Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Weinstein scandal (Mod warning in op.)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,125 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Busy Philipps coming out against Freaks and Geeks co-star James Franco in her new book

• Registered Users Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Busy Philipps coming out against Freaks and Geeks co-star James Franco in her new book

Someone shared this on facebook today-feel like I need to repost it, before commenting. Feel it applies to Judge Kavanaugh too. (Link below also outlines the incident Phillip's mentioned).

The presumption of innocence is a bedrock principle of a free society.

Without it, the state would simply declare you guilty and you would suffer whatever punishments it deemed appropriate. Failing that, a mob could present passionate accusers who would in effect do the same thing.

The prosecution in any case has the burden of proof for a reason--it forces the state or your accuser to present proof beyond a reasonable doubt that you're guilty of the thing you're accused of. If it cannot do that with the facts it has available, you must be found not guilty.

Anything less than this system lies along the low, seductive path to tyranny.

The presumption of innocence is intended to protect you regardless of your race, sex, ethnicity, political party, or income.

We operate inside an imperfect system designed by imperfect humans--but the presumption of innocence is one of the few human inventions that is as close to perfect as we can get.

Please don't abandon it out of political convenience.

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/busy-philipps-james-franco-assault-freaks-and-geeks-1202973054/

Of course, the stories clearly don't go into details because why would they? They just want to paint Franco as a rapist. (Phillips claimed she was raped at 14 years old-so with that in the back of your mind, the reports try to paint Franco as such).

As the article states, he was method acting, and was treating the character like he had grown up in an abusive family-the kind of guy who didn't like being hit. Seems he took the role a little too far. As she noted, she hit him first, he retaliated-in character (she claims he broke character, I think he stayed in character-only the character he was imagining) grabbed her by the arms and pushed her to the ground. Also, she doesn't clarify-was he told she'd hit him, or was it totally out of the blue?

He was forced to apologise, probably after explaining himself too, but if they understood his reasoning, it would explain why he got no punishment. This just doesn't sound like 'vile monster' she's trying to paint Franco as.
    It reads more like totally misinformed on what their characters were supposed to be.

I see David McSavage apologising for defending Al Porter. It's in today's copy of the Star.

(I only bought it based on the front page article about a former RTE reporter and her husband being arrested).

https://pagesix.com/2018/10/15/another-harvey-weinstein-prosecutor-quits-das-office/?_ga=2.99986910.112683561.1539650434-29258654.1538935640

So an actress (Lucia Evans) was trying to sue Weinstein for an incident that was, by all accounts, consensual, but was essentially covered up. It reads very much like it was a 'trade' for a job (not trying to make a lewd joke). Considering that she was married at the time, it also reads horribly like the 'cried rape when caught cheating' kind of story.

(The awkward thing about any articles outside of the one above is they've mixed up the actress with a child actor on Fair City. (Yikes).)

The Evans case was thrown out a few days ago, but has lead to a prosecuter stepping down-and for good reason, when folks break the law to try and get a conviction, they very well throw the whole case into dissarray-as its looking like Harvey might be able to get the entire case against him quashed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Sarah Silverman says she consented to Louis CK masturbating in front of her in the past...... only before her had 'power'.

(Oh, ignore the part where she says she's always truthful. We know that's not true).

https://twitter.com/SarahKSilverman/status/1054476111873228800

Sarah Silverman says she consented to Louis CK masturbating in front of her in the past...... only before her had 'power'.

(Oh, ignore the part where she says she's always truthful. We know that's not true).

She also wore blackface, dressed up as Hitler, and is recorded using racist Asian language...

Can't imagine the Wreck it Ralph creators will be too happy with all the negative buzz she's bringing to the upcoming sequel.

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/10/sarah-scott-kip-pardue-sexual-harassment-accusation-sag-aftra-1202016110/

Actor on Marvel's The Runaways is accused of sexual misconduct and similar Weinstein behaviour...

Creepier still is he doesn't deny it, and 'claims he misread the situation'... Yeek.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Have any of the high profile people been charged with anything yet or what's the story? Loads of actors sacked from shows whioe denying the allegations but then most went quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

She also wore blackface, dressed up as Hitler, and is recorded using racist Asian language...

Can't imagine the Wreck it Ralph creators will be too happy with all the negative buzz she's bringing to the upcoming sequel.

It is outrageous that she has more balls than most male comedians

Actually she has more balls than the Pearl clutching Marys knocking around these days masquerading as men

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Have any of the high profile people been charged with anything yet or what's the story? Loads of actors sacked from shows whioe denying the allegations but then most went quiet.

I wonder will any of the accused actors sue because they were sacked based on accusations and not proof?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Have any of the high profile people been charged with anything yet or what's the story?

No and they never were likely to given that most of the high profile accusers went on to have sexual relationships with Harvey after they allege that he had raped them. Rose McGowan didn't but having read her book I can assure you her story was so absurd that it was never going to see the inside of a court.

The Lucia Evans case............

....was thrown out recently when it was revealed that a witness had come forward and said that Lucia had told them that what happened between her and Harvey was consensual and that she did it for acting work. A cop in the NYPD had kept that information from the prosecution though.

Next court date is December 20th where he faces five charges of assault on two other women (one from 2006 and the other in 2013). The latter of which doesn't look at that strong either.

https://variety.com/2018/biz/news/harvey-weinstein-accuser-screening-day-of-rape-1203084155/

Not much is being said about the 2006 case though which suggests to me that it's the strongest the prosecution have as almost all other cases have had Harvey's lawyers demanding that the charges relating to it be dismissed for one reason or another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I’m not sure but many of the accused haven’t vigorously denied allegations and some haven’t even mildly denied them. Which isn’t proof of guilt but wouldn’t you be livid if you were wrongly accused of something?

Bambi wrote: »
    It is outrageous that she has more balls than most male comedians

Actually she has more balls than the Pearl clutching Marys knocking around these days masquerading as men

She hasn't tho-she's been caught lying over and over. If that's 'balls' then I must be rocking cannonballs down there.

Then she goes on to say she 'regrets' her jokes in the past. If anything, she's worse.
    If you wanna see a comedian who sticks to their guns-look at Daniel Tosh. People went apespit over his jokes about rape-he stood there and defended them, as well as his right to make those jokes. When folks got angrier still, he told em where to go.

There are better women comedians out there-I'm really liking Taylor Tomlinson right now. She's an up and coming comedienne.

But the problem is the media are focusing on 'Hannah Gadsby' as this 'wave of the future' when really she harkens back to flipping Jenny Jones.

CBS paid Eliza Dushku over 9 million over claims made by her against Bull co-star Michael Weatherly, she was written out of the show after complaining

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    CBS paid Eliza Dushku over 9 million over claims made by her against Bull co-star Michael Weatherly, she was written out of the show after complaining

A very strange case, emblematic of the culture going on in CBS, what with Les Moonves literally having a paid PA who's sole 'service' was to provide fellatio.
    All that misogyny bled down to employees.

Apparently it was going on for decades-Cybill Shepard alleges that her show was cancelled after rebuffing Les Moonves on a night out.

https://www.vulture.com/2018/12/cybill-shepherd-claims-inappropriate-conduct-by-les-moonves.html

Illeana Douglas has made similar claims against Moonves. Claiming she was fired from a pilot in 1997.

Not CBS related, but the author of a DC comic, Bordertown, has been accused of rape, grooming of young girls, and possible paedophilia.
    His team on the book, the artist and colourist, have both left the book following the allegations made in a blog post by one Cynthia Naugle.

No word as to whether the book will be cancelled-it was seemingly being promoted as the 'star lead series' of the Vertigo line of books-now it's future is up in the air. (I genuinely thought they might be trying to make a TV show out of it-considering it's Vertigo).
    But his behaviour had been noted by many who knew him-including unwanted advances, and other creepy stuff.
    Not a good luck for DC comics, especially so soon after the Eddie Berganza 'ten years of sexual harassment' debacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Harvey Weinstein bragged about sleeping with Jennifer Lawrence while trying to force himself upon a woman in his office, court documents show.

