Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Employer forcing me to work over Christmas

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Elmo wrote: »
    If you have family reason for not working, you should plan for this, and that includes on call work, because that would be very in considerate for both the work place and colleagues who end up in an emergency and can't get to work.

If your not on call, don't answer your phone for work on your days off. Simple.

As I said I wouldn't do this, but I don't see any other option for the OP. The nuclear option is to quit, not very considerate at all.

They did plan for it, that's why they are on annual leave and OP is scheduled to work.

The irony of you saying the colleagues should have arranged not to be on sick cover if they want the day off, while actively encouraging the OP to pull a sicky isn't lost on me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭oceanman

jack the job in, look for a new one in the new year, plenty of work out there at the moment. life is too short for that sh1t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

SusieBlue wrote: »
    They did plan for it, that's why they are on annual leave and OP is scheduled to work.

The irony of you saying the colleagues should have arranged not to be on sick cover if they want the day off, while actively encouraging the OP to pull a sicky isn't lost on me.

From what I can see the OP did plan and asked for the time off.

If you are on sick cover and end up sick, the company would have to deal with that also, but if you were the OP and need time off and knew but opted for on-call cover you'd be in the wrong to think you won't be called in.

If you are annual leave as I said, you don't pick up the phone from work, your on annual leave, let the on-call person deal with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

seamus wrote: »
    I absolutely side with the OP on this. In her shoes I'd be inclined to just tell them I won't be in and deal with the consequences.

But the law is not on her side. There's no legal loophole she can use here to get her out of work next week.

Legal, no technically not I suppose. But she absolutely can take the whole of Christmas week off if she really wants to and the only thing it will cost her is a weeks wages, the cost of a doctors visit and an unpleasant work atmosphere (which she already has by the sounds of things)

Screw them OP - prioritise yourself over your job every single time.

I say this as someone who doesn't take sickies, but that's purely because I've been fortunate enough to not have to. Should the day ever arrive where I have to spin a doctor an auld yarn to get a week or two off, that's precisely what i'll do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

prioritise yourself over your job every single time.
    This. Jobs come and go. Family are more important than money.

Let's get morbid for a second OP, I apologise in advance;

If things were to turn out for the worst next year, would you rather remember that you stayed in Dublin over Xmas in order to keep your job, or that you told your job to stuff it so that you could home and spend Xmas with your mother?

You already know the answer to this, I'm just trying to put it in perspective. You don't need this job that much.

You tell your boss, "I am going home on Sunday night and I'll be back in work next Thursday". He can't physically force you to stay, so just do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭mikekerry

"This. Jobs come and go. Family are more important than money."
    spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

OP you should do whatever is best for yourself but frankly I don’t think the employer has done anything wrong. It sounds like they did right by you during the year and your no more entitled to Christmas Day off than anyone you work with. If it really doesn’t suit you don’t do it and deal with the consequences afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Call in sick for three or four days, go to the doctor, tell him you're suffering from the stress that this is all causing you and get a note from him. They can't touch you then.

Call in sick for three or four days, go to the doctor, tell him you're suffering from the stress that this is all causing you and get a note from him. They can't touch you then.

They can always do something, they will drive her out by giving her terrible shifts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It's very naive to think that there will be no consequences further down the line for an employee who blatently messes their employer around like this. Do you really think the magic sick note means they won't know what you have done?

Take the day off if you want, but I would have a damn good think about your future in that company if you do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

salmocab wrote: »
    They can always do something, they will drive her out by giving her terrible shifts.

Constructive dismissal, nice little earner that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭qxtasybe1nwfh2

It's unfair to expect preferential treatment from a company that operates 24/7 365. You don't want to work Christmas, get a different job, one that doesn't operate at Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

SusieBlue wrote:
    As this will be unexpected & unaccounted for, it will upend all their plans and potentially ruin their Christmas. Imagine getting that phone call Christmas day and how gutted you'd be if that happened you.

SusieBlue wrote:
    Not very considerate of his/her fellow colleagues who may have their own family dramas going on, who will be called in on their day off on Christmas Day to cover the shift. Very selfish imo.

On both of these scenarios I have no sympathy for anyone getting called in on an Xmas day.
    Why oh why would anyone answer their phone to their employer on Xmas day?!
    OP is dead right to be selfish. Look after yourself always. Your family come first over any job. Especially a job that only gives time and a third on public holidays.
    OP you have outlined to them way in advance. Say nothing until Xmas day and then call in sick.
    Have a brilliant Xmas with your mum. It's been a tough year on ye so make it special for yourselves and deal with any crap in the new year. All they can really do is give you anyway once you have a good record with them.
    The place is toxic as you pointed out already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭oceanman

It's very naive to think that there will be no consequences further down the line for an employee who blatently messes their employer around like this. Do you really think the magic sick note means they won't know what you have done?

Take the day off if you want, but I would have a damn good think about your future in that company if you do.
    would you want a future in a company like that is the question ?

Constructive dismissal, nice little earner that.

Very easy to get around that where shift work is involved.

• Advertisement

Also if I was off Christmas Day and one of the lads I worked with pulled a stunt and I had to work he’d bloody regret it afterwards.

salmocab wrote:
    Also if I was off Christmas Day and one of the lads I worked with pulled a stunt and I had to work he’d bloody regret it afterwards.

It'd be your own fault for answering the phone in the first place

idnkph wrote: »
    It'd be your own fault for answering the phone in the first place

Places like that probably have a call system, it’s not as straight forward in some jobs or the supervisor may be required to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Legal, no technically not I suppose. But she absolutely can take the whole of Christmas week off if she really wants to and the only thing it will cost her is a weeks wages, the cost of a doctors visit and an unpleasant work atmosphere (which she already has by the sounds of things)

Screw them OP - prioritise yourself over your job every single time.

I say this as someone who doesn't take sickies, but that's purely because I've been fortunate enough to not have to. Should the day ever arrive where I have to spin a doctor an auld yarn to get a week or two off, that's precisely what i'll do!

She of course could still be disciplined even with a doctors note, more likely since she requested holidays, was turned down and then produces a sick note. It’s still absence from work and I’ve seem employers discipline over certified sick leave, particularly in these circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

It's not fair to expect your GP to write a sick cert for you if you are not sick.
    For those of you saying just get a sick note....i think t it is presumptuous of you to assume that your GP would write a sick cert if you are not sick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

So as for the “screw them all ring in sick” advice. It’s a bit ****ty on whoever will be called on at the last minute to cover, maybe their parent is sick too ? It’s incredibly selfish and also likely to lead or issues at work and a poor reference if op does move job.

If op was scheduled to be in then it’s teally a done deal. I’ve worked a few myself including nights and it’s no fun, but if your in a business that requires it then it goes with the job.

If you will need a reference to move job then I’d say keep your nose clean, then in the new year reevaluate your job with a view to moving to a better position somewhere else.

Unscheduled absence following denial of annual leave is not the sort of thing that goes well in a reference if your hoping to move job.

Maybe a reference doesn’t matter to you and you don’t mind acting selfishly towards your coworkers, but it’s a low thing to do. The time to fight this has passed and now it’s just get in and do it.

Wesser wrote:
    It's not fair to expect your GP to write a sick cert for you if you are not sick. For those of you saying just get a sick note....i think t it is presumptuous of you to assume that your GP would write a sick cert if you are not sick.

Yeah you are right. Imagine asking a doctor to fill in a piece of paper to say that you were ill... And then having the cheek to give the 55 quid for it too. Some people?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Doctors notes are not magic. Op could easily face disciplinary proceedings and be let go.

On both of these scenarios I have no sympathy for anyone getting called in on an Xmas day.
    Why oh why would anyone answer their phone to their employer on Xmas day?!
    OP is dead right to be selfish. Look after yourself always. Your family come first over any job. Especially a job that only gives time and a third on public holidays.
    OP you have outlined to them way in advance. Say nothing until Xmas day and then call in sick.
    Have a brilliant Xmas with your mum. It's been a tough year on ye so make it special for yourselves and deal with any crap in the new year. All they can really do is give you anyway once you have a good record with them.
    The place is toxic as you pointed out already.

If someone MUST work as per what the OP said then they obviously have an on call system for cases where the rostered person falls sick.
    They work in teams of 3 so presumably one of the other two colleagues will have to be called in.

This in itself would be unfortunate if OP had actually become too unwell to head into work, but I think it’s the height of selfishness to assume OPs Christmas with her family is of higher importance than her colleagues chance to spend their day with theirs.
    You have no idea of what’s going on in their lives either and they may have sick relatives as OP does.

It’s a day that nobody wants to work and OP has drawn the short straw.
    It’s awful and I strongly sympathize but imagine sitting down to your Christmas dinner only to get a phone call to come into work because OP is ‘sick’?
    It’s an extremely nasty thing to do to her colleagues. How would you feel if it was done to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Yeah you are right. Imagine asking a doctor to fill in a piece of paper to say that you were ill... And then having the cheek to give the 55 quid for it too. Some people?!

Forget about the money side of it.
    You are asking the Dr to.lie.
    Op is not sick.
    Would you be ok if your Dr lied to you?

Would you be ok with people asking solicitors etc to lie on their behalf? They are getting paid.....

• Registered Users Posts: 20 shanno66

If someone MUST work as per what the OP said then they obviously have an on call system for cases where the rostered person falls sick.
    They work in teams of 3 so presumably one of the other two colleagues will have to be called in.

This in itself would be unfortunate if OP had actually become too unwell to head into work, but I think it’s the height of selfishness to assume OPs Christmas with her family is of higher importance than her colleagues chance to spend their day with theirs.
    You have no idea of what’s going on in their lives either and they may have sick relatives as OP does.

It’s a day that nobody wants to work and OP has drawn the short straw.
    It’s awful and I strongly sympathize but imagine sitting down to your Christmas dinner only to get a phone call to come into work because OP is ‘sick’?
    It’s an extremely nasty thing to do to her colleagues. How would you feel if it was done to you?

Thats not how security works. Nobodys on call, Op can refuse the shift and the contracts manager will send in a cover guard for the day. Or send someone from a different site depending on how importand the clients site is.

There is always plenty of people willing to do shifts during the holidays but unless op forces there hand they wont even bother trying

Op stand your ground and tell them you are not available and if the roster you in you wont be there.

Go home and spend time with your family and dont give it another thought until after the holidays

salmocab wrote:
    Places like that probably have a call system, it’s not as straight forward in some jobs or the supervisor may be required to do it.

Not the OPs problem. She had made them aware of travel problems etc all well in advance.
    OP needs to think of herself not her supervisor or anyone on call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I know a girl working in a nursing home and they get double time on Christmas Day

Wesser wrote:
    Would you be ok with people asking solicitors etc to lie on their behalf? They are getting paid.....

What planet do you live on that you think a solicitor didn't lie?
    And the doctor doesn't have to lie just sign a piece of paper for the OP.
    Nobody dies in that scenario. It's not a big deal

Not the OPs problem. She had made them aware of travel problems etc all well in advance.
    OP needs to think of herself not her supervisor or anyone on call.

I actually said earlier she should do what’s best for her, that doesn’t mean it’s not a crappy thing to do to someone else. Even if she keeps her job I doubt her work mates will tolerate her next year and the place will really be toxic.

• Advertisement

salmocab wrote:
    I actually said earlier she should do what’s best for her, that doesn’t mean it’s not a crappy thing to do to someone else. Even if she keeps her job I doubt her work mates will tolerate her next year and the place will really be toxic.

It's toxic already. She's not doing it on someone she is doing it on the company.
    If they go calling on other people they can refuse or not answer the phone or say they had a few drinks etc.

It's toxic already. She's not doing it on someone she is doing it on the company.
    If they go calling on other people they can refuse or not answer the phone or say they had a few drinks etc.

You don’t know for a fact that where she works hasn’t got a contingency for this involving someone having to come in.
    Regards it being toxic she said as an afterthought it’s a little bit toxic but they did help her out earlier in the year and she also says she needs this job.

shanno66 wrote: »
    Thats not how security works. Nobodys on call, Op can refuse the shift and the contracts manager will send in a cover guard for the day. Or send someone from a different site depending on how importand the clients site is.

