Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Is London no longer a proper city?

It's now part of West Essex.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Ipso wrote: »
    It's now part of West Essex.

Reeeeeeeeeem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

That’s seems like a procedural issue. Why not call it a city. Or a city and county (like San Francisco)*

Cities can contain sovereign entities like the Vatican so why not a city within a city, if they don’t want to abolish the City Of London.

* in the spirit of the thread, if you didn’t know that you do now.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,286 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

That’s seems like a procedural issue. Why not call it a city. Or a city and county (like San Francisco)*

Cities can contain sovereign entities like the Vatican so why not a city within a city, if they don’t want to abolish the City Of London.

* in the spirit of the thread, if you didn’t know that you do now.

well i suppose it is a procedural issue. Places in the uk are only called cities if the ruling monarch decides they are. Hence why some cities in the UK are tiny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

well i suppose it is a procedural issue. Places in the uk are only called cities if the ruling monarch decides they are. Hence why some cities in the UK are tiny.

Like Lisburn and Newry too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,286 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

368100 wrote: »

like i said, in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

like i said, in the UK.

I know Lisburn and Newry are in the UK.
    I'll reword....Lisburn and Newry are perfect examples of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Quazzie wrote: »
    The City of London is not the same thing as London City ;)

Exactly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_London

The West End is not located in The City of London.

City of London district in red:

1024px-City_of_London_in_Greater_London.svg.png

• Registered Users Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Is London no longer a proper city?

You just jumped to the end of the thread didn't you?
    Boards acting up, it showed up as the last post for me

368100 wrote: »

And Armagh.

• Advertisement

AllForIt wrote: »
    Exactly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_London

The West End is not located in The City of London.

City of London in red:

1024px-City_of_London_in_Greater_London.svg.png

The bits in cream aren't a city (apart from the City of Westminster).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,107 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

There are only 2 toll roads (bridges) in denmark, however they are the most expensive in the world, at €52 and €32 to use.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

retalivity wrote: »
    There are only 2 toll roads (bridges) in denmark, however they are the most expensive in the world, at €52 and €32 to use.

Give's a bit more detail on that will ye, I can't be googling.
    Is one of those a bridge that goes to Sweden (or somewhere)? Is that just one off single ticket price but it's much cheaper if you're an annual ticket buyer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

The bits in cream aren't a city (apart from the City of Westminster).

Then there is White City near Shepherd's Bush which also isn't a city!
    And they invented English.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,218 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

retalivity wrote: »

Imagine the moaning over here if we had those 2 roads!

But sure the Scandi's do everything brilliantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,107 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

humberklog wrote: »
    Give's a bit more detail on that will ye, I can't be googling.
    Is one of those a bridge that goes to Sweden (or somewhere)? Is that just one off single ticket price but it's much cheaper if you're an annual ticket buyer?

Yeah the 52€ one is the oresund bridge, the bridge/tunnel combo that goes from copenhagen on zeeland to malmo in sweden. The other one is the great belt bridge, that connects zeeland with the island of fyn, the one that had the accident on it earlier this week.

Theres an annual pass that will give you reduced prices on crossing, however it costs 43€ per year, and is 23 per crossing, only comes down to a fiver each way if crossing more than 16 times a month.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The Voyager probes of the 1970's that visited all the outer planets and are now both heading out into deep space carried a record to show any aliens who find it something of us, filled with music and song from around the world. The team really wanted to put the Beatles on it as the "pop" track, but after several requests their company said no. :eek: Apparently years later the actual band members who hadn't been told expressed a major WTF over that decision.

*Edit* their second choice for the one "pop" track was Chuck Berry's Johnny B. Goode, so he got the nod.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,202 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Lucky they didn't send 'Great balls of fire', might be misinterpreted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Water John wrote: »
    Lucky they didn't send 'Great balls of fire', might be misinterpreted.

Especially after all that stuff everyone realised about Jerry Lee Lewis..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Wibbs wrote: »
    The Voyager probes of the 1970's that visited all the outer planets and are now both heading out into deep space carried a record to show any aliens who find it something of us, filled with music and song from around the world. The team really wanted to put the Beatles on it as the "pop" track, but after several requests their company said no. :eek: Apparently years later the actual band members who hadn't been told expressed a major WTF over that decision.

*Edit* their second choice for the one "pop" track was Chuck Berry's Johnny B. Goode, so he got the nod.

Yes, fascinating. They are now in what is called "Interstellar Space" i.e. completely outside the designation of our solar system.

The very fist Star Trek Movie (1979) was about one of these coming back to earth after accumulating decades of knowledge and having gained unfathomable power. The crew are sent to investigate a powerful entity heading for earth presumably to destroy it but they find at the center of the entity the original "Voyager" probe. It was just coming back to find mommy and daddy, it's creator.

• Advertisement

Just cause I'm scrolling through channels and see Titanic is on again, might interest some to know that the main staircase on the Titanic has a twin. It was made for a building in the Vatican City but rejected, and resides now in Loftus Hall in Co. Wexford. A terrifying building mostly unhaunted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Just cause I'm scrolling through channels and see Titanic is on again, might interest some to know that the main staircase on the Titanic has a twin. It was made for a building in the Vatican City but rejected, and resides now in Loftus Hall in Co. Wexford. A terrifying building mostly unhaunted.

The mosaic floor in the entrance hall at the foot of the staircase took years to complete. To ensure the creators never made another, they had their hands chopped off.

The mosaic floor in the entrance hall at the foot of the staircase took years to complete. To ensure the creators never made another, they had their hands chopped off.

I'd have to look it up but I think that's an urban (rural?!) myth.
    ETA by look up I mean ask my friend who gets there about three times a year.

My mate replied to me that the staff at Loftus Hall say it's legend (I couldn't recall from my one visit). Then he added "even legends have a certain amount of truth to them" and I broke me hole laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Haha why would they agree to have their hands chopped off?

I'd have to look it up but I think that's an urban (rural?!) myth.
    ETA by look up I mean ask my friend who gets there about three times a year.

Hard to say. I have been on the official tour a few times and each guide has stated it as fact.

Haha why would they agree to have their hands chopped off?

I presume they didn't have a say in it :)

I imagine the idea was to prevent them making another floor like it so the one in Loftus Hall would be unique. Someone asked the guide "would that be sore?" on one of the tours.

Hard to say. I have been on the official tour a few times and each guide has stated it as fact.

Strange, my friend says he did the tour as was told it wasn't truth. I did a paranormal lockdown there and they told us it wasn't true. But they also said the place was haunted, so ummm....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Now I really want to see the floor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,096 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Someone asked the guide "would that be sore?" on one of the tours.

Must have been Joe Duffy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement