Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yellow vest movement ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭Suckler

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    *Utter silence about the vultures funds*

Yes...it has nothing to do with TV licenses...

You were trying insinuate they were on the same level.

'Quibble quibble' indeed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Suckler wrote: »
    Yes...it has nothing to do with TV licenses...

You were trying insinuate they were on the same level.

'Quibble quibble' indeed.

No. I wasn't.

I was illustrating how an Irish government can, and does, enact legislation to enable citizens to be chased to the extent that they get a criminal record for minor amount of money after another poster claimed that the 250 million a year Vulture Funds are allowed to neglect to pay in tax is a drop in the bucket.

But sure, do keep going on about TV licences as if they were the main point and ignore the actual point that foreign multinationals making millions in Ireland, from Irish taxpayers, are not being subjected to Irish taxes on their profits.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

As another poster has said, nothing stopping you putting yourself up for election. Then rabbit on about vulture funds to your hearts content, and I'm sure the population will appreciate how clever you are and will vote for you. Meanwhile the rest of us pay our debts and aren't too concerned about people who haven't being pursued for what they owe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

The benefits of automation are clearly not being distributed amongst the remaining employees

When unions were strong they could get 5% wage increases for 5% productivity increases which coupled productivity to wages.

The graph confuses me a bit though because increases in productivity means more stuff, and therefore you would expect that wages in real terms would grow. Somebody has to buy the more stuff. Not shown here I suppose is the increase in compensation for the top 20% (which probably exceeded GDP growth on average).

hmmm wrote: »
    As another poster has said, nothing stopping you putting yourself up for election. Then rabbit on about vulture funds to your hearts content, and I'm sure the population will appreciate how clever you are and will vote for you. Meanwhile the rest of us pay our debts and aren't too concerned about people who haven't being pursued for what they owe.

The Yellow vests are supremely undemocratic, and just yet another manifestation of the Left's appalling ignorance and patronising behaviour in trying to fight elections through street protests.

The yellow vests are considered right wing in France. Or non ideological but fed up.

Nothing wrong with street protest anyway.

• Advertisement

Edgware wrote: »
    SF are all over the place. They play the strong republican line in Tyrone Armagh etc, the left wing line in the working class areas in the cities and then the slightly left of centre vacated by Labour in middle class areas. If you dont stand for someting you dont stand for anything.

They are all over the shop - trying to be a modern FF catch all. Don’t think it will work as the division between the leafy suburbs and the workers is a chasm these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Or non ideological but fed up.
    "Fed up" is politics for children. They have put forward their proposals and they are a joke. Meanwhile they are disrupting the lives of people who aren't interested in their state of perpetual teen angst.

hmmm wrote: »

May you and yours always be Alright Jack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

"Vulture" funds exist because people don't pay what they've said they'll pay. If everyone paid their debts, there would be zero need for "vulture" funds.

"Vulture" funds exist because people don't pay what they've said they'll pay. If everyone paid their debts, there would be zero need for "vulture" funds.

How, exactly, does that justify vulture funds not being taxed on their profits?

I am genuinely amazed at the lengths some people are going to to brush aside the fact that Irish subsidiaries of multi-national investment corporations are being allowed to pay a pittance in tax.

"drop in the bucket"
    "but... but...other people's debts"

Seriously? Are people really ok with this??

• Advertisement

How, exactly, does that justify vulture funds not being taxed on their profits?

I am genuinely amazed at the lengths some people are going to to brush aside the fact that Irish subsidiaries of multi-national investment corporations are being allowed to pay a pittance in tax.

"drop in the bucket"
    "but... but...other people's debts"

Seriously? Are people really ok with this??

I don't work for Revenue, so I've no idea how much Cerberus or any other fund pays in taxes. If they pay less through tax avoidance, that's their right unless we change the law. If it is tax evasion, then they should be chased for it and fined.

I don't work for Revenue, so I've no idea how much Cerberus or any other fund pays in taxes. If they pay less through tax avoidance, that's their right unless we change the law. If it is tax evasion, then they should be chased for it and fined.

"We" don't write the laws.
    Revenue doesn't write the laws.
    Government writes the laws = ergo they are the one's who have failed to enact legislation to enable Revenue to collect taxes from vulture funds that reflect the profits they make in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

The yellow vests are considered right wing in France. Or non ideological but fed up.

