Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IKEA TRÅDFRI

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,673 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

ted1 wrote: »
    Seem to be only light blinds that provide shade from the sun as opposed to thermal black out blinds. I guess weight is sn issue.
    IKEA wrote:
    With the included remote control or the IKEA TRÅDFRI app in the smartphone, the blinds can be adjusted without you having to get up from bed. The darkening special fabric does not let light through - perfect for the bedroom.

That's the google translation from the German site for the FYRTUR blinds - https://www.ikea.com/de/de/catalog/products/40408196/?query=Fyrtur

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Got 2 GU10s to test out, was a pain to get them paired. Have a spot light in the same room as the hue hub and what I had to do was get a 4m cat 5 cable and an extension cable, plug in, plug the bulb in and turn the lights on and off 6 times at which point the bulb blinks to show factory reset and then climb a ladder. Then using the Hue Lights app use touch link to pair a bulb while pointing the blue circle of the hub towards the light about an inch away.

Once that all worked I was able to move the bulbs out to the porch.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

Got 2 GU10s to test out, was a pain to get them paired. Have a spot light in the same room as the hue hub and what I had to do was get a 4m cat 5 cable and an extension cable, plug in, plug the bulb in and turn the lights on and off 6 times at which point the bulb blinks to show factory reset and then climb a ladder. Then using the Hue Lights app use touch link to pair a bulb while pointing the blue circle of the hub towards the light about an inch away.

Once that all worked I was able to move the bulbs out to the porch.

I had 20+ of them to do. I made up a gu10 fitting with a plug on the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Individual lights can be bought now from Ikea for delivery..

Anyone integrated the gu10s with Hue? Wonder what the experience was? Conflicting stories online..

Just read the two immediate posts above. That sounds like a pain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

lawred2 wrote:
    Anyone integrated the gu10s with Hue? Wonder what the experience was? Conflicting stories online..

I have three in the hall on a hue sensor with no issues

Simona1986 wrote: »
    I have three in the hall on a hue sensor with no issues

How was the pairing process?

lawred2 wrote:
    How was the pairing process?

No issues at all, I followed a YouTube guide and it was done in a few minutes. It was long enough ago that I can't remember but it wasn't hard

No issues at all, I followed a YouTube guide and it was done in a few minutes. It was long enough ago that I can't remember but it wasn't hard

Ok that's good to hear. I'd need about eight of them

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

lawred2 wrote:
    Ok that's good to hear. I'd need about eight of them

I put 9 on mine when it came out first

I paired them all in one go. I haven't even used them all yet.

It might be easier now, but pairing them to the hue app was hard, flicking power on and off etc

I bought the hue essentials app for 3 euro. It mimicked the Ikea hubs pairing button. Worked very well. I used a marker and named them IKEA 1 to IKEA 9

I also wired a gu10 to a plug top and lead so I didn't have to juice them in the ceiling.

Again it's probably easier now.

My only issue was , I've one in the porch. I had to put in a hue lamp nearer to it to pick it up.

They are fine, not as good as the Philips lamp, but it's all I'll buy going forward for white gu10s such good value

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I had a very poor experience with the €7/8 GU10's. I ended up replacing them with Hue GU10's and much happier now.

Others though have had better experience, so it seems to depend. I'd recommend just buying one or two first to try out and then if your happy get more. I wouldn't recommend getting 8 straight off.

bk wrote: »
    I had a very poor experience with the €7/8 GU10's. I ended up replacing them with Hue GU10's and much happier now.

Others though have had better experience, so it seems to depend. I'd recommend just buying one or two first to try out and then if your happy get more. I wouldn't recommend getting 8 straight off.

Wonder would tradfri bulbs with more recent firmware result in a better experience

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

lawred2 wrote: »
    Wonder would tradfri bulbs with more recent firmware result in a better experience

I was thinking exactly that. It is certainly possible.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

My experience:
    GU10's and E14 that I bought in the last year paired instantly by following this procedure:
    1) Disconnect all Philips Hue & IKEA TRFRI lamps (I turned off the MCBs to do this).
    2) Power up one lamp at a time to pair right beside the Hue bridge. I made up a lamp holder with a plug on the end of it especially for this purpose.
    3) Once paired disconnect it from the mains supply and move on to the next one.

