Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redmi Note 5 3/32gb €139.99 pre-pay from three (unlocked)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

So would should I go 5 or 6?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Has the price now jumped to €200 for this by the way?

https://www.three.ie/brand/xiaomi/xiaomi-redmi-note-5/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

If you keep clicking you get to the offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

"...My son has had his note for a grand total of 17 days and it's gone back to three completely dead,won't turn on etc.
    Googling throws up loads of people with the same problem.Just saying..."

Now a month in three/sbe's hands,still not fixed and no date for when I'll get it back(it's on holiday in the SBE escalation centre in the UK at the moment)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

I've had my note for nearly a year. Best phone I'd had. Camera is ridiculously good. UI dead quick and every 3/4 weeks there is OTA updates available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,765 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

sasta le wrote: »
    So would should I go 5 or 6?

dont get the 2 handsets mixed up in Three store - one is Redmi Note5 and the other one is Redmi6

Totally 2 different handsets with huge difference in specs (processor etc)

however there is a redmi note6 pro out on the online china european warehouse that might be worth a punt - but its a big one at 6.26" though, some might find that too big

machalla wrote: »

be aware of an inconsistency on that three link:

says on that page :

Processor Snapdragon 630 – Octa-Core 2.2

Processor in mine from 3 is Snapdragon 636 octacore 1.8ghz max

think 199eur pre-pay if you dont want to switch over to 3 and keep your own provider sim to use in it

the way the (helpful) saleswoman in three store donr it with me so I could get it for 149eur was told me to go get a pre-pay sim from tesco mobile (or other mobile pre-pay card) and then she 'ported' the 3 number to the other SIM.

So I now still have my Tesco Mobile bill pay SIM (to which I am still in contract) and a Three SIM ... but the phone has 2 SIM slots on it so i can use both Tesco Mobile & 3 Sim in it if I wanted.

But yeah anyway if you want to buy it outright as a pre-pay unlocked redmi note 5 then it will cost 199.00 just for the handset.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Note 5 or the Mi A2 Lite ?
    Any recommendations ?

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

so is this phone, when you buy a sim and change number. sim-free in the end.
    has anybody bought the note 5 and put any sim card into it without having to unlock it.

thanks

• Advertisement

Monkeynut wrote: »
    so is this phone, when you buy a sim and change number. sim-free in the end.
    has anybody bought the note 5 and put any sim card into it without having to unlock it.

thanks

yep - I did just that . All the Xiaomi phones are unlocked in the 3 store - you can pop any sim in them bill pay or pre-pay

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

Funkyzeit wrote: »
    I've had my note for nearly a year. Best phone I'd had. Camera is ridiculously good. UI dead quick and every 3/4 weeks there is OTA updates available.
    Has it been out a year?

vandriver wrote: »
    Has it been out a year?

according to gsmarena:

Available. Released 2018, February

Zardoz wrote: »
    Note 5 or the Mi A2 Lite ?
    Any recommendations ?

according to gsmarena the Mi A2 Lite is a Redmi 6 pro.

newer than the Note 5 - came out in july 2018
    octacore snapdragon chip 2.0ghz
    android 9 (pie)
    same rear camera

but 3 dont do the redmi 6 pro or Mi A2 as far as I know (they do the redmi 6 - but thats a different phone with a mtk chip and lower specs) if thats where you were thinking of buying it from

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

yep - I did just that . All the Xiaomi phones are unlocked in the 3 store - you can pop any sim in them bill pay or pre-pay
    Does it then lock to the first SIM it encounters, or stay unlocked so you can swap providers?

Does it then lock to the first SIM it encounters, or stay unlocked so you can swap providers?

good question that - i dont know the answer to that one, i thought when they are unlocked they are unlocked and that is that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,248 ✭✭✭corkie

Funkyzeit wrote: »
    vandriver wrote: »
    Has it been out a year?
    according to gsmarena:

Available. Released 2018, February

The Indian Version was launched in February.

The Global/China Version was launched in March. But April for global version.

But didn't come available to purchase from reliable resellers till around May.

I know because, I purchased mine then.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ EU Digital ID ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

good question that - i dont know the answer to that one, i thought when they are unlocked they are unlocked and that is that
    I bought a Tesco Moto phone before and it was initially unlocked but locked to 3 as soon as I put the SIM in. Would prefer not to have to do all the research on "which network" before setting up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,248 ✭✭✭corkie

I bought a Tesco Moto phone before and it was initially unlocked but locked to 3 as soon as I put the SIM in. Would prefer not to have to do all the research on "which network" before setting up.

The Three Xiaomi devices come with stock global miui rom, it would require a vendor rom for it to be locked to a network once used.

Query in the linked Three thread, if your unsure.

Edit: Boards Three Talk To forum closing in January

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ EU Digital ID ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,815 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Too late for Christmas order online now - especially with no sim - so will have to try the shop over weekend.. hoping they've stock!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

I picked one up in store. Three now have a policy that they won't sell them unless you take a €20 topup with the phone. Total price €160.

I heard the staff talking and its due to people coming in with Lyca sims that cost nothing to get (which surprised me).

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The Note 6 Pro is £140 on Amazon today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

TitianGerm wrote: »
    The Note 6 Pro is £140 on Amazon today.

Not that price now £194.84 for the 32BG 3GB one.
    £219 for the 64GB 4GB RAM

califano wrote: »
    Not that price now £194.84 for the 32BG 3GB one.
    £219 for the 64GB 4GB RAM

It was a daily offer yesterday. Might pop up again over the next few days.

I picked one up in store. Three now have a policy that they won't sell them unless you take a €20 topup with the phone. Total price €160.

I heard the staff talking and its due to people coming in with Lyca sims that cost nothing to get (which surprised me).

I had to buy a tesco mobile pre-pay SIM with no credit on it , cost €10.

Last October I were up in Enniskillen shopping centre you could just pick up any SIM cards from loads of popular suppliers and they were free. Just hanging up on the racks just as you went into the shop and you could take one . Poundland was one of the shops up there that had them hanging up. (Poundland = Dealz here in the republic)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 OsZa

Eir offer free sim card, just need to wait for 2 days. On eir website locate Mobile, Prepay, Order a SIM. It's FREE ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,815 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Went into a local shop here and got a Lycamobile sim free.. then into Three. Job done.

Thanks OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭cletus

I went to Tesco, my current provider, got a simple free when I bought a €15 top-up. Used top up on my original number the following month.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭bondja80

I decided to order xiaomi note 6 pro from amazon for 140£. Is not big difference in price, delivery date is between 15. january and 17.february. Also I used 35£ amazon vouchers, so phone came to 105£, 117e.

• Advertisement

TitianGerm wrote: »
    It was a daily offer yesterday. Might pop up again over the next few days.

The black 4GB/64GB is £179 on Amazon now.

Advertisement