There is always plenty of people willing to do shifts during the holidays but unless op forces there hand they wont even bother trying

Op stand your ground and tell them you are not available and if the roster you in you wont be there.

Go home and spend time with your family and dont give it another thought until after the holidays

If there was an overflow of people crying out to work on Christmas Day OP wouldn’t be in this predicament, because there would be more than enough volunteers available to work the shift.

OP cannot refuse the shift, she has been told she has to work, and I can’t see what she has to gain here by manipulating the situation with her employer.
    I don’t know what kind of places you’ve worked but simply telling my boss I’m ‘unavailable’ on a day I’m rostered to work wouldn’t cut it.

It’s not fair to leave other people who will have the day off in the lurch just because she doesn’t want to work. No one wants to work that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Doctors notes are not magic. Op could easily face disciplinary proceedings and be let go.

With Stress alot of employer's will not dare do anything about it.

Had a colleague out for 5 months with stress before the handed their notice in(once they had a job). They were annoyed they had to work 5 Sundays over summer.

Oh and the company I work for threaten legal action for lots, for example got someone to resign after they left a review on glassdoor

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

Lets get some perspective here. The OP is not the one being selfish. It is absolutely not fair that if the OP calls in sick or refuses to work on christmas day that someone else is called in to replace her. But that is not the OPs fault. That is the companies fault. It is unfair that they are putting that kind of pressure on their employes. I would hope any other employee that is asked to work christmas would also refuse. But if they don’t it is still not the OP’s fault.

No one needs to be working on Christmas day unless you work for emergency/essential services. This is purely motivated by greed and maximising profit. It the company is as big as the op says it is then they are bound to have international employees/employees who don’t celebrate christmas who would be willing to work christmas day for the right incentive. Chances are they have similar operations in other parts of the world that could pick up that slack for one day. The best thing that could happen is every employee refuses to work and the company wont be so quick to take the cheap/easy way out.

I have noticed it is becoming more and more common for companies to have employees working on christmas day. It is sad to see. International companies should respect the culture of the country it is operating in. Christmas is the one and only day of the year where the majority of people in Ireland get together to be with family and friends…a day people people spend weeks if not months preparing for. Can we not have one day that is “sacred”

It is the company that is being selfish here and putting undue pressure and disappointment on its employees

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭mr_cochise

Perspective?
    The security company is likely bound by contract to provide a security service on Christmas day as it is on any other day. If a security service is not required on Christmas day then it is likely not required on any other day of the year. Then this implies that the jobs would not be available! Which is it to be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    With Stress alot of employer's will not dare do anything about it.

Had a colleague out for 5 months with stress before the handed their notice in(once they had a job). They were annoyed they had to work 5 Sundays over summer.

Oh and the company I work for threaten legal action for lots, for example got someone to resign after they left a review on glassdoor

Better hope no one in the company reads boards so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Just act like an adult, hand in your notice and get another job.

Lets get some perspective here. The OP is not the one being selfish. It is absolutely not fair that if the OP calls in sick or refuses to work on christmas day that someone else is called in to replace her. But that is not the OPs fault. That is the companies fault. It is unfair that they are putting that kind of pressure on their employes. I would hope any other employee that is asked to work christmas would also refuse. But if they don’t it is still not the OP’s fault.

No one needs to be working on Christmas day unless you work for emergency/essential services. This is purely motivated by greed and maximising profit. It the company is as big as the op says it is then they are bound to have international employees/employees who don’t celebrate christmas who would be willing to work christmas day for the right incentive. Chances are they have similar operations in other parts of the world that could pick up that slack for one day. The best thing that could happen is every employee refuses to work and the company wont be so quick to take the cheap/easy way out.

I have noticed it is becoming more and more common for companies to have employees working on christmas day. It is sad to see. International companies should respect the culture of the country it is operating in. Christmas is the one and only day of the year where the majority of people in Ireland get together to be with family and friends…a day people people spend weeks if not months preparing for. Can we not have one day that is “sacred”

It is the company that is being selfish here and putting undue pressure and disappointment on its employees

The OP is a security guard they can’t get someone in another country to sit in a building in Dublin.

• Advertisement

mr_cochise wrote: »
    Perspective?
    The security company is likely bound by contract to provide a security service on Christmas day as it is on any other day. If a security service is not required on Christmas day then it is likely not required on any other day of the year. Then this implies that the jobs would not be available! Which is it to be?

Yes perspective. People are calling the OP selfish for wanting spend christmas day with her family. These people needs some perspective on who is being selfish.

Honestly I didnt read through the whole thread so I didn't know it was a security firm. However my point still stands. The company has all year to prepare for christmas and should arrange something that doesn't involve forcing employess to work on what is traditionally that one day a year we spend at home with our family. It is not selfish or unreasonable for anyone to want to have that day off. One such a solution is to get employees to work on a volunteer basis. Make the incentives worthwhile enough that people will volunteer.

Yes perspective. People are calling the OP selfish for wanting spend christmas day with her family. These people needs some perspective on who is being selfish.

Honestly I didnt read through the whole thread so I didn't know it was a security firm. However my point still stands. The company has all year to prepare for christmas and should arrange something that doesn't involve forcing employess to work on what is traditionally that one day a year we spend at home with our family. It is not selfish or unreasonable for anyone to want to have that day off. One such a solution is to get employees to work on a volunteer basis. Make the incentives worthwhile enough that people will volunteer.

It absolutely is selfish because she is forcing someone to forefit spending the day with their loved ones and their families so she can spend the day with hers.

It’s an inconsiderate and nasty thing to do.
    I have been the person who was called in, in a previous job, and it spoiled my whole Christmas.

If there was an overflow of people crying out to work on Christmas Day OP wouldn’t be in this predicament, because there would be more than enough volunteers available to work the shift.

OP cannot refuse the shift, she has been told she has to work, and I can’t see what she has to gain here by manipulating the situation with her employer.
    I don’t know what kind of places you’ve worked but simply telling my boss I’m ‘unavailable’ on a day I’m rostered to work wouldn’t cut it.

It’s not fair to leave other people who will have the day off in the lurch just because she doesn’t want to work. No one wants to work that day.

Op can refuse the shift. Happens all the time and bank holidays is no different. She wouldnt be leaving any one in the lurch as no one would be on call.

The contract manager would need to find some one who wants to work that day for the money or it would be a dropped shift. Dropped shifts happen all the time within the industry and its up to the manager to find the cover.

There strong arming her because it will free up a cover guard for a different site if they can get her to work it.

Op could walk into another security job tomorrow if she needed and probably with better pay and benefits. The company knows this aswell.

It has to be one of the worse industries for companies taking advantage of employees

Also this is one of the largest security company in the country and they employ people solely as cover guards for situations just like this

shanno66 wrote: »
    Op can refuse the shift. Happens all the time and bank holidays is no different. She wouldnt be leaving any one in the lurch as no one would be on call.

The contract manager would need to find some one who wants to work that day for the money or it would be a dropped shift. Dropped shifts happen all the time within the industry and its up to the manager to find the cover.

There strong arming her because it will free up a cover guard for a different site if they can get her to work it.

Op could walk into another security job tomorrow if she needed and probably with better pay and benefits. The company knows this aswell.

It has to be one of the worse industries for companies taking advantage of employees

Once again, If she could refuse the shift that easily with zero repercussions she wouldn’t be in this situation because she could just say no.

She evidently can’t say no without potentially losing her job which is why she finds herself in this predicament.

Once again, If she could refuse the shift that easily with zero repercussions she wouldn’t be in this situation because she could just say no.

She evidently can’t say no without potentially losing her job which is why she finds herself in this predicament.

Lol lose her job ? In security ? Not a chance would she lose her job. Companies cant keep there staff at the moment and no one gets the sack for refusing a shift. Even at christmas !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Sorry to hear of your problems op.
    But in relation to the facts you have given I don't blame the security from on this one, sounds like they have been fair to you most of the year, you probably used up all holiday hours and all other avenues available to you for time off, but there seems to be plenty of posters here and myself included that work security,but Christmas week and especially Christmas day is the worst time of the year to be In security if you want Christmas off,I tell you now most lads or lady's working with your security company have put in for Christmas holidays since June it's the only way to garntee holidays or time off during this period.
    In regards ringing in sick don't you won't have an easy time because of it.
    As other poster have stated you would get an job easy in another security firm , don't be so sure of it , things have started to tighten up on misconduct when employing new staff.
    Best of luck op and happy Christmas.
    P.s I am working a 12 hour shift Christmas day

• Advertisement

It absolutely is selfish because she is forcing someone to forefit spending the day with their loved ones and their families so she can spend the day with hers.

It’s an inconsiderate and nasty thing to do.
    I have been the person who was called in, in a previous job, and it spoiled my whole Christmas.

Nope, again it is the COMPANY that is being selfish. They had all year to prepare and get the staff for christmas who are willing to work christmas. The OP is not forcing anyone to work on christmas and she should not feel guilty if someone is called in her place.

I'm sorry that happened to you in the past but you should have refused. What you are saying is that the OP should suck it up and have her Christmas ruined so no one else has their christmas ruined in her place. But why should it be her? Why does she have to be the one to make the sacrifice? Because she was asked first. She was told to do it? It is equally unfair to her as it is for any employee that is asked in her place. Like you said no one wants to work christmas but just because you weren't the one asked to do it doesn't make fair for the person who was asked.

The only fair way to do it is to get people to volunteer. If no one does then you better give better incentives.

Nope, again it is the COMPANY that is being selfish. They had all year to prepare and get the staff for christmas who are willing to work christmas. The OP is not forcing anyone to work on christmas and she should not feel guilty if someone is called in her place.

I'm sorry that happened to you in the past but you should have refused. What you are saying is that the OP should suck it up and have her Christmas ruined so no one else has their christmas ruined in her place. But why should it be her? Why does she have to be the one to make the sacrifice? Because she was asked first. She was told to do it? It is equally unfair to her as it is for any employee that is asked in her place. Like you said no one wants to work christmas but just because you weren't the one asked to do it doesn't make fair for the person who was asked.

The only fair way to do it is to get people to volunteer. If no one does then you better give better incentives.

Yes and as OP stated, there were no volunteers as no one wanted to work.
    The fact that no one wants to work isn’t the company’s problem. That’s absolutely unreasonable.
    There are plenty of days I don’t want to work but I’m contractually obliged so I have to suck it up.

I think you will find in ANY industry, be it hospitality, retail, medical, security etc. nobody (or at least a very limited insufficient amount of people) wants to work these days so what are companies supposed to do?

OP has no annual leave left and has used up all her force majeur days.
    Her colleagues have booked the day off using annual leave.
    It isn’t her employers problem that she used up all her holiday leave. It isn’t her colleagues fault that she didn’t book the day off.
    It would be incredibly unfair of her to call in sick in these circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Depends,if her normal duty falls on Christmas Day then she has to do it.

ZX7R wrote: »
    Sorry to hear of your problems op.
    But in relation to the facts you have given I don't blame the security from on this one, sounds like they have been fair to you most of the year, you probably used up all holiday hours and all other avenues available to you for time off, but there seems to be plenty of posters here and myself included that work security,but Christmas week and especially Christmas day is the worst time of the year to be In security if you want Christmas off,I tell you now most lads or lady's working with your security company have put in for Christmas holidays since June it's the only way to garntee holidays or time off during this period.
    In regards ringing in sick don't you won't have an easy time because of it.
    As other poster have stated you would get an job easy in another security firm , don't be so sure of it , things have started to tighten up on misconduct when employing new staff.
    Best of luck op and happy Christmas.
    P.s I am working a 12 hour shift Christmas day

As long as you have a psa licence you will never be out of work in security. You only have to check jobs.ie or indeed to see every company is hiring all the time. They just dont get rid of people that easy because its hard to replace them. Id be shocked if op was out of work for more than a week if they did let her go which they wouldnt anyways imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭d9oiu2wk07blr5

OP do not feel guilty for wanting to spend time with your mum. You owe the employer nothing. In the circumstances, put your mum first. Life's too short to have any sort of regrets down the road.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement