Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭VW 1

Sipping away on my first Japanese whisky, Nikka from the barrel. Delighted herself picked it up, more smoky/peaty than irish whisky but very light and delicate, not overpowering at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Wailin wrote:
    Will be tasting the Glengoyne shortly and can't bloody wait! Have a good one folks.

Well what was the verdict?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Just got my present from my brother, a bottle of bourbon called Noah's Mill. Never heard of it before now but it's extremely highly reviewed online.

At 57% it packs a punch. Going to ease into things by having some Woodford Reserve first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

brinty wrote:
    Anyone else contemplating an MVR purchase in Tesco using their10 quid off every 45 quid spent.. Priced at 167 so spend another 13 wuid and you'll get everything for 140...

dos29 wrote:
    Was thinking the exact same but won't be near a Tesco til 29th. Report if it works if you get a chance please?

Didn't end up getting a bottle of MVR in the end
    Opened my present yesterday morning and the wonderful Ms Brinty was after getting me one. Think she's a keeper lads ;)
    It's a 2018 bottle and I've no intention of opening anytime soon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭Wailin

Cazale wrote: »
    Well what was the verdict?

Bloody gorgeous! Definitely one to let breathe awhile and take your time with.

Full on sherry and spices but intense oak too from the long maturation. You really taste it's age. 48% but no burn at all, just very smooth.

I only had the one dram as had plenty of wine beforehand.

Did you have the Middleton?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Got a nice selection for Christmas (see attachment). Never had the Ardbeg but love peaty malts so looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Wailin wrote:
    Did you have the Middleton?

I did. Very nice but will have to try it fresh without having ate and drink 6000 calories beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,168 ✭✭✭limnam

Cazale wrote: »
    I did. Very nice but will have to try it fresh without having ate and drink 6000 calories beforehand.

Sounds like a great foundation for a tasting session

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Whiskey Eire

I've cracked open a bottle of Lag 16 as my post dinner drink. Needed something different for a bit after yesterdays pot still extravaganza.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Oh yeah, Woodford Reserve to start followed by my present, Noah's Mill. Some heat from it that fades, lovely, lovely stuff!

Going back to Irish later with some Green Spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Cormo87

The wife got all my hints this year and got me a 21 year old Read Breast, after it was all I talked about after being at Whiskey live this year

The Whiskey shelf is starting to look good

• Registered Users Posts: 10,576 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

What’s the Lambay whiskey like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

had some Lustau after dinner yesterday, so very festive. Got a bottle of Laphroaig Select in Newry at the weekend for 20 odd pound and that was smashed through on Christmas Eve with my two brothers, nearly gone already ooops :P love it though.

Have been gifted Highland Park 12 and Johnny Walker Black, I like em both. I bought a bottle of Woodford for a mate and had a taste, it's really good. Might be my new favourite entry level bourbon. Might have Nikka from the Barrel or Green Spot Leo for this evening. Some good whiskey drinking been had this Christmas, stomach is in bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,833 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Disappointed with the small batch given the price. Trying to be a cognac nearly. Had a nice long finish though.

Havent had the single malt.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,943 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Disappointed with the small batch given the price. Trying to be a cognac nearly. Had a nice long finish though.

Havent had the single malt.

The cheek of it.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Cormo87

I like the Lambay, received it as a gift. Find myself sitting down to have one glass and end up having 3/4 glasses

• Registered Users Posts: 28,833 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Re: the Lambay cognac angle, it's produced in partnership with a French cognac company in their old barrels.
    It is nice - I'd be very happy to receive it as a gift - but thought that at 40+ euros you are comparing it against the likes of Writers Tears & Bushmills 10yo which I much prefer.
    But if you're a whiskey drinker who also likes cognac, you might find it just right.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

Got a bottle of Red Bush as a present, don't like the look of it at all even though it smells well.
    Got a set of Lismore tumblers too, can't see the hype really even though there's a very "soft" lip to them. RB 12 year old onto a Bushmills next.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,485 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Brother in law was a Christmas dinner guest, he didn't arrive with one arm as long as the other and kindly brought me a Cardhu 12yo single malt. Hardly any peat at all, but that's fine as far as I'm concerned. On one level it's quite good, if you'd told me it was a NAS Scotch I'd say it was very good, but I'd be somewhat disappointed with the lack of depth and complexity of flavour for a 12yo single malt (nowhere near a RB12 for instance.) I can see how it's a good basis for blends (Cardhu forms the backbone of Johnny Walker) and it's by no means a bad whisk(e)y but I wouldn't be rushing out to buy myself another.

I'm now working my way through the Writers Tears Copper Pot gift set that I bought for myself - very nice indeed and the two tasting glasses are imho the perfect size and shape for whiskey.

468930.jpg

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Single pot still whiskey like RB12 is made from a mash that incudes unmalted barley, so you wouldn't expect a similarly aged single malt to be as complex.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭minzabud

Thailand bound, picked up 3 bottles for company in Dublin Airport- Redbreast 12 Cask Strength, Redbreast Lustau and a bottle of Yellow Spot, came to about 155e😎

• Registered Users Posts: 39,188 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Single pot still whiskey like RB12 is made from a mash that incudes unmalted barley, so you wouldn't expect a similarly aged single malt to be as complex.
    This.
    RB12 is a great 12yo. It's not fair to use it as a bench mark - although we all do it around here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Brother in law was a Christmas dinner guest, he didn't arrive with one arm as long as the other and kindly brought me a Cardhu 12yo single malt. Hardly any peat at all, but that's fine as far as I'm concerned. On one level it's quite good, if you'd told me it was a NAS Scotch I'd say it was very good, but I'd be somewhat disappointed with the lack of depth and complexity of flavour for a 12yo single malt (nowhere near a RB12 for instance.) I can see how it's a good basis for blends (Cardhu forms the backbone of Johnny Walker) and it's by no means a bad whisk(e)y but I wouldn't be rushing out to buy myself another.

I'm now working my way through the Writers Tears Copper Pot gift set that I bought for myself - very nice indeed and the two tasting glasses are imho the perfect size and shape for whiskey.

468930.jpg

Went to order this on Tesco this morning and it's sold out. Was there last night!!

Got myself Tallisker however before Christmas so may open that tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

When the wife asked me what to tell people I wanted for Christmas when they asked I said books and Whiskey.

Now most years this would see me receive a wide variety of presents including everything but books and whiskey because "everyone will be getting him that".

This year was different.

I had an unopened RB 21 all set to go for Christmas day but it remains sealed as I got exactly what I asked for.

The wife/daughter started the day well by producing a Writers Tears Copper Pot gift set.
    We then headed over to the in laws for dinner her mother gave me a Teelings set with the single malt, small batch and single grain.
    In comes the sister in law with a bag of presents including a drinks by the dram Christmas set for me. It contains Four Roses, Tullamore D.E.W 12y/o, Lagavulin. Nikka Coffey and Glenfarclas.

The Whiskey shelf at home already had opened bottles of Laphroaig, Connemara and RB 12.

As we have a 10 month old we were home and settled nice and early on Christmas night so I cracked open the Writers Tears. First one was neat, then one with a splash of water and a 3rd with an ice cube.
    Had a few RB 12 after that and called it a night.

Yesterday evening I started with a teelings single malt, back to the writers tears and then hit the Four Roses.

Back in work today but looking forward to getting home to continue working my way through it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,485 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Intrigued as to how you have a wife/daughter, but admiring of your relatives' good taste in whiskey nonetheless.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Intrigued as to how you have a wife/daughter, but admiring of your relatives' good taste in whiskey nonetheless.

Hahaha yeah that is not how it was supposed to look. They are 2 seperate people. Whiskey was from my daughter but being a 10 month old I assume the wife had a part to play in it's purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Got a bottle of Black Barrel off me brother for Christmas.

What's the best way to drink it? I had one on ice last night really nice just not that often Ive drink whisky by itself!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭Wailin

Stick with the ice if you enjoy it that way. Maybe reduce the amount eventually until you're only using one cube. Chilling a whiskey with ice can inhibit flavour, some notice, some don't.

Got a bottle of Black Barrel off me brother for Christmas.

What's the best way to drink it? I had one on ice last night really nice just not that often Ive drink whisky by itself!

on its own or with a few mls of water.

ice mutes the flavour considerably so unless you really don't like the taste don't use ice.

you'll acquire the taste for it that way soon enough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Ya I think I had bit to much ice in it last night!

I think it's just the fear of the burn ha. Actually much smoother then I imagined it to be I'm just not used to drinking whisky by itself ha.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement