Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redmi Note 5 3/32gb €139.99 pre-pay from three (unlocked)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ralphie

bondja80 wrote: »
    because delivery time is 2-5 working days, and when is from china then it says cn or hk and is much longer delivery time.
    check this site, says that fast-08 is warehouse in poland.
    https://couponsfromchina.com/2018/03/26/gearbest-warehouse-location/

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Just as an FYI, gearbest do not have an EU warehouse. If you have a problem you have to return it to them in China. An absolute nightmare to deal with.

It's ok though, they paid for an official forum here so they wouldn't get banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭bondja80

RossieMan wrote: »
    Just as an FYI, gearbest do not have an EU warehouse. If you have a problem you have to return it to them in China. An absolute nightmare to deal with.

It's ok though, they paid for an official forum here so they wouldn't get banned.
    They have warehouses in europe. I got one phone from eu warehouse in 7 days last year and I didn't pay import duty. But for repairs you will need to send phone to china. That is big risk, it is much better to buy on amazon or in shops, but sometimes more expensive.

So they don't have an EU warehouse.

They have a lone they send phones from China to the EU. It's very different than a warehouse. A warehouse has both incomings and outgoings. GB is one way.

So they don't have an EU warehouse.

They have a lone they send phones from China to the EU. It's very different than a warehouse. A warehouse has both incomings and outgoings. GB is one way.
    yes that is correct. Advantages are that they will send you phone from eu, you get phone faster and and you don't need to pay import duty. Everything else is like you are buying a phone in china. I would never buy expensive phone or another expensive item on gearbest. The most I am shopping on amazon.

• Advertisement

I know how it works.

No advantages of buying from gearbest. Most items are cheaper on AliExpress anyway. More protection there.

I know how it works.

No advantages of buying from gearbest. Most items are cheaper on AliExpress anyway. More protection there.
    you will need to pay import duty on alieexpress at least 30e

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

If somebody is interested, xiaomi note 6 pro(3gb 32 gb) for 157e shipping from europe union 3-7 business days.
    https://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_009525616845.html?wid=1090517#goodsDetail

I'm just wondering if this would have been a better phone for me (and my bad eyesite) now rather than the Redmi 5 Note because it has a bigger screen

I nearly always feel I seem to do this , do my research (or I think) and buy something and then a couple of days later see something that maybe I should have bought instead .

I bought a phone from Gearbest once a UMi phone it was . I ordered it along with a phone case for it with a window in the front - both ordered same time . - the Phone itself came from europe warehouse within a week , pretty fast ... the cover for it was in China lol .. so had to use the phone for about 3 or 4 weeks without a case for it until it come.

I put my Redmi Note 5 on charge - it says 'charging rapidly' and after its charged it says "100% - 16 Hours use left" - strange one that , as its 4000mah battery and all the blurb and websites say that you get a day or a day and a half out of the phone with a full charge.

Now, it would be not the supplied charger out of the box I am using it would be a Samsung original charger I am using (dont know the amperage yet , will report back with that)

Has anyone else bought this phone and seen what it says underneath the 100% if it says 16 Hours left the same as mine?

- on other thing I am thinking of is that a few apps I have told 'not to sleep' when screen goes off in the battery saver settings. Maybe thats why its only saying 16hours for me?. - Dont have bluetooth on , mobile data turned off, and automatic brightness on screen.

my lad said they charge you 20% + handling delivered an post if the item is 22euro or more and not marked as a 'gift'

• Advertisement

That was years ago.

They've caught onto that now. I've ordered about a dozen phones and not once been stopped.

Luck of the draw though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭corkie

@Andy From Sligo

Battery life is good on the device, on a different rom. But usually get a full day of use with approx 40% battery remaining. I'm a pretty heavy user and play games, use VPN downloading etc. So at times I would have less than that remaining.

Android can be poor at estimating battery life, especially when you take it of the charger.

You could install accubattery app and get better estimates. It takes about a month of charge cycles while powered on to get accurate estimates of battery capacity.

Would not believe in its Health Reports, as I had a pretty degraded battery in my nexus 9 and it was still reporting approx 85% health (battery replaced today).

The app will also report what apps are using up the battery, so you will be able to detect if any rogue app is causing wakelocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭honda boi

I've bought plenty of phones from AliExpress using sellers that ship without customs.
    Not much difference is prices with other sellers that ship from China that could get caught for customs

corkie wrote: »
    @Andy From Sligo

Battery life is good on the device, on a different rom. But usually get a full day of use with approx 40% battery remaining. I'm a pretty heavy user and play games, use VPN downloading etc. So at times I would have less than that remaining.

Android can be poor at estimating battery life, especially when you take it of the charger.

You could install accubattery app and get better estimates. It takes about a month of charge cycles while powered on to get accurate estimates of battery capacity.

Would not believe in its Health Reports, as I had a pretty degraded battery in my nexus 9 and it was still reporting approx 85% health (battery replaced today).

The app will also report what apps are using up the battery, so you will be able to detect if any rogue app is causing wakelocks.

thanks I will give that a go

• Registered Users Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Is the Redmi Note 5 from Three dual sim ?

Zardoz wrote: »

yep it appears to be - although at the moment i have not physically tried it with 2 sims in it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭cletus

Zardoz wrote: »

It is. I've had both a three a Tesco SIM in, no problems. However, if you're using a micro SD card, it will take one of the slots. There are videos about gluing a simple card to the micro SD, but haven't bothered trying that out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Honorbuy.com will usually have the cheapest prices on Xiaomi phones, and they ship legit global ROMs from an EU warehouse (mine shipped from Italy). Gsmarena's Xiaomi reviews are usually honorbuy units.

Downside is you need a registered PayPal account or provide AML documents (driving licence and Bill) but service is top notch from my limited experience.

Honorbuy.com will usually have the cheapest prices on Xiaomi phones, and they ship legit global ROMs from an EU warehouse (mine shipped from Italy). Gsmarena's Xiaomi reviews are usually honorbuy units.

Downside is you need a registered PayPal account or provide AML documents (driving licence and Bill) but service is top notch from my limited experience.

how long did yours take to come from italy?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Overnight after order was picked up. They say 2-5 business days. Delivered by DHL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭anitaca

cletus wrote: »
    It is. I've had both a three a Tesco SIM in, no problems. However, if you're using a micro SD card, it will take one of the slots. There are videos about gluing a simple card to the micro SD, but haven't bothered trying that out
    What size fit? I couldn't figure out how to get the sim to fit in the microsd slot.

Overnight after order was picked up. They say 2-5 business days. Delivered by DHL

that was very reasonable wait

anitaca wrote: »
    What size fit? I couldn't figure out how to get the sim to fit in the microsd slot.

That is because the device takes a Nano Sim, get a Trio sim from your provider.

corkie wrote: »
    That is because the device takes a Nano Sim, get a Trio sim from your provider.

thats an interesting concept - what is that your mobile number on 3 different size SIM cards is it?

thats an interesting concept - what is that your mobile number on 3 different size SIM cards is it?

No it is on the nano sim, but comes on a card you pull the required sim out of.

trio_sim_no_shadow.png

And if you need the other sim type for older phone, u can put the sim into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭cletus

Anybody recommend a good cover. Looking for the rubberised reinforced types, rather that the fake leather flip cover jobs

Anybody recommend a good cover. Looking for the rubberised reinforced types, rather that the fake leather flip cover jobs

cant really beat ebay i suppose for wide range of covers.

I want to get a 'window' type one for mine some time

I like the rubberised back that comes in the packaging , got a nice feel and stops the phone from slipping out of the hands

just been reading up some spec's on wikipedia (as I normally do AFTER I buy the phone)

The rear camera's on the phone are made by Samsung on the Global version f1.9 for the main camera so no wonder the pictures come out nice and bright and its pretty good in low light.

interestingly the india version of this phone uses a Sony exmor f2.2 sensor/lens for its main rear camera.

The Global front camera is 13mp pretty impressive but a name I havent heard of 'omnivison' sensor - but its ggod quality, best I have ever had for a front camera resolution on a phone before.

however the India version uses a 20mp front camera, Sony exmor

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭balcan

Got this case

Anjoo Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Case,... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07B8CS1LF?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Very good fit and feel, adds a little bulk but feels very solid.

• Advertisement

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KAPAVER-Xiaomi-Premium-Rugged-Shockproof-x/dp/B079T9TQGY/ref=sr_1_16?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1544910427&sr=1-16&keywords=redmi+note+5+case

Advertisement