Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wind / Rainfall Warning Mon 17th pm / Tues 18th am Dec 2018

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Awful morning in south Tipp at the manor meet. It was calm and dry 30 mins ago but wind howling and rain pouring down at the moment. Extremely windy night one of the worst I’ve heard in a long time and definitely the worst this winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Anyone out and about just beware plenty of branches about on the roads. Haven’t seen any big trees yet but lots surface water and driving conditions very poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

11.4mm of rain in Galway yesterday. 6.4mm was in a single hour (8-9pm).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

jvan wrote: »
    While I love reading this forum, I do find some posters are too quick to discount others own expeicenes.

The poster was correcting someone who stated it was way worse than previous storms. The facts show it wasn't but it was more sustained. If you don't have data to prove it, you can't say it was worse for a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Savage rain at 6am. The squall I presume. Eased up now. Meath.
    In laws no power in Wicklow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,280 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'm closer to Greystones, no figures to prove my theory only my ears and how the wind sounds through the house but as somebody mentioned Deirdre tracked further south than planned so might explain your higher figures.
    Could also be the south easterly versus south westerly of Deirdre too though. I was woken a few times during the night with the wind, which I normally wouldn't from the more usual South Westerlies.

Rain more of an issue across the wicklow mountains when I was coming in, but hard to guage whether worse than the weekend, given everywhere was already satuated. Just the flooding in the usual spots fwiw.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,052 ✭✭✭prunudo

Reati wrote: »
    The poster was correcting someone who stated it was way worse than previous storms. The facts show it wasn't but it was more sustained. If you don't have data to prove it, you can't say it was worse for a fact.

Unless that poster is standing in my location then their data is irrelevant too.
    As i said it wouldn't be feasible to install a weather station in my location so can only go on my own senses.
    I don't post very regularly on this forum but do have a interest in the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

We definitely got less rain (West Laois) than initially forecast - down from 40mm to about 12mm so that was a bonus. It appears the West got the brunt of the rain on this one. In terms of wind, max gust here around 80Kph or so, lower than storm Deirdre but like everywhere there was strong sustained winds for about 8 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

As others have mentioned definitely stronger gusts during Deirdre which lasted at tops an hour but last night was the worst sustained winds we have gotten in a long time. Very strong wind from about 1am till just past 5am. No power here now as I presume ESB are repairing fallen lines.
    One of the darkest mornings I have seen with the shortest day of the year just around the corner.
    Very Heavy rain and more strong gusts now...it’s a miserable morning for driving and of course it goes without saying traffic is a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Waking up to no power is no fun. Not sure when it returns as the PowerCheck gave an incorrect time for restore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Nice morning here in Tralee. Some clear skies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,118 ✭✭✭pad199207

Very heavy rain in Kildare

Torrential fall of rain now. Very loud

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Here's the analysis at 6 am. That trough off the west coast and moving eastwards at 15 knots should bring "occasional heavy thunderstorms" later, according to the Met Éireann aviation chart. Current cloud tops are near 30,000 ft with it.

ukmo_nat_fax_2018121806_000.png

468401.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

I didn't notice anything stormy here last night or this morning. There's only been 2.0mm rain recorded since midnight although seemingly there was very heavy rain recorded at 7am which I didn't notice. There wasn't any particularly strong wind noticed either and it's fairly light now. The current temperature's 9.7C.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Looks like another squall line developing/heading towards Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Ended up with 48.6mm of rain in Castlebar between 16.00 and 09.00.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,118 ✭✭✭pad199207

Pretty violent squall here in kildare
      Before it hit rain total was 12mm
      Now it’s 22mm

Rain rate hit 188mm/hr 😳

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Power went out here in Ashford, Wicklow at about 3:30am and was restored before the winds had died down between 7 and 8am. We are often quick to complain about services but huge kudos to the men and women working out in those conditions to restore power while I lay in my warm comfortable bed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Yeah, calmed down in the flick of a switch. It was definitely more intense and prolonged where I live than during Deirdre. While I have no data to back it up I can only go with my own senses.
      Just because a station in Arklow, Carlow or Dun Laoghaire recorded higher gusts during Deirdre doesn't mean my location wasn't as exposed to the same strength. There is no point me installing a weather station as my garden isn't ideal with neighbouring buildings and trees.
      While I love reading this forum, I do find some posters are too quick to discount others own expeicenes.
      I (we) aren’t
      Just stating what’s on available weather stations which is what is being compared
      Wicklow weather’s station near Ashford had a peak gust this morning 2mph less than Deirdre
      Those of us who record the weather do a lot of the time feel the same as you but Stats often correct us
      My point was Deirdre had lulls,this didn’t
      Deirdre was coastal,this wasn’t
      Coastal gusts can be blocked by headlands that locally mightn’t from other directions and vice versa
      Allied to that,night storms when people are lying in bed not sleeping are more noticeable versus being in a living room watching tv or doing something with other distractions

• Registered Users Posts: 7,052 ✭✭✭prunudo

In hindsight maybe the wording in my initial post was clumsy. The highest gust may not have been stronger and as I have no weather station I'll never know.
      But over a 6hr period I would describe last night as worse than Deirdre. Maybe it was the direction of the wind, maybe it was to do with the lie if the land.
      I can only go on my own opinion and experiences and in future when posting I will allude to this as opinion and not fact.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

Has anyone any recorded rainfall from that system in Kerry last night. It def felt like it made nearly 2 inches.

Just checked the met eireann website and it recorded 40 millimeters of rain yest. Interestingly and somewhat amazingly it only recorded 1.7 millimeters at Sherkin island!!

Just checked the met eireann website and it recorded 40 millimeters of rain yest. Interestingly and somewhat amazingly it only recorded 1.7 millimeters at Sherkin island!!

At Valentia we meant to say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

In hindsight maybe the wording in my initial post was clumsy. The highest gust may not have been stronger and as I have no weather station I'll never know.
      But over a 6hr period I would describe last night as worse than Deirdre. Maybe it was the direction of the wind, maybe it was to do with the lie if the land.
      I can only go on my own opinion and experiences and in future when posting I will allude to this as opinion and not fact.

This is a discussion forum,so please Continue to say what you think within forum rules,every post is an opinion
      Without opposing opinions, there is no discussion and no thinking
      Ophelia took down my weather station with the strength of it leaving me to only judge it's strength by how it bent iron girders on a new shed being built locally
      It hadn't been sheeted yet but the wind was strong enough for the timber trusses to bend down girders
      In my opinion that merited the red warning but I've no stats here to back that up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-46604175
      I hope they are all ok. it sounds like a nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Driving in this morning across the Wicklow mountains to avoid the rubberneckers on the M50 (another discussion!) was an experience. Heavy surface water everywhere, deep floods in places and fibre pole/lines down just outside Enniskerry. Serious deluge of rain last night. Really hope that some sort of cold dry spell manages to make inroads because I am so sick of the rain now

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Emptied 42mm out of the manual gauge this morning here near Tralee, 40mm fell from 17.00, must check later when it stopped. My site recorded many gusts over 70 km/h, ( measured at 8m approx and a bit sheltered ).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Carlingford Locked

Does anyone know if all this rain we've been having is collected properly? Do farmers have reservoirs etc that they can use if we get a few weeks of sun again next summer? I only ask because I spend a lot of time in a region of Spain where they grow stuff all year round, and it doesn't rain that much. Farmers all have little lakes and canals built that seems to collect all of the rainfall. You never hear anything about drought. I just can't comprehend how we can have drought issues in this country and we weren't allowed enjoy the sun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Does anyone know if all this rain we've been having is collected properly? Do farmers have reservoirs etc that they can use if we get a few weeks of sun again next summer? I only ask because I spend a lot of time in a region of Spain where they grow stuff all year round, and it doesn't rain that much. Farmers all have little lakes and canals built that seems to collect all of the rainfall. You never hear anything about drought. I just can't comprehend how we can have drought issues in this country and we weren't allowed enjoy the sun.

Drought issues are very rare here. There is no point in farmers building reservoirs/irrigation canals.

I enjoyed the sun immensely.

• Advertisement
    • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Peak of the storm lasted quiet a while in Waterford City with the highest gusts recorded between 2am and 5am. Max at my station was 85km/h and i recorded 80km/h + on at least 5 occasions during the time period i mentioned. Rainfall was 13.2mm for the event so nothing special there.
      Overall for its longevity and power a memorable storm

www.waterfordweather.com

Advertisement