Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby attendance

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Bubblegummers

But what more should be done? schools are attended by development officers, schools entered in competitions and play in blitz days.
    There is clubs available for kids to play(and adults).

Not all schools see a program, D.Os. There is one school in D12 who do out of over 10.

Can more be done?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Ruben Sosa

troyzer wrote: »
    Dozens of European teams compete in the European championships every year. The Six Nations is just the top tier.

No promotion relegation??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Not all schools see a program, D.Os. There is one school in D12 who do out of over 10.

Can more be done?
    Some school principals etc dont let rugby go in to the school. what more would you suggest?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Ruben Sosa wrote: »
    Dozens of European teams compete in the European championships every year. The Six Nations is just the top tier.

No promotion relegation??

No, those teams aren't ready yet.

There's no point in Italy getting relegated, Georgia gets promoted, Italy wins all of its matches and Georgia loses all of its matches, they switch roles and rinse and repeat.

There's too big a gap between the top teams and the rest, most of which aren't professional.

But there are still over 40 teams in Europe competing every year.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,085 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Advertisement

Some school principals etc dont let rugby go in to the school. what more would you suggest?

Any proof?

sydthebeat wrote: »

Last 2 at RDS where 16200 and 14000.

RDS roughly holds 18k 19k for such a small stadium and big support base would you not expect better. I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Any proof?

I went to a CBS in North Dublin and despite numerous petitions/requests, soccer and rugby weren't allowed because they thought they'd hinder the GAA teams. Happens quite regularly.

I went to a CBS in North Dublin and despite numerous petitions/requests, soccer and rugby weren't allowed because they thought they'd hinder the GAA teams. Happens quite regularly.

Well I know 2 schools in my area who have asked for IRFU to come in- to no avail they then asked Rugby league officials to come in and they did.

Last 2 at RDS where 16200 and 14000.

RDS roughly holds 18k 19k for such a small stadium and big support base would you not expect better. I do.

No I don't expect a Friday evening game against the ospreys to get a large crowd.
    And almost 17,000 versus connacht three days before Christmas is also about as good as could be expected.

Leinster sold 12,500 season tickets for this season.

There is no low attendance problem with the provinces.... They are in fact running at record high figures.

• Advertisement

No I don't expect a Friday evening game against the ospreys to get a large crowd.
    And almost 17,000 versus connacht three days before Christmas is also about as good as could be expected.

Leinster sold 12,500 season tickets for this season.

There is no low attendance problem with the provinces.... They are in fact running at record high figures.

I’d expect Leinster to be selling the RDS weekly.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Exactly the over hype I mentioned, leinster European champions of 6 nations .over 50 nations in Europe

Personally I rather a shorter and more competitive tournament than the crap soccer serves up. But toneach their own. It’s sad that some can’t celebrate Irish success when it happens.

A few years ago sky sports renamed their channels, going from sky sports 1,2,3,4 and 5.
    Now it's
    1 main event
    2 premier league
    3 football
    4 cricket
    5 golf
    6 f1
    7 action
    8 arena
    Rugby is on action/ arena along with netball, kabaddi, and wwf wrestling

A few years ago sky sports renamed their channels, going from sky sports 1,2,3,4 and 5.
    Now it's
    1 main event
    2 premier league
    3 football
    4 cricket
    5 golf
    6 f1
    7 action
    8 arena

And?

And?

Shows Rugby isn't as big as some like to make out, don't believe the hype

Any proof?
    Very difficult as wont necessarily be written anywhere but you can see fintans sutton rugby facebook page and comment from a parent saying well done on the growth of rugby in the school especially considering the school once didnt want the sport played there....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Morrison J

The truth is that a large portion of rugby fans in this country are bandwagoners and instagram hounds. They go to Irish rugby games to be seen or make it known they were there with the result of the game being secondary to them. The Pro 14 product just isn't glamorous enough to reel in that demographic.

And?

Shows Rugby isn't as big as some like to make out, don't believe the hype

Sky don't have a dedicated Rugby channel because they don't have exclusive Rugby rights to anything except the Premiership and English Rugby matches.

The reason why they have a cricket channel for example is because it's pretty much the only channel you can watch cricket on, same for F1.

Sky don't have a dedicated Rugby channel because they don't have exclusive Rugby rights to anything except the Premiership and English Rugby matches.

The reason why they have a cricket channel for example is because it's pretty much the only channel you can watch cricket on, same for F1.
    T

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Whitters22

BT actually have the Premiership. Sky only have Summer and November Internationals so a standalone channel wouldn't make sense alright.

• Advertisement

Whitters22 wrote: »

BT actually have the Premiership. Sky only have Summer and November Internationals so a standalone channel wouldn't make sense alright.

Fair point, I forgot that.

So basically all Sky has is the Top14 (which nobody outside of France cares about really) and England games? I think it might just be England home games.

They have a weird hodge podge of summer tours as well.