Lawrence has issued a statement denying that such an affair took place, adding: "My heart breaks for all the women who were victimised by Harvey Weinstein.

"I have never had anything but a professional relationship with him. This is yet another example of the predatory tactics and lies that he engaged in to lure countless women."

What? He didn’t even try it on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

Laois_Man wrote: »
    What? He didn’t even try it on?

He can brag all he wants.

She can deny all she wants.

He can't prove he did or didnt it with her(or her consent) with out her saying otherwise

She denys it happened he looks like a sap trying to say it did

Actor Geoffrey Rush (From Pirates of the Carribean) is accused of sexual misconduct by Yael Stone, from Orange is the New Black.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/16/opinion/metoo-defamation-geoffrey-rush-yael-stone.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

• Advertisement

Actor Geoffrey Rush (From Pirates of the Carribean) is accused of sexual misconduct by Yael Stone, from Orange is the New Black.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/16/opinion/metoo-defamation-geoffrey-rush-yael-stone.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

It seems like sexual misconduct allegations are the sex tapes of this decade,Kim Kardashian,Paris Hilton etc all released theirs to further their name,well now lots of actresses seem to be doing the same with this accusations

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

sexmag wrote: »
    It seems like sexual misconduct allegations are the sex tapes of this decade,Kim Kardashian,Paris Hilton etc all released theirs to further their name,well now lots of actresses seem to be doing the same with this accusations

Jesus Christ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Faugheen wrote: »
    Jesus Christ.
    I'd say the statute of limitations has well passed if there allegations against him.
    Well, unless he comes back........

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Kivaro wrote: »
    I'd say the statute of limitations has well passed if there allegations against him.

It was mostly reciprocal though, he was always doing unto others what he wanted done onto himself.

Kivaro wrote: »

Be hard to prove if it was him, or the father, or the holy ghost. :D

SMILF creator investigated for allegations of misconduct

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/frankie-shaw-investigated-by-abc-studios-following-misconduct-claim-on-showtimes-smilf-1203091354/

Quite a strange case. So the creator and star of the show, Frankie Shaw, (a woman, just to clarify because it left me confused before I'd had my coffee) is alleged to have told actress Samara Weaving that she would have to perform a sex scene completely nude. The instructions were given by Shaw.
    Well, Weaving had originally been told the scene would be filmed in her underwear, as was her male co-star. (And that's how the scene was finally filmed).
    Weaving spoke to her co-star, Rosie O'Donnell, who spoke to one of the producers.
    The whole thing led to an investigation, and Weaving has chosen to leave the show before a possible third season.

Quite an interesting story-especially when Shaw pulled the 'I believe Dylan Farrow's allegations against Woody Allen'. Seems she has her own skeletons in the closet.

Neil Degrasse Tyson's in trouble now-his show just got pulled amid claims of sexual misconduct, and an old rape allegation.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/nat-geo-neil-degrasse-tyson-1203098611/

Neil Degrasse Tyson's in trouble now-his show just got pulled amid claims of sexual misconduct, and an old rape allegation.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/nat-geo-neil-degrasse-tyson-1203098611/

Is the whole idea of innocent until proven guilty totally gone out of the window?

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Is the whole idea of innocent until proven guilty totally gone out of the window?

No one said he was guilty.

It's.standard procedure during allegations of any criminal nature that people are placed on paod/administrative leave until the matter is investigated, this is to ensure that there is not witness or defendant tampering/misconduct.

NDT released a statement a few months back and addressed them,seems like he was aware something might happen so came prepared

• Advertisement

sexmag wrote: »
    No one said he was guilty.

It's.standard procedure during allegations of any criminal nature that people are placed on paod/administrative leave until the matter is investigated, this is to ensure that there is not witness or defendant tampering/misconduct.

While I somewhat agree with you regarding making sure that there is no witness or defendant tampering/misconduct, not showing pre-recorded episodes of a TV show hardly comes into the category of witness or defendant tampering/misconduct.

Paid suspension of people when they are employees during an investigation is fair. I'm not so sure that fairness applies when people like NDGT are self-employed.

Advertisement