Nothing wrong with street protest anyway.

I read an article which had surveyed them and something like 40% were Le Pen voters. However there are a lot from other political groupings.

This article discusses how the far right/left are trying to influence/hijack the protests.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/16/world/europe/france-national-front-yellow-vests.html

"We" don't write the laws.
    Revenue doesn't write the laws.
    Government writes the laws = ergo they are the one's who have failed to enact legislation to enable Revenue to collect taxes from vulture funds that reflect the profits they make in Ireland.

“We” vote for the government to represent us.

“We” vote for the government to represent us.

So "we" write legislation do "we"?
    And make all the decisions?

I continue to be amazed how people (not saying you personally) in AH can get so worked up about so-called "dole spongers" and are so sanguine about vulture funds not paying taxes on profits.

Was there a protest today?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

No it was too cold and the FA Cup was on the telly ;)

I continue to be amazed how people (not saying you personally) in AH can get so worked up about so-called "dole spongers" and are so sanguine about vulture funds not paying taxes on profits.

“We” choose the ones that write the legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

No they ran out of Epi-Pens

First one put on a yellow vest and got an allergic reaction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

We do. It is not written by a dictator, a monarch, a theocratic elite, or a politburo. But by us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Numbers up today in France from the last couple of weeks, showing, I think, that it really is just a weekend hobby, or social outing for those without something better like sport or other leisure to pass their time, who took a couple of weeks off over the holidays, but are now back out again. Its probably just a fad, like line dancing, yoyos, or putting down your own decking. They will move on to something else soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

And I'm saying I shouldn't have to.
    If I had wanted to go into politics I would have done so a long time ago. That doesn't mean I cannot call truth to power.

Every elector has the right, and the duty, call our representatives to task for not doing their job in the exact same was as if we fail to do our jobs we can be called to task by our employers.

It's part of our role as electors to hold those we elect to account. Not just at the ballot box - that's lazy - but every day. That's democracy.
    You can hold them to account for sure, but that doesn't mean that they have to agree with you or support you. No honest politician can agree with all their constituents, though some have pretended to in the past.

If they respectfully disagree with your position, as they presumably do, they are perfectly correct to ignore you and move along with their own platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

An odd collection of the usual suspects, thugs and scumbags .

These sorts really put off decent people from legitimate protest

• Registered Users Posts: 7,928 ✭✭✭Patser

Is there a protest planned for today? Just passed about 30 people in yellow jackets outside Custom House with about 15 bored looking Gardai watching on. Everyone of the group was on their phone with that look of a lad on his own in the pub, ringing all his mates that promised to be there. 2 tricolours and 1 big Jobpath banner, and that's about it to suggest what's going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Patser wrote: »
    Is there a protest planned for today? Just passed about 30 people in yellow jackets outside Custom House with about 15 bored looking Gardai watching on. Everyone of the group was on their phone with that look of a lad on his own in the pub, ringing all his mates that promised to be there. 2 tricolours and 1 big Jobpath banner, and that's about it to suggest what's going on.

There is supposed to be one in Waterford today. Maybe one in Kilkenny at the end of the month. Not sure about Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,928 ✭✭✭Patser

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    There is supposed to be one in Waterford today. Maybe one in Kilkenny at the end of the month. Not sure about Dublin.

Just heard through work they tried to block the Port tunnel - they had blocked it just before Christmas- but Gardai intercepted them en route. Tunnel had to close just for a few minutes as a precaution.

Normal practice, can't get enough people to protest to get attention, pull a stunt to get attention some other way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Patser wrote: »
    Just heard through work they tried to block the Port tunnel - they had blocked it just before Christmas- but Gardai intercepted them en route. Tunnel had to close just for a few minutes as a precaution.

Normal practice, can't get enough people to protest to get attention, pull a stunt to get attention some other way.

Stunts like this can turn people off of movements. The organizers here need to hash out a code of conduct and blocking major roads and public offenses will not be tolerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

They've put a lot of work into development of their policy platform in the UK it seems, with their demands for child abuse, rape and murder of our children, pentioners (sic) living in poverty and veterans suicide.

https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/1084118308696268801

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

https://www.thejournal.ie/yellow-vest-protest-4441803-Jan2019/

Poor souls.

About 20 turned up earlier and they got angry at the no shows:)

• Advertisement

Advertisement