Nowhere near enough content to justify an entire channel. They'd have no content 9 months of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I think attendance issues are due to the competition. For instance, Ulster v Zebre would not be as attractive as Ulster v Glasgow.
    The league has problems with the quality of the product.
    The S.A teams are very poor and interest would not be high.
    Diluting the league with more poor teams will also result with less attendees at the provincial stadiums, because the quality is poor.
    Furthermore, looking at the attendance in SA and Wales, the stadiums are almost empty.
    The Connacht v Cheetahs match you could count the fans at the game. If the home sides can't attract people, then the product is very poor and the pricing too high.
    For rugby to grow in Ireland , there needs to be more exposure for kids at a young age.
    My school in north Dublin was a G.A.A stronghold, with many lads going on to play for Dublin. My Commerce teacher was a big rugby man who was associated with Clontarf rugby. On many occasions he tried to get several of us to try rugby and join 'Tarf. But we all wanted to play for Dublin and never really considered it.
    I think he attempted to start a rugby programme at the school but the Christian brothers were having none of it.
    It's funny, cos we all loved watching the 5 nations and were huge fans of the national team.
    The nfl is different as it was set up as a small league with massive rivalries. It has expanded and the marketing is insane. Everyone can play football as there is underage programs in every community and every school has a football team. College football is a business itself and the kids are groomed to try to get to that level.
    For rugby to attract large crowds it needs to be accessible and promoted better. The quality of the teams needs to improve. Nobody wants to part with large sums of money to watch Leinster murder the Lions.
    I regularly watch top 14 highlights and I have noticed the attendance at the stadiums is very good. The French must market the league better and obviously they have bigger populations and moneybags owners, but the point is, there's bums in the seats.
    For the Welch sides, the sides are all poor right now. They all look poorly coached and have no depth. The fans won't come to watch poor sides and the Welch union doesn't have the money to improve things. I think they need private investment as do all the teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Now it's
    1 main event
    2 premier league
    3 football
    4 cricket
    5 golf
    6 f1
    7 action
    8 arena

Sky got outbid for most of the rugby they wanted. So if you want to use Sky as a barometer of how popular rugby is, the answer would be more popular than Sky can afford.

Seriously, why are you even here? You’re not even doing a decent job of pissing in our corn flakes.

Morrison J wrote: »
    The truth is that a large portion of rugby fans in this country are bandwagoners and instagram hounds. They go to Irish rugby games to be seen or make it known they were there with the result of the game being secondary to them. The Pro 14 product just isn't glamorous enough to reel in that demographic.
    People should really stop saying bandwagon and using it so negatively.
    Do irish sports fans have any real tradition of supporting and attending games on a bi weekly basis in a large scale?
    GAA doesnt really. even with the league
    Dubinusa wrote: »
    I think attendance issues are due to the competition. For instance, Ulster v Zebre would not be as attractive as Ulster v Glasgow.
    The league has problems with the quality of the product.
    The S.A teams are very poor and interest would not be high.
    Diluting the league with more poor teams will also result with less attendees at the provincial stadiums, because the quality is poor.
    Furthermore, looking at the attendance in SA and Wales, the stadiums are almost empty.
    The Connacht v Cheetahs match you could count the fans at the game. If the home sides can't attract people, then the product is very poor and the pricing too high.
    For rugby to grow in Ireland, there needs to be more exposure for kids at a young age.
    My school in north Dublin was a G.A.A stronghold, with many lads going on to play for Dublin. My Commerce teacher was a big rugby man who was associated with Clontarf rugby. On many occasions he tried to get several of us to try rugby and join 'Tarf. But we all wanted to play for Dublin and never really considered it.
    I think he attempted to start a rugby programme at the school but the Christian brothers were having none of it.
    It's funny, cos we all loved watching the 5 nations and were huge fans of the national team.
    The nfl is different as it was set up as a small league with massive rivalries. It has expanded and the marketing is insane. Everyone can play football as there is underage programs in every community and every school has a football team. College football is a business itself and the kids are groomed to try to get to that level.
    For rugby to attract large crowds it needs to be accessible and promoted better. The quality of the teams needs to improve. Nobody wants to part with large sums of money to watch Leinster murder the Lions.
    I regularly watch top 14 highlights and I have noticed the attendance at the stadiums is very good. The French must market the league better and obviously they have bigger populations and moneybags owners, but the point is, there's bums in the seats.
    For the Welch sides, the sides are all poor right now. They all look poorly coached and have no depth. The fans won't come to watch poor sides and the Welch union doesn't have the money to improve things. I think they need private investment as do all the teams.
    crowds not attending doesnt necessarily mean the product is poor.
    Cheetahs arent helped by playing in stadium nearly same size as the Aviva.

The number of kids who have access to the sport in Ireland is possibly at its highest ever or close to it.
    The french have a league that is running over 120 years. It isnt simply the french market the league better. They have 100 years of history, experience, rivalries to build on. Welsh sides have private investment and have for some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Ok is this not factual between Tallaght walkinstown Crumlin and drimnagh 41 schools 16 workshops of programs that is factual.

So about 35% penetration in a non traditional rugby area, but the IRFU aren’t doing enough to grow the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭antietam1

The IRFU don’t do enough in working class areas, I went to Terenure for school but from Crumlin- school was rugby but my area knew nothing about it. Workshops by the IRFU that we’re prevalent in middle to upper class school didn’t exist in working class techs or Community schools.

People grow up with little knowledge or interest as a result. My local area and friends who went to school locally in Crumlin will come to 6 nations games with me but when I’m in the RDS or Ravenhill they won’t.

There isn’t enough put in by the IRFU and thays factual in Dublin.

Guinness rfc did their bit in Crumlin.
    Coached kids there myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Rugby - all fur coat and no knickers.

TCM wrote: »
    Rugby - all fur coat and no knickers. knackers

fix yer post there ....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

fix yer post there ....

So you’re saying rugby isn’t inclusive :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

People should really stop saying bandwagon and using it so negatively.

Agree with this 100%

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement