Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

New Home wrote: »
    Thanks for that. :)

Having said that, I do think it's unethical to experiment on animals, especially if it's "just to see what would happen if".

But isn’t every domesticated animal these days the result of experimintation (granted it was them getting jiggy in the paddock and not from some fella in a lab)?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

gozunda wrote: »
    Even unhatched eggs? Is an unhatched egg an 'animal'? And where the reseach has a purpose - then?

Yes, it is. It's not vegetable and it's not mineral, and it's not a fungus.
    Ipso wrote: »
    But isn’t every domesticated animal these days the result of experimintation (granted it was them getting jiggy in the paddock and not from some fella in a lab)?

Vivisection (et al) is wrong. Full stop. Lots of things that were done in the past (and produced various kinds of results) were acceptable then but are deemed unethical now and shouldn't have been allowed, ever. The end does NOT justify the means.

Anyway, we're derailing the thread again with our chicken talk...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

New Home wrote: »
    Lots of things that were done in the past (and produced various kinds of results) were acceptable then but are deemed unethical now and shouldn't have been allowed, ever. The end does NOT justify the means.

This is something which is debated even within the scientific community.

We saw a few weeks ago the news of the Chinese Scientist He Jiankui claiming to have produced the first gene edited babies using CRISPR technology. Even the pioneer of the technology, Jennifer Doudna, claimed she was horrified that it had been used in this way.
    I was listening to it being discussed on the Newstalk show Future Proof. The guest scientist was very much of a similar opinion to Doudna but the host, Jonathan McCrea, was in favour of what Jiankui had done. He said that many breakthroughs occurred because someone went against the norm and pushed the boundaries.

I am inclined to side with those that think it was borderline irresponsible. I think that just because you can do something does not necessarily mean that it should be done or that a single individual can make such a decision to proceed.

I am equally dubious when I see proponents of AI talk about how much it is going to change things and that it will be for the better. Of course I can see ways in which this could be the case but I can also see ways in which it can be misused (Cambridge Analytica anyone?) and would be concerned that in many cases it will be used primarily to generate profits either through selling it as a service (advertising markets) or to replace workers because the computer can make all decisions.

There should be a hippocratic type oath for engineers and technologists that what they are developing will be for the benefit of society, not just those who possess it. Wishful thinking probably when you look at the arms industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

It's an endearing story but its not a 2000 year old legend. It's an 84 year old legend.

This story was only invented in 1933, by a nutjob. He claimed he found ancient Hebrew texts that tell the story you layed out, and marks the grave sites of Jesus and his family. He also then claimed the Japanese government stole these texts in an international conspiracy, so that's why you can't look at them as proof.

It's a minor modern tourist attraction. Not an old legend unfortunately :(

Damn it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Raheem Euro

wtu6l88w72x11.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭KevRossi

In Russia you can celebrate New Years 11 times.

https://twitter.com/RT_com/status/1079754058175459333

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Little known fact, before the invention of the crowbar, crows had to do their drinking at home

Sesamoid bones are bones that are embedded in tendons or cartilage, and they protect the tendon from damage by acting as a 'spacer' between it and the joint. Sesamoid bones exist in a few joints in the human body, most notably in parts of the feet and fingers, and the largest sesamoid bones are the patellae.

Sesamoid bones harden in response to stress, and children are born with more bones that fuse and ossify as they grow in response to the stress of use. The patellae take about four or five years to fully calcify and as girls bones calcify sooner than boys and because growth is halted after calcification, this is why girls are usually shorter than boys. In essence, babies are born without kneecaps.

TL:DR Your baby has no knees.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Candie wrote: »
    Sesamoid bones are bones that are embedded in tendons or cartilage, and they protect the tendon from damage by acting as a 'spacer' between it and the joint. Sesamoid bones exist in a few joints in the human body, most notably in parts of the feet and fingers, and the largest sesamoid bones are the patellae.

Sesamoid bones harden in response to stress, and children are born with more bones that fuse and ossify as they grow in response to the stress of use. The patellae take about four or five years to fully calcify and as girls bones calcify sooner than boys and because growth is halted after calcification, this is why girls are usually shorter than boys. In essence, babies are born without kneecaps.

TL:DR Your baby has no knees.

I'm heading straight upstairs to examine my 5 month old

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Does that mean people who've been in a wheelchair from birth have no kneecaps?

• Advertisement

I'm heading straight upstairs to examine my 5 month old

Your baba has been kicking those legs since before they were born and more so since exercising those joints and stressing the sesamoids, development is well underway but will be completed by around age four! Baby humans are the most interesting things in the world, the changes in the first year alone are mind boggling!

Does that mean people who've been in a wheelchair from birth have no kneecaps?

Good question. It would severely compromise their development, since the joint is spared most of the stress that would normally occur. I don't really know what that would mean as to the extent of development.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,051 ✭✭✭✭Esel

wtu6l88w72x11.png
    Not getting that?

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Bananas get their curved shape via the process known as negative geotropism. They do not grow towards the ground, instead they turn towards the sun. They grow against gravity and this gives them their shape.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

At one point when the SS Warrimoo was crossing the equator part of the ship was in the Northern Hemisphere and part in the Southern.

But to the timing and location , This ship was therefore not only in two different days, two different months, two different seasons and two different years but in two different centuries-all at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

At one point when the SS Warrimoo was crossing the equator part of the ship was in the Northern Hemisphere and part in the Southern.

But to the timing and location , This ship was therefore not only in two different days, two different months, two different seasons and two different years but in two different centuries-all at the same time.

Spring starts in February >:( Gaelic seasonal calander ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 14,082 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

There was a fascist party in Ireland in the 40s called Ailtirí na hAiséirghe - they were a bit mental.

Among their aims were:
    The banning of English spoken in public
    The total revival of the Irish language across Ireland
    The removal of Jews from Irish society
    The rejection of Partition and the installation of a Christian-based dictatorship
    A miltary alluance with Italy to assist in their campaign in Ethiopia

The party had little support and went nowhere, but they did have a newspaper printed til 1970

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

My penis is perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Imbolg. Thanks, Brigid.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Arthur Wellesely, the 1st Duke of Wellington never made the horse and Stable comment about the Irish.

It was made of by Daniel O'Connell at a speech at Mullaghast in October 1843.

The quote in full is.

"The poor old Duke , what shall I say of him,. To be sure he was born in Ireland , but being born in a stable those not not make a man a horse."

In reality the Duke spent a lot his time here, he loved the hunting especially . He would refer to himself as an Irishman to people in Britain. He was always a constant defender of the Irish troops and Irish Regiment in the BA.

Many complaints were made about their behaviour during the running of the Empire.

Duke believed in Ireland and the Act of Union. One of the 4 founders of the Empire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Evade

Being in both the Northern and Southern hemispheres at the same time is what had it in two different seasons not being it two different years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Kiribati is the only contiguous country in the world to lie in 4 hemispheres; northern, Southern, Eastern and Western.

(France and the UK do as well, but these are dependencies of a nation rather than an of a country)

1.jpg

The official languages are English and Gilbertese, named after Thomas Gilbert, the first European to map the islands. It is thus one of the few official languages of a country that are named after an actual person.

When the Bible was translated into Gilbertese in the 1800#s they had to invent new words for things such as 'mountain' as the locals had never seen one, just heard rumors of them from Samoan traders.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Evade wrote: »
    Being in both the Northern and Southern hemispheres at the same time is what had it in two different seasons not being it two different years.
    It's apparently not true anyway.

Wikipedia says the story dates from 1942, while a contemporary newspaper article says she crossed the equator on 30 Dec 1899

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Esel wrote: »
    Not getting that?

It's meant to be funny, I think. It's not.

Usually comparisons are done between two different countries. Eg, the population of France and the density of Monaco might squeeze in to a tiny portion of France. But the population of France and the density of France = the area of France.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭its_steve116

The Chief from Where in the World is Carmen San Diego? was also the voice of Luna the Moon in Bear in the Big Blue House.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

quickbeam wrote: »
    It's meant to be funny, I think. It's not.

Usually comparisons are done between two different countries. Eg, the population of France and the density of Monaco might squeeze in to a tiny portion of France. But the population of France and the density of France = the area of France.

Looks like something from 'terrible maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

The Chief from Where in the World is Carmen San Diego? was also the voice of Luna the Moon in Bear in the Big Blue House.

Clancy Brown played sadistic prison officer in The Shawshank Redemption

2365116652213432473.jpeg___1_500_1_500_cb94de6a_.png

The Kurgan in Highlander

2c37dfd7a5e1685ae32870c3ccf7a7ad.jpg

Mr. Krabs in Spongebob Squarepants

MrKrabs.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Aresnal are playing Fulham at the moment.

On twitter it has the hashtag #Arsful (o.k. i'm childish).

"Grease" is also trending. (o.k. i'm extremely childish).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

The goofy burglar Marv from Home Alone was also the narrator on the Wonder Years. (was that said on here before?)

harrymarv-390x285.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

Kylie Minogue is a year older than Jacob Rees-Mogg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement