Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geoff Marshall / All The Stations

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

dulpit wrote: »
    I see by their twitter/instagram that they're now in Norn Iron. I think it's interesting that when they were in Wales and Scotland the stations had dual language signs and (was it Wales only?) dual language announcements. Not so for the North...

There is no Irish language act in NI as far as I am aware. SF wanted to bring it in, which would introduce this.

https://www.thejournal.ie/irish-language-act-explainer-3851417-Feb2018/

Arlene Foster it seems is more interested in a Polish Language act.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,382 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

TallGlass wrote: »
    There is no Irish language act in NI as far as I am aware. SF wanted to bring it in, which would introduce this.

https://www.thejournal.ie/irish-language-act-explainer-3851417-Feb2018/

Arlene Foster it seems is more interested in a Polish Language act.

No I get that, I just think it's funny that the DUP want to be the same as the rest of the UK, except for all the times they don't... :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

So Roscrea and Tara Street remain shunned.

Roscrea was served by the Ballybrophy service they took. Tara Street I'm expecting to be used in a joke of some kind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

They didn't show Roscrea which is odd as it is a block post and a nice little station.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,104 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Looking tired and bored by it all. Struggling really. Started well enough, but its going downhill now. Maybe the Enterprise and Norn Iron will perk them up a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

L1011 wrote: »
    Roscrea was served by the Ballybrophy service they took. Tara Street I'm expecting to be used in a joke of some kind

Tara Street is the Isle of Wight gag revisited.

Roscrea they could not have been missed out

Drumcondra was covered as there was a trip through the Phoenix Park

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Tara Street is the Isle of Wight gag revisited.

Roscrea they could not have been missed out

Drumcondra was covered as there was a trip through the Phoenix Park

Don’t think clondalkin/fonthill featured either.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's a few stations that didn't make the edit but they definitely were on a train serving it. Tara Street however has not been shown as served yet, but it's obvious enough that it'll be shown at the end or a few weeks later

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I've been watching these from the start and still can't make up my mind about them. What they're doing is admirable but it also makes it frustratingly superficial. Perhaps they didn't have more time to spare but the series would've benefited from them slowing down and exploring more places. Some of the ones where they spent more time were a bit random too. Seems like the only reason Vicki went to look at Tipp Town (not the nicest destination on our railway network) was because of the old song. There's nothing much in Longford apart from St Mel's cathedral. I wondered why Geoff didn't just ask someone what the non-castle in Tullamore was (it's the remains of a jail) or how to pronounce some of the tongue-tangling placenames. Did they not listen to the train announcements? Naas being called Nass is a schoolboy error. When they do slow down, it makes for better watching; that segment where they went to the railway museum in Castlerea being a case in point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

neris wrote: »
    Use to watch his underground & london train videos, were interesting but talk about obsessed

We’re posting on a sub board called Train and Rail Systems. I suspect that most of us aren’t here for the ironic detachment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I don't have an issue with the obsession. They're not Youtubers constantly begging for subscribers, likes or with the cap out for Patreon money.

I don't have an issue with the obsession. They're not Youtubers constantly begging for subscribers, likes or with the cap out for Patreon money.

Believe it or not, he seems to have actually from what I can tell, toned it down a fair bit! (Based on watching a video of him on YouTube trying to do all the tube stations in a world record back in 2003).

EP15 - Dart to Malahide, Commuter to Drogheda and then Enterprise onto NI

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

They did go to Tara Street, latest video on a DART northbound out of Tara Street, its there for the eagle eyed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Tara Street there after the credits in the latest video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Still no Roscrea.

Still no Roscrea.

The service that they were on that went through Roscrea was filmed and it was marked on the map. It was done. Not every single station is shown in the edited videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭bren2002

L1011 wrote: »
    The service that they were on that went through Roscrea was filmed and it was marked on the map. It was done. Not every single station is shown in the edited videos.

Same for Sandycove & Glasthule I suppose, it's skipped in the Bray to Dublin video.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

TallGlass wrote: »

Darcy thinks Waterford has nice station. :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I saw the first few episodes fully but the later videos I didn't watch fully, skipped through decent sections of them.

They seem to skip from one thing to the next quite often, not going into anything in any great depth, and generally Geoff looked pretty disinterested a lot of the times and made it feel like a chore.

Like others have said they should have slowed down a bit, explored things a bit more and gone into more detail, it just feels like they've raised some money on Kickstarter and now want to do it quickly as possible to say they did it rather than actually being interested.

The UK version was much much better if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I thought the Luas one was particularly poor. It was full of filler and something they seem to have undertaken just because it was there. And going by the way they do things, it had to be all or nothing. If they'd got out at some of the stops (e.g. Museum, Stephen's Green, the remnants of Broadstone station) and explored the area it would've been better. Is there really anything to be gained by going out to the Red Cow Car Park other than saying you were there?

I don't disagree on the pacing aspect. Perhaps had they stuck to one or two editors and released stuff every second day, or something it might have been better. However, I did enjoy it and we only got about 30 seconds of Barry Kenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I actually enjoy his youtube videos of the Underground, and British Rail. Far from a train anorak/nerd (sorry guys :p), but probably just have an interest as being from there. Looking forward to watching a few of these ones, to see what he makes of our Network.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

devnull wrote: »
    I saw the first few episodes fully but the later videos I didn't watch fully, skipped through decent sections of them.

They seem to skip from one thing to the next quite often, not going into anything in any great depth, and generally Geoff looked pretty disinterested a lot of the times and made it feel like a chore.

Like others have said they should have slowed down a bit, explored things a bit more and gone into more detail, it just feels like they've raised some money on Kickstarter and now want to do it quickly as possible to say they did it rather than actually being interested.

The UK version was much much better if you ask me.

Didn't they make like 25k from the Kickstarter? Mental money! Wonder did they spend it all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭CarlosHarpic

They picked the most unappealing towns to explore: tipperary, balbriggan and longford!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

They picked the most unappealing towns to explore: tipperary, balbriggan and longford!

At least they spared me by not stopping to view Dromod. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

They should've done a bit more research on the places they were getting out at and exploring.

Advertisement