Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geoff Marshall / All The Stations

• 01-01-2019 1:29pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,195 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I've a lot of time for this guy's videos. Find them fun and informative - they show a public transport system that's very well-developed. He seems to have a lot of contacts/behind the scenes access too. Anyway, Ireland is on their list for 2019, it'll be interesting to see what they make of things in this part of the world.

Any other fans here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I've a lot of time for this guy's videos. Find them fun and informative - they show a public transport system that's very well-developed. He seems to have a lot of contacts/behind the scenes access too. Anyway, Ireland is on their list for 2019, it'll be interesting to see what they make of things in this part of the world.

Any other fans here?

Sound guy, chatted a few times off camera!

They will be rather impressed except for lack of PIS/Real Time/Non Rail Transport Info and general communication.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭TheBody

Recently started to follow his videos on youtube. I really like them. Fun and informative.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,195 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Has anyone watched the full All The Stations doc? I've not done so yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

I wonder what they will make of the Nenagh branch?

I wonder what they will make of the Nenagh branch?

Nenagh and Waterford and Limerick Junction will go down well, old signalling, cabins, jointed track.

Lets hope Irish Ral don't embarrass themselves by having bus transfers in operation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

If someone would stop stealing the ETS cables it would help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

They are a coming to Ireland (North and South) and the Kickstarter hit its target in just around an hour.

Watched all the videos of the All The Stations and really enjoyed them, its a great look at the railways in Britain and hopefully, they will do the same here. I liked it so, much I bought the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Nenagh and Waterford and Limerick Junction will go down well, old signalling, cabins, jointed track.

Lets hope Irish Ral don't embarrass themselves by having bus transfers in operation.

Lets hope not https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109048948&postcount=2948

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,195 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

mrsoundie wrote: »
    They are a coming to Ireland (North and South) and the Kickstarter hit its target in just around an hour.

Watched all the videos of the All The Stations and really enjoyed them, its a great look at the railways in Britain and hopefully, they will do the same here. I liked it so, much I bought the book.

Yeah, I caught some of the Q&A video, they're doing the Luas and DART. Glad the funding was successful. Have to admit was a little surprised I first stumbled up on the channel originally, that there'd be so much interest in train nerds, but hey, that's the internet. It's their style and knowledge that make it worth watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Not even a train nerd but still watch him from time to time.

His Guinness attempts are a good lark.

• Advertisement

I also watch Paul's Trip Reports. His main videos are largely aviation focused, but his train stuff makes me want to try those trips too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I prefer his more edited stuff for the Londinist. I'm sure he and Vicki are lovely people but they start to grate on me after a while. I wish they didn't because I like the idea of what they do.

They started this morning (07.20 ex Rosslare).

Decent smattering of shots on their Instagram, good shots too. https://www.instagram.com/allthestations/

They've been lucky with the good weather. From Twitter, they're doing Cork today and it seems we'll have the first video around 7pm tonight. :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

First video is now up:

Unsurprisingly Barry Kenny makes an appearance, I'm sure that he will be telling them about how great Irish Rail are and how they are perfect at everything that they do, in his usual style.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,707 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Barry Goebbels would show up for the opening of an envelope.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Never seen any of their stuff before and it's refreshingly zany but not writing down the numbers of every railcar is unforgivable. :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Barry Goebbels would show up for the opening of an envelope.

I would accuse you of being my brother with that line, except he doesn't drink!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Episode 2: Wexford to Bray

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Louche Lad wrote: »
    Episode 2: Wexford to Bray

Episode 3 is also up from Bray to Howth

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It appears from the days marked off that they used a day on an Explorer ticket (~30 quid value) for a day entirely within the Leap capping zone; and they do have Leap cards already too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

One gets the feeling the reason Barry Kenny appeared in episode 1 was to hand over the tickets, as they were issued on the 22nd at 1007, but Geoff and Vicki appear to have arrived on the 1310 ferry from Fishguard just in time for Barry to get down from Dublin on the 1336.

Or maybe I'm overthinking this

One gets the feeling the reason Barry Kenny appeared in episode 1 was to hand over the tickets, as they were issued on the 22nd at 1007, but Geoff and Vicki appear to have arrived on the 1310 ferry from Fishguard just in time for Barry to get down from Dublin on the 1336.

Or maybe I'm overthinking this

He gave them other merchandise as well. Would have been very unprofessional if IE hadn't sent anybody to meet them.

IE definitely recognise the promotional value of this; even if they gave the tickets to them (and the other stuff they've shown like the tie and the travel mugs) its still extremely cheap PR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Vicki is confused between milepost and speed restriction board.

The 6MP on Wexford Quay is actually six miles from Rosslare Strand, not 6 mph.

The actual speed limit there is 5 mph.

Nevertheless, a very refreshing programme, I love their enthusiasm.

Episode 4: Dublin to Tralee
    https://youtu.be/c-eSSjKSygw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

They're on Ray D'Arcy on RTE Radio 1 now.

Episode 5: Tralee to Cobh.
    https://youtu.be/tavLt_MY7rM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Quite impressed at how well the rail network comes across in the videos.

Advertisement