Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IKEA TRÅDFRI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

mossym wrote: »
    to give the opposite experience, i installed 4 tradfri gu10s in one of my rooms on monday. already have hue in other rooms but not gu10's so decided to try the tradfri. installed them, power cycled 6 times as per instructions, scanned with hue app, found immediately, created a hue and alexa group and now working perfectly, exactly as hue bulbs, at a fraction the price.

absolutely no hesitation in recommending these

Exactly same for me, I've not tried the other accessories but the bulbs work perfectly with the hue sensor and switch

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

digitaldr wrote: »
    I've found that Ikea Tradfri bulbs work very well with Hue but can be tricky to reset and pair. For resetting follow the official ikea video for timings of the on and offs - watch the light
    and not the numbers!

The hue hub found GU10s fairly quickly - not so the the 1000 lumen E27s! In the end I used touchlink on an old iPad (my only apple device) with instant success. As the name suggests the hub and bulb need to be touching so a lamp with a long wire +/- long ethernet cable from the hub to the router might be needed. There's no android touchlink app but apparently there's a Windows version which I haven't tried.

Touchlink available in the "Hue Essentials" android app..that's how I eventually got tradfri E14s connected to my hue hub.....there was a video on YouTube I found that showed it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I've had a bad experience with the Ikea €7 GU10's and Hue. I've since replaced them with Hues and they are far superior:

- They took me about two hours to sync just two bulbs, even with the above guide, a complete pain.
    - They would fail to turn on at least once a week via motion sensor and you had to use the physical switch to get them working again.
    - Their brightness range is terrible. They don't go anywhere near as bright as Hues, nor do they go nearly as low at the other end.

Having said all that, this may only apply to these particular cheap bulbs, the rest might be fine.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

surprised there is so much trouble, part of the instructions i read said move your hue bridge close to the lights, mine was all the way the other side of the house through 3 concrete walls and it still worked first time

these were the cheap 7 euro ones as well.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

mossym wrote: »
    surprised there is so much trouble, part of the instructions i read said move your hue bridge close to the lights, mine was all the way the other side of the house through 3 concrete walls and it still worked first time

these were the cheap 7 euro ones as well.

I literally put my Hue bridge on a long ethernet cable so I could hold it cm's from the bulbs, that's how desperate I got. Maybe I just got unlucky. Though really it was the other two points that had me give up on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Does anyone know how moisture proof the motion sensors are. Thinking of using one for a shower room

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Relatively happy now after ditching the wheels

Bedroom has three lamps on and a remote; pendant is still on switch with normal bulb as its rarely used.

Office room has a pendant on remote, need to get an E14 for a side lamp. Office use goes from Lego building through to nightcourse work so some major changes in light needs

Living room has a standard lamp with a warm white bulb, a reading lamp with E27 white spectrum bulb and a lamp on the mantlepiece with an E14 white spectrum bulb, allows warmer light but also the odd use of starker light for work. Pendant is now grouped on its own so can only be done with phone or over-riding via the switch.

Will put the kitchen under cabinet lights on a socket and the replacement ones on a driver when the sockets become available. Doubt I'll do any further indoor lighting; and I imagine there are more suitable outdoor lighting systems when the garden is eventually done. Now on to the heating controller...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭paulbok

Looks like smart blinds on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Unreal. I got quoted 10,000eur for blinds for our living room by a smart home company. Ridiculous amount. Mind you we need about 17m x 2.5 worth of blinds but still, 10 grand!

All I want is blinds compatible with Alexa!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Anyone been using the IKEA motion sensor with hue?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Anyone been using the IKEA motion sensor with hue?

I have the Ikea and the Hue one, the Hue one is way better. You don't get any visibility of the Ikea motion sensor in any of the apps and you configure it by twisting dials on the back. The hue one is configured in the app and also has a built in thermometer and light level sensor.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Limited number of control outlets - sockets in normal terms - in Ballymun but none of the cheap switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭calnand

L1011 wrote: »
    Limited number of control outlets - sockets in normal terms - in Ballymun but none of the cheap switch.

I was keeping an eye for them, they were saying they'd be in last week. Which would've been perfect when I was up Dublin. I did pick up a smart lock though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭paulbok

Ikea lights to connect to the Xiaomi system soon according to this.

Have you tried these yet? Just about to order one or two to be posted

thecivvie wrote: »
    Have you tried these yet? Just about to order one or two to be posted

The outlet? Yeah, but only in a really, really boring setup, either alone using the round five button remote or grouped with lights on same.

They work fine, its an actual switch so no voltage leakage which is a problem with most of the cheap Chinese wifi sockets - so it actually turns off USB charger devices, low power LED strings or other stuff like that.

They also work as a zigbee extender (all zigbee kit does, of course) so if you have a huge house and can't get signal from the hub to lights the other end of the gaff this is one of the cheaper options at the moment. Living in 2 story terrace means this isn't an issue for me.

And sadly out of stock :(

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭SemperFidelis

Plenty of the control outlets in stock now, got two for the christmas lights and both working well so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭nialldinho

Plenty of the control outlets in stock now, got two for the christmas lights and both working well so far.

Do you need to have the gateway to get these working?

I have some bulbs working with hue hub and google home so don’t want to have to get the ikea gateway too.

I have them on the ikea gateway and google home through that, no idea if you can operate them with the hue hub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭RunDMC

I have the same setup! "Ok, Google, turn on the Christmas lights."

R

Anyone know if the outlets are HomeKit compatible? presume they are like the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Murtimus

The outlets aren’t HomeKit compatible yet from what I’ve read, but they are working on it.

Do you have to have a dimmer or remote in order to set them up does anyone know?

Outlet showing as out of stock online. Only have a few things I want and none actually urgent and its clearly insanity to go there this close to Christmas - did anyone happen to be there today and see stock?

I am looking at the outlet alone option - the outlet and switch option is there but I know its not in at all yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

Outlet showing as out of stock online. Only have a few things I want and none actually urgent and its clearly insanity to go there this close to Christmas - did anyone happen to be there today and see stock?

I am looking at the outlet alone option - the outlet and switch option is there but I know its not in at all yet.

I checked the site on friday night and could have sworn it said they were in stock.
    So i went there sat morning. Shelf was empty and the girl said there were 2 there earlier in the day that were now gone. After a trip to the restaurant, I came back and another girl was unloading a trolley of odds n ends and happened to put 1 of them on the shelf. Someone must have decided they didn't need it and thrown it somewhere in the shop. So i took it... could have done with a few more though!

Anyway... sorry for the long winded story but they had none as of saturday :)

It actually wasnt too bad out there traffic wise - no worse than any other time of the year. There was one person ahead of me in the queue for the till. That was at 11.30am saturday - Id say people are more fussed about hitting the shopping centres at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,673 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I picked up 2 outlets on Thursday afternoon. There was one tray that was more or less full at that stage.

Have one controlling the Christmas lights, which is part of the group in the Living room with the 3 lights in there, so controlled via the on/off button on the Tradfri controller in the room or via google home by voice.

Wanted to use the other one for an Electric Blanket, but need to figure out how to set it to turn off 20 minutes after it's turned on, whenever it's turned on, so I can have that as part of the good night routine.

Murtimus wrote: »
    The outlets aren’t HomeKit compatible yet from what I’ve read, but they are working on it.

Do you have to have a dimmer or remote in order to set them up does anyone know?

Yes you need a remote to set them up

https://9to5mac.com/2019/01/06/ikea-smart-blinds-homekit/

Ikeas smart blinds are battery operated!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,271 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Rew wrote: »
    https://9to5mac.com/2019/01/06/ikea-smart-blinds-homekit/

Ikeas smart blinds are battery operated!

Seem to be only light blinds that provide shade from the sun as opposed to thermal black out blinds. I guess weight is sn issue.

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    Seem to be only light blinds that provide shade from the sun as opposed to thermal black out blinds. I guess weight is sn issue.

No there are 2 types:
    https://www.ikea.com/de/de/catalog/products/40408196/?query=Fyrtur
    https://www.ikea.com/de/de/catalog/products/20408116/?query=Kadrilj#/90408127

Advertisement