Earlier versions of IKEA TRFRI I found more difficult to pair. About 1 in 10 IKEA TRFRI lamps seem to fail but IKEA gave me a full refund even when receipts were missing without any argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I have loads of Ikea GU10s on my hue bridge. I made up a lamp holder too but find the the most reliable way to pair them is by using touchlink on the All4hue app on Android. I didn't bother disconnecting all hue/ikea bulbs while pairing and all went fine.

Also had good results with these led strip controllers - much cheaper than buying Hue strips .

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

lawred2 wrote: »

They're replacing the GU10s (at some point - the Zigbee cert for the new one is done anyway) so I suspect there's some issues that firmware can't sort.

digitaldr wrote:
    led strip controllers - much cheaper than buying Hue strips .
    Recommended any particular strips to go with them? Do you need to wire up the controller to a plug?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭donny

I picked up 6 of the GU10s maybe a month ago, so the firmware was relatively recent. I tried pairing them one by one with the Hue hub but wasn't really getting anywhere.

I saw a tip somewhere online that I followed.

I just used the standard Hue app, and started the search for new lights. I waited for a couple of seconds and then powered on all the lights together and all 6 showed up first time. They were all in place in their permanent location at the other end of the house and I hadn't disconnected any of my Hue bulbs either.

This worked with adding other Tradfri bulbs later, in place adding several together. Much easier than trying them one by one with a GU10 adaptor.

2011 wrote: »
    My experience:
    GU10's and E14 that I bought in the last year paired instantly by following this procedure:
    1) Disconnect all Philips Hue & IKEA TRFRI lamps (I turned off the MCBs to do this).
    2) Power up one lamp at a time to pair right beside the Hue bridge. I made up a lamp holder with a plug on the end of it especially for this purpose.
    3) Once paired disconnect it from the mains supply and move on to the next one.

Earlier versions of IKEA TRFRI I found more difficult to pair. About 1 in 10 IKEA TRFRI lamps seem to fail but IKEA gave me a full refund even when receipts were missing without any argument.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

L1011 wrote: »
    They're replacing the GU10s (at some point - the Zigbee cert for the new one is done anyway) so I suspect there's some issues that firmware can't sort.

There are new GU10's showing on the website now, but not yet in stock anywhere as far as I can tell. Local store has just had progressively empty shelves for Tradfri stuff then last few times I've passed through.

Want to setup a few more Tradfri lights around the house, but the number of weird light fittings that we currently have is a bit of a pain. Have pretty much every combination of E/B/14/27 and GU9/10 in different places and some other ones I've yet to properly identify and dimmer switches where I really would rather we didn't but I'm told that how pretty the switch is is more important than the functionality of the lights?!?! Grrrr.

Recommended any particular strips to go with them? Do you need to wire up the controller to a plug?

I tried them with a cheap 12 volt strip off Amazon and a better 24 volt one from a local shop - both worked fine. Just need to wire the controller betwern the power supply and the strip.

• Advertisement

I just paired 3 Trafri E27 colour bulbs with Hue today without any hassle... worked first time. Maybe the GU10s are different.

Didn't have the full spectrum white GU10s in Ikea today so I haven't tested them out.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

donny wrote: »
    I picked up 6 of the GU10s maybe a month ago, so the firmware was relatively recent. I tried pairing them one by one with the Hue hub but wasn't really getting anywhere.

I saw a tip somewhere online that I followed.

I just used the standard Hue app, and started the search for new lights. I waited for a couple of seconds and then powered on all the lights together and all 6 showed up first time. They were all in place in their permanent location at the other end of the house and I hadn't disconnected any of my Hue bulbs either.

This worked with adding other Tradfri bulbs later, in place adding several together. Much easier than trying them one by one with a GU10 adaptor.

That is interesting.
    Perhaps mine were using older firmware and your newer version works seamlessly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭v10

Purchased a bunch of TRÅDFRI E14 LED Bulbs and GU10 LED Bulbs today and paired them without any issues with my Hue Bridge using the touchlink feature in the Hue Lights app (iPhone)

I see Ikea now have white spectrum GU10s and E27s - not sure if they work with Hue but probably will. Personally wouldn't bother with them as quite happy with the standard ones.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Power cut overnight, came back at 5:50am and we got woken up by a lovely fade in from off on *every sodding bulb in the house* and the gateway not being online yet to shout at Google to turn them off and leave us snooze.

This kit has some downsides!

Advertisement