Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby attendance

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Bubblegummers

Buer wrote: »
    Based on the school populations alone, a significant number of those schools would never be considered.

And exhausting all avenues on schools with a low chance of success, would be a waste of a limited budget.

They're far better to work on improving clubs in the area to provide an option for those students. And there are a few clubs in the vicinity operating already including Guinness RFC who field underage sides.

I’m not talking about clubs I’m talking about catching youths early in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

I think most of us can agree that since going professional rugby has had steady growth in terms of viewership and participation. However for some reason this doesn’t seem to be translating into people actually going out to attend matches, attendances for big clubs have been fairly stagnant in the pro 14 for the last 7/8 seasons.

There’s certainly been growth in the attendance of Ireland games over the same period, so are the provinces and other clubs missing a trick somehow? Does rugby lack something in the match day experiences that other sports who regularly fill stadiums have?

I’ve been attending leinster matches since 2007, and always find it a pleasant experience. Even though some games can become a bit of a drag with a 30 point cushion by half time and a barley half full RDS.

Even in country’s where rugby would be the national sport such as wales, South Africa and New Zealand there seems to be a similar problem. So what is it about rugby that despite its growing popularity it’s attendance figures don’t seem to rise at least at club level?
    Wouldnt say at all rugby is lacking in match day experiences. Attendances in New Zealand, South Africa and Australia are affected even more by lack of away fans.
    Dont see how rugby is lacking in match day experience. What do you think its missing?
    dwasol wrote: »
    Does rugby deliberately exclude some social groups?
    Maybe this is the cause, an effort to engage working class communities in Dublin & Cork and expand into rural areas elsewhere may help.
    I think rugby’s pretty inclusive in limerick so it would be interesting to see what their attendance is like and who it comprises of.
    I dont think it does at all. The sport in most. Munster attendances are seen as worse because of the size of Thomond.
    The sport very much engages with "working class communities" in Cork at least with the number of clubs fielding underage teams. Dublin isnt as much the case with a lot of clubs not fielding teams so many kids who may want to play dont have opportunity through clubs
    tototoe wrote: »
    Personally, I think aside from social media Munster are shocking at marketing games. Rarely see or hear anything about games in thomond apart from facebook ads. But maybe that's just me.

The big one that a lot of hard core supporters don't seem to get is the pro14 is just not that attractive as a competition. It reminds me of the hurling league. People who are really into it will go to a good few games, everyone else will catch one or two. In general the average punter sees it as just an average competition, unless you get to the latter stages...and even then most people are not that bothered.
    I think that may just be you. I actually find their marketing is very good these days between radio ads etc.
    There is a kind of GAA style attitude towards the league with everything focused for many fans on the "championship"/European cup.
    Ireland has a bandwagon culture. It's not limited to rugby. If the game isn't viewed as an event, it won't be well attended. Dublin vs Kerry in Croke Park attracted 24k spectators in the NFL last season. 31k people went to see our national football team play their nearest rivals in the Aviva recently. Those are our two biggest team sports comfortably yet fail to bring in crowds too.

But if it was a Heineken Cup match, an All Ireland game or a crunch WC qualifier, the stadiums would be full.

The amount of work done by the GAA and IRFU to develop their sports in non-traditional areas in recent years has been massive. It will be ignored by those with an agenda but it is taking place with a large degree of success too. That is not going to result in bums on seats when it comes to attendances though.

Until the Pro14 becomes a better product overall with consistent selections, rivalries and higher standards then the attendances aren't going to improve. And the league has gone backwards noticeably this season in both conferences. I would suggest that all of the top sides in the competition are possibly weaker right now than they were last season.

Pricing is almost certainly an issue too. It's a significant spend for someone to go to a match and bring a couple of kids with parking and food thrown in.
    It is kind of bandwagon(though i hate that word for describing fans...)
    By and large irish fans have never really had big teams to follow playing week in week out regularly for several months of a season like in other countries so the routine of doing that isnt there for many.
    The work done in "non traditional areas" may not have short term success in getting bums on seats but should have significant impact in the long term if the IRFU are doing their job right
    The IRFU don’t do enough in working class areas, I went to Terenure for school but from Crumlin- school was rugby but my area knew nothing about it. Workshops by the IRFU that we’re prevalent in middle to upper class school didn’t exist in working class techs or Community schools.

People grow up with little knowledge or interest as a result. My local area and friends who went to school locally in Crumlin will come to 6 nations games with me but when I’m in the RDS or Ravenhill they won’t.

