Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Open 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

What a point to win!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Ah here, that last point, is there really something wrong with his hip?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Floppybits wrote: »
    Ah here, that last point, is there really something wrong with his hip?

It will hurt in the morning!

Poor choice of shot there, critical points here.

Could this be it now.

• Advertisement

It will hurt in the morning!

It will take him till Wimbledon to recover from this match.

I think that’s it. Herculean effort but going to come up short.

I think that’s it. Herculean effort but going to come up short.

Bautista Agut needed a good hold there. Unfortunately its all over now. Some value for a outside court ticket.

It's sad

Hard to watch.

• Advertisement

such emotional scenes here as he prepares to serve , and it's still not over ...

Putting positive spin on it, maybe better this way as really, how much further could he have gone? He was amazing today and lots of hope if he can somehow get back in one piece, sheer desire and will to perform is amazing.

And still he battles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Putting positive spin on it, maybe better this way as really, how much further could he have gone? He was amazing today and lots of hope if he can somehow get back in one piece, sheer desire and will to perform is amazing.

100%

I'd imagine he'd have pulled out anyhow after this. The tournament needed RBA to progress really, who I wouldn't totally write off making a quarter here

What an effort by Murray though, and some way to bow out if this is is his last match

It aint over ......

... till it's over ...

jr86 wrote: »
    100%

I'd imagine he'd have pulled out anyhow after this. The tournament needed RBA to progress really, who I wouldn't totally write off making a quarter here

What an effort by Murray though, and some way to bow out if this is is his last match

I don't think it is his last match, he wont play again till Wimbledon and will play his last match there, more than likely on Centre Court and who could begrudge him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Emotional stuff. More evidence that the Big 4 will be a hard act to follow. Even in a loss, that was epic

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Floppybits wrote: »
    I don't think it is his last match, he wont play again till Wimbledon and will play his last match there, more than likely on Centre Court and who could begrudge him.

hmm, if he is clearly crocked and takes his place in what amounts to an honourary first round match, which he loses, he would want to donate his appearance fee to whomever poor lowby he bumped off the match..otherwise, why not.

hopefully he is fit enough to give it the effort he gave today, which was immense

They all seem a lot more convinced he won’t be back than Andy himself. He didn’t fully play along with the retirement angle did he?

People go on about how Murray underachieved but they are comparing him to guys who won a ridiculous amount of slams,
    He has 3 slams (2 Wimbledon 1 USO) and 2 Olympic Golds.
    Also was #1 during the Nadal,Federer, Djokovic era.

Fantastic achievements.

• Advertisement

lostcat wrote: »
    hmm, if he is clearly crocked and takes his place in what amounts to an honourary first round match, which he loses, he would want to donate his appearance fee to whomever poor lowby he bumped off the match..otherwise, why not.

hopefully he is fit enough to give it the effort he gave today, which was immense

Yeah I dunno would it be Murray's style to turn up and play if it was clear he wasn't going to be competitive, just to get a nice send off?

I'd imagine he would try and play a few events in the meantime and will want to actually give it a go

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

It's a shame that Murray will end up on 3 slams, based on his talent I think he should've ended up with 6 or 7. Imagine if he was five years younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Bubblegummers

It's a shame that Murray will end up on 3 slams, based on his talent I think he should've ended up with 6 or 7. Imagine if he was five years younger.

Only reason is cause the era he competed in. Top tier of Nole , Rafa , Roger ,Stan with the likes of Sasha and Thiem coming through the past 2 3byers l.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

People go on about how Murray underachieved but they are comparing him to guys who won a ridiculous amount of slams,
    He has 3 slams (2 Wimbledon 1 USO) and 2 Olympic Golds.
    Also was #1 during the Nadal,Federer, Djokovic era.

Fantastic achievements.

he also reached a huge number of finals and semis - I've seen people comparing him to Wawrinka because they both won 3 slams, but Murrays overall record is streets ahead of Stan's.

EDIT - just checked and he's in the all-time top 10 for quarters and semis reached and matches played at Grand Slams.

Agree, 100%

I think the Wimbledon final in 16 was the only slam final where he didn’t play someone ranked above him. I think it was also the first slam overall where Murray was ever a favourite at any stage. That’s mental for a player who was ranked number 2 quite a bit by that stage. It was the only slam he ever really got a stroke of luck in

People look at this particular injury and how it has prematurely ended his career but many forgot Murray had to essentially write off a season in 2014 due to his back. Back then he was 26/27 bang in his prime years and had gotten over the first slam hurdle and first Wimbledon hurdle

Its hard to look at any of the slams he played in and say it was a clear chance missed. His loss against nadal at W’don 2011 was disappointing as he had Nadal at his mercy in the second set and I really think he had progressed to a better grass player than Nadal at that point, but lost it mainly upstairs.

It would have been nice to pick up an AO somewhere but any year he played well it coincided with peak-Djokovic. Funnily enough its probably been his best slam historically in terms of consistent high performances.

loyatemu wrote: »
    he also reached a huge number of finals and semis - I've seen people comparing him to Wawrinka because they both won 3 slams, but Murrays overall record is streets ahead of Stan's.

EDIT - just checked and he's in the all-time top 10 for quarters and semis reached and matches played at Grand Slams.

I don't know why people are comparing him to Stan, maybe it is the 3 slams they both have but Murray has been a better more consistent player than Stan. His record is

3 - Grand slams
    2 - Olympic golds
    11 - Grand slam final appearances

Stan's record is

3 - Grand Slams
    4 - Grand Slam Final appearances.

If I was to look at ATP titles won between the 2, Murray is streets ahead. 11 Grand slam final appearances in the era of Federer, Nadal and Djokovic is unreal.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Murray's also finished in the top 4 for nine consecutive seasons. It's only Murray's detractor's who try to state their career's are comparable, anybody who actually follows the sport knows that Murray's career is streets ahead of Wawrinka's.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,495 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Any more Murray tears today?

walshb wrote: »
    Any more Murray tears today?

Nearly but not quite. Like in Jerry Maguire they did everything they could to get him to spill but while voice cracked a bit, he didn’t oblige. Didn’t even give them the satisfaction of officially announcing his retirement as they clearly wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,574 ✭✭✭✭josip

Sad to see Murray's career end prematurely.
    It would have been nice to see what he would have won if he'd been able to play to the end.
    Nobody had more heart or commitment.

Advertisement