=dbffc9eeeecba308d6b8d5912c129b15&oe=5CCF8B6F

The difference between Enduros splits from his record setting run in 2016 and Jasmins splits from the race this year so far (though weather and therefore conditions underfoot play a part). She may well get in 11 hours ahead of the record.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

That's incredible performances from all of the top athletes, but if we have learned one thing from previous years is that funny things can and do happen right until the end in that race.

Enduro will put the pressure on and hope for a break, even if the gap looks insurmountable at the moment.

Jasmin looks unbelievable, though. Superhuman!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭ariana`

Neady83 wrote: »
    Inspiring is a word that I think is bandied about too much but this lady is just that.

She's still breastfeeding so she's expressing while she's on the run. A woman has not won the spine outright since it was first staged in 2012 so it would be fantastic to see her get over the Cheviots and nail it.

If Enduro's course record is to be broken, I think that he'd be happy to see it broken by such an incredible athlete.

Check out her blog here.

Great to see Enduro get a well deserved podium too. The next 24 hours will make for interesting dot watching.

Brilliant reading, thanks.

That's incredible performances from all of the top athletes, but if we have learned one thing from previous years is that funny things can and do happen right until the end in that race.

Enduro will put the pressure on and hope for a break, even if the gap looks insurmountable at the moment.

Jasmin looks unbelievable, though. Superhuman!

She has less than 6miles to go now, and Eugeni is 8miles behind her, barring an accident it is in the bag with a big course record. She's a superstar!

Barring an accident or disastrous nav errors (less likely these days with GPS devices), I also think Eugeni definitely has 2nd place. But it's an exceptional year, so I think Enduro might be content to take 3rd. He needs to keep an eye behind him too, as John Knapp in 4th has been going well.

Has been nice to see Enduro being a bit more sensible with sleep/rest this year, he has been more strategic than usual I think...
    They just put up a little video of him leaving Bellingham CP just now, he seems in good spirits :)

They just put up a little video of him leaving Bellingham CP just now, he seems in good spirits :)

Snap, he looks to be in great form heading onto the Cheviots and like the true gent that he is, he said that he's very very impressed by Jasmine smashing his record to pieces saying that "it's a phenomenal piece of running"

Enduro's lead has shrunk though. He needs a good stretch now and hope that Knapp is shagged as well. Hopefully he hangs on for 3rd. Lads, to suggest anything else was on these last 24 hours is wishful thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

She finished a short while ago there. 83.12.23. Smashing the previous record in the process and in great knick at the finish line. What an athlete.

Hang on in there Enduro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,962 ✭✭✭opus

Just checked the tracker this morning & looks like Enduro is heading for 2nd place as if I'm reading it right Eugeni has retired.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

opus wrote: »
    Just checked the tracker this morning & looks like Enduro is heading for 2nd place as if I'm reading it right Eugeni has retired.

Been following this all week and can believe he has had to retire 6km from the finish, He must have been in a bad way or injured.

boydkev wrote: »
    Been following this all week and can believe he has had to retire 6km from the finish, He must have been in a bad way or injured.

That is terrible news for the poor bloke. He must have been in a bad way not to be able to make 6k after doing 400+.

boydkev wrote:

Gutted and heartbroken for the guy, 6km to go. He contributed to this being probably one of the best Spine races forever and for that he won't be forgotten.

Keep going Enduro, he may still break 100 hours and have the second and third fastest time on the Spine ever.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Jasmine Parris will be on BBC Breakfast in a couple of minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

That is terrible news for the poor bloke. He must have been in a bad way not to be able to make 6k after doing 400+.

The toughness of these individuals is off the chart. It must take a lot to make them retire from a race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Eugeni's splits were very good at Hut 2, about 4km before he retired. Really disappointed for the guy. Lots of Irish interest still in the race.

Yep. I am really sorry for him. He ran a great race.

There is a recent post under "visitor posts" on the fb page, where someone describes the HUT2 team helping Eugeni on his arrival, then another group starting him on the final stretch after he seemed in better shape ...they were surprised he hadn't been able to do those last miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Well done Enduro...95:46:44 incredible...

https://www.facebook.com/TheSpineRace/videos/232228557699558/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,195 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

robinph wrote: »
    Jasmine Parris will be on BBC Breakfast in a couple of minutes.

She was on 5 Live last night too. Approx 17:56 mins in.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m00021f8

Advertisement