There isn’t enough put in by the IRFU and thays factual in Dublin.
    They are doing a lot more work in these areas with club community officers etc. The workshops/blitzes are very much in so called working class techs/community schools.
    troyzer wrote: »
    Rugby in Leinster is still very much the posh sport.

I'm not from a posh area and neither are any of the people I go to matches with. But we're very much the exception.

Rugby needs to break it's reputation as one for posh people. I think it's getting there but it does need to work harder in working class areas like where my family is from.

The only reason we ended up watching rugby is because it's a sports mad house in general.
    You cant say Leinster as beyond Dublin in most areas its the same as any other province.
    Rugby has been breaking its reputation as one for posh people and likes of Trevor Brennan, Tadhg Furlong are just some who have shown its not a posh persons sport in Leinster
    If you go through the number of schools that now have rugby programmes compared to 15 years ago, there's a massive difference. Literally dozens of schools who didn't play previously. My former school was a CBS on the northside where there was never any team. They now field teams in the junior and senior cycles every season.

There's only so much they can do with their budget which needs to develop the sport throughout the entire island at both schools and club level. West Offaly, Tallaght RFC, Liberty Saints, Ratoath, Normans, North Meath, Midland Warriors...all clubs that were founded in recent years in non-traditional areas.

Wity respect to the Crumlin area, I see Drimnagh Castle are fielding rugby teams in recent seasons and there have also been rugby programmes introduced in the local primary school.
    Exactly. We will only talk Leinster here but its same in other provinces as well. 15 years ago the tiers of leinster schools rugby were much smaller and few schools played. Number of clubs who have been established is quite good(could be better in some areas)
    Why can't they let the referee explain every penalty like in the NFL?

It's not intrusive and you'd get used to it very quickly.

Just turn to the camera, switch on his mike, do the motions and say something like:

"Hands in the ruck, penalty to team X."

If that sounds too hokey, just open the mic to the stadium PA after each whistle.
    I dont think its necessarily needed.
    Clareman wrote: »
    The largest provincial stadium Thomond Park 25,600 is in the second smallest city (Limerick 162,413 Metro population), Ravenhill 18,196 is in Belfast (671,559 Metro population), The RDS 18,500 is in the largest city population (1,347,359 Metro population), finally, the Sportsground (8,100) is in the smallest city (79,934).
    For Thomond Park to fill from local people only they will need ~16% of the local population to attend, Sportsground will need ~10%, Ravenhill ~3% and the RDS 1%, for the Aviva to fill from locals 4% of the population would need to travel.

In my opinion, Munster are directly effected by the quality on the pitch and the time of the matches, not many people are going to make a 4 hour round trip from Cork for a meaningless game with second or third string players playing on a Friday evening, to be honest, I struggle to get motivated myself to make the half hour trip on a Friday evening. It might sound like blasphemy but Munster made a mistake in developing Thomond Park into their main ground.
    You have a point about populations but Thomond was always the better option than Musgrave. I think that is making excuses as travel is same for all provinces

Brennan, O'Brien and Furlong are very much the exceptions.

Furlong has even described his pre conceived notions about rugby in Dublin. It's still very much a posh sport for most people.

Referees explaining penalties isn't NEEDED but it would go a long way to helping out the less avid fans who don't recognise all of the hand motions and spend the entire game trying to figure out why scrums and penalties are being called.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Furlong has even described his pre conceived notions about rugby in Dublin. It's still very much a posh sport for most people.

Referees explaining penalties isn't NEEDED but it would go a long way to helping out the less avid fans who don't recognise all of the hand motions and spend the entire game trying to figure out why scrums and penalties are being called.
    In American football the game stops after each play so they can explain it to crowd. That isnt case in rugby. I dont see it as feasible.
    Furlong has described it. Its perceived by some still as posh but only those without any experience of the actual sport within clubs

In American football the game stops after each play so they can explain it to crowd. That isnt case in rugby. I dont see it as feasible.
    Furlong has described it. Its perceived by some still as posh but only those without any experience of the actual sport within clubs

Whenever there's a penalty or scrum, there's at least a few seconds before play restarts.

Plenty of time to just announce what the call was.

Most people don't play rugby and aren't involved in clubs, including most rugby fans. Myself included. Furlong just enjoyed the sport and thankfully the rural clubs don't seem to have any bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,032 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Just turn to the camera, switch on his mike, do the motions and say something like:

If that sounds too hokey, just open the mic to the stadium PA after each whistle.

