Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposed changes to Irish rail commuter services from 9th December 2018

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

loyatemu wrote: »
    the Rosslare train often doesn't even arrive in Connolly until 5 minutes after it was due to depart (you can see it sitting beside the loco shed), then it makes up most of that time on the way to Dun Laoghaire (because the timetable is so padded) only to lose it all again waiting outside Bray. You would think this is easily solvable, but from the outside it looks like some form of industrial action, who knows.

Yeah I get the train from Pearse it its usually 5 to 10 minutes late but gets to Wexford Town on time despite the lateness and delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

loyatemu wrote: »
    so what's going on at Bray? on several occasions now I've seen trains delayed by up to 10 minutes because the previous train is just sitting at the platform waiting for a driver.

Last week I arrived in Bray on a Dart planning to change onto the Rosslare train to Greystones. I got off the Dart, so did the driver and the Dart just sat at the platform while the display counted down the arrival of the intercity before sticking at 3 minutes (so the next train was sitting waiting outside the station at that point). Still no movement, eventually with the intercity now late a new driver ambles up the platform, gets in the cab, sits there for another few minutes before finally moving the Dart down to the sidings. So the following intercity, which had arrived outside the station on time, eventually departed 10 mins down.

Same thing happened again yesterday only this time I was on the Intercity, which sat at the bridge outside Bray for a full 10 minutes waiting for a platform. Go slow? Rostering issues?

This happened today as well the 10:20 train from Bray to Rosslare

I got off at Bray, I woke up late highly unusual for me I'm usually an early riser, and had to bolt to get my DART to get to this connection. When I got to Bray I was musing on crossing to get an espresso on the other side in the coffee shop in the main station. But the screen said the train was 3 min away

But the DART I just got off just sat there for nearly 10 minutes.
    On the other side the other Rosslare train to COnnolly was late and a dart to howth late behind that.

Then eventually my DART took off and the Rosslare train arrived.

Could it be the 10 minute timetable has caused a domino effort on the single track part of the southern line? The train to Connolly had to get out of the way before the other one came along?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Since the change, the first Sligo train shows as arriving at 0818 to Maynooth on the website, the boards and the platform signs in Maynooth every day. Its usually actually on time or maybe one minute late, and leaves before the claimed "arrival"

Has someone forgotten to change the expected time - or put the wrong one in? It was 0818 briefly in the autumn but I didn't notice this happening between then and the new change

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

L1011 wrote: »
    Since the change, the first Sligo train shows as arriving at 0818 to Maynooth on the website, the boards and the platform signs in Maynooth every day. Its usually actually on time or maybe one minute late, and leaves before the claimed "arrival"

Has someone forgotten to change the expected time - or put the wrong one in? It was 0818 briefly in the autumn but I didn't notice this happening between then and the new change

The first train from Sligo is scheduled to arrive in Maynooth at 8.08 (that’s from the Irish Rail journey planner). The (brief) autumn change put it at an earlier time but that had to be undone in September.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its 0810 since the 9th. And the info systems show it as delayed to 0818 every day, when it isn't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

Its 0810 since the 9th. And the info systems show it as delayed to 0818 every day, when it isn't

That’s very odd. I get the train before it so I don’t see it but it sounds wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

Would it be worthwhile redeveloping Bray with a new island platform instead of a dead use through line.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,530 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

IE 222 wrote: »
    Would it be worthwhile redeveloping Bray with a new island platform instead of a dead use through line.

What benefit would you see from this, a present BRAY that three tracks, two with platforms and one *dead use through line", so (in theory) one could have DART's sitting on both platforms, and another train by-passes the station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

Strange one today - coming into Connolly on a dart from Bray to Howth about 3.50, as soon as the DART reached Platform 6, a Maynooth bound train on Platform 7 left. Now maybe one was delayed/late, but seems a bit counter productive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Kh1993 wrote: »
    Strange one today - coming into Connolly on a dart from Bray to Howth about 3.50, as soon as the DART reached Platform 6, a Maynooth bound train on Platform 7 left. Now maybe one was delayed/late, but seems a bit counter productive?

The Maynooth train would be off the Bray-Howth tracks within a minute or so. By the time passengers got off and on that Maynooth train would not be an issue.

If the dart were to hold up the Maynooth train that would have been counter productive.

• Advertisement

What benefit would you see from this, a present BRAY that three tracks, two with platforms and one *dead use through line", so (in theory) one could have DART's sitting on both platforms, and another train by-passes the station.

Not much good if the train is scheduled to stop. Having the flexibility of 3 through platforms would help removing the additional padding put into Wexford services having to wait for Darts to clear platforms. It could also allow for overtaking of late running Darts.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

so is your idea something like.
    platform 1.
    2 tracks.
    island platform (2 and 3)
    2 tracks
    platform 4.
    is that correct?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

so is your idea something like.
    platform 1.
    2 tracks.
    island platform (2 and 3)
    2 tracks
    platform 4.
    is that correct?

Not quite, excluding the current bay platform (No.3) im suggesting to keep current platform 1 and through line as is. Im suggesting demolish current platform 2 and replace with an island platform to the east side of the current through line providing that with a platfrom. Realign current platform 2 track along were the current platform 2 sits. Obviously some point work would need to be done on the south end to facilitate this as well. All in all it will provide 3 through tracks not 4.

Today the train arrived at 0805 (and held to its proper departure) but was showing as 0818 until it arrived!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Maynooth is not the only station with incorrect timetable info. Shows what a complete shambles they have made out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Maynooth is gas. Many a Sunday morning I've been there waiting for the Sligo train and the station master shouts across at us what train do we want and tells us the platform. There are only two!

We point at the display and are told "sure Dublin control that"

That's the relaxed version, a few times we have to scramble over the bridge

Shambles and it's only two platforms. I do find the staff extremely helpful though

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭briany

I wouldn't mind, but Iarnrod Eireann are not updating their timetables to reflect the changes. The searchable timetable lists the old times of the trains and their points of departure, as does the downloadable timetable - the one that says "valid from 9th of Dec 2018".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

briany wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind, but Iarnrod Eireann are not updating their timetables to reflect the changes. The searchable timetable lists the old times of the trains and their points of departure, as does the downloadable timetable - the one that says "valid from 9th of Dec 2018".

Which one?

Advertisement