Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

tumblr_pjxbyrpRVN1xq94wqo1_400.gif

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Seems that Jeff Minter is in Bandersnatch

I didnt recognise him without any llama based stuff. Ended up watching/playing through bandersnatch to get most of the endings..really enjoyed it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

tumblr_pjxbyrpRVN1xq94wqo1_400.gif

Happy New Year to you as we, and all the posters and users of the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Any neogeo collectors here? You might be interested in this new MVS game

https://shop.bitmapbureau.com/products/xeno-crisis-neo-geo-mvs-collectors-edition

• Registered Users Posts: 34,456 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Any neogeo collectors here? You might be interested in this new MVS game

https://shop.bitmapbureau.com/products/xeno-crisis-neo-geo-mvs-collectors-edition

Seems it was actually kickstarted as a Megadrive game! First I've heard of it. Actually looks pretty good.

If you go to buy it on their site, there's a whole myriad of different region covers to chose from.

You can go original PAL grid style for example, or later blue boarder - across all regions!

https://shop.bitmapbureau.com/collections/sega-mega-drive-genesis

Not sure which to go for, original PAL or original NTSC Jap. Do quite like the blue boarder jap one too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Finally tested the Dreamcast, it's Sega blue skies for 2019, thanks again Sparks!
    TameAshamedFox-max-1mb.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Anyone check out hi score girl on Netflix, it is about a girl who is good at arcade games and lots of the classics are featured.
    You left out the one important feature that would drive me and a lot of other folks away from it.

Master of the Universe

You left out the one important feature that would drive me and a lot of other folks away from it.

You're an animation hating philistine?

I've been meaning to give it a look. The cabs/consoles the manga are drawn to an oddly highly realistic level.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I saw it flicking through Netflix last night but wasn't sure if it would be cringy, is it good?
    Seha Girls is another one to watch, loads of Seha games featured, episodes are really short

It is good enough, it is set around the same time I got into Arcade games so is very relatable to me and they know their stuff when it come to each game also, there is the usual school kids/romance story but it is not that bad.

o1s1n wrote: »
    You're an animation hating philistine?

I've been meaning to give it a look. The cabs/consoles the manga are drawn to an oddly highly realistic level.
    One specific kind of animation.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

One specific kind of animation.

'Anime' isn't a specific kind of animation. It's a term westerners have given to lump together about a billion different Japanese animation styles. Which is kind of ridiculous when you think about it.

I can understand people not liking chibi type Japanese animation (and screaming Weaboo!) At people who do, but you must at least like badass 80s and 90s features like Akira, Cyber City OEDO, Berserk and Ninja Scroll. They're everything our Saturday morning western cartoons dreamed of being.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,822 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Anime has gotten pretty bad lately but there's still some good stuff being made like Made in Abyss.

'Anime' isn't a specific kind of animation. It's a term westerners have given to lump together about a billion different Japanese animation styles. Which is kind of ridiculous when you think about it.

I can understand people not liking chibi type Japanese animation (and screaming Weaboo!) At people who do, but you must at least like badass 80s and 90s features like Akira, Cyber City OEDO, Berserk and Ninja Scroll. They're everything our Saturday morning western cartoons dreamed of being.
    It's not King of the Hill, but I can make it work.

0b7.png

While it might look great aesthetically, Akira is actually a pretty crappy film tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I see Token are expanding into the building next door. More seating and more games so hopefully you'll be able to actually go in at the weekend.

Has anyone been recently? Haven't been in a while but the last few times I went the anything I wanted wasn't available and the service was crap.

Master of the Universe

Dr Bob wrote: »
    While it might look great aesthetically, Akira is actually a pretty crappy film tbh.

The words 'you are wrong' are all I need to say in response to that... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I see Token are expanding into the building next door. More seating and more games so hopefully you'll be able to actually go in at the weekend.

Has anyone been recently? Haven't been in a while but the last few times I went the anything I wanted wasn't available and the service was crap.

I was in there Sunday. It was quite, food was fairly nice but I could only get sliders and not full sized burgers which I thought was strange. I only played some pinball and at that only 3 machines. Most of the pins really need some LEDs installed as they are so dark it's really difficult to play

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Anime has gotten pretty bad lately but there's still some good stuff being made like Made in Abyss.

Haven't heard of that, thanks! Looks pretty cool.

Have you watched Hozuki's Coolheadedness? Fantastically hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭bugs

The words 'you are wrong' are all I need to say in response to that... :pac:

To be fair, it's very poor when compared to the manga but stands up ok-ish on its own.

Master of the Universe

bugs wrote: »
    To be fair, it's very poor when compared to the manga but stands up ok-ish on its own.

If you're coming to it with zero knowledge then yes, it can be confusing.

However if you've ready the Manga or are familiar with the story it's an absolute masterpiece. The opening bike chase sequence is one of (if not the) greatest animated sequences of all time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

DaveyDave wrote: »

I was in there Sunday. It was quite, food was fairly nice but I could only get sliders and not full sized burgers which I thought was strange. I only played some pinball and at that only 3 machines. Most of the pins really need some LEDs installed as they are so dark it's really difficult to play

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Retr0gamer wrote: »

I haven't watched made in abyss but from second hand knowledge I feel like this is a joke.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

:eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,822 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

megaten wrote: »
    I haven't watched made in abyss but from second hand knowledge I feel like this is a joke.

It's great. Great story. Excellent characters. Ex Ghibli background artist. Andy penkin soundtrack. I loved it and the first season actually manages to improve on the source material. Just be prepared for it to get extraordinarily dark.

If you're coming to it with zero knowledge then yes, it can be confusing.

However if you've ready the Manga or are familiar with the story it's an absolute masterpiece. The opening bike chase sequence is one of (if not the) greatest animated sequences of all time.
    Yeah I know I'm dead to you now! ..but while it looks amazing , if a movie adaptation needs you to have read the original 2000 page manga to make sense then its failed..
    Plus its pretty misogynistic( like Duke Nukem Returns levels) , theres a scene early on where,Akira's buddy Tetsou's girlfriend is assaulted pretty much so theres a 'BEWBS!!' scene , later on she's accidentally killed off fairly horribly purely to make Tetsou feel bad for a minute , then forgotten about. Coming back to it as young adult put me off Anime stuff for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I remember watching that on Channel4 back in the 90s :D I think I have a copy of the series now with both English and Japanese audio - massive difference

Yeah I know I'm dead to you now! ..but while it looks amazing , if a movie adaptation needs you to have read the original 2000 page manga to make sense then its failed..
    Plus its pretty misogynistic( like Duke Nukem Returns levels) , theres a scene early on where,Akira's buddy Tetsou's girlfriend is assaulted pretty much so theres a 'BEWBS!!' scene , later on she's accidentally killed off fairly horribly purely to make Tetsou feel bad for a minute , then forgotten about. Coming back to it as young adult put me off Anime stuff for years.

I can't really agree with you at all.
    I think Kaneda's gang, as relative innocents in the grander scheme of government, science and gods, end up at the sticky end of a lot that happens.
    Plus, Kei is pretty badass with Kaneda a d1ck for a lot of the film, so not so misogynistic imho at least.
    That Tetsuo's girlfriend dying that way is indicative of his utter loss of control, falling into panic, fight or flight, and the body horror that accompanies same.

To say Akira has problems is an understatement. But it's just such a feast for the senses that I love it. There will never be another animated film like it. It could only have been made at the height of the Japanese bubble economy.

I still think it's an essential piece of hard scifi. Even if a lot of it's more interesting subplots are half baked during to time and script constraints it's still developed enough to make it a compelling and interesting watch ... Even if the last 20 always has me wondering that the **** is going on.

Master of the Universe

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    I remember watching that on Channel4 back in the 90s :D I think I have a copy of the series now with both English and Japanese audio - massive difference

The original Manga Entertainment dub is hilariously bad with all the profanity. However! They commissioned a new heavy metal soundtrack for it which makes the show seem far more fast paced - actually a case of it suiting it more than the original soundtrack.

Full UK dub episodes are up on YouTube for anyone who fancies a look. Quality isn't the best as that version has never had a DVD release, still worth a look for the music.

Any of you dudes ever see Akira in a cinema with a decent sound setup? The soundtrack takes on a whole life of its own, it's actually one of the highlights of the film.

• Advertisement

I think it was Jaz Rignall who said Manga entertainment came to them in mean machines with a load of anime they wanted to license for the UK. They asked them to watch all the films that they were likely to get and let them know which one to go for.

They sent their suggestions back with Legend of the Overfiend included as a joke.

Advertisement