But all offences are already explained by way of signal and a spoken explanation, see below. Having it done for the benefit of the crowd happens in a few US Eagles tests and ends up being a pain in the bell end.

• Advertisement

But all offences are already explained by way of signal and a spoken explanation, see below. Having it done for the benefit of the crowd happens in a few US Eagles tests and ends up being a pain in the bell end.

All I can say was I spent half of the match explaining every single call to my girlfriend and it was really annoying.

It wouldn't have cost the Earth for a quick PA announcement.

I realise that's very specific but you can't overlook rugby's complexity and how it contributes to it's inaccessible nature.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Regarding the comment about working class areas - I spent a few very enjoyable seasons playing with Unidare who were founded 60 years ago in Finglas and are still going strong under their new name - BGF Ravens (Ballymun, Glasnevin, Finglas). When I was there the work done by Leinster branch coaches in the local schools and with the club itself was very much evident. There's a LOT of stuff going on in non-traditional rugby areas that might be going unnoticed by the population at large for one reason or another. I know I had to post here looking for a club in the D9 area and one of the Unidare lads saw my post.

It might be wise for the IRFU or provincial branches to have a location-based search for clubs nearest to you to make it easier for prospective newcomers to get involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,193 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Most people don't play rugby and aren't involved in clubs, including most rugby fans. Myself included. Furlong just enjoyed the sport and thankfully the rural clubs don't seem to have any bull****.
    Not sure how you can logically post those first two sentences and the final statement.

If you've no involvement with a club, how do you know what they're like? I joined clubs after school having no background in the game and they were incredibly open and welcoming. There were lads from all backgrounds who took up the game at all stages of life with no "bull****".

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Regarding the comment about working class areas - I spent a few very enjoyable seasons playing with Unidare who were founded 60 years ago in Finglas and are still going strong under their new name - BGF Ravens (Ballymun, Glasnevin, Finglas). When I was there the work done by Leinster branch coaches in the local schools and with the club itself was very much evident. There's a LOT of stuff going on in non-traditional rugby areas that might be going unnoticed by the population at large for one reason or another. I know I had to post here looking for a club in the D9 area and one of the Unidare lads saw my post.

It might be wise for the IRFU or provincial branches to have a location-based search for clubs nearest to you to make it easier for prospective newcomers to get involved.

All I can say was I spent half of the match explaining every single call to my girlfriend and it was really annoying.

There's your mistake; bringing her to a game :)

• Advertisement

Not sure how you can logically post those first two sentences and the final statement.

If you've no involvement with a club, how do you know what they're like? I joined clubs after school having no background in the game and they were incredibly open and welcoming. There were lads from all backgrounds who took up the game at all stages of life with no "bull****".

Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that there was bull**** in Dublin clubs.

I meant more that he loved rugby and didn't hesitate to just join a club which are all, by all accounts, very welcoming.

But there is probably a lot of people who wouldn't go near a rugby club because they feel they're elitist. I know a few people who have said this was a reason they never looked at playing rugby.

I'm just thankful that in Furlong's case, he either knew it wasn't or didn't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,193 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Im not talking about clubs Im talking about catching youths early in school.
    I know. My point was it isn't feasible to introduce rugby to every single school so, in areas where they can't, they need to encourage those students to join the local club and ensure there is an appropriate team available to them. Links between the schools and local club are critical thereby trying to avoid a potential player being lost to the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭sgthighway

There are a lot of bandwagon supporters in the Sportsground. It’s location close to all the pubs makes it a great starting spot for a night out. A lot of the supporters watching the games don’t know the rules but that said they do enjoy the matches and they are keeping the place busy so the location of the Sportsground is a big plus. Despite the dog track in between it does feel as if you are close to the game. They might increase it a little bit but they don’t need capacity for over 12000.

sgthighway wrote: »
    A lot of the supporters watching the games don’t know the rules but that said they do enjoy the matches and they are keeping the place busy so the location of the Sportsground is a big plus.

Nor do you ;)

Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that there was bull**** in Dublin clubs.

I meant more that he loved rugby and didn't hesitate to just join a club which are all, by all accounts, very welcoming.

But there is probably a lot of people who wouldn't go near a rugby club because they feel they're elitist. I know a few people who have said this was a reason they never looked at playing rugby.

