Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wind / Rainfall Warning Mon 17th pm / Tues 18th am Dec 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

This sounds much worse than Deirdre in Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

468396.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 fordyjames

Fairly strong in South Kilkenny here, worse than the last two weather alerts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Just calmed here (Cork) in the last 15 mins or so. Wind has been savage all night with some severe gusts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

A full on ****storm. Thanks again to Met Eireann for nailing this and keeping the public advised...... 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Ferocious wind here in Celbridge woke me up a few mins ago as the front is passing through. Eased off a tad now.

There is no real "storm" centre as such so there's nothing to name This wind is due to a tight gradient between that semi-permanent low near Iceland and the high over Europe. I think the current national yellow warning covers it. Current max gust is 52 kts (96 kph) at Oak Park.
    Status Yellow - Wind warning for Leinster, Cavan and Monaghan

South to southeast winds will reach mean speeds at times between 50 and 65km/h and gusts between 90 and 100 km/h. Winds may exceed these limits in coastal areas.

Issued: Sunday 16 December 2018 19:00

Updated: Sunday 16 December 2018 19:00

Valid from Monday 17 December 2018 19:00 to Tuesday 18 December 2018 09:00

ukmo_nat_fax_2018121800_000.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Howling savage wind all night, that still goes on, and now with beating rain. Glad to hear others think it worse than storm Deirdre as that's what I find. The timbers in the house have been creaking all night. NW area.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

5am, Oak park Carlow gusting 52 knots.meanwhile, behind the front Belmullet just reporting light south westerly.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Very unusual for Oak Park to top wind reports, a station up on Blackstairs hit 143kmh!

We really need to move to impact based system for weather Warnings, the amount of messages I’m getting giving out about Warnings is crazy.

I’ve explained:

https://twitter.com/carlowweather/status/1074871816647270400?s=21

But I think people have just lost faith in the naming and warnings system.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Pretty wild/story here in Dublin 16 at the moment. Some very strong gusts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭piplip87

Fairly windy here in Virginia. Few bits blowing around the estate. This commute into Dublin should be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Was definitely a lot stronger gusts than the other day, I'd say once people start waking up and heading to work I'll be called out to trees or lines down somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭highdef

Looks like a squall line is going to hit me in the next few minutes in North Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,863 ✭✭✭prunudo

Said I'd come on here and see was anybody else discussing this 'storm'. Wild night here in east Wicklow, was/is stronger than the gusts during Deirdre.
    Can they not just go back to using the Beaufort scale for forecasting wind strengths.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,196 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

An awful morning in bray. Definetly worse than the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Decaying squall line about to move through Dublin now, a rough few minutes of high winds and pouring rain, if you're about to head out, so take care. This should gradually improve after this line moves into the Irish Sea (except for east Ulster which will deal with it until 0830h).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

jvan wrote: »
    Said I'd come on here and see was anybody else discussing this 'storm'. Wild night here in east Wicklow, was/is stronger than the gusts during Deirdre.
    Can they not just go back to using the Beaufort scale for forecasting wind strengths.

I can confirm it’s not stronger here in east Wicklow anyway than the gusts during Deirdre
    The issue tonight is the persistence (compared to Deirdre which had lulls) so it’s noisier for longer
    Peak gust here only in the 80’s so far but frequently near that all night which obviously means noise and probably more impact and certainly more noticeable

https://twitter.com/arklowweather/status/1074907115356078080?s=21

Edit latest gust 92kmh
    Deirdre’s peak here was 102kmh
    Rain is 6.2mm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

La.de.da wrote: »
    Jaysus awful night here in Tipperary.

It kept me (& my pooch) up ALL night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭vickers209

Fairly brutal morning here in Ashford Wicklow

Woke up to no power at home howling wind and driving rain

In work now have power here but its very heavy rain deffo worse than Saturday

Mortelaro wrote: »
    I can confirm it’s not stronger here in east Wicklow anyway than the gusts during Deirdre
    The issue tonight is the persistence (compared to Deirdre which had lulls) so it’s noisier for longer
    Peak gust here only in the 80’s so far but frequently near that all night which obviously means noise and probably more impact and certainly more noticeable

https://twitter.com/arklowweather/status/1074907115356078080?s=21

Edit latest gust 92kmh
    Deirdre’s peak here was 102kmh
    Rain is 6.2mm

I'm closer to Greystones, no figures to prove my theory only my ears and how the wind sounds through the house but as somebody mentioned Deirdre tracked further south than planned so might explain your higher figures.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Squall line just arriving here now in Dublin 16. Very heavy rain now.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pnpweirdo

Lovery calm morning in limerick. The wind howled from 7pm until about 4am. Even lost the power for an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭adam240610

Some of the strongest wind I've had in greystones a few minutes ago with driving rain

Now it's drizzling and completely still, incredible how suddenly the wind stopped just now

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭cowana

All night long Driving heavy rain and wild winds 1000ft ASL north Co wicklow , Woke family several times during the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

jvan wrote: »
    I'm closer to Greystones, no figures to prove my theory only my ears and how the wind sounds through the house but as somebody mentioned Deirdre tracked further south than planned so might explain your higher figures.

Dun Laoghaire harbor north of you got to 121kmh at Deirdre’speak,it was actually more coastal
    This one was more widespread and more persistent than Deirdre inland but for example Carlow weathers peak overnight did not exceed my Deirdre peak on the coast near Arklow

It’s calmed down a lot now

https://twitter.com/arklowweather/status/1074929766099234818?s=21

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Dun Laoghaire harbor north of you got to 121kmh at Deirdre’speak,it was actually more coastal

Max gust overnight/this morning of 102km/h at DunLaoghaire Harbour.

Has calmed down now in Dublin 16 with some light rain now. 14.0mm recorded since midnight.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

That was some wind around 5am in Dublin. Glad it wasn't 2 hours later as that would've caused severe disruption to the morning commuters

Yeah, calmed down in the flick of a switch. It was definitely more intense and prolonged where I live than during Deirdre. While I have no data to back it up I can only go with my own senses.
    Just because a station in Arklow, Carlow or Dun Laoghaire recorded higher gusts during Deirdre doesn't mean my location wasn't as exposed to the same strength. There is no point me installing a weather station as my garden isn't ideal with neighbouring buildings and trees.
    While I love reading this forum, I do find some posters are too quick to discount others own expeicenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Kept me up most of the night that wind and rain was worse that last named storm. DN20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,129 ✭✭✭✭km79

Missed the worst of it in east galway

Advertisement