I'm just thankful that in Furlong's case, he either knew it wasn't or didn't care.
    And how exactly do clubs change that perception when by and large it isnt the case.
    I know. My point was it isn't feasible to introduce rugby to every single school so, in areas where they can't, they need to encourage those students to join the local club and ensure there is an appropriate team available to them. Links between the schools and local club are critical thereby trying to avoid a potential player being lost to the game.
    Rugby doesnt need to be played significantly within a school by and large for the sport to expand. It needs to be ran in short bursts with the development officers using the time to introduce kids to the sport and showing them the local club(s) where they can continue playing and pretty much what happens.
    sgthighway wrote: »
    There are a lot of bandwagon supporters in the Sportsground. It’s location close to all the pubs makes it a great starting spot for a night out. A lot of the supporters watching the games don’t know the rules but that said they do enjoy the matches and they are keeping the place busy so the location of the Sportsground is a big plus. Despite the dog track in between it does feel as if you are close to the game. They might increase it a little bit but they don’t need capacity for over 12000.
    Calling people new to sport bandwagon supporters is offensive IMO. You are a supporter. Nothing different to the man/woman who was supporting connacht on clubhouse side when the clan stand never existed to the person who only started going to games when pat lam got the side to the title.
    Yes the location makes it a great spot for starting a night out but if a certain percentage who attend games start off just going through work night outs/nights out with friends and then really start following the side and bring their kids to play mini rugby or youths rugby then thats a success.
    Connacht would actually get far better attendances at the moment but plenty are turned off by lack of seats/covered terracing in the sportsground especially when weather can be so poor in the ground at games

I have no idea how you change perception.

It can't be done quickly anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

It's simply too expensive
    Almost every sport is gone that way,
    Watch premier league, NFL, gaa, only the really big games are sell outs.
    Almost every game is on TV also

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Ruben Sosa

It should be no surprise that attendances aren't great, Rugby is hugely over hyped in Ireland. For sure people watch the Irish team but it seems their interest stops there. Believe it or no but some see it as an overblown hype machine which is low on skill, too stop start.
    To assume kids want to play rugby who cant is far fetched, parents are well aware of the real dangers and are steering kids towards other sports

Ruben Sosa wrote: »
    It should be no surprise that attendances aren't great, Rugby is hugely over hyped in Ireland. For sure people watch the Irish team but it seems their interest stops there. Believe it or no but some see it as an overblown hype machine which is low on skill, too stop start.
    To assume kids want to play rugby who cant is far fetched, parents are well aware of the real dangers and are steering kids towards other sports

Cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Oh great. Another thread about how rugby is only for snobs, **** and event junkies.

Couldn't we just link to some shyte by Ewen Mackenna and have done with it?

• Advertisement

Fair play to anyone who plays, attends, or watches rugby . Each to their own. But low attendance should be no surprise

• Subscribers Posts: 41,215 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

This whole thread is based on the incorrect assumption that rugby attendances are low.

They certainly aren't at provincial level, and are always completely full at national level.

The area of rugby where attendances are low is at AIL level and more so at junior rugby level, but that's a completely different conversation than what's happening here.

Low on skill? Sexton Drop Goal against France under huge pressure in final seconds from huge distance.

Overhyped? Ireland potential world champions, Leinster potention european champions AGAIN!!

Ok your post is trolling.

Oh great. Another thread about how rugby is only for snobs, **** and event junkies.

Couldn't we just link to some shyte by Ewen Mackenna and have done with it?

No we are saying it’s not just for snobs, but more should be done for working class interests. Dry your eyes mate

sydthebeat wrote: »
    This whole thread is based on the incorrect assumption that rugby attendances are low.

They certainly aren't at provincial level, and are always completely full at national level.

The area of rugby where attendances are low is at AIL level and more so at junior rugby level, but that's a completely different conversation than what's happening here.

RDS attendance isn’t great.

No we are saying it’s not just for snobs, but more should be done for working class interests. Dry your eyes mate
    But what more should be done? schools are attended by development officers, schools entered in competitions and play in blitz days.
    There is clubs available for kids to play(and adults).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Fair play to anyone who plays, attends, or watches rugby . Each to their own. But low attendance should be no surprise

Did you really need to create a new account just for such bland and generic platitudes?

Exactly the over hype I mentioned, leinster European champions of 6 nations .over 50 nations in Europe

Exactly the over hype I mentioned, leinster European champions of 6 nations .over 50 nations in Europe

That some don’t have a rugby team based in.

• Advertisement

Dozens of European teams compete in the European championships every year. The Six Nations is just the top tier.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement